HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Best Defense man

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks Best Defense Man?
Edler 65 52.00%
Hamhuis 44 35.20%
Bieksa 13 10.40%
Ehrhoff 1 0.80%
Other 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Canucks Best Defense man

Who do you guys have as the canucks best Defense man.

I am going to say Dan Hamhuis is our best d-man, Especially with his consistency through the pre-season/season/playoffs. He has barely any day offs, and literally EVERYBODY who plays with him has played considerably better.

The biggest benefactor is kevin bieska, who looked a completely different player this year imo Because he was paired with Hamhuis.

While many people will probably say Edler, but his consistency issues are well advertised in the playoffs, He might have the best potential of the crew, but imo Hamhuis is better at this point.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:37 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Edler.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Slapshot_11

vCash: 500
It was Edler before his injury and when he came back he got thrown right into the playoffs and his back was still bothering him and condition was not up to par

I say next season Edler will once again prove hes our best D if he can stay healthy

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Everyone is a #2.
Go read the poll again.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Bombsy

I voted Edler. But there's "Awesome Beast Mode" Edler and then there's "He's Way Better Than This" Edler.

Edler at his best is IMO by far the best D-man on the team. Dan Hamhuis is the most consistent and reliable. Bieksa and Ehrhoff fall somewhere in between.

Bombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:45 PM
LeftCoast

I'd go with Edler. He does everything well. Ehrhoff has better offense, Bieksa is consistently more physical, Hamhuis is better in his own zone, Salo has a slightly harder shot, but Edler is probably a very close 2nd in all of those areas.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:48 PM
AmazingNuck

Edler with Hamhuis as a close second. The rest aren't particularly close either.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
I'd go with Edler if he played more at a high level since returning from surgery. Yes I know he also got injured in the playoffs too. But based on what I saw this season and in the playoffs I have to go with Bieksa. Solid defensively, offensively, and he's mean and nasty.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:55 PM
BoHorvatFan

Even though Hamhuis was better this year, and amazing in the playoffs, I went with Edler because he is the last d-man on our team I would trade.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:59 PM
RK17

Kevin Bieksa no question for me. Hamhuis is a close second, but Bieksa adds a little more with his physicality and intimidation factor which none of our other defenseman possess. His ability to make solid pinches at the line is second to none on the team and His ability to jump up into the rush is only second to Ehrhoff. He along with Hamhuis are the most aggressive defenseman in the D zone due to their quick feet. Edler is on his way but needs to pick up his feet a little more quickly, hopefully the skills coaches work on some foot speed and agility drills with him. Edler could also stand to be a little more aggressive and stand up for his teamates a little more instead of lowering his head and skating off during scrums.

RK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

When healthy, Sami Salo. Hamhuis and Edler a close 2nd and 3rd.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:18 AM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Hammer, in my humble opinion. His coolness in the back end leads to great positioning and clean breakout passes, which is what keeps the team going. We all saw what happened to the D without his presence.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:24 AM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Bieksa and Edler. I could only choose one though so I helped Bieksa out

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Wisp

I think we lost the cup when we lost Hamhuis. Bieksa was second best.

Edler has so much potential, but he needs to be more consistent. He was much better before he got injured. I think he can be a Norris caliber d-man next year if he lives up to that potential night in and night out. When he's physical, he's amazing - he made Patrick Kanes life miserable, and I really think that was a big key to us winning against the Blackhawks.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
CrackerJibbs

It's Hamhuis right now, but Edler in the future.

I'm a bit surprised Erhoff isn't getting a bit more love, but after his disappointing playoffs it's understandable.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:42 AM
billvanseattle

I voted Edler, though I think Bieska (sp intentional) was actually the best this last year. Amazed he has so few votes so far.

An argument to be made for the top 5 ... B man, Edler, Hammy, Errorhoff and Salo. Salo when healthy is an incredible D man. Each and everyone of these guys can be Norris or slide off the Canucks top 6 ...

And I want to see every one of them back next year ... at an appropriate salary for their talent level and number of games played ... Salo on the # of games played takes a pay cut ... Bieska on takes a promised salary cut (ok not on what he;s making now, on what he could get as a UFA) ... Erhoff (great D man, but why should he get more than B man, Hammmmmy Edler or even Ballard {ok he deserves more than Ballard on performance but really significantly more than 4.2???})

I think we really need to try to balance our cap hit on the fact we get Tanev at a bargain ...

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Wisp

I think every defense men on that list had a key contribution for us in the playoffs, which is nice to say.

People are down on Ehrhoff but he factored into some key goals to beat the Blackhawks and Nashville.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:57 AM
EskemoJoe

Hammer!

Edler will be the best but he isnt quite there yet.

EskemoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Edler is the best defenseman. Hamhuis is a good defenseman but thats the extent of it. He's average offensively and really shouldn't be on the PP. Edler can be used on both special teams and is a good offensive weapon. He's currently the best and still has room to grow. Quite an easy decision IMO.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:21 AM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Edler is the best defenseman. Hamhuis is a good defenseman but thats the extent of it. He's average offensively and really shouldn't be on the PP. Edler can be used on both special teams and is a good offensive weapon. He's currently the best and still has room to grow. Quite an easy decision IMO.
I disagree. I think the poor PP in the playoffs against Boston was due to the lack of Hamhuis.

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Edler is a great defenseman, will be a greater defenseman in the future, but is still prone to mental mistakes.

Hamhuis I rarely saw any mistakes this year. He made smart plays and created more than a few plays by not letting opposition forwards get into our zone so easily.

Hamhuis stood up Heatley in our own zone with a beautiful pokecheck and couldn't have chipped it better off the boards and allows Daniel and Henrik to do their magic. One of many turning chicken **** into chicken salad plays he made this year. Plus he made Bieksa everything he is now. Oh, and when he scored, it was usually a big goal. I can go on and on about how good he was this year.

Dan Hamhuis now, Alex Edler likely in the future.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
I disagree. I think the poor PP in the playoffs against Boston was due to the lack of Hamhuis.

You mean the same guy who averaged :39 seconds of PP time in the playoffs? That guy?

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:28 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Hamhuis > Edler > Ehrhoff > Bieksa > Salo

Edler has the potential to be our best, but he needs to find consistency. Hamhuis is so good that he single handedly makes Bieksa worth whatever he's going to get paid. That's not a slight on Bieksa, but it's evident he's not the same when not paired with Hammer.

Ehrhoff is criminally underrated after his finish to the playoffs. People need to remember he was playing with a severely ****ed up shoulder. His two biggest assets are his mobility and his shot, one of which was entirely taken away from him.

Salo is aging, but still close to the rest of the group.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I'd go with Edler. He does everything well. Ehrhoff has better offense, Bieksa is consistently more physical, Hamhuis is better in his own zone, Salo has a slightly harder shot, but Edler is probably a very close 2nd in all of those areas.
Combine them all together and you get Voltron! and/or a healthy Pronger in his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
Not imo, both Edler and Ehrhoff our pure offensive dmen, were playing injured, and Boston had a helluva PK, first the MVP play of Thomas, then the awesome job of covering up his weaknesses, they created a perfect box setup in front of him, to block shots and more importantly they took away the cross passes so Thomas didn't have to move around more, as he plays a very aggressive game.

You must be Hammy's family member?

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:39 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
The power play missed Edler and Ehrhoff being a threat. Period. Not just because their shots alone are dangerous, but because when they're shooting effectively the penalty kill has to react to it which opens up more space for the forwards to work with. When it became apparent something wasn't right with our two best PP D men, it essentially allowed Boston to shift all their attention to clogging up the middle and keeping the Canucks to perimiter shots from their forwards (how many times did Daniel or Kesler waste a hopeless wrist shot on a challenging Thomas because they literally had no other options?)

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote