HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

OT: Toronto Will Not Bid For 2020 Olympics

Old
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

vCash: 500
OT: Toronto Will Not Bid For 2020 Olympics

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/11...ympic-bid-ford

Kinda bummed, but I'd rather Canada just stick to hosting winter games if we ever do host again

Also, God I miss the 2010 olympics.

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Loyal View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/11...ympic-bid-ford

Kinda bummed, but I'd rather Canada just stick to hosting winter games if we ever do host again

Also, God I miss the 2010 olympics.
Well, me too.

Winter Olympics are second tier. This country needs to get rid of that mentality. Summer Olympics are the top. Toronto has broken infrastructure and they needed it.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Well, me too.

Winter Olympics are second tier. This country needs to get rid of that mentality. Summer Olympics are the top. Toronto has broken infrastructure and they needed it.
Summer Olympics sucks with the 100s of swimming events and running.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebekoi View Post
Summer Olympics sucks with the 100s of swimming events and running.
Those are the core events. Its like saying the winter Olympics suck because of hockey. And on top of that, the ratings show the winter games are peanuts. Toronto deserves better.

Old
08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

I'd like the Summer games if Canada didn't suck in them. We kick ass in the winter, and I like watching games where we actually have a shot at getting a medal. In the Summer games we get our ***** kicked by the Americans, Chinese, Africans, etc.

Yeah I'm biased.

P.S. I would kill for Calgary to host again. I live here and I've dreamed of seeing this up close. Calgary 2022!

Old
08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Canada would get embarrassed in a summer Olympics.
Stick to what you are decent with.
Winter.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It would seem pointless to bid right after your country just hosted one. You're pretty much guaranteed to get passed over... why waste the money and effort?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
I don't think I've watched a Summer Olympics event since I was 10.

Summer sports...who needs 'em?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:04 PM
hdtrax

Good. Toronto needs to fix its many, many other problems - including an antiquated transit system, an eroding Coxwell Pipline (which could potentially release all of the literal crap in the sewage system into Lake Ontario) and a new highway revamp (Gardiner Expwy needs to be flat). I normally dislike Ford, and disagree with him on most things, but this I agree on. Not necessary for Toronto right now.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It would seem pointless to bid right after your country just hosted one. You're pretty much guaranteed to get passed over... why waste the money and effort?
Says the American *cough*1996 and 2002*cough*

Old
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Says the American *cough*1996 and 2002*cough*
Well, if Canada adds about 250 million people and bribes the IOC, they've got a good chance of hosting in 2020.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:31 PM
FakeKidPoker*

I don't think Toronto could host a Summer games. Should stick to the smaller events like the Pan Ams.

This is good news.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Well, if Canada adds about 250 million people and bribes the IOC, they've got a good chance of hosting in 2020.
This is all that is required.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Dado

vCash:
Personally I find the summer olympics a yawn-fest. Sports and, most importantly, fans, I find much more entertaining in the winter games.

But honestly...having attended my first Olies in '84 and my last in 2010...none of it is near as much fun as it used to be. Athletes are too serious, security is too serious, it's all just...too serious.

Old
08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Canada would get embarrassed in a summer Olympics.
Stick to what you are decent with.
Winter.
England is going to get "embarrassed" in the upcoming Olympics and they're still hosting it...

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
htpwn

Unfortunately, our mayor is clearly not much of an opportunist (or anything for that matter, but that is another story). The situation that has unfolded has left Toronto as one of the frontrunners, a position that we will likely give up if we wait past 2020.

I understand the costs are heavy but it also brings a lot of positive. It puts the city on a pedestal for 2 weeks, brings out civic pride, and probably most importantly, forces governments to invest in our city. It not only builds stadiums and venues, but provides an incentive to develop areas like the Portlands, improve road infrastructure, and maybe, just maybe, will allow us to build that DRL that is going to be needed to reduce crowding on the YUS Subway line.

What is most frustrating about this is that, knowing the Fords, the rejection probably came right out of hand, that's just how they operate. It is kind of funny actually... they claim that the Toronto is no position to be spending money on the Olympics, but are fine with proposing a $2 billion subway extension to nowhere and an NFL stadium for a city that doesn't care about football (which, ironically, has the best hope of being built as an Olympic Stadium). Don't even get me started on the 'logic' of building an underground LRT...

