HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

All Stamkos News - What's going on with Stamkos?

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 11:26 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
No, Dpyro is right, it's clearly stated in Exhibit 15 of the CBA.

Odd that RFA's are granted that right and not UFA's. I'd like to see the next CBA allow for something similair for UFA's, say a one/two week period where pending UFA's are formally allowed to be aproached by other teams. We all know it goes on through unofficial channels any how, might as well stop fooling ouurselves and just recognize it.
We could have a 2 week negotiating period, followed by a 3 hour show to introduce all the UFA signings in a tidy little package. I'd imagine TSN would pay a pretty penny for that show.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
jughead42

There is no price that Tampa could ask for Stamkos that I would be unwilling to pay. I'd even let Yzerman bone my mom if that was part of the deal.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:28 PM
100angryvikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Burke could be talking to Stamkos and his agent right now...

I wish I could read minds , I am getting excited over a very fractional possibility that we might get Stamkos.
Not to stoke any of that excitement or anything.....but didnt Stamkos say in his draft year he was watching the standings to see where the Leafs were because he wanted to be picked by them?

Maybe he still has dreams of playing for the Leafs? Maybe something that could be in our favor.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
There is no price that Tampa could ask for Stamkos that I would be unwilling to pay. I'd even let Yzerman bone my mom if that was part of the deal.
You're talking about Steve ****ing Yzerman here. He's probably already boned all of our moms.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
You're talking about Steve ****ing Yzerman here. He's probably already boned all of our moms.
Yeah, and if he wants seconds it will cost him Stamkos!

Old
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100angryvikings View Post
Not to stoke any of that excitement or anything.....but didnt Stamkos say in his draft year he was watching the standings to see where the Leafs were because he wanted to be picked by them?

Maybe he still has dreams of playing for the Leafs? Maybe something that could be in our favor.
I doubt that really matters for him anymore now that he's a super star.

I am sure every kid living in Toronto that is a hockey player dreams of being drafted by the Leafs but all that changes pretty quick once you're in the NHL but yes If there was any reason Tampa can't get Stamkos to agree to a contract Leafs would be knocking Tampa's door first.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned by someone else, but wouldn't it be much more enticing for Stevie Y to get NHL talent, or close to NHL talent to put his team in a better position to win? As opposed to a player who won't be ready for maybe 2-4-6 years? If he got 3-4 cheap NHL players who can contribute and Richards on top of it, he'd have a cup contender.

Gardiner
Colborne
Komisarek
Bozak
1st in 2012

Old
06-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
If Tampa had to match that price in qualifiers every year with a 15% raise, wouldn't that eventually surpass the 20% of the salary cap that is allowed for a single player (providing that the cap doesn't increase)?
No, qualifying offers for players making one million or more in the previous season don't need to involve a raise, a qualifying offer would only be 100% of the previous years salary.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

You know what'd be funny? If all the HF leafs fans here got a photoshopped picture of Stamkos with a leafs sweater on and made it their avy.

Just piss off everyone on HF ... and add to our stereotype.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
unstuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I doubt that really matters for him anymore now that he's a super star.

I am sure every kid living in Toronto that is a hockey player dreams of being drafted by the Leafs but all that changes pretty quick once you're in the NHL but yes If there was any reason Tampa can't get Stamkos to agree to a contract Leafs would be knocking Tampa's door first.
it's true, people always love bringing up a player's childhood team (Habs fans never let you forget that Sid grew up cheering for them) but it's never proven true that players want to play for those teams once they are established in the NHL. They may want to live in a city in particular for family reasons, a la Smyth, but not to play for their team. Besides, let's face it, Stamkos grew up dreaming about playing with Mats Sundin and Dougy Gilmour, not Joffrey Lupul.

I just think once you get to know the real organizations and meet the faces and personalities behind the press boxes, your perspective changes. You'll never be that kid looking from the outside in again.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:02 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
You were serious about your Bozak + Gardiner + Colborne + Komisarek + 1st for Steven Stamkos proposal right?

I'm curious.
There, I moved it to the right thread for you.

Am I serious about it? I haven't put enough thought into it to to say it is a serious offer. I don't expect Stamkos to be available. It's not an offer of "fair value" for Stamkos, it is a GM trying to win a Stanley Cup, staring down the barrel of a loaded gun (an offer sheet), and knowing anything he recieves as compensation with an offer sheet will be 2,3,4,5 years away at best, and quite possibly 1 or 2 will never play a role in the NHL, so maybe, just maybe he takes a package of player who will help him sooner. I through Komi in for fun, as I had said "cheap" players.

In general I'm comparing:

Gardiner, Colborne, Bozak and 1st in 2012 to 1st in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperDean View Post
You know what'd be funny? If all the HF leafs fans here got a photoshopped picture of Stamkos with a leafs sweater on and made it their avy.

Its easier too now that they've copied our uniforms...

Old
06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
jvuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
Truth
+1

Old
06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
There, I moved it to the right thread for you.

Am I serious about it? I haven't put enough thought into it to to say it is a serious offer. I don't expect Stamkos to be available. It's not an offer of "fair value" for Stamkos, it is a GM trying to win a Stanley Cup, staring down the barrel of a loaded gun (an offer sheet), and knowing anything he recieves as compensation with an offer sheet will be 2,3,4,5 years away at best, and quite possibly 1 or 2 will never play a role in the NHL, so maybe, just maybe he takes a package of player who will help him sooner. I through Komi in for fun, as I had said "cheap" players.

In general I'm comparing:

Gardiner, Colborne, Bozak and 1st in 2012 to 1st in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.

Tampa is not 'staring down the barrel of a loaded gun'. They will resign him. Imminently. If he gets an offer sheet, they match it. If they don't, some idiotic GM just spent 1/6'th of their cap space on a single player. If they feel like trading one of the best forwards in the game of hockey, I think they will find a better offer with one second of hanging up on GM-dynrehab.

I asked you the question on the Stastny thread because you made a huge deal about a trade proposal, lecturing him on the importance of empathizing with the other team, but on another thread muster up a proposal that is 5 times as embarrassing as the other. For one of the best forwards in the world.

Foot meet mouth.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperDean View Post

That would be very lousy of us, Leaf fans are better then that.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:11 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Tampa is not 'staring down the barrel of a loaded gun'. They will resign him. Imminently.

If he gets an offer sheet, they match it. If they don't, some idiotic GM just spent 1/6'th of their cap space on a single player.

If they feel like trading one of the best forwards in the game of hockey, I think they will find a better offer with one second of hanging up on GM-dynrehab.
Sometimes you take a discussion way too seriously. Lighten up a bit.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:12 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I don't expect Stamkos to be available.
Quote:
They will resign him. Imminently.
Seems we believe the same thing. Want to argue this?

Old
06-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Willie Oree

I can't sleep. I never thought this was even close to possible but then I started thinking, is Tampa Bay really where you want to spend the best years of your hockey career?

They don't have a great fan base, they lose money every year, have very little flexibility in terms of acquiring players, they have a weak ownership group that will never spend to the cap.

If you're Meehan or Guy wouldn't you want your no.1 stud in a real hockey market for his best years to maximize his earning potential? At the very least it would be prudent for them to listen to other offers because they won't want to leave money on the table. I'm sure Tampa is coming with an offer of something like 7.5M, which is what most would say is a good number for 31yr old Richards. Meehan has got to be thinking this is the perfect ****storm, this is a weak FA crop and we have a 21yr old who is WAYYYYY better than Brad that will command a salary much greater than 7.5 on the open market.

If you're Stamkos and grew up a Leaf fan wouldn't you relish the opportunity to play with a good young team, at home, making more money than your current team can realistically afford to pay, in a market where you can fully capitalize on crazy endorsements? Meanwhile being dubbed the franchise saviour? too much not to at least consider at this point in his career I would think.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:19 AM
100angryvikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
I can't sleep. I never thought this was even close to possible but then I started thinking, is Tampa Bay really where you want to spend the best years of your hockey career?

They don't have a great fan base, they lose money every year, have very little flexibility in terms of acquiring players, they have a weak ownership group that will never spend to the cap.

If you're Meehan or Guy wouldn't you want your no.1 stud in a real hockey market for his best years to maximize his earning potential? At the very least it would be prudent for them to listen to other offers because they won't want to leave money on the table. I'm sure Tampa is coming with an offer of something like 7.5M, which is what most would say is a good number for 31yr old Richards. Meehan has got to be thinking this is the perfect ****storm, this is a weak FA crop and we have a 21yr old who is WAYYYYY better than Brad that will command a salary much greater than 7.5 on the open market.

If you're Stamkos and grew up a Leaf fan wouldn't you relish the opportunity to play with a good young team, at home, making more money than your current team can realistically afford to pay, in a market where you can fully capitalize on crazy endorsements? Meanwhile being dubbed the franchise saviour? too much not to at least consider at this point in his career I would think.
Yup, thats the other thing that will have his agent salivating. Not only can a big market team offer a higher contractual payday, the earnings potential in endorsements will be absolutely huge here.

Just another thing playing in our favor if Stamkos and his agent are discussing offersheets...

Old
06-28-2011, 12:23 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100angryvikings View Post
Yup, thats the other thing that will have his agent salivating. Not only can a big market team offer a higher contractual payday, the earnings potential in endorsements will be absolutely huge here.

Just another thing playing in our favor.
Not sure if you noticed but Stamkos is advertised in Canada heavily as it is. I see him every time I sharpen my skates.

He's with Gatorade and Under Armor as well the cover of EA Sports NHL 12...

Old
06-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I just can't see Stamkos in another jersey....JUST yet.

He'll get signed, Doughty gets signed but hey, crazier things have happened.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Willie Oree

Quote:
Not sure if you noticed but Stamkos is advertised in Canada heavily as it is. I see him every time I sharpen my skates.

He's with Gatorade and Under Armor as well.
He'd get more if he were in a hockey market, no question about it. Its all about maximizing your earning potential. The difference between Tampa and Toronto in terms of hockey marketability is almost immeasurable. You have to at least entertain it at this point.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
100angryvikings

Quote:

And you dont think that potential would be greater in a much bigger market?

Old
06-28-2011, 12:31 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
He'd get more if he were in a hockey market, no question about it. Its all about maximizing your earning potential. The difference between Tampa and Toronto in terms of hockey marketability is almost immeasurable. You have to at least entertain it at this point.
My friend's roommate is best friends with Steven. He got a Lambo or Ferrari (i forget which one he said) for free from a dealership as long as he drove it around Tampa. My jaw dropped lol.

I hear ya though it would be better in Toronto for endorsements. I don't remember Sundin selling-out all that much do you?

Old
06-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:

Don't lie to us, you never get skates sharpened.

Closed Thread