Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

TV schedule - Updated; TSN To Get Broadcast Rights

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2011, 10:07 PM
dandeneau44

vCash: 500
Got an e-mail today for shaw direct and it does indeed seem as though they are finishing up the deal considering that they tell me they ARE getting the channel.

Hello Dandeneau44;

Thank you for your interest in the TSN Jet’s channel. We’re excited about the upcoming hockey season and to see the Winnipeg Jets back in action. We will be providing this channel, however we are currently finalizing the deal with TSN and are unable to provide any more details at this time. Stay tuned to Shawdirect.ca or channel 299 for further updates. You can also follow us on Face book: ShawDirect_News or Twitter: Shawdirect_News to get all the up to date info.

If you have any other questions or there is something else I can help you with, please feel free to contact me again, please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct and have a good day!

Old
09-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Hah! I knew it. If Shaw Direct has it then Shaw will too.

Thanks for the update.

Old
09-10-2011, 10:20 PM
dandeneau44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Hah! I knew it. If Shaw Direct has it then Shaw will too.

Thanks for the update.
I was pretty pumped when I didn't just get the standard e-mail back, just a matter of an actual announcement and some details. I imagine MTS should follow suit soon after.

Old
09-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeneau44 View Post
Got an e-mail today for shaw direct and it does indeed seem as though they are finishing up the deal considering that they tell me they ARE getting the channel.

Hello Dandeneau44;

Thank you for your interest in the TSN Jet’s channel. We’re excited about the upcoming hockey season and to see the Winnipeg Jets back in action. We will be providing this channel, however we are currently finalizing the deal with TSN and are unable to provide any more details at this time. Stay tuned to Shawdirect.ca or channel 299 for further updates. You can also follow us on Face book: ShawDirect_News or Twitter: Shawdirect_News to get all the up to date info.

If you have any other questions or there is something else I can help you with, please feel free to contact me again, please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct and have a good day!
This was corroborated by an earlier post by activepuck that was removed.

Looks as if the panic may be for not, as I've heard (nothing concrete mind you) that both Shaw and MTS are getting closer to deals to carry the channel.

I've said all along I don't believe there is any way that these cable providers WON'T have TSN Jets. They are just trying to get the best deal to make it more affordable.

09-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
awesome news about shaw direct!

Old
09-11-2011, 08:22 AM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Thank goodness. If Shaw Direct has it, so will Shaw Cable. I don't want to switch to MTS or Bell; I have too much invested in Shaw equipment.

Old
09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Jetsfan79

I find it funny that TSN's regional schedule over at their website lists the start times in eastern and pacific considering most of the jets territory is in the central time zone

Old
09-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
I find it funny that TSN's regional schedule over at their website lists the start times in eastern and pacific considering most of the jets territory is in the central time zone
But that's how timezones are invariably listed for TV...

Old
09-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Jetsfan79

^ I agree but in this case those games will not even be shown in BC or (most of) eastern canada.
Sportsnet would always use their corresponding timezone when showing adds/online listings for their regional games. Not that this an earth shattering issue mind you.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 09-11-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old
09-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
My friend is telling me he has a new TSN feed that's shown up. I think he's with Shaw Direct if I'm remembering correctly. Called TSN-Alt right now.

Old
09-12-2011, 07:33 AM
johnnynucleo
SleepyBeepy

vCash: 605
I have Shaw Direct. That channel has been there forever (years). It's in the guide right after TSN2. I'm pretty sure they are going to put the new channel on 393 which is right inbetween TSN Habs, and the 4 Sportsnet regional feeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
My friend is telling me he has a new TSN feed that's shown up. I think he's with Shaw Direct if I'm remembering correctly. Called TSN-Alt right now.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:30 AM
JetFan4Ever

vCash: 678
Great news for Bell customers living outside of Manitoba and Northern Ontario. I live in Ottawa and was concerned that I would not be able to see the majority of Jets games on the new TSN Jets channel. I just spoke with the Bell rep who said the new TSN Jets channel will be added to the basic digital pkg on 20 Sep 11 at on additional cost.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
Great news for Bell customers living outside of Manitoba and Northern Ontario. I live in Ottawa and was concerned that I would not be able to see the majority of Jets games on the new TSN Jets channel. I just spoke with the Bell rep who said the new TSN Jets channel will be added to the basic digital pkg on 20 Sep 11 at on additional cost.
I think you've been misled, you would need NHL Centre Ice to see those games out of market (and you may end up with the other teams feed not necassarily the TSN feed).

Old
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
johnnynucleo
SleepyBeepy

Quote:
Yes, they are adding to the basic package for free, but what they forgot to tell you is that if you live in Ottawa, you will not be able to watch any of these games. The channel will probably show up in your guide, but all you'll get is a black screen when you tune during games. The only regional channel you have the ability to see games on is Sportsnet Sens.

Old
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
JetFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynucleo View Post
Yes, they are adding to the basic package for free, but what they forgot to tell you is that if you live in Ottawa, you will not be able to watch any of these games. The channel will probably show up in your guide, but all you'll get is a black screen when you tune during games. The only regional channel you have the ability to see games on is Sportsnet Sens.
I know I was sceptical as well but here is a quote of our chat session:

Lorinel D: I would like to advise you that the TSN Jets will be added to the basic programming starting on September 20, 2011.
You: So that means if I live in Ontario I will be able to view the games on that channel without any additional subscription?
Lorinel D: Yes that is correct. It will be part of the Digital Standard package which is the basic package for all Bell TV customers.
You: Great, I'm very happy to hear that. Thank-you
Lorinel D: You’re welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Old
09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Lorinel D: I would like to advise you that the TSN Jets will be added to the basic programming starting on September 20, 2011.
You: So that means if I live in Ontario I will be able to view the games on that channel without any additional subscription?
Lorinel D: Yes that is correct. It will be part of the Digital Standard package which is the basic package for all Bell TV customers.
Just be ready to be disappointed...

Old
09-12-2011, 09:49 AM
johnnynucleo
SleepyBeepy

Quote:

Lorinel D is wrong. Trust me on this. It's the same as how I live in Winnipeg and can't watch the games on TSN Hab, or Sportsnet Canucks as examples. Like the previous poster said, you'll need Centre Ice to see the Jets games. It's called regional coverage for a reason.

Lorinel obviously doesn't understand how regional feeds, blackouts work etc.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:08 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

People need to stop assuming that what a call centre agent tells you over the phone or in email/chat is gospel.

Speaking from experience, there's a lot that can go wrong between "fact/reality" and what is communicated out to the customer. Company incompetence and less than capable employees (or employees who just don't give a damn) aren't the least of these factors.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Dancevic *

The Jets' broadcast region has already been announced by TSN. It looks like depending on where you are in northwest Ontario, you may or may not have access to TSN Jets.

If you are outside of the Jets region, you will have to order NHL Centre Ice to watch televised Jets games.

It seems many of you are unhappy that Shaw doesn't seem interested in carrying TSN Jets. Rest assured, if you pressure enough as a collective group, Shaw will be more inclined to pick up that channel. For example, it took plenty of pressure to force Shaw to carry Sportsnet One. I can't guarantee this happening, but I also can't see them alienating their customers (and potentially forcing them to Bell TV) because of one channel.

But Bell TV will carry TSN Jets. Bell Media owns TSN. Usually, there's a small fee for additional channels ($2 a month?). It is entirely worth it.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancevic View Post
The Jets' broadcast region has already been announced by TSN. It looks like depending on where you are in northwest Ontario, you may or may not have access to TSN Jets.

If you are outside of the Jets region, you will have to order NHL Centre Ice to watch televised Jets games.

It seems many of you are unhappy that Shaw doesn't seem interested in carrying TSN Jets. Rest assured, if you pressure enough as a collective group, Shaw will be more inclined to pick up that channel. For example, it took plenty of pressure to force Shaw to carry Sportsnet One. I can't guarantee this happening, but I also can't see them alienating their customers (and potentially forcing them to Bell TV) because of one channel.

But Bell TV will carry TSN Jets. Bell Media owns TSN. Usually, there's a small fee for additional channels ($2 a month?). It is entirely worth it.
You might want to read the thread....
Shaw is highly intersted in carrying TSN Jets, and apparently Shaw direct will carry the channel for sure.
Bell IS carrying TSN Jets, and it will be free. That has already been established.
Also, in reality pressuring Shaw gives Bell more leverage. A more effective strategy is to pressure Bell.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Dancevic *

Well, excellent. Everybody gets to watch their Jets. That's terrific.

Old
09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancevic View Post
Well, excellent. Everybody gets to watch their Jets. That's terrific.
Well hopefully Shaw Digital, and MTS can come to an agreement with Bell. MTS has made their intentions clear to carry the channel, citing the naming rights to the MTSC as evidence of their commitment. Shaw has in some e-mail made their desire clear as well. Bell however seems to be drving a hard bargain to negotiations could go to the last minute...

Old
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
JetFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynucleo View Post
Lorinel D is wrong. Trust me on this. It's the same as how I live in Winnipeg and can't watch the games on TSN Hab, or Sportsnet Canucks as examples. Like the previous poster said, you'll need Centre Ice to see the Jets games. It's called regional coverage for a reason.

Lorinel obviously doesn't understand how regional feeds, blackouts work etc.
Based on the comments received and my own lingering doubts, I call back and asked to question again, and to my great surprise i was told I would not be able to receive or order the channel. thanks all.

I guess it will be Centre Ice.

Old
09-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Well Shaw Direct contacted me unexpectedly forwarding the email saying they're getting the channel. They must be worried people were going to switch providers

Old
09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Jetsfan79

Has anyone tried emailing Shaw Cable and specifically citing the Shaw Direct confirmation asking them if that means they have/will have the channel as well?

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 09-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Closed Thread