HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Darroll Powe to Minnesota for '13 3rd

Old
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
But we don't want to "win now", so actually, the move is brilliant!

Box.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
No, including what Boston did with the 2nd is irrelevant. It doesn't mean a thing. It's not that difficult. If we had traded Kobasew back for a second rounder, now we have "replaced" that pick (except for what year it is and where it will be in that round). But of course that didn't happen. Saying the Belanger trade "replaces" the Kobasew 2nd is wrong because that took the loss of Belanger as an asset. Now the loss of Belanger as a tradeable asset would need to be "replaced" and so on and so on. So saying you can "replace" the pick is lying to your own mind to justify what you did if things go wrong.
You seem to be deliberately mentioning Kobasew, but completely ignoring Brodziak. Kyle Bigos and Olivier Roy for Kyle Brodziak and Darcy Kuemper.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Should be 3 seconds instead of 2 lost and should be 2 thirds instead of 3 lost.

Well that and the intentional omission of the roster players gained by those trades (Brodziak and Staubitz) that are still with the team.
I got a 2nd-rounder lost in the Kobasew deal and Burns deal for a total of two. That should be it for Fletcher's moves. The 2009 and prior 2nd-round moves were courtesy of the old regime. And I have 3rd-rounders lost in the 2010 draft trade up (Zucker), 2011 draft trade up (Lucia), and the Powe deal. I can't think of another.

I kinda doubt Brodziak and Staubitz are intentional omissions when I have them listed on the NHL talent gained sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
We spent Calvin de Haan to grab Nick Leddy, Matt Hackett, and Eric Haula. The later Barker mistake notwithstanding, who "won" that trade?
Thanks to apparently good drafting, we have the big lead in that one. I was a little disappointed in the return in that trade, but I still was in big favor of moving down. It's a good example of why more picks works.

Last edited by State of Hockey: 06-27-2011 at 11:52 PM.
State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Again, who the hell knows what the state of this organization is going to be like in 2016-2017, which is probably when that third rounder if ever makes it to the NHL.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
No, including what Boston did with the 2nd is irrelevant. It doesn't mean a thing. It's not that difficult. If we had traded Kobasew back for a second rounder, now we have "replaced" that pick (except for what year it is and where it will be in that round). But of course that didn't happen. Saying the Belanger trade "replaces" the Kobasew 2nd is wrong because that took the loss of Belanger as an asset. Now the loss of Belanger as a tradeable asset would need to be "replaced" and so on and so on. So saying you can "replace" the pick is lying to your own mind to justify what you did if things go wrong. There's nothing wrong with the GM admitting that he won't likely ever get it back. It's part of the deal.
Okay, I get what your saying but Belanger was added as a free agent, that means that the wild are simply plus one second round asset in the act of acquiring Belanger since we didn't use a pick at all to get him.

With Kobasew we acquired him via a pick +. So we are down one pick + a prospect on the kobasew front plus the pick that we didn't get back trading him at the deadline.

From what i understand, your saying that kobasew and belanger trades are completely different events, which they are. But what you are also saying is that because we traded Kobasew and then he walked as a free agent we are down for two reasons: one is the initial pick lost via trade, and the other is the pick lost by failing to trade him. So essentially the one pick gained by trading belanger doesn't compensate for the picks lost acquiring kobasew and then failing to trade kobasew. But what you fail to add into this equation is that Belanger was added for free and that if we never acquired kobasew we never would have had the opportunity to gain a pick by his departure.

Last edited by Casper: 06-28-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
BLBarmada

That's a complicated statement, IMO I dont think Kobasew could have fetched much more then a 4th, Bruno and Mittens could of fetched 2 and 3rds.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Honestly if you don't have the intelligence to realize that Fletcher IS building up the prospects through draft picks or are just so belligerent that you feel the need to argue about a 3rd round pick two years from now, I just can't handle reading it anymore. It's nonsensical.

/ignore

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Most good teams don't rely on a single method to develop their teams - trades are as important as the draft, as Boston showed. If you can add a piece you want, and it takes a draft pick to do it, you do it.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
BLBarmada

Boston also had a team that was fast, aggressive and that busted their ass backchecking and along the boards.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Kari Takko

All this talk about the wild giving up draft picks and no one mentions the college fa signings?

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Boston also had a team that was fast, aggressive and that busted their ass backchecking and along the boards.
Which is what Powe will help the Wild with...

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
The way 4th rounders are being thrown around for Ehrhoff's rights, it should make those annoyed by this trade like it more.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

gooch + powe = more speed...helps that gooch brings scoring and hitting to the table and that powe hits a lot and can be counted on defensively on top of the luxury of just getting speedier as a team. Gillies up here will add more of that too.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:13 PM
nickschultzfan

At a very minimum:

Latendresse is an improvement as a top-6 LW over Brunette.

Setoguchi is an improvement as Koivu's shooter over Miettinen.

Powe is an improvement in the bottom-6 role over Kobasew.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Powe is an improvement in the bottom-6 role over Kobasew.
I can't believe I have to defend Kobasew but Kobasew at least could score a few goals. Powe can't.

Powe is the replacement for Madden (and possibly a downgrade)

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I can't believe I have to defend Kobasew but Kobasew at least could score a few goals. Powe can't.

...and Kobasew made 3-4X what Powe will.

Why is Powe a replacement for Madden? Is Gillies the replacement for Kobasew? Who's going to replace Robbie Earl's 6 games? OMG! I don't want Fletch to replace these guys, because these guys didn't make the playoffs, and what's worse... they gave up down the stretch.

Gimme some young guys who are hungry to prove themselves. I have tolerance for not making the playoffs, but I don't tolerate a lack of effort.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:29 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post

I'm actually going to agree with NickSchultzFan. He wrote Powe will be better than Kobasew in the bottom six "role". We know Powe is quicker and hits a lot more than Kobasew (apparently, Powe is a useful penalty killer too) which means he is more suited for a bottom six role. I wanted Kobasew to do well here (I remember being excited when we traded for him.) but his injuries really hampered his tenure here. So while we have to take a wait and see approach with how well Powe does, as long as he is quick, physical, and kills penalties efficiently, he will be more useful than Kobasew.

**EDIT: Just noticed their point totals, Powe had one more point in 18 more games.**

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Powe will get more PIM than Kobasew though.

It's a fact that we should deal with it..

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:21 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

Last season:
Powe - 41 PIM in 81 games ~0.5 PIM/GP
Kobasew - 19 PIM in 61 games ~0.3 PIM/GP

I hardly think that 1 more minor penalty per 10 games should be looked at as a problem.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:32 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

wouldn't that be ironic.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
#mnwild signs Darroll Powe to 3-year, $3.2 million deal; He could have filed for arb today; buys out 2 years of his UFA status
http://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/sta...01313720467457

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote