HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Sheppard & Barker - What will become of them?

Old
06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Sheppard & Barker - What will become of them?

I know there has been talk of this throughout several threads but I kind of wanted to rope it in to one thread to see what you guys think is the best coarse of action with them...

Barker - Is he worth getting a second chance? I mean this guy was drafted #3overall so the potential was there. Is he really a lost cause already? I know his Agent is begging the Wild to give him another shot to prove his worth. Should we give him another shot to be impact defender he was drafted to be or has his ship sailed?

Sheppard - Now here's an interesting case... Luckily we can sign him to a 2-way contract which is a HUGE plus but will this kid every be the player we hoped he'd be or is he also a lost cause at this point? Ideally I'd like to see him flipped in a Latendresse type trade but he may have killed his chances at that even.. After he hurt himself on the ATV I havent heard much regarding where he's at now or what his intentions are. Do we think he's matured enough to be a center we could rely on as a 3rd or 4th liner? Or his this kid a career AHL'er now...?

What do you guys think is best for the Wild to do with these players?

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think Barker and Sheppard will both manage to play in the NHL for a while. They're being judged much more harshly because of their draft position. They look so incredibly terrible because of the expectations people had of them.

I don't know if either has much of a chance with the Wild though. Sheppard could make a play at that 4th line center spot this year still, but I don't see where he fits into the plan otherwise. There's just no room for Barker on this team though. While I suggested possibly not buying him out and eating the last year of his contract, we don't have room for another third pairing defender. I have no doubt that some other team will scoop him up when he's let go, but like the Noreau trade to NJ, the Wild don't have room to give him another shot.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Dr Jan Itor

If Barker is going to show ANYTHING it should be this year (contract year). I'm not a fan of buying him out.

Sheppard... I have no idea what happened to him 2 years ago, but if you look, he was actually progressing OK in his first 2 years, even being so young and rushed. I'd like to give him a look on the 4th line (or hopefully in Houston) for the early part of the year. Not ready to give up on one of our 1st rounders yet.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

They'll either prove us all wrong or continue to be ongoing jokes.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:22 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Sheppard will end up on the waiver wire...maybe he clears and plays in Houston.

Barker is too slow and has no hockey sense...it's easy to see why he's a failure. Buying him out is the right move.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If Barker is going to show ANYTHING it should be this year (contract year). I'm not a fan of buying him out.

Sheppard... I have no idea what happened to him 2 years ago, but if you look, he was actually progressing OK in his first 2 years, even being so young and rushed. I'd like to give him a look on the 4th line (or hopefully in Houston) for the early part of the year. Not ready to give up on one of our 1st rounders yet.
I pretty much feel the exact same way... I still haven't lost faith in these 2 like I have some others...

Barker I'm a little more skeptical of than Sheppard but I wouldn;t mind giving Barker a shot in a contract year.. Maybe if he does play his heart out he would be nice trade bait at the deadline? (the more I think about it, thats probably a pipe dream. haha)

As for Sheppard, I don't know what it is but I just keep feeling like he has the potential to turn the corner and be something impressive. He's got the toools but he just doesn't know how to use them.. I'm really glad that he can be put on a 2 way contract this year but I would absolutely love if he could step up his game enough to be our 3rd or 4th line center for a season or 2. I just keep thinking that he'll have a breakout season but I know that's doubtful...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post

That's how I feel about Barker as well. Given the lack of depth, fact the Wild don't need the cap space for this year and low-risk, they might as well give it a shot.

EDIT: Dan and I went back and forth on Barker's future last week.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My guess is Barker is bought out and will probably sign a 2-way deal with some other team (Florida?). Sheppard will probably sign a 1-year 2-way deal with Minnesota to try and win the 4th line center spot in camp.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
nickschultzfan

Barker is standing in the way of better players, whether prospects of a UFA Dman. He will be gone.

For the time being, Sheppard is not standing in anybody's way, because he'll either be the 4th line center, in the pressbox, or in Houston. He'll stick around for another few seasons until he gets pushed out.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Shimoe

Great article on Barker at Hockeywilderness.com. I won't bother with trying to highlight it but I think is sums it up very well.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011...des-cam-barker

I thought their "Final Thought" were interesting:

"When Wild fans start a Twitter meme entitled "What Cam Barker Thinks About," you know there is an issue. When the media constantly brings up a lack of emotion, to the point that everyone is shocked when the robot throws a punch, you know there is an issue. When we are constantly bombarded with "I wish Nick Leddy would come back" comments, you KNOW there is an issue.

Yes, Chuck Fletcher pretty much screwed the pooch on this one. We're still a long way from racking up a string of failures like the previous regime, but this was a pretty good one. Kim Johnson, and a former first round pick for a guy with a total of 12 points in 71 games for the Wild. The best part? He is a RFA after next season, so you're stuck with him for awhile"

As for Shep, well they did a bit of grading on the young man.

Nathan: F

*$%@ James Sheppard

Buddha: F- To be truthful, an F- doesn't seem fair. I only wish there were a lower grade to give. Alas, in the system we are using, it is what it is. Sheppard is the posterboy for the embarrassment of the previous regime. He was thrust into a position he was not ready for, and forced to continue to play through it. He is not an NHL level player, not even on a fourth line for the worst team in the league. He will be qualified, to be sure. However, he has proven he just simply does not have it in him. Shep needs to be given his walking papers or Fletcher needs to work his magic and trade him to some new scenery. By the way, I could write an entire post about Sheppard, which may happen later. For now, I need to stay brief.

JS: D+ What a horrible year he had. Even people who didn't see him play can plainly see he had a horrible year compared to his other years. He did draw a lot of penalties, which is good, but for a guy we expected around 35-40 points from at the very least, he bombed. Should've lost his spot a loooong time ago.

I really think that Shep could work his way back into a line up ... Just not here. Barker has shown NOTHING. Yes expectations were high and rightfully so with 3.1 million dollar contract.

I wish both of the players well and I hope they can find a spark to jump start their careers. But they won't find that spark in Minnesota

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimoe View Post
Great article on Barker at Hockeywilderness.com. I won't bother with trying to highlight it but I think is sums it up very well.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011...des-cam-barker

I thought their "Final Thought" were interesting:

"When Wild fans start a Twitter meme entitled "What Cam Barker Thinks About," you know there is an issue. When the media constantly brings up a lack of emotion, to the point that everyone is shocked when the robot throws a punch, you know there is an issue. When we are constantly bombarded with "I wish Nick Leddy would come back" comments, you KNOW there is an issue.

Yes, Chuck Fletcher pretty much screwed the pooch on this one. We're still a long way from racking up a string of failures like the previous regime, but this was a pretty good one. Kim Johnson, and a former first round pick for a guy with a total of 12 points in 71 games for the Wild. The best part? He is a RFA after next season, so you're stuck with him for awhile"

As for Shep, well they did a bit of grading on the young man.

Nathan: F

*$%@ James Sheppard

Buddha: F- To be truthful, an F- doesn't seem fair. I only wish there were a lower grade to give. Alas, in the system we are using, it is what it is. Sheppard is the posterboy for the embarrassment of the previous regime. He was thrust into a position he was not ready for, and forced to continue to play through it. He is not an NHL level player, not even on a fourth line for the worst team in the league. He will be qualified, to be sure. However, he has proven he just simply does not have it in him. Shep needs to be given his walking papers or Fletcher needs to work his magic and trade him to some new scenery. By the way, I could write an entire post about Sheppard, which may happen later. For now, I need to stay brief.

JS: D+ What a horrible year he had. Even people who didn't see him play can plainly see he had a horrible year compared to his other years. He did draw a lot of penalties, which is good, but for a guy we expected around 35-40 points from at the very least, he bombed. Should've lost his spot a loooong time ago.

I really think that Shep could work his way back into a line up ... Just not here. Barker has shown NOTHING. Yes expectations were high and rightfully so with 3.1 million dollar contract.

I wish both of the players well and I hope they can find a spark to jump start their careers. But they won't find that spark in Minnesota
Heheh go us.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Shimoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Heheh go us.
Haha, love your work

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM
BLBarmada

Bring em both back, we got time.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:34 PM
DW

Didn't Russo post/tweet that Shepherd can be qualified and then be sent to Houston because he only played so many games on the NHL roster the last few seasons. Nothing wrong with him going to Houston for a season to get his s**t together.

Barker needs a miracle to not get bought out imo.

DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Bring em both back, we got time.
Not both.

Sheppard will come back but hopefully not Barker.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
Didn't Russo post/tweet that Shepherd can be qualified and then be sent to Houston because he only played so many games on the NHL roster the last few seasons. Nothing wrong with him going to Houston for a season to get his s**t together.

The Wild can give Shep a two way contract...he's still waiver eligible, so would have to be waived to be sent to Houston, but if he were to clear, he doesn't make an NHL salary as he would've before.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post

Yes, he can be placed on a two-way contract due to not playing a certain amount of games over the last three years. It's essentially the only thing which is saving Sheppard's Wild career because it's hard to see Fletcher sign a guy who has done nothing in two years yet has to clear waivers to go to Houston.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I want to see Shep sent down to Houston for a year or two to actually develop a little bit. No pressure down there, and he could stand to actually learn a thing or two.

Barker....eh...he showed signs of life after we played at Chicago at one point, and then he got injured. It really depends on what kind of begging he and his agent are doing, but my gut tells me he either gets traded to a team that needs to make cap or he gets bought out.

OT, but I hope O'Sullivan gets brought back on a two way deal once he becomes a free agent. His usefulness in houston is undeniable, and who knows, maybe one day he's ready for the big show. Him and Sheppard can be buddies.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:40 AM
BLBarmada

Barker too.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote