HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

6th Rounders Are the New 5th Rounders (2011-2012 Prospect Updates)

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
I have Vincour cracking the Dallas roster. He plays two-way hard hitting hockey, Gullys favorite.

Old
08-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
Just a couple of quick notes for you guys, for whatever they're worth.

- Working on a new top-20, it's that time of year. In the past, the top was easy and the rest was a little hit-or-miss (as expected) because the players were one in the same: Sceviour, Tassone, Sawada, Clune, Watkins, etc. all roughly the same thing...character/role forwards. This time around, well, I've never had a harder time.

- This is a quality prospect pool, and I hope to have reflected that in the rankings. Full disclosure, it's going to take me a second top-20 to get it "right" with the 2011 picks and fitting them in "correctly".

- I don't normally say things like this, but about a year after a draft I take a quick tally of how many NHLers I feel the Stars got out of a draft and see what happens...it's in an inexact science (read: not a science). But 2009 and 2010 are higher numbers than any previous draft since I've been here and Dallas had fewer picks in both. I think the drafting/scouting is really picking up, there are a couple of guys to be excited about in 2011 that I see right now, but time will tell of course.

- I just submitted a 5,000+ word update of histories, scouting reports and futures for your prospects. Everyone should have information. I've seen more footage/games of players over the course of the year - a couple I've seen live - so I've updated some scouting reports accordingly. I've tinkered with some grades, started taking a more hard-line approach with players that I firmly believe don't have a shot (Neal, Coyle, etc.) and stop playing the potential card. Egg on my face if Coyle becomes even as good as Marc-Andre Bergeron, but that comes with the territory.

Old
08-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere26 View Post
Klingberg played his first pre-season friendly (European Trophy) with Jokerit vs Luleå tonight (2-1 victory).
He was paired with captain Väänänen and also got some PP time. I was very pleased with him, great vision, passing abilities and so much confidence for such a young player! I can't wait so see more of him this season. He will be a great addition to Jokerit and an important piece in PP. Thrilled to see his development throughout this season. And Dallas should be thrilled, too.
Many thanks Jere26 & cheerupmurray for the insider information, I'm glad to read how the (swedish) prospects improve.

Old
08-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Not a good game for Klingberg today, he and Ossi Väänänen were on the ice for 3 of Djurgården's 4 goals in a 1-4 loss and he himself turned over the puck in the neutral zone before the the second Djurgården goal. (this all from the European Trophy's liveupdates)

Old
08-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Jere26

Klingberg with an assist on the PP today vs his former team Frölunda in a 7-3 victory.

Old
08-22-2011, 09:27 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Hubert Labrie is not at camp with Gatineau (QMJHL). That doesn't mean he won't return to the team if he can't make the AHL since he is only 20 years old.

Old
08-22-2011, 09:31 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Troy Vance apparently doesn't want to end the streak of great 5th round picks by Dallas. It's extremely early, only the preseason, and it's the QMJHL, but Troy Vance has 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists) in his first 2 games. He scored a goal and three assists in his first game Saturday, and his coach is very high on him.

Quote:
At the blue line, Troy Vance was the best of both teams.
Quote:
Full of praise at the site of Troy Vance. "He is our best defender for two days. It has grown incredible compared to last year, "he said of the champion American giant.
http://www.lanouvelle.net/Sports/Hoc...st-retranche/1

Quote:
Troy Vance should become one of the best defenders in the QMJHL this season.
Quote:
"He plays like a pro"

Last year, we talked about Troy Vance as a diamond in the rough. During the last season, the American 18 years has clearly been an impressive polishing session, as since the opening of training camp with the Tigers, it appears as the best defender on the team.

Even Saturday's preseason game between the cats to Chicoutimi Saguenéens in Montmagny, Vance has earned praise from head coach Yanick Jean, and for good reason. Giant 6'5''and 205 pounds scored a goal and three assists in a winning cause 6 to 2.

