HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2011 Futbol Thread--Que Golaso!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2011, 06:34 AM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
at least women's USA soccer isn't a failure. men's on the other hand
USA mens soccer isn't a failure. It's suffering from stagnant development. That is a major issue the USSF has to deal with.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:29 AM
AJRanger

I've always said that the US Men's team could be the best in the world if there was a proper infrastructure in place to keep kids playing the game beyond a certain age. They just seem to stop at a certain point, at least that's what it looks like from here.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I've always said that the US Men's team could be the best in the world if there was a proper infrastructure in place to keep kids playing the game beyond a certain age. They just seem to stop at a certain point, at least that's what it looks like from here.
A lot of kids in the States grow up playing soccer, but switch full-time to other sports once they reach high school. Baseball, football (American), track...in the Northeast, even lacrosse. At least that's how it was 10 years ago when I was in high school.

It's just pain.
Old
07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

I'm a fine example of a kid who moved on to another sport: Ice Hockey. Keep in mind I am a first generation American with family form Argentina, so you can imagine my love for futbol is pretty intense. I *love* futbol, hell, dare I say more than hockey, but when I was growing up, there just wasn't an option here. I was 17 when the MLS started and was heavily focused on trying to make a career out of hockey.

The fact remains that today I see more kids wearing soccer jerseys than I do baseball jerseys. Maybe it's a product of where I live, but it's by far and away one of, if not the most popular sports around here, and we're talking well past childhood.

The USA's problem is consistency and recognition/development of talent. If they can find that, they'll be excellent. I don't see us challenging for the next WC, but the following one should be VERY interesting. Our youngsters are extremely talented, and with the right direction, I can really see the USA doing some wonderful things.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Side note: What a ****ing goal by Wambach yesterday! That cross and that goal were just amazing. I literally jumped out of my seat and cheered!

Old
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I didn't know Ziva David from NCIS played goal for Brazil

Old
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Or if they could keep some of the kids that leave for other International teams. IE Rossi.

Old
07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Losing Rossi hurt.

Of course my "other" team is Italy, as my grandparents were all from there, so it hurts me less.

Old
07-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
The USA's problem is consistency and recognition/development of talent. If they can find that, they'll be excellent. I don't see us challenging for the next WC, but the following one should be VERY interesting. Our youngsters are extremely talented, and with the right direction, I can really see the USA doing some wonderful things.
You bring up a very interesting and legitimate point. Also, youth leagues, at least in my part of the US, are very political and heavily controlled by those that hold power positions (club presidents, coaches, etc.). Before you all think I'm an arrogant dick whose head is inflated beyond capacity, I've never shared my personal story with anyone except close friends and family. I'm going to take this chance to explain why I'm personally a walking case study of this.

I played most of my club soccer in my hometown, started playing on a travel club when I was 7 years old. From the beginning, the team was divided into two cliques; one who were the popular jocks and those that didn't fit into that group were filtered into a second group; I fell into the latter group.

Flash forward 6 years, I've started to light up every non-hometown league I've played in. One coach even personally called me up and offered me a starting 11 spot on his select club after seeing me play. Turns out the team was one of the best in the country at the time. Not even two weeks later, I got a call from the US Soccer ODP director, inviting me to attend one of their camps. However, I had to turn both down, as the travel schedule was too much for my parents to handle.

Get to high school, I'm a small guy but have all the skill in the world. Long story short, I was bumped from playing time the first three years because the coach favored bigger, more aggressive players. Basically rode the bench playing limited minutes during that time.

The winter before my senior year, I put up over 50 goals in a very competitive winter league, and was named a co-captain for senior year. Come the fall, however, the same thing happened, and I rode the bench. A combination of the coach favoring the aforementioned bigger players and having parents of the players in the coach's ear (that weren't exactly fans of me either for the interest of their own kids) led me to play a minimal role on the team.

In short, I went from possibly one of the best prospects US Soccer had to absolutely nothing. For that, I blame the developmental philosophy that this country has in developing players in the critical stages of development (surprise, surprise, right around 14-17 years old when things started to go down the toilet for me). The whole developmental system needs to be blown up.

The US Soccer program has an abundance of athletic players with size. It's time to cultivate some players with skill so the US can start competing with the Brazils, Argentinas, and Spains of the world futbol scene.

Old
07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Losing Rossi hurt.

Of course my "other" team is Italy, as my grandparents were all from there, so it hurts me less.
same here haha

Old
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
Losing Rossi hurt.

There are 2 main reasons I refuse to root for Italy as my 2nd team.

