HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oh sure, but Hockey is barbaric because of fighting...

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Oilers Ent

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Oh sure, but Hockey is barbaric because of fighting...

The Yanks and Red Sox are at it again...

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/28014.htm

And, Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with it. Sometimes things like this in sports is a good thing. Like the writer said - it invokes passion out of the players afterward.

(Let's not forget the Bertuzzi incident is a one time error of monsterous proportions that would be the equivalent of a baseball player hitting another in the head with a bat at full force. To my knowledge that has never happened.)

Old
07-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Lowetide

I saw that game (I watch about 3 games a year now since baseball has lost its competitive balance) and have to say that the BoSox catcher is their best player no matter what he does on the field. A-Rod was mouthing to the Red Sox lollipop righty a few "F-bombs" and the catcher got in there and stood up for his guy. I think it's Varitek.

Anyway, the Yankees swagger intimidates the Red Sox and the catcher is having none of it. I love that guy.

Old
07-25-2004, 12:46 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
(Let's not forget the Bertuzzi incident is a one time error of monsterous proportions that would be the equivalent of a baseball player hitting another in the head with a bat at full force. To my knowledge that has never happened.)
While I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, I have to take issue with this. The effect of hitting somebody in the head with a bat at full force (particularly when you have the swing a major league player has) is almost certain to end a career, if not outright death.

As vicious as Bert's attack was, if he'd been intending to really really injure Moore, he would have used his stick first. The ball equivalent of Bertuzzi's attack would be pretty simple; one guy jumping on another from behind and punching him. Think 2001: A Space Odyssey - those primitive cavemen could hurt each other just thumping, but once one of them picked up a bone to smash with, it was a whole new... er, ballgame.

Old
07-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
While I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, I have to take issue with this. The effect of hitting somebody in the head with a bat at full force (particularly when you have the swing a major league player has) is almost certain to end a career, if not outright death.

As vicious as Bert's attack was, if he'd been intending to really really injure Moore, he would have used his stick first. The ball equivalent of Bertuzzi's attack would be pretty simple; one guy jumping on another from behind and punching him. Think 2001: A Space Odyssey - those primitive cavemen could hurt each other just thumping, but once one of them picked up a bone to smash with, it was a whole new... er, ballgame.
Fair enough. Nonetheless, someone pounding a person in the back of the head and then falling on grass will never have the same effect as gliding with skates, punching a person with a gloved hand and slamming head first on ice.

Slamming a person in the head with a bat is definitely farther then the latter still.

Old
07-25-2004, 04:57 PM
boxall9

Quote:
The Yanks and Red Sox are at it again...

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/28014.htm

And, Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with it. Sometimes things like this in sports is a good thing. Like the writer said - it invokes passion out of the players afterward.

I think the Bertuzzi thing was terrible and hope it never happens again, but I also can't stand how the anti-hockey people will hold it against the sport. If the cops want to investigate it as an assault, so be it, my question is how is hitting a guy in the head with a 100+mph fastball not an assault? Why is hockey always the brutally violent sport? Bench clearing brawls and throwing at peoples heads are common in baseball, when will some of those guys get charged?

Old
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
the equivalent of a baseball player hitting another in the head with a bat at full force. To my knowledge that has never happened.)
Yeah, it has happened and charges were laid but I don't remember the specifics of it. I just saw a comment about it in an article about pro athletes being charged with assault.

Closed Thread