HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Kariya Appreciation Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Paul Kariya Appreciation Thread

Now that he has announced his retirement I think its only right to have this thread for PK. Arguably the best player the franchise has ever had. He will always be one of my favorite players, his heart and pure skill was incredible to watch. Its a shame he never won a cup and concussions took over. Congrats on a great career!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
preds1

vCash: 605
Yep, was there for the Forsberg goal against Detroit.:

Great player and wish him all the best.

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Predsrule

one of the best pred players ever... about all I have to say

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:52 PM
AirborneVirus

Certainly among the greatest to have never won a cup

AirborneVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

For any of you who werent following the preds at that time, signing Kariya after the lockout was basically the "shot heard round the world" for Predators hockey.

Signaled to everyone that the expansion years were over and we were playing to win. Gave us instant credibility with other free agents.

And boy did he ever deliver the goods.... the shootout goal on opening night is one of my favorite Predator memories.

I was lucky enough to get #10,000 out of the 10,000 numbered Kariya figures that they gave away.

Glad he didnt try to come back and risk permanent brain damage.

good luck Paul, and thanks for the memories!

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Agreed, Sullivan was the first step towards credibility. Kariya was the giant leap.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
cleangene

EVERY game of both seasons here. EVERY player improved their game somehow from his assistance (i.e. the 9, 10, 11 line). EVERY shootout, PREDS a virtual lock for at least 1 goal. Thank you for EVERYTHING you did while being a PREDATOR, P.K.

Last edited by cleangene: 06-29-2011 at 11:16 PM.
cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Paul Kariya--the only person whose name I ever put on my own jersey. I loved watching him and was sorry to see him leave after the summer of gloom. I wish him only the best in his life after hockey.

I have a Kariya figurine. Now that he's retired, I'll probably get it back out. I've been in mourning for 4 years.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
roseyc

When I heard the Preds sign Kariya I was driving I almost ran off the road and signaled that we(the Preds) were no longer an expansion team but a contending team. Kariya was always one of my favorite players and then he signed with the Preds. Then I was feeling so doomed when he moved on when we couldn't sign him and felt ill will when he got booed when the Blues came to town. Good luck Paul. Now with Sully gone and Kariya retired I remember that season when we were a 4th seed only to be bullied around by those Sharks in the playoffs but that season was one of the best regular seasons.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Sad news. Definitely one of my favorite all time preds. Up there with Vokoun and Sullivan.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:14 PM
TediT

Paul is and was a class act. He was really fun to watch, especially when he and Leggy were on the same line. Sheesh... 989 points in 989 career games..... How many players average a point a game for their entire careers? (Hey, Brian, have you got that stat somewhere) I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do next!

Hey, budding hockey players, you don't have to be huge to be great hockey player. Paul proved that. Have a great work ethic, moral courage, and really, really hone those skills you do a have!

TediT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Jarnberg

Yet was booed by our fans every time he touched the puck after he left. One of the low points by our fans.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Yet was booed by our fans every time he touched the puck after he left. One of the low points by our fans.
He shouldn't have left and said he wanted to "play for a contender". He could think it, he just needed to keep his mouth shut. Booing was tough love.

Old
07-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
He shouldn't have left and said he wanted to "play for a contender". He could think it, he just needed to keep his mouth shut. Booing was tough love.
Please, Poile never offered him a contract. You think Leipold was about to let him sign here after he had Poile gut the team to make it more attractive to move? And with all the gutting, we were not a contender.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:48 PM
hockey diva

And St. Louis was? Sorry that was a low blow and he deserved to get booed.

However, his signing definitely made me take more notice of the Preds. I basically bought a half season's worth of games plus playoff tickets that year. FSTH after that.

Wish him well. Maybe he could go on DWTS? He apparently liked watching that show.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Please, Poile never offered him a contract. You think Leipold was about to let him sign here after he had Poile gut the team to make it more attractive to move? And with all the gutting, we were not a contender.
Please, that is beside the point completely. He was saying that St. Louis was a contender and we were NOT. You just don't say such things out loud and not get booed.

Besides, it's Kariya. I assure you he didn't care. That's what his former teams always did right before he scored on them.

Old
07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
OpenWheel

He had already said he would have been interested in discussing re-signing with us. So later he pumped his new team, big deal. I thought the normally classy Nashville crowd was a little bush league to boo him. (I intended to cheer him the first game or two, and boo him after that...) But big deal, it's not like he was a really long term Predator plus he did sign within the division. Played well while here though and he was the first 'name' to say Nashville was worth looking into for free agents, which was cool.

I remember calling my Dad with the news as soon as I heard, and he was just as surprised as I was. "How'd they get Kariya?!"

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Please, that is beside the point completely. He was saying that St. Louis was a contender and we were NOT. You just don't say such things out loud and not get booed.

Besides, it's Kariya. I assure you he didn't care. That's what his former teams always did right before he scored on them.
Foreal. I would've respected it if he had gone to the Red Wings or a real contender...but St. Louis? WTF?

That said, he was the man. I remember where I was when I got the text that we had traded for him, and I didn't believe it. He was not only the first superstar caliber we made a move for, but he was the first one who WANTED to come here. He chose us! Definitely made the hockey world take notice of Nashville. I'll always love him for that.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote