HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk

View Poll Results: Who do you want? (Lottery pick)
Grigorenko 60 52.63%
Yakupov 48 42.11%
Other 6 5.26%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
A player with Belarussian Parents.
American born.
Bad Knees.

Might as well buy your Galenchyuk jersey now... He sounds like a Hab already.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
A player with Belarussian Parents.
American born.
Bad Knees.

Might as well buy your Galenchyuk jersey now... He sounds like a Hab already.

Does Galchenyuk speak Russian? Could be an interesting factor to consider, especially if we end up keeping Kostitsyn.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
My mind not easily swayed especially when it comes to matters of the Habs,stays with Grigorenko.Given an opportunity to draft Girgensons as well,then sway away I'll take the Latvian power forward also depending on the BPA's in between.From College ranks DiGiuseppe and Cristoval Nieves are a couple of forward talents that come to mind along with RD Jordan Schmaltz all that are presumed 2nd round choices in some peoples minds not mine.When looking through the CSS,ISS and McKeen's,TSN's etc.etc.etc. there are so many players left out of the 1st & 2nd rounds that players of stature will be chosen even into the fifth rounds this year.I am so glad the Habs have Gauthier and Timmins at the helm leading the Canadiens into the next generation.Go Habs Go!

Old
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm surprised by a few of these player positions. I thought Trouba was already considered a Top 10 pick and he certainly showed great potential in the WJC. Also surprised by a sudden drop by Dumba.

And who is Michael Matheson and why is he 10 spots above Ceci?
Matheson is a good prospect and a first round candidate, but I agree that he shouldn't be ten spots ahead of Ceci, who may well be a top 15 pick.

Personally i think Trouba may be the best defence prospect by the time the draft rols along...we shall see. He's my top-ranked dman right now.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Matheson is a good prospect and a first round candidate, but I agree that he shouldn't be ten spots ahead of Ceci, who may well be a top 15 pick.

Personally i think Trouba may be the best defence prospect by the time the draft rols along...we shall see. He's my top-ranked dman right now.
Trouba has done everything expected of a great defenceman,most noted of all is to not be noticed which does speak volumes by itself.He may be in the Top Three overall.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
TinordiandSubban

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610982

Mid-Term Rankings Released!

Faksa at 4 is a surprise, look real hard to find Hudon and Ebert.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Has Hudon really been that bad this year? I haven't seen him since Hlinka but I really liked his game there.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Has Hudon really been that bad this year? I haven't seen him since Hlinka but I really liked his game there.
Small players with average speed always get killed in CSS rankings.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Mathletic

oh well, I'd be more than happy to get Hudon in the 3rd lol!

Old
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Surprising that many consider Galchenyuk above Grigorenko.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
BigHabs

Do you draft for need or do you draft talent?

If we were go to from 1- 10 pick right now, I think we will be between 5-10 at this rate.

I think to be honest, though we are set on defense if he is still available I would go Ryan Murray.

I know others are saying Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and such. I personally think those are needs right now, but I think talent wise, Murray is going to be a stud dman where ever he goes. Not just because of his world juniors or such. Just seems very steady, reliable, poised with the puck. I think he will be a top 2 - 4 in this league.

I understand that our defense is almost set. I think Murray is a sure bet. I understand. Subban, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin. Just because we have all that, doesn't mean we can't keep building it. Murray would be the perfect guy to complete our future defense and focus later on offense. If anything going forward our defense needs to be fixed and restructed IMO. Offense this year if we can stock a few 2nd's we can stock pile our fowards from a deep draft and go forward. Not every star is out fo the 1st round, which we could use to our advantage if we can good drafting.

I would try to move Moen, Gill, Kostitsyn for maybe a 1st or get some 2nd's for them. Draft the forwards after our 1st pick this draft.

Gaunce seems like he could be available late 20's, if we could trade the mentioned above and acquire a 1st from a team going for the cup this year, we could really have a great chance to stock up.

We could also trade our 1st to drop in the 1st round to acquire later picks. I wouldnt do this unless we were getting 2 late firsts back.

So who do you draft if we could say 5-10 spot, talent or need? What or who do you trade to possibly acquire another 1st rounder?

Last edited by BigHabs: 01-11-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old
01-11-2012, 11:51 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Best player available.

The habs have too many holes to pick and choose based on position.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Maitz
Chucky#27

I dont know who but we need a gamebreaker prospect now, no matter who it is

Old
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

If Yakupov, Grigorenko,Forsberg or Galchenyuk are gone, best player available.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 01-11-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Ideally a big top line forward, but BPA. I really hope that player is a forward though.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

The Habs should take Hudon IMO. He has skills.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
jwolf

They say you shouldn't draft for need, but I think there are exceptions. When there are urgent situations (serious lacking of a #1C or if you're very thin on D) and you have a high draft pick, I don't see how you have much of a choice.
So on that note, I'd take one of Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Girgensons. If we are able to acquire another 1st round pick, that would provide more latitude to take Murphy or Dumba, let's say, and try and get Gaunce in the late teens or early 20's.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Does Galchenyuk speak Russian? Could be an interesting factor to consider, especially if we end up keeping Kostitsyn.
he is american, his dad is russian, mom american but he calls himself american.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
They say you shouldn't draft for need, but I think there are exceptions. When there are urgent situations (serious lacking of a #1C or if you're very thin on D) and you have a high draft pick, I don't see how you have much of a choice.
So on that note, I'd take one of Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Girgensons. If we are able to acquire another 1st round pick, that would provide more latitude to take Murphy or Dumba, let's say, and try and get Gaunce in the late teens or early 20's.
You got a time machine we can use ?

Old
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post

If we were go to from 1- 10 pick right now, I think we will be between 5-10 at this rate.

I think to be honest, though we are set on defense if he is still available I would go Ryan Murray.

I know others are saying Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and such. I personally think those are needs right now, but I think talent wise, Murray is going to be a stud dman where ever he goes. Not just because of his world juniors or such. Just seems very steady, reliable, poised with the puck. I think he will be a top 2 - 4 in this league.

I understand that our defense is almost set. I think Murray is a sure bet. I understand. Subban, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin. Just because we have all that, doesn't mean we can't keep building it. Murray would be the perfect guy to complete our future defense and focus later on offense. If anything going forward our defense needs to be fixed and restructed IMO. Offense this year if we can stock a few 2nd's we can stock pile our fowards from a deep draft and go forward. Not every star is out fo the 1st round, which we could use to our advantage if we can good drafting.

I would try to move Moen, Gill, Kostitsyn for maybe a 1st or get some 2nd's for them. Draft the forwards after our 1st pick this draft.

Gaunce seems like he could be available late 20's, if we could trade the mentioned above and acquire a 1st from a team going for the cup this year, we could really have a great chance to stock up.

We could also trade our 1st to drop in the 1st round to acquire later picks. I wouldnt do this unless we were getting 2 late firsts back.

So who do you draft if we could say 5-10 spot, talent or need? What or who do you trade to possibly acquire another 1st rounder?
I was going to write the same thing, almost verbatim. not all the trading stuff, but definitely would take Murray if he was available. I'm guessing that if we're still in the position we're in at the moment come trade deadline day, we'll flip Moen for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I still think that in order for this team to progress we need to re-sign AK, trade Cammy, and send Gomez to Hamilton (and buy him out starting next year). The Cammy-Plex-Gionta line is a reflection of why this team fails, while the AK-Eller-Moen line is a reflection of why it succeeds. You can't just win with skill and speed anymore--it doesn't work. As far as the draft is concerned, I'd try to stockpile some picks by dealing some players at the deadline. Gill and Moen do make sense, not AK though. You don't deal your most gifted offensive player for a pick. Gauthier needs to work his butt off and find a taker for Cammy, simple as that. He's expensive but there's got to be someone out there who would want him. I seriously doubt he's suddenly over the hill; but regardless, he's not the kind of player that will work here or get over the top.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Say you're thin on D but stacked on offense but the best player by a fair margin is a gifted forward who is the most likely to be NHL ready and produce now... imo you still take that gifted forward and worst case scenario trade from a position of wealth. The best player will yield the best return.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Say you're thin on D but stacked on offense but the best player by a fair margin is a gifted forward who is the most likely to be NHL ready and produce now... imo you still take that gifted forward and worst case scenario trade from a position of wealth. The best player will yield the best return.
Case in Point the 2011 draft when Philly took Couturier over Hamilton.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Tim Wallach

It's looking like a weak draft year. Perfect storm of luck for Habs this season. I love Faksa...watch him all the time... but when he's at #4 it's a questionable year. He's not a lock by any stretch as an NHL force.

One player I'd like to see Montreal consider in the 7th (or free agent invite) is Evan McEneny out of Kitchener. Could be a steal. He was a high OHL pick (2nd round) who had a solid rookie year. Then he looked like a man possessed to start this year. He was head-and-shoulders above the competition in exhibition and early season play before tearing his ACL and missing the season. I know it's an injury risk, but I'll say this... he was definitely well ahead of Iafrate, who is rated in the 4th round.

I think it's worth a flyer. Medium size, but all around skill. Above average in all areas and good leadership.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Id be happy with anyone in the top 3 Nail, Mikhail or Filip. Ive been getting really excited about forsbergs speed and skating ability.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Tribu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post

IMO, Gaunce will go top 10. He's the kind of players that teams LOVE to have. Drive the net, physical, fights. He'll go higher than expected.

Closed Thread