HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetically... If we don't sign Richards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
  #51
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,612
vCash: 500
Hypothetically ... if we don't sign Richards

That's like starting a thread asking what we'll do if the sun doesn't rise tomorrow...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
  #52
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
Hockey Heaven failed

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:24 PM
  #53
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
More than just giving up assets, as they will have to give up a lot in cap space anyhow, he's really a perfect hockey fit. Other than his age, he has everything wanted, except for being overly physical which really isn't a concern of mine for this role.

He has an excellent two-way game which makes him a great addition for a team that needs a dynamic playmaker who can perform when being 'locked down' over a series but also really needs to improve its team defense from last season. That balance is huge for a guy getting big minutes, as it can go along way to solving both issues.

The PP improved last year statistically but was still very unreliable and was still a serious threat to kill momentum. He absolutely excels on the PP and his addition with some change in philosophy could very realistically make this mix of players a top unit in the league.

He's also adept as a penalty killer. Depending how lines are rolled, he could definitely be used for some PK situations without wearing him out, if that was best for the team. Certainly at the least he would represent a very strong back-up option for PK units as well as a reliable option for key situations.

As much as anything, he's won the Cup while being the key performer. No other option can say that, though that isn't to say they couldn't perform just as well in the playoffs.

Having said all that, I am on the record as being strongly against just paying whatever it takes to get him. Maybe you do that for a 22 year old, MAYBE. At 31 years old, you can't be impulsive. If he likes the situation enough here, then you can pay him "top dollar", but as good a fit as he is you have to walk away if he wants us to simply be the highest bidder of a crazy bidding war.

The other options being discussed in this thread are really hard for me to consider because we know most of them aren't likely to be available and further have no clue what it would take to get them.

I, like you, am not interested in Spezza. I would rather overpay for a different center out of the division, where the price would not likely be as steep relative to value. Further, Spezza may be better than Roy but they are a bit redundant as players and Roy has a superior contract.

If Richards falls through I am all for trying to find more of a #2/#3 guy with potential, ideally two such players. Wing depth allows this team to roll 4 solid lines -- 3 strong offensively -- if they improve the center situation. This just doesn't seem a good market to try and trade for a "legit #1" center. Boston's cup run was about being strong all down center, not having an elite #1. Seguin will be an elite #1 some day but that certainly wasn't his role. This team needs guys at the #2 and #3 spots that can make their lines dangerous as much as it needs one guy that can make one line elite.

Being that we are early in the "Stanley plan", it makes sense to just bring in good centers and see how it all works out. Over the next couple years you keep looking for opportunities to get that #1 guy if he's there. Situations can change. A Colorado center is far more likely to be available in a couple years after guys like Hishon and Landeskog (sp?) have a chance to prove themselves.
Still in my gut since Pegula bought the team, and those Pittsburgh connections were id'd, I still think if we fail at the Richards sweepsteaks, it's going to be Malkin.

Malkin is my darkhorse because he is NOT the face of the Pens, nor is he second, nor is he 3rd, nor is he 4th....he is one of the best but he has language issues, isn't from a hockey family (Staal), isn't the #1 NHL poster star (Crosby), doesn't have that good looking charm and charisma (Fleury) and isn't the new d-man dejour. I would bet Malkin would love a trade; yes, unfounded but how long does one of the top 5 players in the world have to sit "behind" someone???? Play second fiddle, even when he out produces????

Then take into account the cap hit, and I think he could be had for the right price

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
  #54
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Still in my gut since Pegula bought the team, and those Pittsburgh connections were id'd, I still think if we fail at the Richards sweepsteaks, it's going to be Malkin.

Malkin is my darkhorse because he is NOT the face of the Pens, nor is he second, nor is he 3rd, nor is he 4th....he is one of the best but he has language issues, isn't from a hockey family (Staal), isn't the #1 NHL poster star (Crosby), doesn't have that good looking charm and charisma (Fleury) and isn't the new d-man dejour. I would bet Malkin would love a trade; yes, unfounded but how long does one of the top 5 players in the world have to sit "behind" someone???? Play second fiddle, even when he out produces????