Speaking of bribes, the COC should have just brought a box of Tim Hortons donuts to Rob and Doug's office (who's the mayor again, I forget? I could have sworn Doug was a city Councillor and nothing more) and looked the other way.

Last edited by htpwn: 08-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.
htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:00 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier View Post
England is going to get "embarrassed" in the upcoming Olympics and they're still hosting it...
Britain won 47 medals in the last Olympics. They probably won't do that well in 2012 but they aren't going to pull a Canada in 1976 type performance.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
the ratings show the winter games are peanuts. Toronto deserves better.
Then why is Toronto hosting the rinky-dink Pan Am Games in 2015?

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:29 PM
saskganesh

This is a good decision. Toronto has a lot of issues right now, starting with the city's leadership. I would not want les freres Fords anywhere near this kind of potential boondoggle.

They should stick to what they good at: class warfare .

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Then why is Toronto hosting the rinky-dink Pan Am Games in 2015?
Because Miller wanted to.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Melrose Munch

I wonder why Canada gets is ass kicked. Maybe because we invest too little in our athletes. Or maybe we focus too much on hockey.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Confucius

[QUOTE=tarheelhockey;35880659]It would seem pointless to bid right after your country just hosted one. You're pretty much guaranteed to get passed over... why waste the money and effort?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Toronto is broke, the city should focus on paying off debt. Just today I read where the Mayor claimed if he can't layoff a pile of city workers, taxes may go up 30 to 35%. Needless to say I'd be pissed if they spent over a billion on the summer Olympics.

I don't buy all the spinoff money thing, mainly because many cities if not all in the recent past that hosted the games. Cry poor when the games end.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Unfortunately, our mayor is clearly not much of an opportunist (or anything for that matter, but that is another story). The situation that has unfolded has left Toronto as one of the frontrunners, a position that we will likely give up if we wait past 2020.

I understand the costs are heavy but it also brings a lot of positive. It puts the city on a pedestal for 2 weeks, brings out civic pride, and probably most importantly, forces governments to invest in our city. It not only builds stadiums and venues, but provides an incentive to develop areas like the Portlands, improve road infrastructure, and maybe, just maybe, will allow us to build that DRL that is going to be needed to reduce crowding on the YUS Subway line.

What is most frustrating about this is that, knowing the Fords, the rejection probably came right out of hand, that's just how they operate. It is kind of funny actually... they claim that the Toronto is no position to be spending money on the Olympics, but are fine with proposing a $2 billion subway extension to nowhere and an NFL stadium for a city that doesn't care about football (which, ironically, has the best hope of being built as an Olympic Stadium). Don't even get me started on the 'logic' of building an underground LRT...

Speaking of bribes, the COC should have just brought a box of Tim Hortons donuts to Rob and Doug's office (who's the mayor again, I forget? I could have sworn Doug was a city Councillor and nothing more) and looked the other way.
The are a lot of NFL fan htpwn. But that's not the point. Toronto would have won the bid. in 2024 we are up against Copenhagen, Paris, Durban SA and St Petes Russia etc? Toronto is not better than anyone of those cities.

But hey, at least you got respect for taxpayers.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I don't think Toronto could host a Summer games. Should stick to the smaller events like the Pan Ams.

This is good news.

You expect us to believe you are not biased.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
I'd like the Summer games if Canada didn't suck in them. We kick ass in the winter, and I like watching games where we actually have a shot at getting a medal. In the Summer games we get our ***** kicked by the Americans, Chinese, Africans, etc.

Yeah I'm biased.

P.S. I would kill for Calgary to host again. I live here and I've dreamed of seeing this up close. Calgary 2022!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Personally I find the summer olympics a yawn-fest. Sports and, most importantly, fans, I find much more entertaining in the winter games.

But honestly...having attended my first Olies in '84 and my last in 2010...none of it is near as much fun as it used to be. Athletes are too serious, security is too serious, it's all just...too serious.
Canada is very good at being second tier. Forget the fact we got owned in the first week of the games.