HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Help While In Chicago

Old
06-28-2011, 09:47 PM
MNWild9

vCash: 500
Need Help While In Chicago

Im going to be in Chicago for three days and I need to know some of the best places to buy some hockey gear? Just want to pick up some pants, some shafts and blades. Can you tell me of any places to check out any will work just want to find some places with good deals and cool people that work there.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Gunzos is probably your best bet for hockey gear in Chicagoland. They have a few stores around the city. Not the cheapest of places, but they have a fairly wide selection of items.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

There's Jerry's as well, but it's in the suburbs.

I'd go Gunzo's though. It's in Chicago right next to Johnny's Ice House... but like previously said, they're not the cheapest around.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:37 AM
MNWild9

anyone know if the play it again sports is any good on north ashland ave in chicago

Old
06-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
anyone know if the play it again sports is any good on north ashland ave in chicago
Play It Again Sports are not hockey focused and, as a result, their selection is much worse than Gunzos along with similar prices for new items. Used items are not well stocked for hockey, but if you have some luck on finding the right size, deals can be found.

When I was there they had better youth selection than senior. For example, I found some almost new gloves at 25% their retail price, but no deals were available for helmets and elbow pads in my size.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Outside of Chicago you can find Total Hockey and B&R Sports. Not sure how far you wanna travel though. I know Total hockey is in Downers grove or Lemont. B&R are in Aurora/Naperville (all Seasons) and Geneva (Fox Valley Ice Arena)

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
MNWild9

well i have some gloves and skates im looking at trading in which would you say would be the best place to trade them in. the gloves are pro stock

Old
06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
well i have some gloves and skates im looking at trading in which would you say would be the best place to trade them in. the gloves are pro stock
If you are looking to trade in stuff you have to go to Play it Again. Gunzos and Total Hockey do not take trades. The selection at Play it Again's can be ok but it is kind of seasonal so there is not a great supply od hockey stuff right now. If I buy something in store around here it is either at Gunzo's or Total Hockey.

I play at both Johny's locations (East & West) and neither of the Gunzos pro shops inside have that great of selection. Their location in River Forest does have a good selection though and a pretty knowledgable staff. If not Gunzos then Total Hockey is a good choice.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:52 PM
MNWild9

I actually went to the Play it again on Ashland and picked up a RBK 6 for 20 dollars I will post a pick later one.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:59 PM
MNWild9

heres a link to my new helmet http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...48#entry879048