HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden May Void His Contract If Kept In Minors Next Season?

Old
06-28-2011, 04:17 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Redden May Void His Contract If Kept In Minors Next Season?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/p...urn=nhl-365728

I have no idea why I haven't seen anyone talk about this, but apparently back in February the Daily News learned that Redden may void his contract with the Rangers to become a free agent and attempt to find a home on an NHL team. Given that it's a guarantee that him and his cap hit are staying there, do you think he'll actually walk away from his contract to play at the NHL level again, albeit on a much lesser salary if he can even find a team.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Wishful thinking. I find it hard to believe that he will do that though. Guaranteed big bucks to play for fun basically. If he was a guy driven by the heart to succeed at the highest level of competition, then he would have done it last season. This guys in it for the money.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:22 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i dont see him giving up the $$$

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=880480

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Wishful thinking. I find it hard to believe that he will do that though. Guaranteed big bucks to play for fun basically. If he was a guy driven by the heart to succeed at the highest level of competition, then he would have done it last season. This guys in it for the money.
Is it so hard to believe that he simply declined early and that this has nothing to do with "heart"?

I wanted him buried in the minors for salary cap reasons as much as the next guy, but now that he's there I really don't see the need for the constant abuse.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Like I said in the other thread some one get Tony Soprano to get newspaper and wrap it around a certain thing and leave it in Redden's mail box. This method should also be applied to Drury too.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Is it so hard to believe that he simply declined early and that this has nothing to do with "heart"?

I wanted him buried in the minors for salary cap reasons as much as the next guy, but now that he's there I really don't see the need for the constant abuse.
this is HF boards. Heart/determination/attitude/effort are an explanation for everything and anything.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

I have no idea why I haven't seen anyone talk about this, but apparently back in February the Daily News learned that Redden may void his contract with the Rangers to become a free agent and attempt to find a home on an NHL team. Given that it's a guarantee that him and his cap hit are staying there, do you think he'll actually walk away from his contract to play at the NHL level again, albeit on a much lesser salary if he can even find a team.
Yes i do expect him to void his contract and make it in the nhl. I know everyone is hoping that it will be this season but im hoping he will do it next offseason. He has repeatedly stated that hockey isnt about the money but about playing in the best league possible. The AHL is not where he wants to be, he wants to play for the NHL and knows he will never get a chance with the Rangers again.

The reason why i stated that id rather next year than this year is because Redden being in the AHL really helped and mentored the young defense back there. I believe that Mcdonagh and Sauer both said that Redden really helped them to refine their game and be ready for the next step. Id really love it if he could continue to do that with Kundratek, V-Tank, and the new guys like McIlrath, Pashnin and Parlette.

We can fit Richards in without moving him and besides the rest of this free agent crop isnt looking to good with everyone resigning. Next year there should be a better group of free agents to go for. With Redden, Drury, Wolski, Avery, EC, and a couple others coming off the books, well have about 19m in cap space.

Only reason i would like to see Redden gone this season is if it enables us to sign Stamkos to an offer sheet at 9m per year. Hes very much worth that cap hit.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

No one's talking about it because it's 5 months old and it's already been talked about.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
No one's talking about it because it's 5 months old and it's already been talked about.
pretty much. i think we talked about this back when the article came out

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I could see it happening. He's still young enough to be of use. He'd probably sign a 1 yr $1.5M-$2M to re-prove himself and try to earn an extension / raise. I don't think any pro-athlete would be playing in Hartford to an empty barn. Unless he is in some sort of dire financial situation, playing in the big leagues will be more important. A life time of regret >>> walking away from some money (especially when he already has a lot of it). Sure a few Mil more would be nice but it's not like he's going to be miserable and in ruin without it whereas he is almost guaranteed to be miserable playing in Hartford.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Agreed. It's old news and nothing is going to happen until training camp.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
gotmonte

Love to Offer sheet Stamkos but it wont happen.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

LOL...So let me get this straight. Your offended that I don't think Wade Redden has the heart to compete at a higher level?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
LOL...So let me get this straight. Your offended that I don't think Wade Redden has the heart to compete at a higher level?
Wade Redden has received constant and merciless abuse from the fans. Some of it is warranted. However, you could tell that Redden's game was slipping away. He even said it himself how he could feel it going, how he knew what to do but simply could not do what he once could.

Just because you don't exude emotion, doesn't mean you are playing without heart and determination. Find me a time when Lidstrom is anything but cool as a cucumber, same with Datsyuk. Some guys play like that, keeping their emotions in check.

I hope Redden terminates the contract, pipe-dream it is however.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I'm curious as to what he has said or done to indicate he's lacking in the "heart" department. I see a guy whose game was not cut out for the post-lockout, who as he aged saw a serious deterioration in his speed and general skills. He still seemed to work very hard every shift...I don't recall him quitting on a play, ever.

Plenty of things wrong with Redden, but I don't think any of it ought to be attributed to lacking heart.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Ryan Callahan has the heart to be an elite first liner in the modern NHL, but his skills don't let him do that. Redden's older and just can't keep up anymore, it doesn't have to do with heart.

Not a fan of Redden or what we have to waste paying him, but as long as he takes this without being a cancer down in Hartford, whatever.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Ryan Callahan has the heart to be an elite first liner in the modern NHL, but his skills don't let him do that. Redden's older and just can't keep up anymore, it doesn't have to do with heart.

Not a fan of Redden or what we have to waste paying him, but as long as he takes this without being a cancer down in Hartford, whatever.
By all accounts, he has been a terrific teammate down in Hartford, and has done an excellent job mentoring the younger players.

Redden sucks as an NHL defenseman; no one disputes this. But given what has transpired over the past few years, I think Wade has handled the situation as well as anyone could. He's been gracious and professional. This could have been an extremely messy situation for the franchise, and yet Redden's behavior has allowed us to keep it as nothing more than a waste of money.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
By all accounts, he has been a terrific teammate down in Hartford, and has done an excellent job mentoring the younger players.

Redden sucks as an NHL defenseman; no one disputes this. But given what has transpired over the past few years, I think Wade has handled the situation as well as anyone could. He's been gracious and professional. This could have been an extremely messy situation for the franchise, and yet Redden's behavior has allowed us to keep it as nothing more than a waste of money.
Yeah, when guys like McDonagh make it a point to mention how helpful Redden was to him, you can't insult him as a person. As a hockey player? Absolutely. As a contract? Yes, please. But no reason to say anything other than that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I think he is questioning why people continue to question Redden's heart when it was clearly detioriating skills.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, when guys like McDonagh make it a point to mention how helpful Redden was to him, you can't insult him as a person. As a hockey player? Absolutely. As a contract? Yes, please. But no reason to say anything other than that.
Yup, McDonagh said he was helped a lot by Wade. IIRC, Kundratek said the same. And Parlett said he worked with Redden all the time in that recent article posted here.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I was going to respond, but posts 15-20 pretty much covered anything I was going to say.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kb

Quote:
Sure thing....give up $6.5 million to get back to the NHL at $525K. Right. Would you do it on principle? LOL I didn't think so.

kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Love to Offer sheet Stamkos but it wont happen.
I'd love for my gf to turn into "The Lovely Arianny".

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I think he is questioning why people continue to question Redden's heart when it was clearly detioriating skills.
I love how people seem to find a way to take blame of Sather. Im not sayin Redden plays with a lot of emotion or he doesent but im tired of the same story like Drury that there skills deterioated, as if they were worth when they signed but somehow got worse when they got here. Yes hes speed might have slowed a bit but an NHL hockey player does not just lose his skills. The fact is other guys get better, league is faster, something that should be anticipated by scouts watching the game. Redden was who he was when we signed him.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote