HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 Futbol Thread--Que Golaso!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 01:34 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Portland is a serious soccer town.
I really hope the Red Bulls can improve their attendance. Great franchise. Killer stadium. People need to catch on. It's a blast.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:44 AM
BroadwayBlueshirt85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I really hope the Red Bulls can improve their attendance. Great franchise. Killer stadium. People need to catch on. It's a blast.
The supporter's section is great, but the rest of the crowd usually is sparse and quiet

Old
07-12-2011, 06:56 AM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlueshirt85 View Post
The supporter's section is great, but the rest of the crowd usually is sparse and quiet
I'll you all, if you have a chance to get to a Redbulls game, especially against a big rival, you NEED to go! You'll have a great time! The atmosphere of that stadium, considering it's here, in the states, is off the chain on big games. I know a whole load of those people in the supporters sections really well. They're a rowdy, fun bunch, and usually head to the pub about 5 blocks away from the stadium after the games.

I always say the same thing. Here we are, a country of immigrants, yet the world's game is practically ignored. It's never made sense to me.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:26 AM
sycamore

Hate to say it, but not only wouldn't it surprise me if the French team beats the US on Wednesday, it wouldn't surprise me if they won by multiple goals. I've watched a couple of the French games, and their midfield (especially players #10 and #14) is one of the best in the tournament. In the game against England, France dominated time of possesion by a wide margin, and that was direct result of their excellent midfield. And their two main strikers, Delie (18) and Thiney (17) are going to give the US defence problems with their huge size and blazing speed (particularly Delie).
If the US is going to beat that team they will need a huge game from (surprise) Solo in goal, and Wambach has to continue to provide more magic. I really dont see it happening, because I think that French midfield will dominate possession as they have in most of their games.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
I'll you all, if you have a chance to get to a Redbulls game, especially against a big rival, you NEED to go! You'll have a great time! The atmosphere of that stadium, considering it's here, in the states, is off the chain on big games. I know a whole load of those people in the supporters sections really well. They're a rowdy, fun bunch, and usually head to the pub about 5 blocks away from the stadium after the games.

I always say the same thing. Here we are, a country of immigrants, yet the world's game is practically ignored. It's never made sense to me.
The Metro have 3 supporters clubs, each with their own section and their own pub. The Empire Supporters Club stand in section 101 and operates out of El Pastor. The Garden State Supporters stand in section 133 and drink at MMBellos. The Viking Army stands in section 102 and drinks at Catas. Three different clubs for supporters. You definitely must go to a game and stand with them and you will eventually join one.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I've been to 2 games this year, my first 2 MLS games ever.

It's a fun event, but the game play is pretty bad, especially when Marquez and the boys were away for the Gold Cup.

Henry, while still a great player, is super lazy.

It's not a good product, but it's a fun thing to do with your girlfriend when you run out of things to do with your girlfriend.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
AJRanger

Nice to see Becks and Henry will be in the MLS All-Star team when we play them later in the month. Looking forward to pre-season starting tomorrow, anyone care to clue me in on whether any of the MLS sides United are playing will be worth a late night for? (New England, Seattle, Chicago).

Old
07-12-2011, 05:06 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Oh, and this:

I can watch that over and over. USA! USA!
One of my favorite parts of the video is the German crowd EXPLODING after Wambach heads that ball in.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:16 PM
ThisYearsModel

The stadium's location is not exactly a garden spot. Been gone from NJ for many years now, but on the train from Newark Airport, the stadium sure stands out from the rest of the surrounding area. With the games on TV from the pro leagues around the world all the time, there needs to be a draw for MLS games. Hard to differentiate themselves in an area with so much to do. The Cosmos had a roster of players from all over the world and that helped them draw fans.....they also played internationals that drew fans of the opponents and exposed them to Cosmos soccer. The Bulls should do the same......get some national team games but stage them at the arena instead of the meadowlands stadium to expose people to the venue. That could also help.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:47 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
You bring up a very interesting and legitimate point. Also, youth leagues, at least in my part of the US, are very political and heavily controlled by those that hold power positions (club presidents, coaches, etc.). Before you all think I'm an arrogant dick whose head is inflated beyond capacity, I've never shared my personal story with anyone except close friends and family. I'm going to take this chance to explain why I'm personally a walking case study of this.

I played most of my club soccer in my hometown, started playing on a travel club when I was 7 years old. From the beginning, the team was divided into two cliques; one who were the popular jocks and those that didn't fit into that group were filtered into a second group; I fell into the latter group.

Flash forward 6 years, I've started to light up every non-hometown league I've played in. One coach even personally called me up and offered me a starting 11 spot on his select club after seeing me play. Turns out the team was one of the best in the country at the time. Not even two weeks later, I got a call from the US Soccer ODP director, inviting me to attend one of their camps. However, I had to turn both down, as the travel schedule was too much for my parents to handle.