In addition to his offensive production, he distributed his shoulder four, including a particularly tough at the place of Etienne Brodeur at center ice.

"He was simply dominant. Troy impressive since the start of camp. Tonight he played like a pro, "praised the pilot of the Tigers.

Jean is not unduly surprised by the performance of his protege. He expected a strong increase in its share. "Prior to joining us last year, he had never really trained. Adequate training in the summer combined with his experience at summer camp of the Dallas Stars have given him confidence, "added the coach.
http://www.lanouvelle.net/Sports/Hoc...o%26rdquo%3B/1

Old
08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Victoriaville (Vance's team in the QMJHL) plays 3 more pre-season games:

Friday, 8-26 @ Drummondville
Sunday, 8-28 @ Drummondville
Thursday, 9-01 @ Chicoutimi

Victoriaville opens the season against Quebec on Friday, September 9th. Since Dallas' first game in the Traverse tournament is on the 10th, I doubt Vance actually plays that game.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:00 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Quote:
champion American giant
Solid potential username.

Old
08-28-2011, 04:09 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Does anyone have thoughts on Tyler Beskorowany? He put up great numbers in the AHL last season and I get the feeling the organization doesn't have any faith in Bachman considering his size. What do you guys think, could he maybe be backing up Lehtonen or even challenging for the job in a year or two?

Old
08-28-2011, 08:23 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't think he's going to be challenging for the starter's job but he could be the backup next year. While he's going to be Bachman's backup this year in the AHL, he's still going to get plenty of games. By all indications the plan is then to have Bachman and Besko compete for the NHL backup job during the 2012 camp with Bachman having the inside track assuming he maintains his level of play. Raycroft is a placeholder.

Really I don't look at any of the 3 goaltending prospects and say, "Oh, that one is clearly better". Not even Campbell. They're all capable of ultimately being the best out of that group.

I don't think it's fair to say they don't have any faith in Bachman. They drafted the guy after all and I doubt they were banking on a massive growth spurt. Do they prefer more size? Sure. But if he continues to post overwhelmingly good numbers it's not going to be an issue. Now, if Besko matches him every step of the way, then yeah, a tie probably goes in his favor. The fact that he's younger by a fair bit doesn't hurt either.

Old
08-28-2011, 02:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Yeah, all Bachman has done is excell at every level he's played at whether that be college, ECHL or AHL. Ultimately, what matters will be results.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

I forgot where I saw the quote, but Besko is hoping to steal the starter job in the AHL this season. With an entirely new staff, that's best case scenario for him. Rightfully so, I imagine Gully would still be biased towards Bachman if he was returning to Austin. Now everyone has a relatively clean slate with a new staff.

Regardless, Austin will probably get the best goalie play they've had since the franchise started. I know it's the same tandem as last year, but they're both a year older. Plus, they have to realize that this is their legitimate opportunity to prove to Dallas one of them can backup Lehtonen in 12-13. I imagine the next 13 months (training camp+AHL season+training camp next year) are going to produce awesome play from both guys as they fight to establish themselves as the better goalie.

I think that next year's Top 4 D will also be arguably better than the great D they had the first season: Fortunus-Lukowich-Jancevski-Stafford vs. Fortunus-Lukowich-Dillon-Larsen. Should be a fun year down in Austin. Hopefully the offense can start clicking in their 3rd year.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:52 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I forgot where I saw the quote, but Besko is hoping to steal the starter job in the AHL this season. With an entirely new staff, that's best case scenario for him. Rightfully so, I imagine Gully would still be biased towards Bachman if he was returning to Austin. Now everyone has a relatively clean slate with a new staff.

Regardless, Austin will probably get the best goalie play they've had since the franchise started. I know it's the same tandem as last year, but they're both a year older. Plus, they have to realize that this is their legitimate opportunity to prove to Dallas one of them can backup Lehtonen in 12-13. I imagine the next 13 months (training camp+AHL season+training camp next year) are going to produce awesome play from both guys as they fight to establish themselves as the better goalie.

I think that next year's Top 4 D will also be arguably better than the great D they had the first season: Fortunus-Lukowich-Jancevski-Stafford vs. Fortunus-Lukowich-Dillon-Larsen. Should be a fun year down in Austin. Hopefully the offense can start clicking in their 3rd year.
And thats really saying something, considering they've had some pretty stellar goaltending historically. My money is on Bachman winning the job and the backup position the year after, but I certainly wont count out Besko. Maybe one of these guys even forces us to trade Kari at some point.

Old
08-28-2011, 04:17 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
I picture things in net kinda like how it went about 10 years ago in Dallas. Kari gets an extension of some kind and is the Stars starting goaltender for a while (Belfour/Turco). Bachman/Beskorowany excel as back-ups and find starting gigs elsewhere (Turek/Ellis/Smith). Campbell develops and steps up to start after Lehtonen's departure.

It's nice to have such solid depth in the goalie pipeline.

Old
08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
I picture things in net kinda like how it went about 10 years ago in Dallas. Kari gets an extension of some kind and is the Stars starting goaltender for a while (Belfour/Turco). Bachman/Beskorowany excel as back-ups and find starting gigs elsewhere (Turek/Ellis/Smith). Campbell develops and steps up to start after Lehtonen's departure.
Call me crazy, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Campbell may be the odd man out.

I've always thought highly of Bachman, and now Besko is really gaining his stride as a professional. My money is on Kari getting injured in some significant way in the next couple of years whereby both Bachman and Besko will be getting all of the starts here in Dallas. No matter what happens I have a hard time seeing Kari staying beyond his current contract.

The future is definitely bright goaltending-wise.

Old
08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Call me crazy, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Campbell may be the odd man out.

I've always thought highly of Bachman, and now Besko is really gaining his stride as a professional. My money is on Kari getting injured in some significant way in the next couple of years whereby both Bachman and Besko will be getting all of the starts here in Dallas. No matter what happens I have a hard time seeing Kari staying beyond his current contract.

The future is definitely bright goaltending-wise.
Just a lurker-observation but: Considering you just predicted our starting goalie to be lost to injuries in a future not far away, and our first round goalie-prospect not to pan out, that's a pretty positive conclussion to make. You, good sir, are an optimist

Not that I disagree though...

Old
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
Just a lurker-observation but: Considering you just predicted our starting goalie to be lost to injuries in a future not far away, and our first round goalie-prospect not to pan out, that's a pretty positive conclussion to make. You, good sir, are an optimist

Not that I disagree though...
I try.

To be precise though, it's not that I think Campbell won't pan out necessarily. I just think he will have to blow off the doors to supplant whoever is the team's #1 by the time he is a viable candidate to be an NHL goaltender.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:24 AM
txomisc

ugh hoping the new stars rankings come soon. Tired of seeing other fans ***** and moan about their player ratings while we have to wait.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

The new additions' ratings are already out from what I can tell.

7.5C Oleksiak
7.0C Ritchie
7.0D Molin
6.5C Vance
7.0D Stransky

No rating for Jokipakka.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Holy ****, only a 7.5C for Oleksiak?

Old
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

It seems appropriate to me. I guess 8.0D could've worked also.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Definitely appropriate, considering our rankings are generally quite conservative. Outside of Campbell, I cant remember the last 8.0 we had. That and I think giving him the upside of a #2 defenseman is quite fair, for now at least.

-Vagrant
Old
08-30-2011, 12:56 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I'd give Oleksiak at least a 8, then again they also gave Benn a 7.5 so you can't act surprised that they gave Oleksiak a 7.5.

I also feel Campbell could be a 8.5, i am sure that if Toronto or Montreal had one of Oleksiak or Campbell they'd have a higher grade.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Campbell's only a 7.5C as well. Not too worried, every team's leniency is different.

Closed Thread