1. They are mostly a bunch of diving pansies
2. Rossi

Old
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
You bring up a very interesting and legitimate point. Also, youth leagues, at least in my part of the US, are very political and heavily controlled by those that hold power positions (club presidents, coaches, etc.). Before you all think I'm an arrogant dick whose head is inflated beyond capacity, I've never shared my personal story with anyone except close friends and family. I'm going to take this chance to explain why I'm personally a walking case study of this.

I played most of my club soccer in my hometown, started playing on a travel club when I was 7 years old. From the beginning, the team was divided into two cliques; one who were the popular jocks and those that didn't fit into that group were filtered into a second group; I fell into the latter group.

Flash forward 6 years, I've started to light up every non-hometown league I've played in. One coach even personally called me up and offered me a starting 11 spot on his select club after seeing me play. Turns out the team was one of the best in the country at the time. Not even two weeks later, I got a call from the US Soccer ODP director, inviting me to attend one of their camps. However, I had to turn both down, as the travel schedule was too much for my parents to handle.

Get to high school, I'm a small guy but have all the skill in the world. Long story short, I was bumped from playing time the first three years because the coach favored bigger, more aggressive players. Basically rode the bench playing limited minutes during that time.

The winter before my senior year, I put up over 50 goals in a very competitive winter league, and was named a co-captain for senior year. Come the fall, however, the same thing happened, and I rode the bench. A combination of the coach favoring the aforementioned bigger players and having parents of the players in the coach's ear (that weren't exactly fans of me either for the interest of their own kids) led me to play a minimal role on the team.

In short, I went from possibly one of the best prospects US Soccer had to absolutely nothing. For that, I blame the developmental philosophy that this country has in developing players in the critical stages of development (surprise, surprise, right around 14-17 years old when things started to go down the toilet for me). The whole developmental system needs to be blown up.

The US Soccer program has an abundance of athletic players with size. It's time to cultivate some players with skill so the US can start competing with the Brazils, Argentinas, and Spains of the world futbol scene.
This is eminently believable if you know the US soccer development "system." There is such an incredible overemphasis on athleticism, which draws attention away from developing technical skills. You hear, time and again, about how too much attention is paid to the kids who develop the fastest physically instead of focusing on technical abilities.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:38 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post

The politics are the biggest problem. So much sacrifice is demanded from the families that it is a "rich boy's sport" at the higher levels, and it is who you know. All of the inner city kids in the southwest, who are incredibly skilled and love the game, have not shot to get through the US Soccer NDP. Want to change the US MNT's "visitor" status when playing in LA? Get some of those naturalized citizen Mexican and Central American kids into the program. Get them on to the MNT.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys, enough with the "xxxx is so hot isn't she?" Be respectful of our diverse base of posters.

Old
07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
nyrmetros

NY is still tied with Philly at the top spot in the eastern conference in mls.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt85 View Post
There are 2 main reasons I refuse to root for Italy as my 2nd team.

1. They are mostly a bunch of diving pansies
2. Rossi
I can't stand the people who born in USA choose to root for Italy over us. And Guiseppe Rossi can get lost. I would love to eliminate him from the WC.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
nyrmetros

And as a USA soccer supporter, I honestly thought this edition of the USA women's team was going to be ignored by the media and the country. Glad I was wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;..._tweets_071111

I wonder what the tv ratings were of the game.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
ecemleafs

Kun show in South America.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
nyrmetros

Did anyone see the Portland vs Seattle match on Sunday? What an incredible atmosphere.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:50 PM
The New Originals

It's nice to see soccer get some respect in the American media. Loved hearing about the World Cup today.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Did anyone see the Portland vs Seattle match on Sunday? What an incredible atmosphere.
Seriously. If you hid the score display, you'd think you were watching a match in Latin America. Unbelievable. The type of atmosphere I never thought I'd see in the States.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:59 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Seriously. If you hid the score display, you'd think you were watching a match in Latin America. Unbelievable. The type of atmosphere I never thought I'd see in the States.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3SVaJJfuY

Old
07-11-2011, 10:11 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
And as a USA soccer supporter, I honestly thought this edition of the USA women's team was going to be ignored by the media and the country. Glad I was wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;..._tweets_071111

I wonder what the tv ratings were of the game.
Its funny, but they really had to play the kind of perfect game -- not in terms of skill, but in terms of excitement -- vs Brazil to garner that kind of attention.
And thats exactly what they did.
I'm only p*ssed that the semi-final is being played at 12PM on Wednesday and most of us are going to miss watching it live

Old
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Fixed it for us here.

Good luck for wednesday guys & gals, should be a good game.
A 1998 World Cup followed by a 2000 European Championship followed by a 2006 WC Finals appearance? Not a half bad resume, that.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:43 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Portland is a serious soccer town.

Closed Thread