Get to high school, I'm a small guy but have all the skill in the world. Long story short, I was bumped from playing time the first three years because the coach favored bigger, more aggressive players. Basically rode the bench playing limited minutes during that time.

The winter before my senior year, I put up over 50 goals in a very competitive winter league, and was named a co-captain for senior year. Come the fall, however, the same thing happened, and I rode the bench. A combination of the coach favoring the aforementioned bigger players and having parents of the players in the coach's ear (that weren't exactly fans of me either for the interest of their own kids) led me to play a minimal role on the team.

In short, I went from possibly one of the best prospects US Soccer had to absolutely nothing. For that, I blame the developmental philosophy that this country has in developing players in the critical stages of development (surprise, surprise, right around 14-17 years old when things started to go down the toilet for me). The whole developmental system needs to be blown up.

The US Soccer program has an abundance of athletic players with size. It's time to cultivate some players with skill so the US can start competing with the Brazils, Argentinas, and Spains of the world futbol scene.
I agree with a lot of this. My town for my age group had two travel teams one was in like D7, then other hovered around D1, D2 ... at first I was on the D7 team and I put up on average 2 goals a game for my two season there and was immediately called up to the "A team" in the D1, D2 stages.

Immediately I admit I was intimidated at first, but it proved no challenge and in my first game slotted in my usual spot at right midfield I tallied 2 goals. The next game I found myself out of the starting lineup coming off the bench as a Right dman, I played four more seasons (2 years) and never scored another goal.

Even with a trainer as a coach, the parents influence on teams is still mighty and determines many things. The kids on that team were all *** holes to put it nicely, and it really ruined soccer for me. I'm not saying I was a god or anything, but I know I would have played at the high school level and possibly farther had the sport not been ruined for me, not to mention the same kids playing travel were the ones on the school team.

A lot goes into the development, and I'm sure it happens in every sport but outside parental influence is a huge factor as well. I know my parents never lobbied to the trainer for my playing time, but I can't say the same for the rest of the kids on that team.

There are ways around this though, to this day my brothers continue to play in leagues in the city and sometimes I join them, but I don't think I'll ever get my game back completely.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
nyrmetros

Where is everyone watching the USA women's game??

Old
07-12-2011, 11:56 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
In my kitchen while working

Old
07-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Quote:
On my couch. Its weird tho, I only watch soccer during World Cups, but I took off work to watch this one tomorrow. Got so jacked up watching that game vs Brazil that I really want to watch this Semifinal game. Just sucks if we win, I have a doubleheader baseball game on Sunday during the Finals.

Old
07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
nyrmetros

I wonder what the tv ratings will be for today's game. Massive I hope.

Old
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Nice to see Becks and Henry will be in the MLS All-Star team when we play them later in the month. Looking forward to pre-season starting tomorrow, anyone care to clue me in on whether any of the MLS sides United are playing will be worth a late night for? (New England, Seattle, Chicago).
Kansas City managed to beat Man United 1-0 last year, so there is always the chance that you'll get to see a competitive game.

If you're a big fan of the club, I don't see why not. I know i'm going to try to catch all the Ranger "friendlies" in the preseason this year.

This all star lineup that we're going to put out is much better than years past. I hope we can at least keep it close with ManU.

07-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
I wonder what the tv ratings will be for today's game. Massive I hope.
Not too sure a game against France can compete with a game against Brazil. Still should be a good game to watch though. France had a big emotional win against England.

Since broadcasters are calling Sunday the Miracle on Grass, its kinda like the US win against Finland for the gold medal... ratings were not as high as the game against Russia.

I'll be watching it at our trading desk.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Kansas City managed to beat Man United 1-0 last year, so there is always the chance that you'll get to see a competitive game.

If you're a big fan of the club, I don't see why not. I know i'm going to try to catch all the Ranger "friendlies" in the preseason this year.

This all star lineup that we're going to put out is much better than years past. I hope we can at least keep it close with ManU.
Yeah, that's true, I'd actually forgotten about the Kansas game to be fair. Should have a pretty strong line-up for these games outside of De Gea not being there yet, probably will try and catch what I can.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

As the Germans say, OOSA! OOSA! OOSA! OOSA! OOSA!

Let's go girls!

Old
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Live stream anyone?

07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

1-0 Usa!!!!

Old
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Live stream anyone?
ESPN3 is streaming it

Old
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

U.S.A's got this.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:25 AM
nyrmetros

Surprised the stadium is so empty when it was sold out last game. Anyway, c'mon you Yanks!

Old
07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
ESPN3 is streaming it
not an option at work. any other?

Old
07-13-2011, 11:30 AM