HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Doughty offered 5 year deal, ~$5.7 per; has not signed

Old
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
N o o d l e s

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonKid97 View Post
get in on this

The let down is not even worth getting up any kind of hopes

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperalls View Post
I think most ARE thinking the Kings will match the offer. But if Lombardi doesn't give his own head a shake and offer up a little more, he'll end up matching an offer for substantially more in the end.
There is still time before free agency, it will get done with the actual figure being somewhere in the middle. DL is not going to mess this one up or the entire fan base will be asking for his resignation.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:37 PM
BruinsNCanucks

5.7 for Doughty is peanuts. He'll be the best Dman in the league in a year or two. If he signs, LA should count their lucky stars.

BruinsNCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:40 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Know View Post
I could easily see a lot of teams trying to sign him to an offer sheet, but my biggest fear would be Detroit.

10 year deal at 7.8 per. Only two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd in compensation.

They already have 6 million from Rafalski leaving and Lidstrom will probably be off the books next season as well. That's 12.2 million in cap space right there.

A 10 year deal only brings Doughty to 31.

Pay him 20, 15, 12, 7 and then 4 each year for the rest of the contract.
Can't pay him 20 in a year and the offer sheet as proposed would have 4 1sts as compensation.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
You Know

$6,268,176 to $7,835,219 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick.

If you can't front load it then you make it an even 7.8 million/year for 10 years.

You Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kings have $16 million available. Dean will match any offer sheet.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcking View Post
I don't see Doughty's contract being much different then the one Duncan Keith signed.
They are completely different. Keith starts at 8 million for 3 years, then 7.65M for 3 years, then declines yearly until the last few (retired) years are at 1.5-2.65M. Also, that's over 13 years. Keith won't make less than Doughty until the EIGHTH year of his contract....

Put it this way - Keith gets in 3 years almost what Doughty gets over the whole contract., and gets to invest that money immediately.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

He should be offered at least 6 million.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:13 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
$6,268,176 to $7,835,219 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick.
Right, and because of the term the CBA does not see a 7.8/year for 10 year contract as a 7.8 contract. It sees it as a 15.6 contract and the compensation will be 4 1sts.

Quote:
If you can't front load it then you make it an even 7.8 million/year for 10 years.
You can front load it, you just can't pay someone 20 million in a single year. Annual Salary for a player can never exceed 20% of the cap, so it would be 12.86M maximum right now.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:23 PM
You Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Right, and because of the term the CBA does not see a 7.8/year for 10 year contract as a 7.8 contract. It sees it as a 15.6 contract and the compensation will be 4 1sts.

You can front load it, you just can't pay someone 20 million in a single year. Annual Salary for a player can never exceed 20% of the cap, so it would be 12.86M maximum right now.
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware of that as far as the per year rate goes! I guess you do learn something every day. I didn't realize for compensation it goes by the entire contract and not the average salary.

If a team like Detroit would be giving up 4 1sts anyway, they could offer significantly more then.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:27 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware of that! I guess you do learn something every day

For a team like Detroit they could go even higher then if they have to give up 4 1sts anyway on a deal. I think L.A. will match any deal, but they could end up spending significantly more than they initially had budgeted.
I think the best bet is just to drop a 7.8 x 5 contract offer on Doughty. Compensation will be what you thought before (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Doughty would most likely want a contract like that because he gets paid a decent amount now and he can renegotiate a new contract right when he's in his prime (27) and the salary cap will likely have gone way up by then as well.

Worst case scenario is LA matches and has to pay him 2 more million than they wanted. Which isn't a bad thing because LA is looking to be very dominant with Kopitar, Richards as the 1-2 punch at center and Doughty, Johnson manning the back end.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:33 PM
You Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
I think the best bet is just to drop a 7.8 x 5 contract offer on Doughty. Compensation will be what you thought before (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Doughty would most likely want a contract like that because he gets paid a decent amount now and he can renegotiate a new contract right when he's in his prime (27) and the salary cap will likely have gone way up by then as well.

Worst case scenario is LA matches and has to pay him 2 more million than they wanted. Which isn't a bad thing because LA is looking to be very dominant with Kopitar, Richards as the 1-2 punch at center and Doughty, Johnson manning the back end.
I agree, I see LA matching for sure, but at least you're making them burn up cap room to do it. LA is looking scary with the addition of Richards.

I see the potential for other offer sheets as well, given how poor the UFA market is this year, and given the fact that the cap has gone up by 5 million.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:53 PM
JMFJ 3

This offer sheet speculation is pretty ridiculous...LA will obviously match anything and I just don't see Doughty screwing the Kings over like that. Only a fool like Kevin Lowe would offer sheet Donuts.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:58 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I wouldnt sign that if I were him either.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
This offer sheet speculation is pretty ridiculous...LA will obviously match anything and I just don't see Doughty screwing the Kings over like that. Only a fool like Kevin Lowe would offer sheet Donuts.
Kevin Lowe still has a say with the Oilers. It's not far fetched that someone might do it. I think you're going to far in calling it ridiculous. Someone like the Oilers are the perfect storm. 1) young talented forwards 2) god awful D 3) cap space

That being said, I'd be surprised if Doughty and Lombardi can't come to an agreement between themselves.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It's been confirmed that Lombardi and Meehan have been going back and forth. They are exchanging offers, and there have been no rumors, suggestions or speculation to believe that they are far apart or talks have broken down, thus reason to believe they can get something done before any team even conjures up an offer sheet.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:02 AM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperalls View Post
Kevin Lowe still has a say with the Oilers. It's not far fetched that someone might do it. I think you're going to far in calling it ridiculous. Someone like the Oilers are the perfect storm. 1) young talented forwards 2) god awful D 3) cap space

That being said, I'd be surprised if Doughty and Lombardi can't come to an agreement between themselves.
Oilers won't be making an offer sheets with all there young talent. Offer sheets do happen but it burns bridges and thats not a good thing to do in the NHL.

I wouldn't be surprised if doughty or stamkos are or aren't offered offer sheets and or sign one. I think both players really like Playing for there teams

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
I would have to think, if a bottom feeder offered $11+ million, and it was signed, Dean would let Doughty walk and hope for 1st overall picks or try to take any other high profile RFA on the market with the added picks. If I were the Islanders or Florida, I would do it too.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I would have to think, if a bottom feeder offered $11+ million, and it was signed, Dean would let Doughty walk and hope for 1st overall picks or try to take any other high profile RFA on the market with the added picks. If I were the Islanders or Florida, I would do it too.
If Doughty really loves LA as much as he(people) claims, i don't see him signing any offer sheet over 8 million. I'm certain he'd like to get the most money possible WHILE playing for the city he *loves*. I don't see him going to Florida or long island for 9 million.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote