HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

6th Rounders Are the New 5th Rounders (2011-2012 Prospect Updates)

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Looks like we could have 2 prospects on the Canadian WJC team. That would be nice, and if Ritchie progresses nicely, we have a gem on our hands.

Old
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Oleksiak spoke to TSN on why he choose Canada, he said he's always felt like he was a Canadian kid and not American.

Old
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Just saw the interview now on TSN, glad he decided to go to Canada instead of US. I think he has a good chance at making the team, i've been watching the WJC for awhile now and Canada needs size on their team.

As for Ritchie, he is produces quit a few points in these scrimmages. It be awesome to have two prospect on team Canada! It would only make me cheer for them even more. Hope both make it on the team. So far it's been a good start for both Ritchie and Jamie, just hope they can keep it up!

Old
08-07-2011, 10:51 PM
txomisc

was hard to tell who was who watching the game tonight. Oleksiak was really the only player who is easily identifiable due to his size. He looked pretty good, imo. Hes a beast around the boards and he has better hands than I expected to see from him as far as puckhandling goes.

Old
08-09-2011, 09:04 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Blais said barring injury, Campbell is a lock to be the starter for the U.S. for a third straight WJC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Blais
"Jack Campbell has proven himself to be the go-to guy. Whether the other goaltenders can improve to the point they can challenge him … certainly I think Jack is in a category of his own right now."

Old
08-09-2011, 11:19 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I really think we could be a top team in the NHL in 3 years with our prospects and I really feel Campbell will become one of the best young goalies in the NHL soon, he had a rough season in his first year in the CHL, but I really feel that he will turn it around this year.

I'm excited about the future

Old
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Campbell getting lit up against Sweden today. Let in a shorty when he mishandled the puck, then Nemeth beat him with a wrister to make it 3-0 Sweden in the 2nd.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Brand New Stars

Yay Nemeth?

Old
08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Nemeth showing he has untapped offensive potential?

Old
08-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Nemeth showing he has untapped offensive potential?
Hopefully he can be a 25 point shutdown defensemen once he becomes a Stars regular.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this up for discussion...

Hockey Prospectus' rankings of all 30 organizations' prospect pools.

Quote:
28. Dallas Stars: Reilly Smith had a fine breakout season in the CCHA, but with 2010 top pick Jack Campbell falling flat in the OHL and Scott Glennie looking more like a third line player than a top-six player has given cause for concern about where this system is going.
Obviously most fanbases are going to feel that their prospect pools are fairly solid but Dallas being third from last is a farce. The list in general has a ton of question marks.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post

Obviously most fanbases are going to feel that their prospect pools are fairly solid but Dallas being third from last is a farce. The list in general has a ton of question marks.
That article is a joke. Detroit with the best prospect pool? Reilly Smith as the Stars' top prospect? Really?

Old
08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
That author is notorious for garbage articles.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Those rankings are just pure scoreboard watching. Rank the forwards by points and the defenseman by ice time and adjust for the quality of their level of competition. Oh yeah and ignore Campbell's 2 best WJC U20 goalie awards because that's not a statistic.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Don't worry when that was brought up in the Prospects Boards ever fanbase disagreed with it (Even Red Wings fans lol)

Old
08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
denniso

While Detroit has an amazing draft record, I think it has been elevated to mythical status. In the same fashion, Dallas had a history of horrible prospect development back when they focused on gritty character western Canadians over talent.

I found if you look at THNs ratings of top prospects, late Detroit picks were always credited as being a steal. Some were, but some never lived up to the THN rankings. Meanwhile, there was little love for Erickson, Neal, Benn until after they proved themselves in the NHL. This bias continues today, partly because it is hard to project prospects before they step onto the ice with NHL competition, so the past team development history colors the future projections. The other reason is that writers write because they are the "hockey experts", yet their expertise may be describing NHL action, and not their depth and breadth of knowledge of the prospects of every NHL team.

I happen to think that the combo of Les Jackson/Joe Nieuwendyk has our system headed in the right direction.

Old
08-12-2011, 08:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Good to see that Klingberg's injury isn't serious. He played today.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Klingberg had an assist in Sweden's final game.

Old
08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
dustyrockon

Ive seen nothing in this thread about Tomas Vincour, what do you guys think he projects as next season? Seeing as he did play 24 games last season in the NHL. Only two points yes, but how do you guys feel he will pan out?

Old
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrockon View Post
Ive seen nothing in this thread about Tomas Vincour, what do you guys think he projects as next season? Seeing as he did play 24 games last season in the NHL. Only two points yes, but how do you guys feel he will pan out?
I have him penciled into our AHL lineup. He can definitely play in the NHL this coming season and be an effective player but with the moves made during free agency there is no pressing need for him to fill a role here now. It's hard to say what his top-end potential is but I'm fairly sure he won't ever reach it if he plays all season this year in the NHL.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
cheerupmurray

It might be of some interest for you to know that Emil Molin, your fourth round pick in 2011 have played very well in the two opening preseason games for Brynäs. It's really surprising that he got the opportunity to play at all since he didn't even play j-20 hockey last season and I figured he was waaaay down Brynäs depth chart. Maybe this kid could turn out to something, I had no idea who this kid was (except that he was the son of the Brynäs legend Ove Molin) when he was drafted and I pride myself of seeing quite a lot of junior hockey and keeping track of players.

Emil Molin was a very surprising pick, but I was just as surprised by John Klingberg being picked 2010 (almost) and that pick turned out well so far.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:00 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I didn't know Molin's dad was a player, that's good to know. He definitely seemed to be a rather unknown guy who probably only had a couple teams interested in him. My fingers are crossed.

Old
08-18-2011, 05:49 AM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
I didn't know Molin's dad was a player, that's good to know. He definitely seemed to be a rather unknown guy who probably only had a couple teams interested in him. My fingers are crossed.
His father Ove played 18 seasons for his (and Emils) SEL-team Brynäs and is ranked at 8th place for scoring alltime in elitserien.

Emil Molin played in (and was the topscorer in) the j18 league which probably isn't scouted much at all, unlike Superelit (j-20). If you look through the last couple of drafts Dallas seems to know what they are doing when picking swedes, and often choosing a bit unknowned guys.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
It might be of some interest for you to know that Emil Molin, your fourth round pick in 2011 have played very well in the two opening preseason games for Brynäs. It's really surprising that he got the opportunity to play at all since he didn't even play j-20 hockey last season and I figured he was waaaay down Brynäs depth chart. Maybe this kid could turn out to something, I had no idea who this kid was (except that he was the son of the Brynäs legend Ove Molin) when he was drafted and I pride myself of seeing quite a lot of junior hockey and keeping track of players.

Emil Molin was a very surprising pick, but I was just as surprised by John Klingberg being picked 2010 (almost) and that pick turned out well so far.
Thanks for the report. I'm sure I speak for most, if not all, of us in saying we would appreciate the occasional report on him. It's always nice to hear a first-hand report on someone we don't get to watch.

Old
08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Jere26

Klingberg played his first pre-season friendly (European Trophy) with Jokerit vs Luleå tonight (2-1 victory).
He was paired with captain Väänänen and also got some PP time. I was very pleased with him, great vision, passing abilities and so much confidence for such a young player! I can't wait so see more of him this season. He will be a great addition to Jokerit and an important piece in PP. Thrilled to see his development throughout this season. And Dallas should be thrilled, too.

From the official European Trophy live report website:
Quote:
Some gameplay info for Jokerit fans out there: defenders are supporting the attacks really strongly this season. Especially Klingberg and Nordlund seem to be almost as fourth forwards out there sometimes. Tonight there has been good balance and Luleå has had close to none odd man rushes.

Closed Thread