HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

waiver draft.

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2004, 06:55 PM
spent

vCash: 500
waiver draft.

hello. this is my first ever post. exciting no?

ive been reading the boards for a while now however.

i was curious to know when the waiver draft takes place and who would be protected and who the oilers would opt not to protect. ideas?

Old
07-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent

i was curious to know when the waiver draft takes place and who would be protected and who the oilers would opt not to protect. ideas?
I can see them not protecting Cory Cross. I'm pretty sure all the roster players can be protected. Not sure tho

Old
07-25-2004, 07:17 PM
HarryStrand

Usually the waiver draft is about three days before the start of the regular season.

With the CBA expiring on September 15th, I would think there is a strong possibility that the NHL would simply abandon the Waiver Draft for the coming season. There are so many loose ends to tie up that cannot be dealt with until the CBA is signed, and the Waiver Draft generally affects very few players. This year, with so many unsigned RFA's and UFA's as well as no transfer agreements with the IIHF and CHL, I can see where the waiver draft could easily be skipped for one year.

Old
07-25-2004, 07:39 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
All the rules and information on the Waiver Draft it's self can be found here:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/hockey_ops.html

As for who the Oilers will protect, I have no idea

Old
07-25-2004, 07:55 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
Welcome to the board Spent! Enjoi it here.

Old
07-25-2004, 08:37 PM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by spent

It'll be nice to get to know you Spent

Old
07-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Allan

Welcome to the board!

On the up side, now that Sather is gone, we don't have to worry about Routsaleinen being protected any more.

Old
07-25-2004, 09:06 PM
HarryStrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Welcome to the board!

On the up side, now that Sather is gone, we don't have to worry about Routsaleinen being protected any more.
That may be true, but the Oilers do tend to protect a rather obscure player such as Alexander Zhurik in the Waiver Draft in order to be able to sign a free agent during the season and not be forced to expose a roster player to regular season waivers:

The Oilers protected and available lists going into the 2002-03 Waiver Draft:

Edmonton Oilers
Protected
Eric Brewer, D; Anson Carter, F; Daniel Cleary, F; Scott Ferguson, D; Josh Green, F; Mike Grier, F; Alex Henry, D; Shawn Horcoff, F; Georges Laraque, F; Todd Marchant, F; Ethan Moreau, F; Janne Niinimaa, D; Jason Smith, D; Ryan Smyth, F; Steve Staios, D; Brian Swanson, F; Mike York, F; Alexander Zhurik, D; Jussi Markkanen, G; Tommy Salo, G.

Available
Adam Bennett, D; Jozef Cierny, F; Chad Hinz, F; Ralph Intranuovo, F; Fredrik Lindquist, F; Fernando Pisani, F; Marty Reasoner, F; Craig Reichert, F; Peter Sarno, F; Sergei Yerkovich, D.

Old
07-25-2004, 11:24 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStrand

The Oilers protected and available lists going into the 2002-03 Waiver Draft:

Edmonton Oilers
Protected
Eric Brewer, D; Anson Carter, F; Daniel Cleary, F; Scott Ferguson, D; Josh Green, F; Mike Grier, F; Alex Henry, D; Shawn Horcoff, F; Georges Laraque, F; Todd Marchant, F; Ethan Moreau, F; Janne Niinimaa, D; Jason Smith, D; Ryan Smyth, F; Steve Staios, D; Brian Swanson, F; Mike York, F; Alexander Zhurik, D; Jussi Markkanen, G; Tommy Salo, G.

Available
Adam Bennett, D; Jozef Cierny, F; Chad Hinz, F; Ralph Intranuovo, F; Fredrik Lindquist, F; Fernando Pisani, F; Marty Reasoner, F; Craig Reichert, F; Peter Sarno, F; Sergei Yerkovich, D.
hey, don't bring that up. It still makes me sick thinking that they exposed Reasoner that year.

Old
07-26-2004, 04:39 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
yeah exposing Reasoner was a real low blow, looking back at that list now (which doesn't mean much) its funny how they left Pisani and Reasoner exposed while keeping Henry and Green protected

Old
07-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
yeah exposing Reasoner was a real low blow, looking back at that list now (which doesn't mean much) its funny how they left Pisani and Reasoner exposed while keeping Henry and Green protected

Not to mention Brian Swanson!

Closed Thread