HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regier this morning; wants another vet dman, center upgrade, Connolly

Old
06-27-2011, 10:41 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

vCash: 500
If they offer Connolly a Grier/Niedermayer type deal [or slightly more], then great.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he hits the open market, though. I can't see him signing this week and taking a sizable cut in pay with the thin UFA crop of centers.

Unless he absolutely doesn't want to leave Hockey Heaven and is willing to just take whatever Regier offers.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hjalmarrson got 3.5 mil per for 3 years at 23 yrs old RFA. His minutes/role are very similar to Sekera. He made under 700k the previous season

Dan Girardi as a 25 yr old RFA got 4 years at 3.325 per

Alex Edler at 23 yrs old got 4 years at 3.25 per

Tobias Enstrom at 24 years old got 4 years at 3.75

Sekera at 2.3 is NOT absurd... it's a good deal.
I honestly don't consider Sekera in the same category of player as those other guys, but that's just me.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If they offer Connolly a Grier/Niedermayer type deal [or slightly more], then great.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he hits the open market, though. I can't see him signing this week and taking a sizable cut in pay with the thin UFA crop of centers.

Unless he absolutely doesn't want to leave Hockey Heaven and is willing to just take whatever Regier offers.....
The power of Pegula and Regier of the Jedi!

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Pominville is going to start the year on LTIR (prediction)
Yes but if they sign, say, Richards, Connolly, and a defensemen, they're likely going to have to move someone to get under the summer cap, right?

I agree that Poms will probably start off on the LTIR and Kotalik will probably be in the bottom 6 keeping a seat warm until his return.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Kruschiki

Any chance they are interested in Kaberle?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'd love 2/3.5M$ total deal. But that's about where I had pegged Butler.

Maybe I'm being generous?
Maybe, I dunno.

I've been fairly close on pegging RFA salaries in the past, but maybe I'm not considering the effect the latest cap expansion will have on this year's crop.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I honestly don't consider Sekera in the same category of player as those other guys, but that's just me.
and 2.3 million is only ~66% of those guys salaries... hardly "absurd"...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
not if they watched the Bruins at any point in the post season

Old
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton02 View Post
That looks good, but assume we give Richards around $7 mil and Coatlick get buried in Rochester, do we have the cap space for that?

I think Hecht has to go. I wonder if the Avs or Islanders will take his salary.
No Hecht doesn't. They currently have $12 mil in cap space. Stashing Kotalik in Rochester gives them $15 mil. If they sign Richards to a $7mil cap hit then they'll have around $8 mil left. Let's assume our RFAs combined make up $6-6.5 mil in cap space. They will be tight against the cap, but they'll dump or bury Morrisonn before Hecht. If Richards signs here I don't see them bringing back Connolly when they could sign a cheaper vet option, or have Adam and Hecht split time as their 3rd line center.

I think were more likely to see Connolly back as our 3rd line center if Darcy can't sign Richards or land a guy like Statsny or Spezza in a trade, and acquires a 2nd line center whose not as good as Roy or a 2/3 guy like Stoll. If they landed Richards having Hecht, Adam, or a guy like Belanger, Talbot etc. as the 3rd line center would be fine. It would make more sense for them to use the kind of money Connolly will get(I don't see him taking less than $2.5 per year) towards adding another vet top 4 dman.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
- 7th dman at 700k....after what's being stated in this interview, that doesn't appear to be likely. It appears that one of your 6 will be the 7th, and someone more pricey will be brought in.
Just to be clear, those salaries were being responded to by me, not figured by me.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
If they sign Richards I would imagine they would have to dump a little bit of salary from this team.

Boyes?

Hecht?

Someone would have to go.

Didn't Black already say they want to leave themselves a little bit of a cushion with the cap? That makes sense in case you want to add a player at the deadline.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Maybe, I dunno.

I've been fairly close on pegging RFA salaries in the past, but maybe I'm not considering the effect the latest cap expansion will have on this year's crop.
What do you base it on?

Sekera is heading towards his 3rd contract. And has been used as a top 4 defender for most of the last 2 seasons.

He played 21 minutes a game... on a playoff team. Statistically, he is the defintion of a #3 defensemen entering the prime of his career. You can disagree all you like, but in contract negotiations, Hjalmarrson is going to be the comparison.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
and 2.3 million is only ~66% of those guys salaries... hardly "absurd"...
I just don't see it. Sekera doesn't have the same level of play that those other guys did when they got their deals.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Isn't that more or less further evidence that the big names that have been discussed on these boards (Richards, Stastny, Spezza, etc.) are the ones they're looking at, given that Roy is the barometer upon which they're basing that "upgrade" on, and his implied view about Connolly as a 3rd line center?

I think so. The "2A/2B" approach, where adding a center of Roy's ability, wouldn't truly qualify as an upgrade.
All it means is they will upgrade the center position. Though they seem wide open to any possibility and I agree Richards seems to be targets #1-3. As an aside, having two Roys in the top 6 instead of Roy/Connolly is an upgrade.

I also don't understand why you keep throwing this 2a/2b thing at me. I don't recall advocating a specific center scenario over another. Nor would any scenario involving Roy and a similarly skilled center be considered a 2a/2b scenario. Roy by any fair definition is a #1 center.

EDIT: I would love it if they got Richards and I'm getting the impression you think I don't want him.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Just to be clear, those salaries were being responded to by me, not figured by me.
To clear up what my point was, those were estimations on the "low" end what their cap hits could be. I was trying to make the point that they would need to trade Boyes, if both Richards and Connolly were signed. If you don't agree that those are their lower limits, that's fine with me.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
What do you base it on?

Sekera is heading towards his 3rd contract. And has been used as a top 4 defender for most of the last 2 seasons.

He played 21 minutes a game... on a playoff team. Statistically, he is the defintion of a #3 defensemen entering the prime of his career. You can disagree all you like, but in contract negotiations, Hjalmarrson is going to be the comparison.
I base it on my observation of his play. He's still very up and down at this point in his career. One season removed from splitting time in the 6th spot. If I'm the GM, that's the argument I'm making in negotiations. Show me you can do it for more than one year before you get a massive raise.

I'm not professing to be some savant here. I'm just tossing out my take on the matter, and I think that Sekera getting more than $2M is a complete overpayment. He hasn't done enough to earn that in my view.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
If they sign Richards I would imagine they would have to dump a little bit of salary from this team.

Boyes?

Hecht?

Someone would have to go.

Didn't Black already say they want to leave themselves a little bit of a cushion with the cap? That makes sense in case you want to add a player at the deadline.
If they play their cards right this offseason they won't have to make a move later. Getting Richards, another bottom-6 center (whether that is Connolly or not on a reasonable deal), and perhaps picking up another top-4 D-man while dumping some salary elsewhere, this team will be very well positioned to make a deep run without extra help at the deadline.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
Nope.

They are targetting dmen that are "thicker" to use Darcy's word. Guys like Regehr.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
LGB24

If connolly comes at no higher than 2 mil he'll be great for a 3rd line/depth/PK center. This all sounds very exciting for the next couple weeks. Has ever done this before? As in announce to the public our plans and stating we WILL be very active?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
If they play their cards right this offseason they won't have to make a move later. Getting Richards, another bottom-6 center (whether that is Connolly or not on a reasonable deal), and perhaps picking up another top-4 D-man while dumping some salary elsewhere, this team will be very well positioned to make a deep run without extra help at the deadline.
Certainly but it is also wise to have the room to make a move or two if you feel you have a contending team and there is a player or two that could help push you over the top.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:09 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
I think Morrisonn is being prematurely written off...
It depends what happens. I don't mind Morrison as a bottom pairing guy, or even a 7 d-man at 2 million. But, his contract, along with Boyes, is a sort of release valve if we start pushing the upper limits of the cap.

Let's say, by some amazement, the Sabres go out and sign:

Richards, Ian White, and Belanger to a total, 12 million per year in cap space. We're suddenly pushing the upper limit of the cap space with a good assortment of RFAs to sign. Boyes and Morrison would both be nice targets for teams like Florida looking to add short term deals to push them up to the cap floor.

I certainly don't see them giving him away unless we have some other moves that puts up against the cap.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I base it on my observation of his play. He's still very up and down at this point in his career. One season removed from splitting time in the 6th spot. If I'm the GM, that's the argument I'm making in negotiations. Show me you can do it for more than one year before you get a massive raise.

I'm not professing to be some savant here. I'm just tossing out my take on the matter, and I think that Sekera getting more than $2M is a complete overpayment. He hasn't done enough to earn that in my view.
So I guess you didn't have Drew Stafford pegged for 4 million?

There's a difference between what you think someone should be paid, and what the market actually bears.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Yeah, but an extra cap space is nice, esp at the deadline. A 1 million cushion could mean we could add a 3-3.5 million rental veteran at the deadline if someone on a ELC goes down with a LTIR (such as Ennis or Myers).

I'd like to see us cap out at around 62.5 just for pure flexibility to react to the unpredictable.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

Quote:
Sekera at $2.3 is absurd, and Weber at $1.3M is slightly less so.
I have Sekera pegged at a 1-2 year deal at 2 million-ish. 2.3 is probably in the ball park.

I don't see Weber, with 81 games NHL experience, getting a dime over 750k.

The guy has been on a AHL contract most of the last 4 years. Give him a 1 year, 700-750k one way deal. 1.3 is outrageous for a guy who hasn't proven he can stick in the NHL yet.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:18 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
So I guess you didn't have Drew Stafford pegged for 4 million?

There's a difference between what you think someone should be paid, and what the market actually bears.
No, I didn't. I figured him in the $3.5M range.

I'm well aware that the market is what dictates the contract. As I've said about 10 times in this thread, I'm simply giving my opinion on what I think he'll get. I may very well be wrong. If I am, feel free to follow me around for an entire year telling everyone I was wrong if that's what gets you off.