HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why aren't we getting any draft love?

Old
06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I don't generally read the National Post especially since they share a lot of writers with the Citizen. but this sports writing is just ridiculous. I have never hear of any of these people before, and, it seems , for good reason.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...tawa-senators/

Perhaps the key to their determination that the Sens should trade Spezza(at east 3 other teams have need of him!) may be found in the Leafs article where they go on about the Leafs need for a center.

The same writer on the section about the Flames, writes:

"]but there is a solid model to accumulating a lot of prospects in a short time: the Toronto Maple Leafs.... Now the Leafs are stacked with prospects and two first round draft picks. Burke made savvy trades at the right moments and the Leafs are now in a position to make a huge splash at the draft. More on that later in the week. Back to Calgary."

I thought they might change their tune after the draft but no...Toronto A and Winnipeg A+ top the charts while Ottawa rates a C-, the lowest of all Canadian teams as chosen by Mark Seidel, director of scouting for North American Central Scouting. In fact the choices just seem to be upside down across the board

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...anadian-teams/
Good.

They set up the Toronto fans for another massive disapointment while Ottawa will become a pleasant surprise 2-3 years down the road.

The more teams and fans that underestimate this team, the better imho.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 500
Corey Perry is an anomoly. I am surprised he even made the NHL, his skating was so bad in Junior.

I hope Noesen is the steal that BM thinks he is.

And who cares where media that know nothing about Ottawa ranked their draft? The reality will end up somewhere between the cynical lows, and the sky high projections from the fans.

It is a crap shoot. You never know. Go find hockeysfuture write ups on Alex Volchkov, Jason Bonsignore, Alexandre Daigle, Daniel Tkachuk, Stan Chistov.

There is an endless list of "can't miss" prospects that do miss, and miss badly. I'd expect 2 - 4 of the players we just picked to see any decent amount of NHL time.

That is based solely on history. 1 or 2 in an average year, 3 or 4 in a great year.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:32 AM
EJsens1

This is a perfect ripping of the national post article by the 6th sens

http://the6thsens.com/2011-articles/...aft919391.html

Last edited by EJsens1: 06-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.
EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
wayne98

Leafs fan here, just wanted to say i think sens did the best in the draft this year, all guys i wanted the leafs to get... all though i am curious what sens fans think with Zibanjade , for me i think i would have picked couturier. But zibanjade will be a great player too....and that trade for Filatov was awesome, i just would like to know where the hell burke was on that one....... Good job murray and good luck Ottawa..>>>>

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:49 AM
pepty

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne98 View Post
Leafs fan here, just wanted to say i think sens did the best in the draft this year, all guys i wanted the leafs to get... all though i am curious what sens fans think with Zibanjade , for me i think i would have picked couturier. But zibanjade will be a great player too....and that trade for Filatov was awesome, i just would like to know where the hell burke was on that one....... Good job murray and good luck Ottawa..>>>>

This just proves that Leafs fans are actually far more knowledgeable and far less delusional
then their media hacks.

When I think of annoying leafs fans it is usually not thier real fans at all but their cheerleaders in the sports media.

Maybe as fans we are all somewhat delusional -but it is just more irritating when it comes from supposedly even handed national sports media.

By the way that parody is dead on.

Last edited by pepty: 06-28-2011 at 12:01 PM.
pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne98 View Post
why are you cheering us on? we're going to destroy you for decades to come.

I was curious to see what they would do at 6 if given the choice between zibanejad/couturier/strome. like a lot of us predicted, they didn't like couturier as much. I was undecided myself but trust the scouting staff here. We just haven't seen Zibanejad play over here yet so it's harder to judge. He has all the qualities we need though and after thinking about it more it looks like they made the right choice. Zibanejad plays with more energy and explosiveness than couturier. I think he definitely plays more of a detroit style game than couturier.
Now if it came down to zibanejad or strome.....might be a different story.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
This just proves that Leafs fans are actually far more knowledgeable and far less delusional
then their media hacks.

When I think of annoying leafs fans it is usually not thier real fans at all but their cheerleaders in the sports media.

By the way that parody is dead on.
They're not bad here lately at all, I think it has everything to do with hf boards. They get a 'bigger picture' of the NHL here. Outside of HF boards almost all leafs fans just spew typical, Ottawa hate & Leafs hype.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
why are you cheering us on? we're going to destroy you for decades to come.

I was curious to see what they would do at 6 if given the choice between zibanejad/couturier/strome. like a lot of us predicted, they didn't like couturier as much. I was undecided myself but trust the scouting staff here. We just haven't seen Zibanejad play over here yet so it's harder to judge. He has all the qualities we need though and after thinking about it more it looks like they made the right choice. Zibanejad plays with more energy and explosiveness than couturier. I think he definitely plays more of a detroit style game than couturier.
Now if it came down to zibanejad or strome.....might be a different story.
I agree Couturier was not in the mix at #6 for whatever reason. Strome was gone so nothing that can be done about it. I honestly think they had Hamilton ahead of Zibanejad, and could not bring themselves to draft another Dman with all the glaring holes up front. I think this was the worst case scenario they were worried about and bit the bullet and took the best forward available not the BPA, which had to gnaw at them somewhat. Probably would have liked to trade down but could not find any dance partners. We will see in a few years if it all works out or not.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
SenzZen
Unholy Masquerade

Probably because we're confident enough not to give a s*** when we get no love from external sources.

That, or the fact the we're the Ottawa F***ing Senators.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
I thought they might change their tune after the draft but no...Toronto A and Winnipeg A+ top the charts while Ottawa rates a C-, the lowest of all Canadian teams as chosen by Mark Seidel, director of scouting for North American Central Scouting. In fact the choices just seem to be upside down across the board

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...anadian-teams/
I love how the guy doesn't even know the draft order

Quote:
Seidel Says “When Winnipeg went off the board, it looked like the Sens could take a potential franchise defender in Dougie Hamilton, but instead they opted for the late rising star out of Sweden, Mika Zibanejad."

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
ShotDownCrosby

I do think its funny that Ottawa is given a C- when this is the best draft they've had in years.

Also, even if they wanted to be homers and rate Leafs higher -- which is fine. Rating leafs over 2 full grades above is a little ridiculous.

The worse we are rated the better we do! For example, 2009-2010 season, predicted 14th, ended up 5th. Let the media rip us to shreds -- makes it better when we prove them wrong! GO SENS GO!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote