HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pyatt, Pouliot, Picard, Boyd, and Dawes NOT tendered qualifying offer

Old
06-27-2011, 11:16 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The first three on that list actually, you know, contribute something to the game of hockey.
Spin it however you like but the reality is that the first three on that list put their team at a disadvantage more often than Pouliot.

Regarding the Bruins, would a PP goal scored against the Bruins while Chara was in the box be worth more or less than if it were Ference or McQuaid in the box.

A penalty is a penalty and a goal is a goal. I can only imagine Claude Julien congratulating Chara or Lucic for a two minute minor and then yelling at McQuaid for taking a minor. About as silly as even Jacques Martin being OK with Gomez taking a minor and benching Pouliot for the same minor. Ooops......wait a minute.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The first three on that list actually, you know, contribute something to the game of hockey.
What's that ? Missing wide open nets ?

Pouliot could at least score, he back checked, he hit, and he fought. Yes, he took dump penalties, but someone on the team has to. At least at times his penalties were from trying to create something rather than his early in the season penalties which were hooking.

Engqvist is possibly the only player I see who can make the NHL. The rest of them suck. If they replace Pyatt with Sjostrom and Pouliot with Stewart. I'll be glad.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:22 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
What a joke. As if pro players need motivation to win a game.

Then again, motivating players and telling a player that if he keeps being so lazy he's gonna be out of this league in no time are 2 very different things.

The former has some merit in sports circles, the latter is basically how people find excuses for bums not succeeding despite them having the ability to do so, but not the attitude.
Your post actually made me laugh out loud.

If that is the case, then let me ask you a question.....

Why are coaches of professional teams fired?

According to your view, all a coach has to do is fill out a lineup sheet and stand by as the game goes on. The GM is responsible for the talent and the coach is a lineup maker.

So....why are coaches of professional teams fired? Every year it happens.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Pouliot not getting an offer is mildly surprising but I thought pyatt was a cheap, and useful 13th forward. That one surprises me more.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

No big surprises here when it comes to who got qualified and who didn't. If anything, the surprise is that Gauthier did what he was supposed to do, and that's realize who fits and who doesn't. The only thing that makes little to no sense is the whole supposed Hamrlik re-signing situation. I still haven't heard it from Gauthier that he will do this (though Hammer's agent said he did), and i sincerely hope its for no more than what an average 4th d-man would get which is in the 2.5-3.5 range. Even then, i don't see why they don't just re-sign the Wiz instead for a million more (4.5-4.7). I'd at least throw that offer at Wiz first and see if he's interested. I don't know, personally we have enough of a veteran presence between Markov, Gill and Spacek on the team. It seems silly to bring back Hammer, too. I really thought Hammer was for sure gone when Gill re-signed and Yemelin signed. It's weird because, like i said earlier, Gauthier seems to make common sense moves. Hamrlik sounds like too much of a loyalty move, and its never smart to manage with your heart. Unless Spacek plans on retiring, Hammer coming back hurts our chances to compete against the cup contenders. And it's nothing against Hammer; it's just a case of how another slow, old guy is not part of the winning formula--it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I'm worried that Gauthier may be too hopeful that Markov will come back stronger than ever and be fairly healthy the next three years. I'd love to see that happen, but you have to cover yourself. The guy is coming off of some seriously bad injuries. Why not sign Wizniewski so you don't have to trade away your future to replace him the next time he goes down. It just seems logical to me that Gauthier should be trying to insulate himself a bit better in this regard, and i don't think bringing back Hammer is doing that. Anyhow, I'll reserve my judgment until he actually re-signs him. Until then, Gauthier is doing a good job in my books.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Your post actually made me laugh out loud.

If that is the case, then let me ask you a question.....

Why are coaches of professional teams fired?

According to your view, all a coach has to do is fill out a lineup sheet and stand by as the game goes on. The GM is responsible for the talent and the coach is a lineup maker.

So....why are coaches of professional teams fired? Every year it happens.
Schemes? Mentality? Ability to communicate? Being able to place players in situations they can excel? Willingness to hold players accountable?

I mean, it's not black and white, but if a player's not willing to work and makes the same blunders over and over, he shouldn't start feeding him minutes and spending half of practice telling him what to do. A lot of these guys have been in the league for a while, they should have a clue as to what to do.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:34 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I liked Pyatt though

Gret p.killer

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Schemes? Mentality? Ability to communicate? Being able to place players in situations they can excel? Willingness to hold players accountable?

I mean, it's not black and white, but if a player's not willing to work and makes the same blunders over and over, he shouldn't start feeding him minutes and spending half of practice telling him what to do. A lot of these guys have been in the league for a while, they should have a clue as to what to do.
Another question.

How much time did you spend on the ice with Pouliot at practice or in the locker room?

Old
06-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I'm so bummed that we didn't qualify Pyatt... I really liked him. He gave it his all every night and was a PK beast. So sad.

As for Pouliot (aka Un Gros Streak), good ****ing riddance. The guy has all the talent in the world but can't seem to pull his head out of his ass. I couldn't care less about the other 3 either.

I hope Gauthier has a plan though... Don't want some random old scrubs filling up those holes.
Am I the only one that actually expects the Habs to sign Pyatt before july 1st for a lower salary than what his QO would have been?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Am I the only one that actually expects the Habs to sign Pyatt before july 1st for a lower salary than what his QO would have been?
I doubt it, i think they're gonna try to fill out the bottom six with UFA's. Not very likely that some other team goes after Pyatt IMO. He might find himself in europe.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Another question.

How much time did you spend on the ice with Pouliot at practice or in the locker room?
None. But you'd have to be incredibly inefficient to make the same mistakes over and over, not to mention being unable to add weight.

And I mean, you can try to make what I write seem as bogus as you want, he didn't even get an offer sheet. The writing's on the wall.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:56 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
None. But you'd have to be incredibly inefficient to make the same mistakes over and over, not to mention being unable to add weight.

And I mean, you can try to make what I write seem as bogus as you want, he didn't even get an offer sheet. The writing's on the wall.
That is my point. No one here knows how hard Pouliot tried or didnt try during practice. No one knows what was said or not said to Pouliot in the locker room by Martin.

All we are privy to is what we see on the ice. We see Pouliot take a penalty and BOOM.......glued to the bench for the rest of the game. We see Pouliot fight in a game and BOOM........ice time cut for several games afterward.

So we do not know what goes on between Martin and Pouliot. But we do see a pattern with Martin. O'Byrne was the Pouliot the previous season. If he took a penalty, benchtime. Martin even sent O'Byrne to the press box during the Philly playoff series when we could have used a big body on D.

Max Pacioretty came to Montreal with high hopes.........only to be sent back to the minors after Martin cut his ice time and pressured him relentlessly. And Max spoke out to the media regarding the "Martin Way" and how he preferred to be in Hamilton.

And we saw the Martin pattern with Subban at the beginning of the season. Press box time for the guy who turned out to be our best DMan. The only reason Subban got out of the Martin doghouse was injuries to our D.

Then Laps entered the Martin doghouse. Cut his PK time and icetime. And then traded away in the middle of the season.

So Pouliot not getting a QO is surprising to Canadiens' fans and is indicative of Pouliot's "talent" or lack thereof? Based on the Martin doghouse system, I expected it.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
That is my point. No one here knows how hard Pouliot tried or didnt try during practice. No one knows what was said or not said to Pouliot in the locker room by Martin.

All we are privy to is what we see on the ice. We see Pouliot take a penalty and BOOM.......glued to the bench for the rest of the game. We see Pouliot fight in a game and BOOM........ice time cut for several games afterward.

So we do not know what goes on between Martin and Pouliot. But we do see a pattern with Martin. O'Byrne was the Pouliot the previous season. If he took a penalty, benchtime. Martin even sent O'Byrne to the press box during the Philly playoff series when we could have used a big body on D.

Max Pacioretty came to Montreal with high hopes.........only to be sent back to the minors after Martin cut his ice time and pressured him relentlessly. And Max spoke out to the media regarding the "Martin Way" and how he preferred to be in Hamilton.

And we saw the Martin pattern with Subban at the beginning of the season. Press box time for the guy who turned out to be our best DMan. The only reason Subban got out of the Martin doghouse was injuries to our D.

Then Laps entered the Martin doghouse. Cut his PK time and icetime. And then traded away in the middle of the season.

So Pouliot not getting a QO is surprising to Canadiens' fans and is indicative of Pouliot's "talent" or lack thereof? Based on the Martin doghouse system, I expected it.
I wonder why you'd bring up Pacioretty. He got the first line duty because he outworked Fatty. Martin gave him ice-time despite him not being particularly productive because he tried. Eventually they saw it just wasn't good for him to play like that in the NHL. They sent him back, and when he was ready, he was given ice-time, and thrived. Gauthier and Martin made it work, because Pacioretty obviously worked hard for it to happen.

I'm not sure what happened about the other ones, but I'm willing to bet a culture of non-accountability had developped. Players weren't serious enough in practice or whatnot, didn't work hard on D, etc. Martin came in and didn't work that way. Vets usually get a lot of TOI because they know how to practice and what to do when it's not working out. Those that weren't willing to abide to a proper work ethic were traded/waived/whatever.

This is just speculation, but it does seem to be a very plausible scenario.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:26 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Go ahead and bookmark this post.

