HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Missing Minnesota rumours

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2004, 05:03 AM
Zonkie

vCash: 500
Missing Minnesota rumours

Brian Rolston is a great player and he will make Minnesota a more offensive team next season. But I do think that they need another defenceman to make things happen. Is there anybody out there who knows if The Wild have shown any interest for any defenceman?

Old
07-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Bruwinz37

Brian Rolston is a good player, not great. He is also had his best years. He will be serviceable, but terribly inconsistent.

Old
07-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
They picked up Ray Giroux.

Old
07-25-2004, 03:11 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
We really don't need any more bloody defensemen and we should rely on who we have in the cupboard not on the market.

Old
07-25-2004, 04:25 PM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
We really don't need any more bloody defensemen and we should rely on who we have in the cupboard not on the market.
Who do we have in the cupboard though?

Aj Thelen is still two-three years away developing in the NCAA.
Brent Burns was drafted as a powerforward and seemed to be more comfortable there.

Do we have any other notable defenseman prospects?

Old
07-25-2004, 05:58 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

There really aren't that many UFA defensmen left who are worth signing.

Schneider and Zhitnik are asking for too much money.

Besides McGillis I don't see a lot out there...

Old
07-25-2004, 06:17 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Who do we have in the cupboard though?

Aj Thelen is still two-three years away developing in the NCAA.
Brent Burns was drafted as a powerforward and seemed to be more comfortable there.

Do we have any other notable defenseman prospects?

Heid?

Bolduc?

Misharin?

Old
07-25-2004, 07:21 PM
burgess1978

Quote:
That seems to be a commitment the Wild have made. It gives them these guys.

Kuba (27 years old)
Mitchell (27)
Zyuzin (26)
Schultz (21)
Henry (24)
Burns (19)
Michalek (21)

Willie Mitchell will turn 28 this year and he is their oldest defensemen. Great youth. I'm not a Wild fan but I really like the way they manage their players.

A "Bob Boughner-esque" player to play 3rd pairing with Burns would be great for his development. It also affords them the ability to play Henry as an extra forward if they need the size. There's not any guys like that on the market though, so I guess they'd need to trade for one.

Old
07-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Mizral

I believe Henry is no longer a Wild - wasn't he just signed by some other club recently?

Old
07-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
I believe Henry is no longer a Wild - wasn't he just signed by some other club recently?
he was signed five days ago...

http://www.wild.com/games/009/618/

Old
07-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
Misharin?
I wouldn't hold your breath on Misharin being an NHLer, maybe a serviceable AHLer though.

Old
07-25-2004, 10:21 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Misharin is a great pest in the CHL, so he'll need some development.

Michalek was serviceable last year and makes a good depth defenseman.

Burns more comfortable as a PF? What interviews have you seen? Burns loves being on defense and is extremely comfortable there.

Heid needs a bit more time in AHL and Bolduc needs time there too.

Stokes might surprise people...

But for now

Zyuzin- Kuba
Mitchell- Schultz
Henry- Burns
Michalek

Seems to be a good defense.

Old
07-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Jacob

That may be one of the 5 worst bluelines in the NHL.

Old
07-25-2004, 11:15 PM
MePutPuckInNet

the Wild don't really need great defensemen, in my opinion....the whole team plays D, thus...in effect, there's 6 D-men on the ice at all times....

Old
07-26-2004, 12:03 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Hey now! Hmph! We have a good blueline...

Old
07-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Well, they may not be a top defensive unit, but anyone who watches them play on a regular basis will tell you, they are much better on ice than on paper...and still relatively young...

Old
07-26-2004, 01:24 AM
sunb

Quote:

Burns more comfortable as a PF? What interviews have you seen? Burns loves being on defense and is extremely comfortable there.
He was drafted as a powerforward and played the last two years of his CHL career as a forward. Granted, he played defense all his life and his coach switched him to a forward when he played in the CHL. He did play a handful of games as a defenseman in the NHL and hasn't stunk it up too badly but still...... Risenborough drafted him because of his skills as a forward not because he could potentially play defense. Its one thing to have been playing defense all your life in junior leagues but playing defense in the NHL is a whole different thing.

Old
07-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
He was drafted as a powerforward and played the last two years of his CHL career as a forward. Granted, he played defense all his life and his coach switched him to a forward when he played in the CHL. He did play a handful of games as a defenseman in the NHL and hasn't stunk it up too badly but still...... Risenborough drafted him because of his skills as a forward not because he could potentially play defense. Its one thing to have been playing defense all your life in junior leagues but playing defense in the NHL is a whole different thing.
Well who knows, maybe he drafted him for his skills in general. If the shoe fits, and it seems to for Burns. Though, while I'm not very familiar with the team, couldn't they use a player like Burns at forward? Not exactly an explosive offense in Minnesota.

Old
07-26-2004, 01:34 AM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_paxon
Well who knows, maybe he drafted him for his skills in general. If the shoe fits, and it seems to for Burns. Though, while I'm not very familiar with the team, couldn't they use a player like Burns at forward? Not exactly an explosive offense in Minnesota.
Yeah they drafted him as a forward and envisioned him to be a dominant powerforward one day. But he was left in the deep end and put in to play in the NHL as a 19 year old right after being drafted. Played 30 or so games and looked completely lost. I wouldn't say they completely screwed up his development but it was pretty evident that he wasn't ready, at all. He did well in his first few games and just couldn't keep up at that consistent level of competition. I don't know why Minnesota did that - playing him so early that is. I guess it was because Gaborik wasn't signed and they just wanted to put some sensational players out there to attact fans.

Old
07-26-2004, 03:43 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I won't get into why we signed him and threw him to the wolves so early because to us, the Wild fans, it's been beaten to death with a hammer. It was a stupid move but it has some redemption.

One of the reasons why the Wild did draft him is because he was a big guy that once he filled out had the potential to be a solid PF. That didn't exactly pan through during the season but as I said the Wild found redemption at the end of the year when they started unloading mucklers from their lines.

Burns will be given as much chance on the blueline as possible in the offseason. The Wild absolutely loved him on the blueline and he looked more comfortable. He has a nice shot and is willing to throw around his body a bit. He is also a nice right handed defenseman, which I guess is sort of rare in the NHL, or hard to find. But with Kuba down, the Wild had to make a decision quickly or risk skating 5 defensemen, which they didn't want to do. Burns comes in and has stated that he didn't like being at forward, he was uncomfortable at the position because of various reasons but was more comfortable at defense, which is fine. The Wild are missing a few players on defense like Burns, who is not only willing to give up a shot here and there and make a few passes but also throw his body around. The other two who are willing to do that is Mitchell and Henry but they don't own a good offensive game like Burns, who has had time at forward. Well Henry does but it was mainly (and stupidly) as a enforcer, not as a PF. So Burns is staying and while the Wild are lacking a PF like Burns we have picked up a few players that could surprise people.

- Aaron Boogaard (his brother has been stated as being a bit pissed off at the coaches, who thinks Aaron, like Derek is a enforcer, while Aaron is more of a PF type)
- Patrick Bordeleau (big guy, could potentially be a solid guy)
- Julian Sprunger (has been touted, if he gets a little more physical as a PF)
- Danny Irmen (rough but not big)

As someone said, the shoe fits, so the Wild are going to keep Burns on defense unless something happens.

Old
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Hey now! Hmph! We have a good blueline...
Lemaire can do amazing things with very little talent. But still, on paper, their blueline is horrendous.

Andrei Zyuzin is a year and a half removed from the waiver wire, and he's the #1 guy?

Old
07-26-2004, 05:30 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
No, Kuba is our number 1

Old
07-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Surly Furious

Kuba, Schultz, and Mitchell are pretty good - not top tier d-men, but good 3-4 d'men. Zyuzin can be great one night, and stink it up the next. He has the potential to be the best of this bunch, but it's doubtful that will ever happen. Henry is a serviceable #6 guy, and Michalek showed signs of being able to stick last season. Thelen is the first elite dman prospect the Wild have had.

Doug Riseborough said that they considered shifting Burns back to defense when they drafted him, so it would be no surprise to see him back there next season. As Koala said, the Wild were quite excited by what they saw out of Burns on D. I don't think anybody really has a feel for how good of a d'man he could end up being. He has good size, great wheels, and enough offensive ability and physical play to lead one to believe he could end up being quite a good one.

Old
07-27-2004, 04:36 PM
CH4

JM Bolduc, 6ft4 200 pounds and 58points in 68 gamaes last year in qmjhl can be a good prospect, but it is very long term,

To get your defense up next year, come to MTL and get Rivet for a dozen of sticks......

Old
07-27-2004, 05:22 PM
ceber

Quote:
Lemaire can do amazing things with very little talent. But still, on paper, their blueline is horrendous.
And when they start playing the game on paper, then we're in trouble. 'Course, I'll stop going to the games then, because I don't imagine they'll be very interesting to watch.

Closed Thread