HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pyatt, Pouliot, Picard, Boyd, and Dawes NOT tendered qualifying offer

Old
06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I would take the overwhelming majority of last years 20 goal scorers over him. If I wanted a hockey opinion, you'd be the last person I'd ask.
Love your avatar!

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I still can't believe we get nothing for Pouliot.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Pyatt not with no QO Is a bit of a shock... But the rest arent

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
They traded Latendresse for ZIP!
I don't know why this regime both Gainey and PG have been letting assetts go so easily.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
TheBuriedHab

I'm reading this thread and im laughing at all the people upset we didn't keep pouliot. I guess people don't remember how inept he was offensively after christmas, how many times he falls on his own, almost every game when his ice time in the third is about 30 seconds. Seriously this guy is a bust. Why would you waste over a million in cap space on this guy. People talk about bad asset management, well giving him a QO would be bad CAP management. If he sucks again, what team will take him, even for nothing? The dudes going to be in europe any second. Take that extra Million and add it to an offer to a ufa incase we get into a bidding war.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I would take the overwhelming majority of last years 20 goal scorers over him. If I wanted a hockey opinion, you'd be the last person I'd ask.

PS: I'd come to you if I wanted a good brand of cheesecake.
Okay, sir.

I'd be lots of help with cheesecake since I've never even tried it, lol. That was the burn of the century. Let me bookmark this page.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Pouliot, ah Pouliot.

I find it completely and utterly pathetic how much Martin never gave him a chance to succeed. Knock on him all you want for not being so smart at times out there, but he's got all the tools to succeed, just needs someone to get that into his head.

It was all about the confidence with Benny. When he believed in himself, he looked unstoppable out there. Whenever he made a mistake, that was that, and it was demotion. Never given the chance to learn from his mistakes, never given the chance to play on Gomez's line while Moen was up there for 30 games.

Also, I love how he never got any power play time, ESPECIALLY when he ripped it up and was scoring once every two games last year. Yet, Desharnais started getting in on the 2nd PP unit several games into his tenure here. Funny how that works.

So long. I'll root for you, hope someone handles you properly and you succeed.

couldn't agree more.

if he's smart, he'll take some time to look at what team will offer him the best fit (both in terms of role and in terms of a coaching staff capable of developping players), and sign there for whatever they are willing to give him.

Tampa stands out like a sore thumb, watch him go there, get paired with Lecavalier, get mentored by Boucher, and end up the 30+goal scorer he has all the ability he needs to become.

so many teams are in a position to give a guy like him a real shot, it's mind-blowing that one of the worst offenses in the league doesn't think they have room to give him a legit shot

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So not only we shipped Latendresse for nothing, but we send Pouliot away for nothing. Double Whammy! No need to get into this in that much detail, pretty obvious that trade sucked for the beginning...looked okay for a little while and then it was all fail from then on. Just puzzles me that everybody we trade from here were not supposed to have a great work ethic and were awful as far as their maturity is concerned but then the Habs succeed in getting THE guy with the greatest work ethic and maturity problem of them all.....Can't wait to see Martin doing great with guys like that...still waiting.....You'd think that while he doesn't have the greatest of work ethic, a guy who was able to do what he did, clearly calls to get some confidence.....which he rarely received. All that negativity aside, if it permits us to get better through trade, farm team or UFA, we will be a better team.

As far as Pyatt, can't believe we didn't tender the GREATEST PK'er since Guy Carbonneau.... I mean, we did see all those stats saying how incredibly important this guy was to our team....But then our professionnals thought he was not needed....Again, if it makes us a better team, that's what's important. Yet, so many reports about how Pyatt was so crucial to this team and then...he's gone with just a thank you card.

Yet, both moves are just a confirmation that Pouliot was not the guy to get and that Pyatt was just like so many players out there...Greatest news of that is that if it means the organization trying to bring some new colour in that system, so be it. Great news if letting those guys go means that while those guys were a part of this team last year, that going further, means becoming better.

