HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Stamkos News - What's going on with Stamkos?

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
ACC1224

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
Well he better work it out soon cause the vultures are circling!

If he has so many different options than why isn't the deal done already? you would think he wouldn't let it go this late no?
Don't know. Like I said no one here is privy to the inner working of the Bolts.

IMO, there is no way they just let him go for draft picks. Compensation for players will be worked out if he is to leave.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I think he does. He's very young, and was the #1 C for a playoff team NYR last year.

While he's not the IDEAL solution he certainly would be a good solution to the problem short term.

Longterm he has the tools to play as a #2 C or lower and be elite in those spots.

I would not be surprised to see him breakout like Ryan Kesler... I'm not joking either.
Well you think a lot higher of him than I do and maybe Sather as well cause if they have a Kesler there would be no need for a Richards.

He's a good player but if the asking price is a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd I would definitely pass.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
Well you think a lot higher of him than I do and maybe Sather as well cause if they have a Kesler there would be no need for a Richards.

He's a good player but if the asking price is a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd I would definitely pass.
I think it would be a 1st and a 3rd.

I would offer him the max $$ for that compensation which is 4.52.

Unlikely Sather is able to match if he pays out the *** for Richards. Of course there is also the possibility of acquiring him through a trade. I just think its an option to be explored.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:05 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

I don't get it; some people think we should pay Richards 7M+ but think 8-10M per year for stamkos is crazy.....?

Honestly, I see no problem what-so-ever in throwing 90M over 10years his way. He's mentioned amoungst the top3 players in the league but just about everyone.

If the opportunity for a young, proven, 50g scoring No1 C presents itself and you can get him by not giving up anything from your young roster, that's gold.

I certainly hope the opportunity will present itself. This is a franchise player. Why shouldn't we go for it?

Old
06-28-2011, 10:09 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
If we gave up four 1sts for Stamkos, worst case scenario those picks turn into these players:

- Schenn
- Kadri
- Seguin
- Hamilton

But with Stamkos in the new and improved Leafs lineup, this is highly unlikely. I make that deal with no hesitation.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I don't get it; some people think we should pay Richards 7M+ but think 8-10M per year for stamkos is crazy.....?

Honestly, I see no problem what-so-ever in throwing 90M over 10years his way. He's mentioned amoungst the top3 players in the league but just about everyone.

If the opportunity for a young, proven, 50g scoring No1 C presents itself and you can get him by not giving up anything from your young roster, that's gold.

I certainly hope the opportunity will present itself. This is a franchise player. Why shouldn't we go for it?
absolfrigginlutely! I'm 100% on board with bringing Stamkos HOME!!!

Old
06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
If we gave up four 1sts for Stamkos, worst case scenario those picks turn into these players:

- Schenn
- Kadri
- Seguin
- Hamilton

But with Stamkos in the new and improved Leafs lineup, this is highly unlikely. I make that deal with no hesitation.
Me Too.

We are a playoff team with Stamkos, no bones about it.

Those picks will all be 16+.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:

I think the difference is in the assets used to acquire them is the key there.

Acquiring Brad Richards costs you 10 minutes of international long distance. Stamkos costs you, at least, your next 4 1st round picks.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post

- Schenn
- Kadri
- Seguin
- Hamilton

Agreed. I'd even throw them a bone and give them Lebda.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:12 AM
edwardslane

Quote:

I agree we gave up 1 st rounders for a great complimentary player so why not 4 for a franchise players that's top 5 in the league without a doubt. and only going to get better as he gets older.

Stamkos, Kessel, Kulemin, Schenn, Aulie, Phaneuf, Reimer is such a great sound core!! We're only adding stamkos to what we currently have but still! Then if any of Kadri and colburne, gardiner, frattin, Mckegg, Biggs develope into solid NHLers we're golden for the next decade++

Old
06-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post

Acquiring Brad Richards costs you 10 minutes of international long distance. Stamkos costs you, at least, your next 4 1st round picks.
One guy is 31 and the other is 21.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Burke better do whatever it takes money wise to get Stamkos if he is a RFA July 1. I will not accept any contract or money excuses. Give this guy a blank cheque. This is where the money resources should kick in and this is why people talk about the pension fund should Burke not feel that it's wise to offer a max contract.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post
I agree we gave up 1 st rounders for a great complimentary player so why not 4 for a franchise players that's top 5 in the league without a doubt. and only going to get better as he gets older.

