HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darroll Powe to Minnesota for '13 3rd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  #76
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,232
vCash: 500
Hate it. Way too much to pay for a grinder, and it's for "win-now" again. Powe is the type of player you acquire through means other than mid-level draft picks. Goes totally against building through the draft. Such a bipolar organization.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  #77
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Well, Russo was right about bringing in a depth forward via trade. Flahr and co. seem pretty high on Powe. Much like they were high on Nystrom last year. Hopefully this one works out better.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
  #78
BuddyMcCormick
Registered User
 
BuddyMcCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Hate it. Way too much to pay for a grinder, and it's for "win-now" again. Powe is the type of player you acquire through means other than mid-level draft picks. Goes totally against building through the draft. Such a bipolar organization.
/facepalm.
We gave up a 3rd rounder 2 years from now. Do you know how often 3rd rounders even make it to the NHL? 12% so hypothetically in 9 years of drafting 1, ONE, of our third rounders would make it to the NHL. Powe is already there. The value is fair.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:24 PM
  #79
Cinerary
The Inexorable
 
Cinerary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
This is basically what we get...

Eh, that one's a bit unfair, because it never shows the better camera angles.



He does throw some borderline hits as well, but Wild fans should be pleased with him. He's also a Princeton grad.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
  #80
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,346
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Powe is a solid player. Most hits on the Flyers last season. Probably the fastest guy on the team. Second most PK time. He's not going to win the Hart Trophy any time soon, but he's a solid player. I was about to go buy a Powe jersey after Richards was traded. Glad I held off...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:33 PM
  #81
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,993
vCash: 50
you're seriously lacking something mentally if you can't figure out that this makes total sense. character guy. defensive. physically aggressive. cheap. center or wing. Walz says he can fly.

our coach loves this type of attitude/player. the GM loves it. the odds are against the third we traded for him to be at the level he is now.

I just don't see how anyone can be upset about this.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
  #82
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Hate it. Way too much to pay for a grinder, and it's for "win-now" again. Powe is the type of player you acquire through means other than mid-level draft picks. Goes totally against building through the draft. Such a bipolar organization.
Knew you would. Draft picks are so much more fun than NHL players.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
  #83
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
I'm going to miss Powe a hell of a lot, he's one of my favorites. He's very fast, loves to hit, and is great on the Pk. He may have stones for hands, but he's a great player

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
  #84
BuddyMcCormick
Registered User
 
BuddyMcCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Knew you would. Draft picks are so much more fun than NHL players.
Especially third rounders. It's like wondering if the one-legged man is going to finish the race. So much drama!

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
  #85
WildisLaw
Just win, baby
 
WildisLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Napa Valley, Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,553
vCash: 500
love this trade. Powe will be epic on a line with Buck. 3rd isn't a big deal, he has time to get it back. Also Russo says Wild have other trades cooking.....

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
  #86
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
you're seriously lacking something mentally if you can't figure out that this makes total sense. character guy. defensive. physically aggressive. cheap. center or wing. Walz says he can fly.

our coach loves this type of attitude/player. the GM loves it. the odds are against the third we traded for him to be at the level he is now.

I just don't see how anyone can be upset about this.
Not against this trade per se but really thought one of the Houston guys was going to get that promotion. However, I will be upset if he signs for one year and walks. Ideally, a two-three year deal is probably right since he is already 26.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 06:57 PM
  #87
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,006
vCash: 728
Fletcher has also shown a knack for parlaying lower round picks into higher round picks (see Zucker and Lucia). Not too worried, because to date it looks like they make good use of higher level picks.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:01 PM
  #88
Wild33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Good depth move. People always forget in June/July that there are injuries and when there are injuries, Powe will be versatile enough to play wing and center. So through the injuries would you rather have a Powe or a Ortmeyer/McMillan/Earl/Peters callup? Once again last year when the injuries happened we didn't have the depth to keep up and competition within is great. This also might mean Staubitz won't dress up to 70 games like last year but we'll see. Liking our this roster is panning out as both our top 6 and bottom 6 of forwards are better than last year. Now we just need to find a defensemen to eat up some big minutes.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:01 PM
  #89
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
/facepalm.
We gave up a 3rd rounder 2 years from now. Do you know how often 3rd rounders even make it to the NHL? 12% so hypothetically in 9 years of drafting 1, ONE, of our third rounders would make it to the NHL. Powe is already there. The value is fair.


No one on this Wild forum has talked more than I have about how low the percentages are once you get near the end of the 2nd-round. However, when you have a choice of snagging a potentially better 4th-liner though free agency (or just using your own development) and retaining your 3rd-rounder versus just snagging the 4th-liner, the choice is clear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Especially third rounders. It's like wondering if the one-legged man is going to finish the race. So much drama!
I know, It sucks to draft superior players like Clutterbuck and Veilleux and good prospects like Stoner and Hackett while leaving the job of 4th-line grinder pickups to free agency. *End of sarcasm*

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
  #90
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
Not against this trade per se but really thought one of the Houston guys was going to get that promotion. However, I will be upset if he signs for one year and walks. Ideally, a two-three year deal is probably right since he is already 26.
i'm not saying no one has a right to be against the trade--just that if they don't understand why this player was picked up they really don't understand what Fletcher is trying to do.

Despite the Burns trade and a heavy focus on a couple years down the line we aren't in a position to just fill up the bottom lines with untested kids from houston--it might be good for their development but most likely it will hurt the teams chances of succeeding this year--we aren't rebuilding; these aren't throw away "training years" for our AHL guys.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:06 PM
  #91
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'm not saying no one has a right to be against the trade--just that if they don't understand why this player was picked up they really don't understand what Fletcher is trying to do.

Despite the Burns trade and a heavy focus on a couple years down the line we aren't in a position to just fill up the bottom lines with untested kids from houston--it might be good for their development but most likely it will hurt the teams chances of succeeding this year--we aren't rebuilding; these aren't throw away "training years" for our AHL guys.
I agree with you and I think what he'll bring to the team is very important. We need to get faster and more physical and Powe seems to be that guy. My only qualm with the trade was if he really didn't want to be here and took a one year deal to leave right away. No worries, I usually agree with you on here, rynryn.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
  #92
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
Not against this trade per se but really thought one of the Houston guys was going to get that promotion. However, I will be upset if he signs for one year and walks. Ideally, a two-three year deal is probably right since he is already 26.
I wouldn't mind seeing a 0.9 or 1 mil a year for 3 years depending on what he does this year. I don't see him putting up Clutterbuck type numbers even though they play a similar game in terms of hitting anyway.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
  #93
BuddyMcCormick
Registered User
 
BuddyMcCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post


No one on this Wild forum has talked more than I have about how low the percentages are once you get near the end of the 2nd-round. However, when you have a choice of snagging a potentially better 4th-liner though free agency (or just using your own development) and retaining your 3rd-rounder versus just snagging the 4th-liner, the choice is clear.



I know, It sucks to draft superior players like Clutterbuck and Veilleux and good prospects like Stoner and Hackett while leaving the job of 4th-line grinder pickups to free agency. *End of sarcasm*
You lost me there. To be fair, he plays a similar game to that of Clutterbuck. So Superior player = Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck ~ Powe. Powe =\= Superior player?

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
  #94
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
I agree with you and I think what he'll bring to the team is very important. We need to get faster and more physical and Powe seems to be that guy. My only qualm with the trade was if he really didn't want to be here and took a one year deal to leave right away. No worries, I usually agree with you on here, rynryn.
Provided he signs a reasonable deal, I like this trade. Had the third been in next year's draft, I'd be more upset since we're already down a second. A Powe-Cullen-Clutterbuck third line sounds pretty imposing. If Powe really is as versatile as others have been claiming, it's a great depth move as well. If Yeo's as good as people have been claiming, a solid line like that could be a great tool for keeping the Wild competitive.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:16 PM
  #95
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,232
vCash: 500
And for the second year in a row this indicates that the Houston to Minnesota pipeline is essentially closed to start the season. Barring early injuries or more trades there's basically one opening day lineup spot for Gillies, Wellman, Almond, and Sheppard. So much for a "youth movement" or developing your own guys.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
  #96
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
And for the second year in a row this indicates that the Houston to Minnesota pipeline is essentially closed to start the season. Barring early injuries or more trades there's basically one opening day lineup spot for Gillies, Wellman, Almond, and Sheppard. So much for a "youth movement" or developing your own guys.
You can't develop guys in the AHL? I think this actually shows a commitment to their development.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
  #97
BuddyMcCormick
Registered User
 
BuddyMcCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
And for the second year in a row this indicates that the Houston to Minnesota pipeline is essentially closed to start the season. Barring early injuries or more trades there's basically one opening day lineup spot for Gillies, Wellman, Almond, and Sheppard. So much for a "youth movement" or developing your own guys.
You are so short sighted it's ridiculous. Our young guys can't develop in Houston? Basically what this move is doing is allowing guys that we want to have more top line minutes down in Houston play more top line minutes and hone their game with more ice time. Rather than playing 4th line minutes up here and catching James Sheppard syndrome. Chuck Fletcher has been quoted saying that he absolutely does NOT want to rush players into the NHL. What's the worst thing that happens a kid plays well in Houston and gets a called up and we send somebody down? Oh no. The world is ending.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:26 PM
  #98
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Truculence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
  #99
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,846
vCash: 500
The fact that a team which has been in the top-three for man games lost over the last two seasons has options rather than just give spots away feels much better.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
  #100
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Probably the wrong thread for it...

But had a txt conversation with the friend in Chicago that...

"Knows a guy, that knows a guy..."

yeah, one of those things... He's basically the CIO of a Chicago bank that also does financial planning for sports agents.

I feel worse than Ecklund when I post what he txts me...

Essentially, he said that the "Wild aren't done trading. Expect another big name gone."

Now, he did call the Havlat signing, but he did get the Barker for Johnsson+Leddy trade. He said it was Zidlicky for Barker...

Oh, and I need to remind myself to look up Philly's number of contracts now. Without Powe and Carcillo, I think they can sign two out of the four they need to sign...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.