HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why Richards was traded

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 08:05 AM
IronMarshal

vCash: 500
Why Richards was traded

Lots of speculation out there about issues with Lavy, bars, Pronger and others in the room, the media, and slipping production.

I personally don't think the media thing has any swing with Flyers mngt, just the media whose nose is out of joint, so I discount that.

Bars? Homer and Clarkie and theboys lived in the bars. It formed comraderie, so I doubt that is it, though Olde City night life with a few of the young skirt chasers is different from most of the team at Rexy's in South Jersey. This is probably not a big thing.

Slipping production? Richards played hurt the entire year. Production was bound to be down, especially with wrist issues in hockey. I don't think the Flyers were concerned about this.

Pronger and others? Mostly, if the room is a mess and your the captain, that is not a good sign. This is a possibility and ties into the reason I think it had to happen. Which brings me to my own speculative reason why Richards is no longer a Flyer.

Carter. Richards and Carter were best buds, like brothers. It sounds as though Homer may have did Carter dirty based on what Rick Curran is saying. Telling him there is no truth to the rumors, sign him to an attractive long term deal, and ship him out before the NTC kicks in. How did they think Richards would react to that? I think they thought he would not take it well. He seems moody, maybe he would become a problem. He may have been part of the reason Cater signed that deal. But since the Flyers needed cap space, Carter was the only way to get it (and the got a good deal for Carter), Carter and Richards are kind of a package deal. I think they thought that they (Homer in particular) had to do this.

Anyway, that is my two cents.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
It was a hockey decision.

Closed Thread