Then take into account the cap hit, and I think he could be had for the right price
But a real dice roll with the injury from the Meyers collision.

I've stated before what makes PIT a perennial threat to be a conference finalist or better is their center depth, and they did it again this year WITHOUT Sid and Geno.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
  #55
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I wonder though if he's the right kind of player for the Sabres to mortgage their payroll and team around. There's no denying his elite skill level and playoff performance but he seems to be more of an individualist accustomed to doing it all himself (i.e. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin) than someone who would complement and elevate the play of his linemates and rest of the team. He also seems to be the kind of personality that won't provide the leadership one would expect of a team's best player.

Like I said, his talent and production ability is nothing to sneeze at or not covet but he isn't the kind of slam-dunk, win/win option as others are, IMO.
I'd kill to have any of them on the Sabres, hell both Kovy and Ovechkin have become the leaders on their respective clubs.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
  #56
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT
 
Fire Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Old Dominion State
Country: United States
Posts: 5,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I've stated before what makes PIT a perennial threat to be a conference finalist or better is their center depth, and they did it again this year WITHOUT Sid and Geno.
?????

They got bounced in the first round by Tampa.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:33 PM
  #57
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
?????

They got bounced in the first round by Tampa.
I meant they made playoffs despite their injuries.
... Too much posting tonight...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:32 AM
  #58
Augusto Ernesto Sand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Why not make a move for Stamkos?

Augusto Ernesto Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:21 AM
  #59
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto Ernesto Sand View Post
Why not make a move for Stamkos?
because we already have got a potential 50 g scorer, we just need someone who is gonna feed him and that isn't stamkos.

I like the idea of getting geno but who knows if he will be a scoring machine again after his injury?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:21 AM
  #60
copter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
I'm just curious where you guys that want Richards (or Stamkos) think this magical cap room is going to appear from? We still have several RFAs to sign and some of them are going to demand a hefty raise. And while we have players coming off the books at the end of 2012, we will have to focus on getting Myers + Ennis extended this season. We were in much better financial shape pre-Regehr trade. I just can't see how we'll be able to toss a boat-load of money at these FAs now. The problem with dreaming is that is starts to become reality and anything short of it will be deemed a disappointment. I view the Sabres as one of the least likely candidates to land Richards. They have amongst the smallest amount of cap room available in the league. The only thing going for them is their willingness to spend to the cap. We've been in that position before though.

I still think the most likely huge splash possible will be a trade for Malkin. I believe we almost traded for him back in Jan just prior to his injury. Had he remianed healthy, I have a firm belief that he'd be a Sabre today. Of course, we would lose assets in the process, but we need to in order to remain under the cap.

copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:05 AM
  #61
5 Minute Major
Registered User
 
5 Minute Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copter View Post
I'm just curious where you guys that want Richards (or Stamkos) think this magical cap room is going to appear from? We still have several RFAs to sign and some of them are going to demand a hefty raise. And while we have players coming off the books at the end of 2012, we will have to focus on getting Myers + Ennis extended this season. We were in much better financial shape pre-Regehr trade. I just can't see how we'll be able to toss a boat-load of money at these FAs now. The problem with dreaming is that is starts to become reality and anything short of it will be deemed a disappointment. I view the Sabres as one of the least likely candidates to land Richards. They have amongst the smallest amount of cap room available in the league. The only thing going for them is their willingness to spend to the cap. We've been in that position before though.

I still think the most likely huge splash possible will be a trade for Malkin. I believe we almost traded for him back in Jan just prior to his injury. Had he remianed healthy, I have a firm belief that he'd be a Sabre today. Of course, we would lose assets in the process, but we need to in order to remain under the cap.
What makes you believe we almost traded for Malkin before his injury?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:43 AM
  #62
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
because we already have got a potential 50 g scorer, we just need someone who is gonna feed him and that isn't stamkos.

I like the idea of getting geno but who knows if he will be a scoring machine again after his injury?
Vanek won't score 50 no matter who they can realistically bring in.
I'd kill to have a guy like Stamkos on our team.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:37 AM
  #63
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I think they need to cast a wider net.

There is also the possibility that they go with a stop-gap solution with short-term UFA deal to a natural center and then hold their assets for next year's draft (that first and two seconds), awaiting another opening when a previously unavailable player may come up on the market.

Jordan Staal, with Malkin and Crosby coming off major injuries and still not recovered, is unlikely as anyone in the NHL to be moved.

Stastny may or may not be available, it remains a case of finding what the Avs might take in trade if anything.

Spezza has been discussed to death.
This.

Hypothetically, if Richards does not sign with Buffalo, it would seem the front-runner is NYR (according to a couple sources, Brooks etc...). This could make a couple of Blueshirts available. Perhaps a guy like Dubinsky, Boyle or Anisimov might be attainable if all else fails (Richy, Statsny), Dubinsky especially would be a great fit here IMO.

As for Spezza - Murray is not gonna be kind on any kind of deal... Not worth what the asking price is gonna be.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:10 AM
  #64
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,675
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Everything Ive read and heard about him so far this offseason is he is trainging as hard as ever and looks to be back to 100% already so I would definitely look into it but with Crosby still being Injured I cant see them actually looking to trade him.
True -- without Sid back, they aren't moving either Malkin or Staal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The injury and the fact that he's unlikely to be 100% for a while is what makes this a really interesting conversation on what would be worth giving up to get a player that is a dominant #1 center when healthy.
And its' complicated by the Crosby concussion. It's hard to imagine them moving Malkin at this point.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
  #65
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I think they need to cast a wider net.

There is also the possibility that they go with a stop-gap solution with short-term UFA deal to a natural center and then hold their assets for next year's draft (that first and two seconds), awaiting another opening when a previously unavailable player may come up on the market.

Jordan Staal, with Malkin and Crosby coming off major injuries and still not recovered, is unlikely as anyone in the NHL to be moved.

Stastny may or may not be available, it remains a case of finding what the Avs might take in trade if anything.

Spezza has been discussed to death.
I think they will push hard for quality (Richards or another #1 center via trade) but if that fails they will go for quantity by adding two or more 2nd or 3rd line centers.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
  #66
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
In reality I think they are better targeting a so called 'top 6' guy like a Vermette type. Then sign a guy like Belanger for the 3rd.

While it doesn't have Richards (or any other superstar) a combination of Roy/Vermette/Belanger/Gaustad down the middle with Hecht or even someone like Adam able to deputise is pretty solid and better than anything they have now.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:12 PM
  #67
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Copter......they will get that cap space when they make a few trades. IMO, they will deal Pomms or Boyes in a deal, and then one more of our defensmen. My opinion.

If all options are open, they will not keep the staus quo around the Sabres. Anyone who knows hockey, knows there has needed a change for a couple seasons. I'm not saying some of these guys lack talent but the overall core attitude has needed that change, and I think a deal like Regher is the starting point.

I would not be against the Brassard/Vermette #1a/#1b center, and if we could add a legit center like Fittupla (ha again, one day I swear I will learn his name!!!!) or Stoll too, we'd be very deep down the middle.

Again, I would sacrifice one of Boyes/Pomms and several of our young defensmen to add a Brassard/Vermette and Stoll/Fittpulla. Let Adam play a bit on the wing, along with Kassain knocking at the door.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Brassard/Vermette - Pomms/Boyes
Hecht - Stoll/Fittupla - Adam
Gerbe - Gausted - Kaleta
McCormick

Our winger have had depth the last few years but we need to put some of that depth in the middle. Plues, the cap implications of a Brassard/Vermette are better than a true #1

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
  #68
Dabs21Nike
Registered User
 
Dabs21Nike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tonawanda
Country: United States
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Copter......they will get that cap space when they make a few trades. IMO, they will deal Pomms or Boyes in a deal, and then one more of our defensmen. My opinion.

If all options are open, they will not keep the staus quo around the Sabres. Anyone who knows hockey, knows there has needed a change for a couple seasons. I'm not saying some of these guys lack talent but the overall core attitude has needed that change, and I think a deal like Regher is the starting point.

I would not be against the Brassard/Vermette #1a/#1b center, and if we could add a legit center like Fittupla (ha again, one day I swear I will learn his name!!!!) or Stoll too, we'd be very deep down the middle.

Again, I would sacrifice one of Boyes/Pomms and several of our young defensmen to add a Brassard/Vermette and Stoll/Fittpulla. Let Adam play a bit on the wing, along with Kassain knocking at the door.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Brassard/Vermette - Pomms/Boyes
Hecht - Stoll/Fittupla - Adam
Gerbe - Gausted - Kaleta
McCormick

Our winger have had depth the last few years but we need to put some of that depth in the middle. Plues, the cap implications of a Brassard/Vermette are better than a true #1
I've been on the Vermette train for a few months now and I think he could definitely be available now that Carter's on board. I know Columbus is looking for a top pairing defenseman, but I wonder if Sekera would interest them? Young guy just coming into his own who looks like he could turn into a top pairing offensive guy, or at the very least a second pairing guy. I think Brassard would cost a lot more to acquire. Filppula could be a good target as well, but I'm not sure what Detroit would be looking for. I want no part of Stoll and his $3.6 million salary. He didn't impress me in the playoffs after managing a whole 5 SOG and 3 assists in 5 playoff games.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
  #69
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabs21Nike View Post
Filppula could be a good target as well, but I'm not sure what Detroit would be looking for.
I imagine they'd be interested in defense as well, though I'm not saying they'd trade Filppula for Sekera, but I think they'd listen.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
  #70
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok
 
SundherDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
HANZAL!!!!

or backstrom

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:17 PM
  #71
Rowley Birkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: England
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Copter......they will get that cap space when they make a few trades. IMO, they will deal Pomms or Boyes in a deal, and then one more of our defensmen. My opinion.

If all options are open, they will not keep the staus quo around the Sabres. Anyone who knows hockey, knows there has needed a change for a couple seasons. I'm not saying some of these guys lack talent but the overall core attitude has needed that change, and I think a deal like Regher is the starting point.

I would not be against the Brassard/Vermette #1a/#1b center, and if we could add a legit center like Fittupla (ha again, one day I swear I will learn his name!!!!) or Stoll too, we'd be very deep down the middle.

Again, I would sacrifice one of Boyes/Pomms and several of our young defensmen to add a Brassard/Vermette and Stoll/Fittpulla. Let Adam play a bit on the wing, along with Kassain knocking at the door.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Brassard/Vermette - Pomms/Boyes
Hecht - Stoll/Fittupla - Adam
Gerbe - Gausted - Kaleta
McCormick

Our winger have had depth the last few years but we need to put some of that depth in the middle. Plues, the cap implications of a Brassard/Vermette are better than a true #1
My main target would just be to simply sign Belanger for the checking line role, but if you can get Brassard/Vermette AND Filppula (I think thats how to spell it) via trade then I'm all for it. Big fan of all players involved That is a really strong quartet overall IMO.

Edit - I also like Hanzal a lot as a 3rd line type however would he be available?

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:18 PM
  #72
Zeke14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
I didn't see any mention of Weiss in this thread. I know he has an NTC (or NMC), but I can't imagine him not wanting to get out of FL to come to a playoff bound team. A deal could look something like this:

To FL:
Good prospect (Foligno)
Good pick (Calgary's 2nd or our 2012 first)
and a salary dump (Shamo or Kotalik)

To Buf:
Weiss

Might be an overpayment but no roster players moved (Shamo doesn't count)

Weiss' contract is only 3.1 million for this and next year. By not signing Brad for 8ish the sabres would have significant space to pursue a UFA Dman - I'd like Wizneiwski or Ehrhoff.

If FL took some cap back we might even be able to put an offer sheet together to steal one of the Rangers RFAs - Callahan or Dubinsky - especially if they end up getting Richards.

My Lines:
Vanek - Roy - Pominville
Ennis - Weiss - Stafford
Hecht - Dubinsky*/Connolly - Boyes/Callahan*
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
McCormick

*whichever (if either) they could get.

Myers - Regehr
Leopld - Ehrhoff or Wiz
Sekera - Weber
Gragnani

Cup contender right there.

Zeke14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
  #73
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copter View Post
I'm just curious where you guys that want Richards (or Stamkos) think this magical cap room is going to appear from? We still have several RFAs to sign and some of them are going to demand a hefty raise. And while we have players coming off the books at the end of 2012, we will have to focus on getting Myers + Ennis extended this season. We were in much better financial shape pre-Regehr trade. I just can't see how we'll be able to toss a boat-load of money at these FAs now. The problem with dreaming is that is starts to become reality and anything short of it will be deemed a disappointment. I view the Sabres as one of the least likely candidates to land Richards. They have amongst the smallest amount of cap room available in the league. The only thing going for them is their willingness to spend to the cap. We've been in that position before though.

I still think the most likely huge splash possible will be a trade for Malkin. I believe we almost traded for him back in Jan just prior to his injury. Had he remianed healthy, I have a firm belief that he'd be a Sabre today. Of course, we would lose assets in the process, but we need to in order to remain under the cap.
I don't know where you've been the last few weeks but our cap situation has been discussed to death and we have plenty. To get you up to speed its basically like this:

We have 12.5M in available cap right now, after adding Regehr and Kotalik. Resigning Sekera (2M), Weber (.850M), Gragnani (.850M), Gerbe (1.1M), Enroth (1M), and McCormick (.850M), and bringing up Adam (.875M) will take us down to about 5M. Sending Kotalik (3M) and Morrisonn (2.075M) to the minors, if we choose to do so, brings us back up to about 10M.

10M in cap with only one absolutely critical hole (1/2C) gives us a lot of flexibility.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
  #74
Paradigm
Registered User
 
Paradigm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
I don't see guys like Spezza or Stastny being realistic, and with that said, I can't see any other true #1 centers that would potentially be available in a trade. Malkin isn't going to be traded; Pittsburgh will be stacked next year with a healthy roster, and they'll be a Top 3 seed.

The FA crop at center is even worse next year, unless you consider Patrick Sharp a center (he's another wing/center hybrid at best, imo).

In this case, I would try to improve our depth in general. I'm talking about targeting guys like Brassard, Weiss, Filppula, Gagner, Stoll, and Belanger (UFA). My dream would be Pavelski, but I question his availability. With Setoguchi gone, maybe dangling Stafford + McNabb/Pysyk + 1st might do it?

Vanek-Brassard/Weiss-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Boyes/Stafford (One of them is gone in a trade for a center)
Hecht-Filppula/Stoll/Belanger-Kotalik
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

With this approach, I believe we should have the cap space to sign another vet d-man like Ehrhoff or Wisniewski.

Our defense could look like this (Sekera traded for Filppula or packaged for a center)

Regehr-Myers
Leopold-Wisniewski
Weber-Gragnani

or

Ehrhoff-Myers
Regehr-Leopold
Weber-Gragnani

Is this the right way to go about it? Who knows, but it seems like a decent alternative to having a true #1 center, and allows us to spend more on defense.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:29 AM
  #75
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,189
vCash: 500
I've shifted my focus to Columbus. Derrick Brassard, anyone?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.