HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's gotta happen soon...

Old
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
DocAzura

vCash: 500
It's gotta happen soon...

I just looked at the 2012 possible free agent list, and besides Ryan Suter, there really isn't much available in regards to core defensemen. If Snow is serious about landing one, it's going to have to happen via trade. And i don't see him waiting for 2013 to come around.

So maybe the Doughty talk is a possibility after all...

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
GOLFWANG

oh ya?

and what do you think we would have to give up?

dont think there is any truth to this at all

GOLFWANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
DocAzura

I don't know what he'll have to give up.
And i'm not saying it's gonna happen.
But it's clear to me that
a) Snow is in the market for a big name D
b) He's going to have to get one via trade

So maybe it's Doughty, maybe not, but something is gonna happen, and soon.

Old
07-18-2011, 05:35 PM
GOLFWANG

ya we def need another top 4 dman

Old
07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
DocAzura

True, and if not Doughty, who?
If we go by speculation, Comeau, Bailey & next years first are up for grabs.
Who can be obtained for those 3, possibly more?

Old
07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Renbarg

Enough with the quick fixes and FA talk. This team is being built the right way through the core. I swear people don't learn. We tried this once with Yashin and Peca, it didn't work. The Rangers have been continually trying to do this for over a decade and it hasn't work. Patience my friends. FAs work less often than not.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:57 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
True, and if not Doughty, who?
If we go by speculation, Comeau, Bailey & next years first are up for grabs.
Who can be obtained for those 3, possibly more?
I really don't want to give up a 1st next year in such a great draft.

In a few years, our D could be:

Streit - Hamonic
de Haan - MacDonald
Donovan - Mayfield

Extras/Bridgeport:
Wishart
Katic
Ness
Pedan
Klementyev
Russo

Thats a great Defense IMO

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
isles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Enough with the quick fixes and FA talk. This team is being built the right way through the core. I swear people don't learn. We tried this once with Yashin and Peca, it didn't work. The Rangers have been continually trying to do this for over a decade and it hasn't work. Patience my friends. FAs work less often than not.

I thought this thread was about trading for a 21 year old defensemen. how is that a quick fix?

isles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Quote:
I agree totally.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:10 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
I don't want a quick fix either. And i don't believe Snow wants one himself.
But he's gonna make a trade for a defenseman, who's young.
My question is, if not Doughty, then who?

Old
07-18-2011, 06:13 PM
JKP

Quote:

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:17 PM
steveat

I thought we were gonna try to trade for Yandal since the yotes need forwards and are deep in defence...we are the other way around...so trading would only compliment what we are trying to do.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:33 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
If you're going to continue to build through the draft, then what's the plan? Tank for Nail? Finish in the bottom 5 for another couple of years?
The team needs depth. With no improvements the team is likely to finish in the same place.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
So far, I haven't seen one person call for a quick fix. I also fail to see any comparison to the Yashin/Peca era. That was a new owner looking to make a huge splash, this is adding a top 4 dman/getting Drew Doughty who is a 21 year old all-star. The latter is stupid, just some guy with a twitter account looking to get some hits. The former is needed.

This team needs to move on from lottery pickings and into the playoff area. They can trade picks/prospects/young players without hurting the core. No one is saying Okposo+Strome for Igilna. I'm looking for Nelson+Bailey for Bouwmeester. Isles have Tavares and Nielsen now and Strome, Cizikas and Lee down the road. A third line center can be found via trade.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:48 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
I really don't want to give up a 1st next year in such a great draft.

In a few years, our D could be:

Streit - Hamonic
de Haan - MacDonald
Donovan - Mayfield

Extras/Bridgeport:
Wishart
Katic
Ness
Pedan
Klementyev
Russo

Thats a great Defense IMO
It's only great if they all hit their full potential. Some will-others wont.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
If you're going to continue to build through the draft, then what's the plan? Tank for Nail? Finish in the bottom 5 for another couple of years?
The team needs depth. With no improvements the team is likely to finish in the same place.

Yakopuv would be terrific but this team needs to set its eyes on playoffs and to do so, they need a top 4 defenseman.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Renbarg

The general tone of the thread implies desperation to add a big name just for the sake of adding a big name ("looking at the FA list of 2012"). I would be totally for adding Doughty through an RFA offer sheet but that aint happening. And a trade would a sideways move given the assets we have to give up to get it done.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
bigdom1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
I just looked at the 2012 possible free agent list, and besides Ryan Suter, there really isn't much available in regards to core defensemen. If Snow is serious about landing one, it's going to have to happen via trade. And i don't see him waiting for 2013 to come around.

So maybe the Doughty talk is a possibility after all...
katie strang already confirmed on her twitter that there is no truth to the Doughty talks...

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
GOLFWANG

i feel like we have enough pieces to get a decent dman that is still young and will fit in with the core

but im hoping to do this without taking away from too much of our roster now

Old
07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Boik14

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles93 View Post
I thought this thread was about trading for a 21 year old defensemen. how is that a quick fix?
What theyre saying is that the NYI have spent the last 4 years or so rebuilding through the draft (again). It would cost us so much to land a player like Dougherty that would land right back in another rebuild and set us back further because would probably have to give up 3-4 good players/prospects and picks.

I tend to agree that 3-4 good players > 1 great player. Depending which players we were to give up I dont know how I would feel about such a move though I suspect I would rather hang on to our younger players and watch them all grow up together at this point. We have been crappy for so long at this point I want depth to put this in dynasty mode part two

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
The general tone of the thread implies desperation to add a big name just for the sake of adding a big name ("looking at the FA list of 2012"). I would be totally for adding Doughty through an RFA offer sheet but that aint happening. And a trade would a sideways move given the assets we have to give up to get it done.
They are ready for legitimate talent. Enough with the draft.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Quote:
This isn't a quick fix. The rebuild started years ago and at some point you need to make a big move to get to the next level. If we continue the way we are we'll probably become a borderline playoff team like the Rangers. Just make the playoffs every year in the 7 or 8 spot? I don't want that. I want a serious top 5 team that will contend every year. The onlyway you get that is to make moves that affect your team.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Actually, I took the general tone of the OP and subsequent posts to be basically wanting to augment what the Isles have built through the draft, adding a piece or two where the Isles have a clear hole. I didn't take it for desperation at all.

Some folks seem to look at building a team as though there are only two ways to build it: buy it via free agency or trading prospects for 30+ year old veterans, or do *nothing* but draft, draft, draft. The thing is there's a middle ground that most teams actually use.

The Isles, I think, are at the point where they've got a strong enough core of youngsters that adding a couple of key veterans (not due to desperation, but because of a couple of glaring holes in the line up) could be the difference between another lottery finish, and this young Isles team getting a taste of what playoff hockey is all about. And in the short AND long term, I think the latter is a lot more important for the development of the Isles' youngsters than the former is.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:44 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
All i am saying is that Snow seems to be looking for a young, top defenseman.
I don't necessarily agree. I think most Isles fans have been patient, and are willing to be a little more if need be.
But it seems like a trade is inevitable. So, who would you want in return, and for whom?
Please take into consideration these assumptions:
Snow wants a defenceman to be part of the core, so someone under 30.
And i think it's fair to assume a center will be part of the Isles package.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Actually, I took the general tone of the OP and subsequent posts to be basically wanting to augment what the Isles have built through the draft, adding a piece or two where the Isles have a clear hole. I didn't take it for desperation at all.

Some folks seem to look at building a team as though there are only two ways to build it: buy it via free agency or trading prospects for 30+ year old veterans, or do *nothing* but draft, draft, draft. The thing is there's a middle ground that most teams actually use.

The Isles, I think, are at the point where they've got a strong enough core of youngsters that adding a couple of key veterans (not due to desperation, but because of a couple of glaring holes in the line up) could be the difference between another lottery finish, and this young Isles team getting a taste of what playoff hockey is all about. And in the short AND long term, I think the latter is a lot more important for the development of the Isles' youngsters than the former is.
couldnt agree more

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote