HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pyatt, Pouliot, Picard, Boyd, and Dawes NOT tendered qualifying offer

Old
06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Oh and one thing I forgot to mention...

What's the point of not tendering Pouliot ? What's the downside to signing him ? Worse case scenario he's a fine 13th forward to keep on the roster for the hard times.

The only downside is if you plan to spend to the cap, but how exactly are the habs going to spend to the cap this summer ? I can't wait to see how they plan on filling the line up come july 1st...especially considering what's left on the market... which is almost nothing.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

What's the point of not tendering Pouliot ? What's the downside to signing him ? Worse case scenario he's a fine 13th forward to keep on the roster for the hard times.

The only downside is if you plan to spend to the cap, but how exactly are the habs going to spend to the cap this summer ? I can't wait to see how they plan on filling the line up come july 1st...especially considering what's left on the market... which is almost nothing.
that's a very good point, and it's what scares me...

there really aren't any players on the UFA market that are worth overpaying big-time for, and yet because of that, to win the bidding wars for the handful of guys who would be clear roster upgrades, we will have to do just that.

some would argue that whatever the UFA market produces (contract-wise) isn't "overpaying", it's market value... which is true but misleading since the value of the players is dictated not so much by their ability as it is by the amount of competition there is for their services.

Laich setting the bar at 4.5M/6years for his services, prior to July 1st, strikes me as a good indication that the top guys on the market are going to be signing onto massive deals, many of which will look as awful as Spacek's contract does within 1-2 seasons.

last thing i want to see is the team saddling up with another 2-3 awful contracts for players that make us only marginally more competitive.

I hope, as unlikely as it is, that the rational/focus for their moves so far (including not coming to terms with Wiz) is that they are closing in on a few trades that will land us the roster upgrades we need... but with an average prospect group that isn't particularly deep (at least not in terms of highly-regarded/valued prospects), it's hard to see how the trade market will be the solution.

i'll say it now, i'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather the team accept to go into the season without any significant roster upgrades, than throwing absurd money at a guy like Erhoff or Upshall just to get them here.

and makes your point all the more valid... there was no harm in keeping Pouliot at his QO, and forcing him to earn his roster spot or get relegated to the press box/waiver-wire/AHL.
no risk/big reward is far better than nothing.

Cammy-Pleks-Kost
MaxPac-Gomez-Gio
DD-Eller-Darche
Moen-White-Palushaj

markov-subban
gorges-gill
hamrlik-weber
spacek/emelin

i can live with that far easier than with an Erhoff @ 6M or an Upshall @5M

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Is Talbot an option now that pyat is gone ?
I have to think that Montreal plans on at least feeling him out.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

What's the point of not tendering Pouliot ? What's the downside to signing him ?
Paying him 1.35 million dollars would be the downside.

As I've said before, wouldn't be over suprised if he's resigned, depending on how the next couple of weeks go.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Toro

like some have said, just cause BP wasn't offered a QO doesn't mean he wont or cant be signed still. It could just be a way for management to get BP to sign for less as he has not solidified his position in the NHL still.

Not saying I want him back but he is still young and a big bodied skill player.

Maybe they couldnt trade him so they thought it would be safe not to qualify him.

I can't see just letting him walk if they could have traded him.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post

As I've said before, wouldn't be over suprised if he's resigned, depending on how the next couple of weeks go.
No way ! He's out of MTL for good.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Boyd and Dawes; Obvious reason why the Habs didn't tender an offer.

Pouliot; Good riddance.

Picard; 7th defenseman, at best.

Pyatt; 13th forward, at best. Did a good job on the PK, but nothing really much after that.

I'm not surprised with any of these guys not receiving a qualifying offer.
this pretty much
we didnt lose too important pieces that we cannot somehow replace

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
As opposed to not having him at all ?

And also, are you Molson ? Or his son ? Is that eating into your inheritance ?

Personally, I couldn't care less that we have to pay him 1.35M.

Molson raising the ticket prices doesn't really have me buying into his plight either if that was the only reason why we didn't qualify Pouliot. I'd rather believe there are actual hockey or roster reasons.

Quote:
I doubt that VERY much. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with TB actually.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:20 AM
RNiner

Paying Pouliot 1.35 mil doesn't just eat into your cap space for July 1st. It eats into it all year. There WILL be trade options down the line, and into the season, much as there was last year. The more cap room you have, the more wiggle room you have to make deals that improve the team when you need it.

On July 1st, we'll have no idea which holes we'll need to fill on January 1st. And I'd much rather we have 5 mil in free space on January 1st then 3.5 mil in free space. No?

Also, what hole does Pouliot fill? Making him the 13th forward sounds good, but we all know what kind of player/person he is. He'll mope and sulk. Other players would work harder. He'd just get discouraged. And he'd be taking the spot of a kid like Palushaj, or the spot of some UFA that we could sign in August for 500k (like we did with Halpern). No thanks.

The 1.35 price is decent. The roster spot he'd take up is more valuable though. Like Pyatt (even at 500k) we can do better. Or at least take a small chance at something else being better.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:13 AM
OneSharpMarble

Pouliot should have been signed, the guy has the skills but we are going to give up on him now? There were many times he was the only player who was productive and looked like a top 6 but I guess management has decided to just let him go the way they have gotten rid of plenty of players that turn it around elsewhere.

We traded an assest to get the damn guy and we give him 7mins a night to prove himself? This is ridiculous.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Padrino86

Keep in mind that Pouliot might have been a problem in the locker room.

Wasn't he suspected of leaking locker room info at some point during last season?

Either way... The only UFA I really hope we make bids for are Jagr and Kennedy. But I won't be shocked if we don't sign either.

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

We traded an assest to get the damn guy and we give him 7mins a night to prove himself? This is ridiculous.
When you say '7 mins a night', do you actually mean 'an average of 11 and a half minutes a night over the course of last regular season, with a maximum of over 18 minutes and more than ten minutes in a total of 59 games'?

Because that's quite a lot different from 7 minutes a night. Are the facts so inconvenient that you need to change them to suit your agenda?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:43 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Pouliot should have been signed, the guy has the skills but we are going to give up on him now? There were many times he was the only player who was productive and looked like a top 6 but I guess management has decided to just let him go the way they have gotten rid of plenty of players that turn it around elsewhere.

actually, he played 7 or less minutes in 8% (6 games) of the games he played...

and played 12 minutes or more in 40% (32 games) of the games he was a part of...

but hey, dont let facts cloud your judgement...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I can't believe people are upset about losing Pouliot. He was given a lot of chances, he didn't make the most of them. He has horrible balance. He doesn't have good hockey sense. He tries to dangle too much and he doesn't use his body effectively. He might wake up somewhere else and I wish we could've gotten something for him but I don't expect the Habs ever to get assets for players who are pending UFA's.

All we can hope for is this means the Habs are looking for players who can score, hit, play a significant role in the bottom 6.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
that's a very good point, and it's what scares me...

there really aren't any players on the UFA market that are worth overpaying big-time for, and yet because of that, to win the bidding wars for the handful of guys who would be clear roster upgrades, we will have to do just that.

some would argue that whatever the UFA market produces (contract-wise) isn't "overpaying", it's market value... which is true but misleading since the value of the players is dictated not so much by their ability as it is by the amount of competition there is for their services.

Laich setting the bar at 4.5M/6years for his services, prior to July 1st, strikes me as a good indication that the top guys on the market are going to be signing onto massive deals, many of which will look as awful as Spacek's contract does within 1-2 seasons.

last thing i want to see is the team saddling up with another 2-3 awful contracts for players that make us only marginally more competitive.
Interesting.

It may be true. In a year with mostly mediocre UFA choices, you'll end up overpaying to a much worse degree than you would for a better UFA in a good UFA year.

In that given poor UFA year, 30 teams still have needs that must be filled. Therefore they all compete just as hard for a pool of mediocre players...and perhaps overpay for a lesser result.

If this is true, and a brighter guy on this board is welcome to refute it, perhaps, as more and more of us have been saying today, we should just pass on UFA forwards this year, or, at least concentrate on Wiz.

Hmmm...

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

All we can hope for is this means the Habs are looking for players who can score, hit, play a significant role in the bottom 6.
lol, we keep hoping, but it never happens. Actually, we traded that guy for BP by the looks of it. Oh the irony.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, we keep hoping, but it never happens. Actually, we traded that guy for BP by the looks of it. Oh the irony.
Seriously? Have you ever watched Guillaume Latendresse play hockey?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
like some have said, just cause BP wasn't offered a QO doesn't mean he wont or cant be signed still. It could just be a way for management to get BP to sign for less as he has not solidified his position in the NHL still.

Not saying I want him back but he is still young and a big bodied skill player.

Maybe they couldnt trade him so they thought it would be safe not to qualify him.

I can't see just letting him walk if they could have traded him.
Smart man. That may be true. Gms are learning. Try to trade, no go, therefore don't qualify at lower risk, and renegotiate to a lower salary with no arbitration.

BUT: If I was a GM and really liked an RFA player offered in trade, I'd say 'Nah, he's ****, no interest.' Then the instant he was UFA I'd throw cash at the kid.

That may happen to Pools. There's likely a GM out there who refused a trade, but will snap him up at 2 mill as a UFA.

His agent will likely at least inform the Habs though, so that they can counter offer.

Old
06-29-2011, 11:27 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
lol what?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
ya we could have Tender trying to keep up with Eller and Andrei on the third line paying him 2.5m

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:36 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
actually, he played 7 or less minutes in 8% (6 games) of the games he played...

and played 12 minutes or more in 40% (32 games) of the games he was a part of...

but hey, dont let facts cloud your judgement...
Alright guys, let him go. Let him go guys. You torched the guy in 5 minutes. You can let go of his balls now. Guys. Guys?

GUYS! stop tearing at his throat! GUYS!

That's why I love this board. We use facts here. Post ****, get ****.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Benoit Pouliot "exclusive" interview from RDS (Sorry for the little voice delay)

Some key points:

-Some Europeans teams made offers.
-3 NHL teams might make an offer from Friday. (All Eastern Conference teams)

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:39 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Benoit Pouliot "exclusive" interview from RDS (Sorry for the little voice delay)

Some key points:

Well, for all the crap he gets around here, I hope Habs make him an offer, maybe 900k year for 2 years. Worst case you let him play low minutes and trade him at the dead line. Best case he fills a third line scoring role and gets 30 - 40 points but also can play second line minutes in spurts in case of the inevitable injuries.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Seriously? Have you ever watched Guillaume Latendresse play hockey?
You mean the 240lb forward who potted 25 goals his last healthy year? Yes, I do remember him. Are you joining the 'Latendresse is fat, slow and sucks' group now? I thought that bandwagon was all full, I guess not?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:51 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

Some key points:

I could see the Sens and the Bolts being interested to sign him 1 year 2-way contract.. Personally I think he will play another year in the NHL but will leave for Europe after..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote