HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The "list of 12 players"

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Darz

vCash: 500
I think in the Ladd/Chipchura arguement people are looking WAY to far ahead. Truthfully I like Ladd, but how he came on this year, with the linemates he had, sort of reminds me of Terry Ryan in his draft year. Now I realize with hindsight we all realize that Ryan was a bad pick, but for the few of us who remember the days after the habs drafted him the talk around Ryan was quite similiar to the talk around Ladd. Now I realize you can't compare that way, but it is an example of how you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.

Let's not get to far ahead of ourselves. I think Chipchura was as about as safe of a pick (outside of the top 2) as you can get, but projections at this point are almost impossible. I think 12 to 18 months from now the picture will get alot clearer.

Old
07-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Now I realize you can't compare that way, but it is an example of how you shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.
Well this is Hockey's Future boards, so pretty much everyone here has a tendency to count, cook, eat and digest his chickens before they hatch.

Old
07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Well this is Hockey's Future boards, so pretty much everyone here has a tendency to count, cook, eat and digest his chickens before they hatch.
Actually I'm guilty of doing that too, and I guess in a way that wasn't exactly what I wanted to say. More along the lines of how unpredicable prospects can be. Alot of people assume Ladd will automatically be a better NHL scorer than Chipchura because of how he outperformed him for half a season. Now I'm not saying that Chipchura will be the better scorer, but to believe that anything is written in stone when talking about 18 year olds is dangerous. Terry Ryan at 18 was a great scorer, and......

Old
07-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Actually I'm guilty of doing that too, and I guess in a way that wasn't exactly what I wanted to say. More along the lines of how unpredicable prospects can be. Alot of people assume Ladd will automatically be a better NHL scorer than Chipchura because of how he outperformed him for half a season. Now I'm not saying that Chipchura will be the better scorer, but to believe that anything is written in stone when talking about 18 year olds is dangerous. Terry Ryan at 18 was a great scorer, and......
Yes, very true, prospects don't develop as much or at the same pace most of the time when compared to one another. If professional scouts can't even be right about a player's projected outcome the majority of the time, how much of a chance do we fans stand to be dead on when evaluating prospects? More so when they just got drafted.

For the record, even though I'm probably one of Chipchura's biggest supporter around here, I'd probably take Ladd over him, just for the fact he's such a gifted skater (to me that's what stands out the most about him along with his hockey sense and grit). He's definitelly a Timmins kind of pick and I'm sure he was pretty high on their list.

Overall though, I think it wouldn't be too far fetched to choose either one to become the most successful one in the future. Ladd stands a better chance to develop a scoring touch at the pro level, mainly because Chipchura's game is more playmaking oriented, but overall I'd feel confident with either one. They're both complete players with great character that can do it all on the ice and will sacrifice themselves for the team. Can't go wrong with those kind of guys, as they'll always find a way to help you.

Old
07-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Yes, very true, prospects don't develop as much or at the same pace most of the time when compared to one another. If professional scouts can't even be right about a player's projected outcome the majority of the time, how much of a chance do we fans stand to be dead on when evaluating prospects? More so when they just got drafted.

For the record, even though I'm probably one of Chipchura's biggest supporter around here, I'd probably take Ladd over him, just for the fact he's such a gifted skater (to me that's what stands out the most about him along with his hockey sense and grit). He's definitelly a Timmins kind of pick and I'm sure he was pretty high on their list.

Overall though, I think it wouldn't be too far fetched to choose either one to become the most successful one in the future. Ladd stands a better chance to develop a scoring touch at the pro level, mainly because Chipchura's game is more playmaking oriented, but overall I'd feel confident with either one. They're both complete players with great character that can do it all on the ice and will sacrifice themselves for the team. Can't go wrong with those kind of guys, as they'll always find a way to help you.
Agreed. If Ladd was somehow available at #18, and Gainey didn't take him, I would of thrown up!!!!

Closed Thread