Stamkos, Kessel, Kulemin, Schenn, Aulie, Phaneuf, Reimer is such a great sound core!! We're only adding stamkos to what we currently have but still! Then if any of Kadri and colburne, gardiner, frattin, Mckegg, Biggs develope into solid NHLers we're golden for the next decade++
Lets not forget that if you go by the mantra "the team that gets the best player wins the trade" then we win from day 1.

Seriously there will be no player in the next 4 years as good as Stamkos. And even if there was we would have to finish dead last. This trade is a W from the beginning.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post

Ya but in this case, the bird in hand is WAY better than the 4 birds in the bushes.

We already have skilled youthful pieces in our organization so losing the first rounders won't completely hamper our future.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Lets not forget that if you go by the mantra "the team that gets the best player wins the trade" then we win from day 1.

Seriously there will be no player in the next 4 years as good as Stamkos. And even if there was we would have to finish dead last. This trade is a W from the beginning.
you could draft 10 times in the top ten and still not end up with a guy like Stammer.

I hope Burke isn't dumb.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:

Old
06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
He'll be gone long before Tampa picks! but yes he is a freaking game breaker!

Old
06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Greg McKegg

I know this is hypothetical but this scenario does some what make sense for Tampa if they can't come to a deal with Stamkos:

Lecavalier [31]; St. Louis[36]; Malone[32]; Brewer[32]
----
Stamkos[21]; Hedman[21]

Tampa's Core is very lopsided in age; if they were to let Stamkos go for 4 1sts and pick up Richards instead; would they be losing "that much"?
Stamkos is obviously a franchise player, but Tampa Bay would still be a strong contender with Richards in replace of Stamkos and would have at least 2 picks in the first rounds for the next four years to restock the cupboard once the slew of aging forwards leave their prime.

Old
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Yakupov: 2010-11 Sarnia Sting OHL 65 49 52 101

Stamkos: 2007-08 Sarnia Sting OHL 61 58 47 105

Not to mention the fact he's scored the most goals in the NHL over the past 2 years. Back to back 45+ goal seasons by the age of 20.

We'd also have to finish dead last. Which we would not do with or without Stamkos.

I rest my case.

Old
Schennanigans

If they are unable to sign him which is very unlikely, but if they cant they will go the trade route. Their not going to let a talent like him go unless they get immediate help. From us they'd probably ask for something like Kessel, Schenn, Kadri, 2012 1st.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Lupul-Stamkos-Kessel
Kulie-Grao-MacA
Kadri-Boazk-Army
Brown-(Brent/UFA)-(Orr/UFA)

Aulie-Phaneuf
Gunnar-Schenn
Liles-Komi

Reimer
Gustavsson

That seems like a pretty solid team to me. Two lines of scoring power. I don't think we should be splitting up Stamkos and Kessel. Sure they both like to score; but each can pass (as well as Lupul). I'm sure Kessel would have had many more assists this season if it was Stamkos finishing them off as opposed to Bozak missing open nets. It's worth trying IMO.

I think this would be great for the 2nd line, as the opposition would be utterly foolish to not put their shutdown pairings out against the Lupul-Stamkos-Kessel line. Maybe we'd see KGM line ripping apart 2nd and 3rd pairings?

Old
06-28-2011, 10:22 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
If they are unable to sign him which is very unlikely, but if they cant they will go the trade route. Their not going to let a talent like him go unless they get immediate help. From us they'd probably ask for something like Kessel, Schenn, Kadri, 2012 1st.
If we sign him to an offer sheet TBAY HAS to match. He can't sign an offer sheet and then they trade him. Its do or die for them.

Not to mention the fact that Stamkos is still an RFA wherever he goes and can be offersheeted no matter what.

Whatever team he goes to he would have to be willing to sign there a la Phil Kessel.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Marc - Andre Bergeron signed by the bolts....

Old
bruyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
Please don't tell me you actually believe Burke would give this up for Stamkos.

Old
Superdowney

Quote:

This, this, this. a 100% this,

But it was broken by Kyper at Sportsnet. Those idiots never do anything good.

Closed Thread