Picard? Who cares. Boyd and Dawes? Bye-bye. You were just a band-aid. Thanks a lot to Nigel for his AHL stint. The Dogs will miss you, let's hope that our organization have some plans for them too....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

you guys always blame the coachs

were is the player's responsibility? Pouliot was downright embarassing

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Pouliot, ah Pouliot.

I find it completely and utterly pathetic how much Martin never gave him a chance to succeed. Knock on him all you want for not being so smart at times out there, but he's got all the tools to succeed, just needs someone to get that into his head.

It was all about the confidence with Benny. When he believed in himself, he looked unstoppable out there. Whenever he made a mistake, that was that, and it was demotion. Never given the chance to learn from his mistakes, never given the chance to play on Gomez's line while Moen was up there for 30 games.

Also, I love how he never got any power play time, ESPECIALLY when he ripped it up and was scoring once every two games last year. Yet, Desharnais started getting in on the 2nd PP unit several games into his tenure here. Funny how that works.

So long. I'll root for you, hope someone handles you properly and you succeed.
He got to ride shotgun with Gomez and Gionta after the trade. He didn't have to work for that spot. All he managed to do once he stopped scoring every game was to keep the effort level up. He ended up playing himself out of that spot. He has no one to blame but himself.

For the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
A player has to do his part.

Honestly, if Pouliot came early to the rink to work hard or left late, checked tape of himself, I'm pretty sure the coach would go out of his way to help him out.

We see the same problems over and over with Pouliot. Lazy penalties, overall poor effort. Coasting on talent gets you through a lot, but the NHL is a league where the best play.

Gauthier and Martin decided to go with Price when they saw he put the work in on a leap of faith. Pouliot would get ice-time if he gave a flying ****.

People and coddling underachievers

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I'm reading this thread and im laughing at all the people upset we didn't keep pouliot. I guess people don't remember how inept he was offensively after christmas, how many times he falls on his own, almost every game when his ice time in the third is about 30 seconds. Seriously this guy is a bust. Why would you waste over a million in cap space on this guy. People talk about bad asset management, well giving him a QO would be bad CAP management. If he sucks again, what team will take him, even for nothing? The dudes going to be in europe any second. Take that extra Million and add it to an offer to a ufa incase we get into a bidding war.
yeah, you're right, maybe we can find another UFA steal like Spacek @ 3.8M... except this time we can overpay by even more.

the cap going up and money to spend, with this management team still operating cap-blind and eager to waste assets, could be the worst thing to happen to us.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:34 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
couldn't agree more.

if he's smart, he'll take some time to look at what team will offer him the best fit (both in terms of role and in terms of a coaching staff capable of developping players), and sign there for whatever they are willing to give him.

Tampa stands out like a sore thumb, watch him go there, get paired with Lecavalier, get mentored by Boucher, and end up the 30+goal scorer he has all the ability he needs to become.

so many teams are in a position to give a guy like him a real shot, it's mind-blowing that one of the worst offenses in the league doesn't think they have room to give him a legit shot
How many more yougsters with untap potential are we going to loose yet ?

Gainey + Gauthier + Martin = Armageddon for young players.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
BAM (Bad Asset Management) is the new buzzword. Sign Pouliot, give him sugar time and a shot on the top lines. If he clicks great if not make a deal before Christmas, get something back. Not impossible to deal a big young cheap top-four overall pick. This isn't rocket science...
Grabovsky and S.Kostitsyn became first line forwards when they left Montreal. Higgins and Lapierre came a game short of winning a cup. Komisarek left and Habs got nothing in return. Latendresse is now a 30 goal scorer, Streit is the best defense on his team, O'Byrn has found his game in Colorado, Ryder has his name on a cup, etc.....

Sad to see some of the Habs assets just go with almost nothing in return.. They just can't seem to get the best from their young players and they end up having more success elsewhere... Except Komisarek.. lol

But seriously, "Player Development" needs to be improved greatly on that team...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Marchy79

Maybe they're going to talk to Pouliot before offering the contract. (Lesser terms???) I remember they did it before to another player... Another option is to leave him open as he is, to see what other team's are leaving in their 'junk' pile.

Not that I remotely think Benny is or was junk... Actually I do have to say I am saddened to hear his spot on the team is compromised.

I personally liked his game, he just had to seriously stop the 2 minute infractions... It's cheating the rest of the team, because they have to pick up his 'load of crap'.
In short, if benny stopped making the team pay, by playing a little more honestly, IMHO he would be a fine fit here.

I think a lot more is going on behind closed doors when it comes to Benny... Maybe stuff we'll hear about soon in re: to what was said/what happened...Doesnt make sense that a guy making little more than a million, and has potential to score in bunches...

Either way, I DID have hope riding on this kid.

As for Gaut's and decisions... Well, he made the best decision this week at the draft, so Im still pretty euphoric about that lol

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Pouliot was downright embarassing
Is this before or after he was told he'd hit pine the very moment he ****ed up.

Quote:
He got to ride shotgun with Gomez and Gionta after the trade. He didn't have to work for that spot. All he managed to do once he stopped scoring every game was to keep the effort level up. He ended up playing himself out of that spot. He has no one to blame but himself.

For the rest...
He did play himself out of that spot...and never got the chance to get it back again. Considering how little NHL experience he had and how young/raw he was/is, I find that to be revolting.

Pouliot was a headcase, no doubt about it, but my point stands: Martin seemingly never gave him the opportunity to become successful again. You're not going to do anything playing a few minutes on the 4th line and getting benched when you make a mistake. IT'S NORMAL he made mistakes, what's NOT normal is that Martin never turned a blind eye to some of them. Why not just tell him what he did wrong, and send him back out there again, instead of outright benching him?

Old
06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
yeah, you're right, maybe we can find another UFA steal like Spacek @ 3.8M... except this time we can overpay by even more.

the cap going up and money to spend, with this management team still operating cap-blind and eager to waste assets, could be the worst thing to happen to us.
Yeah, true our management is not the best at acquiring pro talent. I'm hoping they turned the corner and learned their lesson from Spacek. Who knows, im just positive, that an extra 1.3 mil in cap space is greater value than Benny is.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
How many playoffs points did Gaborik get since?

Gaborik : 2pts in 5 games
Gomez : 18 pts in 26 games

But hey, Gomez is god awfuk and Gaborik is the Rangers' saviour...
perfect

Gomez was a role of the dice. That is all.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

For the rest...

that's all fine and good, but the simple reality is that when a player fails, the entire organzation suffers because as an asset (which is what all of the players are), his value diminishes... not entirely different than an underperforming stock.

that's why it's in the teams best interest to do everything possible to either get the most out of a player on the ice, or get the most for him off the ice.

in pouliot's case, whatever his shortcomings as an athlete, it was obvious to some that he was on a very short leash AND it's a fact that he got minimal opportunities to play the roles he's best suited to play.

Despite this, he was among the leaders on the team in terms of ES production rate...

to take a young asset, who still has upside and who clearly struggles with confidence, let a notoriously harsh on young player coach run roughshot over him, and then essentially cut him lose for nothing...

that's the problem. not that the team gave up on Pouliot, but that they put him in a no-win situation, watched his stock plummet, and then got rid of him.

not smart no matter how bad of an athlete people want to make him out to be (and i actually don't buy it, his on-ice competitivness showed more than enough to indicate that he both cares and was trying).

Old
06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
... and yet he's the 7th highest point getter on this pathetic team. So why ***** at him, when the entire offense sucks?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Grabovsky and S.Kostitsyn became first line forwards when they left Montreal. Higgins and Lapierre came a game short of winning a cup. Komisarek left and Habs got nothing in return. Latendresse is now a 30 goal scorer, Streit is the best defense on his team, O'Byrn has found his game in Colorado, Ryder has his name on a cup, etc.....

Sad to see some of the Habs assets just go with almost nothing in return.. They just can't seem to get the best from their young players and they end up having more success elsewhere... Except Komisarek.. lol

But seriously, "Player Development" needs to be improved greatly on that team...
LMAO at your entire post. The only guy we missed out on was Streit. Do you really miss Komisarek? As far as we know he was offered a similar contract with Montreal and left. How good was Higgins with Florida? The Rangers? No, okay the Flames? Oh and Latendresse has never scored 30 goals.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:

He did play himself out of that spot...and never got the chance to get it back again. Considering how little NHL experience he had and how young/raw he was/is, I find that to be revolting.

Pouliot was a headcase, no doubt about it, but my point stands: Martin seemingly never gave him the opportunity to become successful again. You're not going to do anything playing a few minutes on the 4th line and getting benched when you make a mistake. IT'S NORMAL he made mistakes, what's NOT normal is that Martin never turned a blind eye to some of them. Why not just tell him what he did wrong, and send him back out there again, instead of outright benching him?
I wonder how long until Gomez "plays himself out of his spot"

Old
06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
that's all fine and good, but the simple reality is that when a player fails, the entire organzation suffers because as an asset (which is what all of the players are), his value diminishes... not entirely different than an underperforming stock.

that's why it's in the teams best interest to do everything possible to either get the most out of a player on the ice, or get the most for him off the ice.

in pouliot's case, whatever his shortcomings as an athlete, it was obvious to some that he was on a very short leash AND it's a fact that he got minimal opportunities to play the roles he's best suited to play.

Despite this, he was among the leaders on the team in terms of ES production rate...

to take a young asset, who still has upside and who clearly struggles with confidence, let a notoriously harsh on young player coach run roughshot over him, and then essentially cut him lose for nothing...

that's the problem. not that the team gave up on Pouliot, but that they put him in a no-win situation, watched his stock plummet, and then got rid of him.

not smart no matter how bad of an athlete people want to make him out to be (and i actually don't buy it, his on-ice competitivness showed more than enough to indicate that he both cares and was trying).
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

Are you serious? He didn't get another chance?

JM handed his job back to AK as soon as he started turning it on with 10 mins of TOI. You'd think Pouliot wasn't that braindead to not even try to win it back.

As I said, if he showed he care, on or off the ice, JM would've tried to help him and it would've surely changed his perception of him and he would've tried to work something out.

Worst part is people defending him. What a joke. You could make his lunchbox and buy him a happy meal every week while you're at it.

Quote:

As I said, if Pouliot doesn't meet the org and coaching staff halfway, I don't see why they'd bother trying. He's a bum. On top of that, he plays like a scrub. GTFO Mr. Pouliot.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
... and yet he's the 7th highest point getter on this pathetic team. So why ***** at him, when the entire offense sucks?
He was 8th, with guys like Eller, DD and MaxPac behind him, who will all be more integral this year.. Its not just about pts, for god sakes look past that. Anyone that watched the games saw how bad he was down the stretch. He has good starts to the seasons, but totally disappears down the stretch.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Are you serious? He didn't get another chance?

JM handed his job back to AK as soon as he started turning it on with 10 mins of TOI. You'd think Pouliot wasn't that braindead to not even try to win it back.

As I said, if he showed he care, on or off the ice, JM would've tried to help him and it would've surely changed his perception of him and he would've tried to work something out.

Worst part is people defending him. What a joke. You could make his lunchbox and buy him a happy meal every week while you're at it.
Are you kidding me? "Handed his job back" consisted of a couple of games (if even that) of games in the top 6 interspersed with benchings here and there. **** that, that's not "handing" him anything back, that's putting him in a situation where HE CANNOT WIN because he is NOT GIVEN the chance to take any risks out of fear of getting benched. And when he does take a risk or does make a mistake, his chance is gone. How is that fair, and how is that trying to get the most of a clearly special, but troubled player that needs mentoring?

And I find it truly laughable that you think so highly of Martin and his handling of young players. It was pretty clear from the get go Pouliot was in his doghouse, as Miller Time pointed out.

I'd say what's even worse from all this is you're trying to paint the picture Martin is some kind of young player guru that knows how to develop players based on care effort alone. How do you know Pouliot didn't care, exactly, because he lacked confidence out there?