Next season, when Pouliot is playing on another team, he will exceed his 17 goals that he scored this past season in Montreal.
Impossible. And I wouldnt be surprised to see him leave for Europe.. the only team I see having some interest is Ottawa..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:27 AM
KareyPrice

Pouliot I hope we sign him hes got potential and is a decent 3rd liner.

KareyPrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

So officially 2 spots open up front right now..

Cammy Pleks Kostitsyn

Gionta Gomez MaxPac

Desharnais Eller X

White X Moen

fill the blank:

We sign Konopka to center the fourth line... UFA or Palushaj for the third line spot..

Old
06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Go ahead and bookmark this post.

Next season, when Pouliot is playing on another team, he will exceed his 17 goals that he scored this past season in Montreal.
He only had 13 goals.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

Cammy Pleks Kostitsyn

Gionta Gomez MaxPac

Desharnais Eller X

White X Moen

fill the blank:

We sign Konopka to center the fourth line... UFA or Palushaj for the third line spot..
Darche will be playing bottom-six. So only one spot needs to be filled on the daily lineup, 2-3 total depending on number of spares that will be forward or defensemen.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:50 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Cammy Pleks Kostitsyn

Gionta Gomez MaxPac

Desharnais Eller X

White X Moen

fill the blank:

You forgot about Darche! He's done enough to not be the 13th forward and would likely be penciled in on the third line with DD and Eller (altho I would rather have a better player there...).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
You forgot about Darche! He's done enough to not be the 13th forward and would likely be penciled in on the third line with DD and Eller (altho I would rather have a better player there...).
I could see Darche White Desharnais Palushaj alterning on the pressbox... I think Palushaj should play on the third line, it would give a pretty interesting kid line, alot of skills...

Old
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Really? Care to elaborate because I find the opposite. They usually do their own thing, and are criticized when they don't make moves at the deadline to counter the moves everyone else is making. Unless you mean they don't target UFAs or make trades until a player is injured and they absolutely have to replace them, I'd agree with you there.
i look at the lapierre situation, knowing that what we got basically nothing in return (a 5th round pick traded back for Mara and a prospect traded for mcintyre), knowing that we ended up in the playoffs thin up front, needing a reeling Halpern to come back and play in a must-win game 7, and I see a series of moves made in reaction to an immediate concern that ultimately gave the team minimal return for the asset(s) moved...

compounded by an earlier trade (o'byrne for bournival) and a later trade (trading Maxwell & 4th for Sopel, whose contributions could hardly be considered an upgrade over what O'Byrne offered).

at times, to be sure, teams must act immediately/soon after a major injury in order to address a significant hole in the roster in order to maintain the status quo as best as possible (the Wiz trade was reactionary - doesn't happen without Markov's injury, but it made sense and was worth the cost even if we don't retain Wiz imo), but that should be the exception, not the rule, when building for bigger than the immediate future.

Gainey functioned very similarly at times, and I'm seeing the same trend continue. If a firm plan/philosophy was in place, one that transcended single season needs, then I think you'd see a different approach to both in/out of season roster management... one that prioritized maximizing the asset value a player has to the franchise, even at times at the expense of immediate needs/gains.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Cammy Pleks Kostitsyn

Gionta Gomez MaxPac

Desharnais Eller X

White X Moen

fill the blank:

I would love to see Belanger in a checking centre/pk/faceoffs role. He replaces Halpern seamlessly, and I'd even consider it to be an upgrade.... perhaps add upshall or a player of his ilk in the other open bottom six slot....

I'd give darche a full time spot too... who he takes out depends on traning camp... nothing wrong with a little depth and competition

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
For #Habs fans who may be stewing RT @lkorac10: Blues give qualifying offers to @OSH74, Bishop, Reaves, not D'Agostini: http://*******/jC97lP

heh

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Let see if this means that the Habs will continue to de-pansify themselves. Of course, Pouliot could have provided some nice energy, but Martin effed him up good. Worst thing that can happen is that he goes to Boston and flourishes.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc View Post
It's a surprise.

Even if he had really good defensive instinct aswel as good skating, his lack of offensive skills made him expendable. But I didn't think Habs were going to just let him walk away for nothing.

Bingo!

Re: Pyatt - lack of scoring and (perhaps more so) - lack of size did him in with the Habs.

Like you Frankc I think I'm missing something?

Flyers get a 3rd round draft choice from Minny for Powe (who is a RFA and whom Philly apparently was not going to qualify) and the Habs just let Pouliot and Pyatt walk and get nothing - like zero in return?

Can someone explain this to me?

Would appreciate any legit guess or explanation!

And what if this is.....as good as it gets (for the Habs)?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote