Official 2011-2012 Providence Bruins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
PBruinsfan10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
Problem is the loads more talented guys won't get here till next year, by my count there's still many spots open on this team
true, but this leaves room for those second-tier guys: Cunningham, Randell, et al. Cunningham put on a good performance this weekend, it'll be good to see what he can do in the pros.

Old
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruinsfan10 View Post
true, but this leaves room for those second-tier guys: Cunningham, Randell, et al. Cunningham put on a good performance this weekend, it'll be good to see what he can do in the pros.
Will they wait to sign Cunnigham until after camp? I really liked him. Glad he'll be in Providence.

I am Boston Strong

Old
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
PBruinsfan10

Rob Murray just found himself a job.

http://www.adn.com/2011/07/13/196593...ime-bruin.html

Old
07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
BruinsFanAK

As a fan of the Alaska Aces, what can Providence fans tell me about coach Murray? What kind of a style did his teams play?

Old
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
bruinmann77

Did Cassidy announce his coaches yet?

Old
07-13-2011, 10:03 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFanAK View Post
As a fan of the Alaska Aces, what can Providence fans tell me about coach Murray? What kind of a style did his teams play?
They pretty much played the Boston system, but with a lack of talent it was not physical or offensive enough to be successful on a regular basis. For a guy who was one of the dirtiest players ever, they never hit or fought very much.

He was overmatched at this level. I think the positive is that I was told most players would run through a wall for the guy (at least his first year), they liked him that much, and he will not be afraid to bench a guy not pulling his weight.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Alaska will be a better fit for him, doesn't have to worry about high end propects that can't take that next step. Not the biggest fan of his but Boston really gave him some pds poor players

Old
07-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Quote:
This is what I noticed about Murray/PRO (Providence) consistently, and I don't know exactly how to read it.
The PRO team was 'lackluster' for lack of a better term. Most players carried unimpressive/middling stats.
Now, when the Big B's needed a callup, in nearly every case, the player that got off the bus exceeded nearly every pre-conceived expectation of what that player would deliver.
Boychuk, McQuaid and Kampfer are easy examples. Based on my limited exposure to PRO players, my expectations were less than zero where it came to their time as injury placeholders.
Boychuk and McQuaid proved to be keepers - starters on a Championship club, and Kampfer, though somewhat flawed - is very close. Probably there are other examples.

Not sure how to interpret that kind of enigmatic production?
Either Murray was very good at developing players - but not a 'team', or he was holding back players that should have done more at the AHL-level.

Old
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
rocketdan9

In the end of the Development camp i'm reading Cantin was the best D

The way he plays sounds like how Mcquaid and Boychuk plays, but apparently a better skater than both.

Anybody know why he went undrafted??

Old
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post

The way he plays sounds like how Mcquaid and Boychuk plays, but apparently a better skater than both.

I believe the consensus was that Button was the best D in camp tho I could be wrong. I do believe Button was the better overall D man.

Cantin is very good and is going to be a great addition to Providence and will definitely push the guys already there to perform at their very best. He's definitely a steal. Definitely a better skater than Quaider/JB.

Old
07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
rocketdan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I believe the consensus was that Button was the best D in camp tho I could be wrong. I do believe Button was the better overall D man.

Cantin is very good and is going to be a great addition to Providence and will definitely push the guys already there to perform at their very best. He's definitely a steal. Definitely a better skater than Quaider/JB.
I did read that Button at times was better than the rest of the d's, especially with skating/drills but during scrimmages disappeared or was not effective (which i definitely can believe).

His tenure in the whl was avg at best. I did see a few games he played these past few years and i was not disappointed nor did i notice him in the games.

He has some intriguing tools (skates like a first round D), but something is missing from his game to be a top calbre D

I hope in providence he will be able to put it all together

Last edited by rocketdan9: 07-14-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

And this years' opponents will be...

http://www.providencebruins.com/View/PressReleases/757

Old
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
PBruinsfan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
And this years' opponents will be...

http://www.providencebruins.com/View/PressReleases/757
it's ludicrous that they're only playing 12 out of 30 total teams, and that the St. John's No Names are in the division yet they only play four games against the P-Bruins. Weird, weird restructuring.

They play more games against teams that used to be in their division but arent anymore (CT, Bridgeport, Springfield) than they do against St. Johns. Travel-wise it makes sense.....division-wise, it's kind of silly.

ZERO games against West Conference teams is what disappoints me a little.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

I was there every day and with a bunch of folks- I like Cantin, but I missed him being the best and so did the rest of the crew (some posters, some lurkers)....I'd say he went undrafted because 100 or more scouts didn't think he was better than McQuaid and Boychuk.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:32 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I'm not a Whitfield hater, never understood why people have to give the guy a hard time. But I do want him to stay in providence, he lit the league up in his last stretch coming back and he's a great mentor for the young guys down there, that's why I want him there. A mini-Recchi
Whitfield was great down the stretch and has many of the attributes teams covert in an organization. His contract is structured in a way he'll be around a few years, and I'm pretty sure is looked at by Sweeney as a player-assistant coach. Don't be surprised if things go well this cat is coaching in Providence some day when his career is over. They like him a lot.

