HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM/LA] Ryan Smyth to the Oilers for Colin Fraser + '12 7th

Old
06-26-2011, 01:10 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
And how exactly was DL negotiating through the media with this?
In the beginning, almost all information of this trade was made through LA-related media, with TSN being fed left and right. I mean, would Tambo know that LA was dealing with the Flames and release that info? No, only Lombardi did and all leaks logically came from him.

Shrewd tactics to be sure, but totally unnecessary. It was supposed to be a simple deal, but Lombardi kicked and whined until the 11th hour. More trouble than what it's worth. I don't think Lombardi has any (GM) friends with how he wheels and deals.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Slvrdwn

really glad to see this happen. its rare players show that kind of loyalty anymore. captain Canada is home.

Slvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
This is a win win. Does LA go after Gagne now?
Jussi Jokinen is who I am guessing.. They will overpay a bit, but his stats are the same as Smyth and he is not going to cost 6 Million...

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan View Post
If this is true LA got seriously ripped off
Well what are they gonna do when a player with a huge cap hit and a NMC wants to get traded to one specific team? Kings have zero leverage and it's not like the Oilers desperately needed him.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
In the beginning, almost all information of this trade was made through LA-related media, with TSN being fed left and right. I mean, would Tambo know that LA was dealing with the Flames and release that info? No, only Lombardi did and all leaks logically came from him.

Shrewd tactics to be sure, but totally unnecessary. It was supposed to be a simple deal, but Lombardi kicked and whined until the 11th hour. More trouble than what it's worth. I don't think Lombardi has any (GM) friends with how he wheels and deals.
Well in the end he got what he wanted, didn't he? He didn't have to take on an injured, unmovable Brule.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Sadly, I doubt this ever happens.

But, I'll be more than happy if he plays 3 years in Edmonton and has a great memorial night when he retires.
hopefully its not the same night where we trade away Hall for Nilsson v.2, Omarrav2 + 1st.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:15 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

Youre right, it was all Lombardi and logically noone else could have leaked anything.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
hopefully its not the same night where we trade away Hall for Nilsson v.2, Omarrav2 + 1st.
Ha, nice.

...although anyone not an Oiler fan probably doesnt get your reference.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:16 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Well in the end he got what he wanted, didn't he? He didn't have to take on an injured, unmovable Brule.
That's the thing, he wasn't.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:17 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvrdwn View Post
really glad to see this happen. its rare players show that kind of loyalty anymore. captain Canada is home.
agreed. watch smyth light it up this year now

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:17 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
That's the thing, he wasn't.
According to the league he was and thats what matters.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:18 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Youre right, it was all Lombardi and logically noone else could have leaked anything.
Oh, I'm sorry. Does TSN employ spies and ninjas to tap phones and listen in on conversations? Because I'm curious how else you expect media sources to find this info. Hint: It ain't the interns.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:18 PM
fsanford

Quote:

Smyth agent announced done deal, Tambo, allegedly, tried to ship damaged goods, I am not sure what Lombardi did wrong.

Nobody knew about the Richards deal and that had been in discussion for several days if not weeks.
But maybe that is because the 2 GM's involved were not trying to slip something by.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. Does TSN employ spies and ninjas to tap phones and listen in on conversations? Because I'm curious how else you expect media sources to find this info. Hint: It ain't the interns.
Noone knows who leaked anything, thats the whole point. You want to place all the blame on Lombardi with nothing to back it up. Info could have come from either side.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I don't want Gagne, and Brad Richards is great but not at the money it would cost.

LA should target a guy like Laich to round out its ranks.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
i do think it was LA's side that leaked it. One thing is for sure, Tambo keeps his cards close, you cant get ANY info from him. Its been like this since he joined the organization. It couldve been from someone other than Tambo but it seemed like the media guys were getting their info from someone closer to LA.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Smyth agent announced done deal, Tambo, allegedly, tried to ship damaged goods, I am not sure what Lombardi did wrong.

Nobody knew about the Richards deal and that had been in discussion for several days if not weeks.
But maybe that is because the 2 GM's involved were not trying to slip something by.
The first thing Lombardi did was bring this to the media. Even Smyth was surprised how fast the hockey world knew about his demands. And I'm not sure it was Smyth who was making them either. I bet Lombardi told Smyth you're out, choose your team and played it off like he was doing him a favor.

A great example about the Richards deal and almost every deal that happened in the last couple days. Either Edmonton has the sneakiest investigative sports-reporters or someone on the other side is feeding them info.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:22 PM
MettleOiler

Quote:
You're right, it was all Lombardi and logically no one else could have leaked anything.
Finally, someone with some common sense!! An a kings fan no less, much respect to you sir!

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Noone knows who leaked anything, thats the whole point. You want to place all the blame on Lombardi with nothing to back it up. Info could have come from either side.
Tambo never negotiates through the media, and is tight-lipped about everything. Think logically for a second. Does Edmonton leaking this info really benefit them? No, it puts pressure on them to make the deal.

Lombardi has had questionable ethics and is slimy when he deals. The fact that he went to the media to gain the tiniest of leverage shows his integrity as a GM. There are times and places to put the screws on. This deal was not one of them.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:25 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
i do think it was LA's side that leaked it. One thing is for sure, Tambo keeps his cards close, you cant get ANY info from him. Its been like this since he joined the organization. It couldve been from someone other than Tambo but it seemed like the media guys were getting their info from someone closer to LA.
And so does DL.

Quote:
The first thing Lombardi did was bring this to the media. Even Smyth was surprised how fast the hockey world knew about his demands. And I'm not sure it was Smyth who was making them either. I bet Lombardi told Smyth you're out, choose your team and played it off like he was doing him a favor.

A great example about the Richards deal and almost every deal that happened in the last couple days. Either Edmonton has the sneakiest investigative sports-reporters or someone on the other side is feeding them info.
He did? Thought it was McKenzie who brought it out? Guess DL must have hacked all of his accounts then.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

Smyth asked to be traded back home for personal reasons 2 months ago.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are speculating, just stop please

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:27 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Tambo never negotiates through the media, and is tight-lipped about everything. Think logically for a second. Does Edmonton leaking this info really benefit them? No, it puts pressure on them to make the deal.

Lombardi has had questionable ethics and is slimy when he deals. The fact that he went to the media to gain the tiniest of leverage shows his integrity as a GM. There are times and places to put the screws on. This deal was not one of them.
He is? Amazing how if hes so bad he still has a job in the NHL let alone hockey. In what way has he been slimy in deals or shown questionable ethics?

Old
06-26-2011, 01:28 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

good trade by LA and Edm!

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
And so does DL.
Well then if he does, its still someone from the LA organization. This Helene lady knew A LOT about the transaction. She even apparently knew the technicality with the trade.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:

Holy freaking drama queen. Questionable ethics, really? Beyond a possible leak, I'd love to know how else he is slimy. Other than the law degree which of course makes one a slime ball.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote