Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Undrafted Players

Old
06-27-2011, 01:29 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Undrafted Players

I was curious how this plays out. If a kid declares himself for the draft but doesn't get picked can he declare himself for next years draft?
I've been slowly stockpiling some information of players that have gone undrafted this year and am kind of wondering if my effort are futile.

I know the Wild can sign undrafted players but generally do players declare twice?

If it's common places for players to get signed after not being draft I have a decent list of players I think the Wild could/should try to sign (or whatever).

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
If they don't get drafted they can go back to the draft till they hit 20. Then they're UFA.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:10 AM
BuddyMcCormick

I figured something like that. But is it commonplace for a player to keep entering the draft if they don't get picked the first time? I'm curious because Myles Bell had top tier talent going into the year, unfortunately a bad decision on his part derailed his season/life. He might be worth trying to get him in the system.

(For those that don't know the story, it sounds as if he was drunk driving, underage drinking as well, and crashed the vehicle. It ended up killing a gal.)

I dont' condone drunk driving but it might be worth it to pursue this kid. I'd like it chalk it up to a young kid making a few stupid mistakes, don't we all? It might just give him more motivation to better himself.
/shrug

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2011/NHL-D...les/Myles-Bell

Old
06-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I figured something like that. But is it commonplace for a player to keep entering the draft if they don't get picked the first time? I'm curious because Myles Bell had top tier talent going into the year, unfortunately a bad decision on his part derailed his season/life. He might be worth trying to get him in the system.

(For those that don't know the story, it sounds as if he was drunk driving, underage drinking as well, and crashed the vehicle. It ended up killing a gal.)

I dont' condone drunk driving but it might be worth it to pursue this kid. I'd like it chalk it up to a young kid making a few stupid mistakes, don't we all? It might just give him more motivation to better himself.
/shrug

Up to himself, unless there is a rule somewhere that you can't enter a draft if you have crime register or something similar.
I guess he will go undrafted and if he developes well he could get signed. After reading more to it I think there is a good chance he gets a late round pick in the next two drafts. If he signs up.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:10 AM
leoleo3535

vCash: 500
Players do not have to declare or sign up for the draft.
It is automatic.

Players that were not drafted in their 1st draft can sign anywhere, failing that they are automatically in the next draft.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
Players do not have to declare or sign up for the draft.
It is automatic.

Players that were not drafted in their 1st draft can sign anywhere, failing that they are automatically in the next draft.
Hmm then I've been under a wrong impression. Should have known better.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
schmidty94

Quote:

/shrug

Even though he has a lot of potential and skill I just don't want to have a Dany Heatley situation with this team.

schmidty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:

/shrug

I was wondering why Bell went undrafted and nobody took a late pick on him and it sounds like that's the explanation.

Josh Shalla was an undrafted prospect from last year that ended up getting picked up by Nashville (I believe) in this year's draft. Brandon Kichton I believe is another.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty94 View Post
Even though he has a lot of potential and skill I just don't want to have a Dany Heatley situation with this team.
I'm not very religious at all but, "He without sin shall cast the first stone". Or something like that. I am a firm believer in Karma, give the kid a chance and you will be rewarded one way or another.

Yes the kid made a mistake. A huge mistake but it's what we learn from these mistakes shows who we really are. If the kid is remorseful and takes up doing charity events to kids to inform them of the danger of drunk driving, clearly he's learned. Why not give the kid a chance?

Old
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If we hired MacT we could sign the kid, similar situation.

Also, if he was drunk driving and killed someone, why didn't he do any time?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If we hired MacT we could sign the kid, similar situation.

Also, if he was drunk driving and killed someone, why didn't he do any time?
Charges have been pressed but I think they're still doing an investigation? The incident happened in April, I believe.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Matt Hackett went undrafted his first time. Second time Fletcher and co. picked him up in the 3rd round.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Yeah, but I'm almost positive Hackett was alleged to have killed someone while drinking and driving. At any rate, I'd be willing to give the kid a chance, if possible.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah lots of players have shot up their second year. David Perron is one. If a kid thinks he's going to have a much better shot at getting drafted, not a bad idea to just go back into the draft.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
schmidty94

Quote:
I'm not very religious at all but, "He without sin shall cast the first stone". Or something like that. I am a firm believer in Karma, give the kid a chance and you will be rewarded one way or another.

Yes the kid made a mistake. A huge mistake but it's what we learn from these mistakes shows who we really are. If the kid is remorseful and takes up doing charity events to kids to inform them of the danger of drunk driving, clearly he's learned. Why not give the kid a chance?
I absolutely agree in giving someone a second chance but as someone who has lost multiple relatives to drunk driving, I really am hesitant about signing him to a contract.

schmidty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
I absolutely agree in giving someone a second chance but as someone who has lost multiple relatives to drunk driving, I really am hesitant about signing him to a contract.
I understand where you're coming from. I am a little bit more willing to give a kid, he's 17 years old, a chance then I would someone older like 20's and later. You should know better by then, and know you're limits. I'm not saying what he did was right by any means, but remember back when I was that age it's harder to know your limit coupled with thinking that you're invincible makes for a deadly combo.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Goalie View Post
Hmm then I've been under a wrong impression. Should have known better.
It used to be the case where players could "opt out" (mostly college hockey players but some Europeans) but that was changed with the newest CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Matt Hackett went undrafted his first time. Second time Fletcher and co. picked him up in the 3rd round.
Same thing happened with T.J. Tynan this year.

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm almost positive Hackett was alleged to have killed someone while drinking and driving. At any rate, I'd be willing to give the kid a chance, if possible.
Wait what?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. I am a little bit more willing to give a kid, he's 17 years old, a chance then I would someone older like 20's and later. You should know better by then, and know you're limits. I'm not saying what he did was right by any means, but remember back when I was that age it's harder to know your limit coupled with thinking that you're invincible makes for a deadly combo.
Both sides make a great point and have a personal connection to what each of you said. At this point, I can't say to throw a developmental contract his way just yet. I don't know more than what Fletcher, Flahr, etc. do, so other than a possible PR hit for drafting him, there must've been another reason why 30 teams passed on him 4-7 times.

To me, what would've made him draft-worthy is a "rise above" attitude determined to pay for his mistakes with interest. Maybe some sensed that he was playing the victim and had a sense of self entitlement? If it were the former, I'd have no problem taking a chance on him.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:25 PM
DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah lots of players have shot up their second year. David Perron is one. If a kid thinks he's going to have a much better shot at getting drafted, not a bad idea to just go back into the draft.
Does the name Benoit Pouliot come to anyone elses' mind. Not that he had a choice on why he got drafted the following year (I beleive his father passed away his age 18 year, pretty much came out of nowhere the following year.) not directly pointing out this post, just thinking out loud.

DW is online now   Reply With Quote