Old
07-14-2011, 09:20 PM
bruinmann77

Any update on who will be Cassidy Sidekicks?

Old
07-14-2011, 09:28 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
I did read that Button at times was better than the rest of the d's, especially with skating/drills but during scrimmages disappeared or was not effective (which i definitely can believe).

His tenure in the whl was avg at best. I did see a few games he played these past few years and i was not disappointed nor did i notice him in the games.

He has some intriguing tools (skates like a first round D), but something is missing from his game to be a top calbre D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I was there every day and with a bunch of folks- I like Cantin, but I missed him being the best and so did the rest of the crew (some posters, some lurkers)....I'd say he went undrafted because 100 or more scouts didn't think he was better than McQuaid and Boychuk.
I thought Cantin looked real good, but I would have to give Button the slight edge.

Not sure what people you are referring to that said Button disappeared during the scrimmages, or why that doesn't surprise you, but I did not see that. He was active at both ends of the ice and his skating skills were evident, but he also mucked it up in the corners at times. I thought he and O'Gara were the best pair the day I was there.

His lack of eye-popping numbers in Jrs is probably due to the fact that Prince Albert was pretty bad during his entire tenure there?

Old
07-14-2011, 10:10 PM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Whitfield was great down the stretch and has many of the attributes teams covert in an organization. His contract is structured in a way he'll be around a few years, and I'm pretty sure is looked at by Sweeney as a player-assistant coach. Don't be surprised if things go well this cat is coaching in Providence some day when his career is over. They like him a lot.
I'm not a Whitfield hater either, but would be upset if he ever sets foot on the ice in Boston again. I think what you've laid out is great for him and the PBruins.

Old
07-16-2011, 07:42 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Rocket, as you know, it is almost always a question of getting experience for young defenseman. Never seen him play myself but sounds like he has the tools, just needs the right coaches, and opportunity to put it together consistently?

Old
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Had a feeling this kid would be back...

http://bruinsblog.projo.com/2011/07/...-pc-cente.html

Old
07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
PBruinsfan10

Kevin Dean will be the Providence assistant coach next year.

Stefan Chaput also signed a contract extension.

Old
07-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Malt
#wpri12steve

A nice read from the projo today:

http://www.projo.com/bostonbruins/co..._v2.4af5c.html

Quote:
Including:

Bruins pony up

The Bruins haven’t been known as free spenders when it comes to signing minor-league free agents for Providence.

That’s why it was an eye-opener when the Bruins shelled out a healthy chunk of money to wrap up four AHL veterans –– goalie Anton Khudobin, centers Josh Hennessey and Trent Whitfield and winger Jamie Tardif –– this month.

In the not-too-distant past, Boston was usually unwilling to pay a good AHL player much more than $100,000. That, however, was before back-to-back non-playoff seasons in Providence.

Times have changed:

•According to capgeek.com, Khudobin’s two-year deal will pay him $100,000 in salary plus a $150,000 signing bonus in the AHL this season, and $900,000 in the NHL. Next year, Khudobin will make $800,000 whether he plays in the AHL or the NHL.

•Tardif’s two-year, two-way contract will pay him $200,000 to play in Providence and $600,000 in Boston.

•Hennessy received a one-year, two-way deal for $200,000 in the AHL and $600,000 in Boston.

•Whitfield is taking a pay cut this season on the AHL part of his two-year contract, making $105,000 after earning $160,000 last season, and $550,000 in the NHL. But in 2012-13, Whitfield will make $235,000 in the AHL, and $575,000 in the NHL.

In addition, veteran defenseman Nathan MacIver will be paid $160,000 to play in Providence this season in the second and final year of his contract.

For a team that wants to win while developing young players, proven vets who can score at the AHL level and step into the NHL if needed are worth the extra money.

“The teams that spend a little more on those guys who have proven to be good American League scorers tend to have more success because there’s less pressure on your young guys to score,” said Cassidy.

“If you look at last year –– (Max) Sauve, (Jamie) Arniel, (Jordan) Caron, (Joe) Colborne –– first- and second-year guys that you’re expecting to score, it can be difficult. Max Sauve found a way to be pretty consistent, but the other guys had their ups and downs. It does take some pressure off when you’ve got those proven guys.”

Old
07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
captain stone

Cassidy, though I'm not a fan of his hiring, makes sense here.
Out of the 12-15 Fs on the roster, 4-6 should consist of proven - but still young enough to help the big club - AHL scorers, with at least 1-2 on each of the top 2 lines.

Old
07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

Just renewed my season tickets. Was kind of iffy after last season but with a new crop of prospects and solid goaltending in khudobin I am more optimistic.Can't wait

Old
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
PBruinsfan10

Matt Dalton recently signed with Vityaz Chekhov of the KHL. So looks like between Providence and Reading, the goalies will be

#1 Khudobin (obviously)
#2 Hutchinson (barring any sudden downgrade in his consistency)
and #3 Courchaine, who should move to Reading after a solid year in Alaska as backup goalie on the Kelly Cup-winning Aces.

Nice.

Closed Thread