HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix XXXVIII: Hulsizer Pulls Bid For Coyotes; UPD 2 unnamed interested buyers

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
It will be interesting to see how long it takes for this "mystery parties" identity to surface. If I recall corectly Hulsizer's name was out in a week or two when he was a previous "mystery party". Any of the local Yotes fans on here with any guesses? The longer the mystery lingers the poorer the season ticket sales will be if there is indeed a link between ownership and ticket sales.
The sarcastic me says Jim Balsillie.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
C77

I just can't believe there is going to be another entire year of twisting in the wind for Coyotes fans.

Without a buyer, the attendance will probably be terrible which, in addition to the negative press, will just make it less attractive to a prospective buyer.

This looks hopeless.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Puckschmuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
The sarcastic me says Jim Balsillie.

You need to change your avatar pic, man.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Yes! More Phoenix threads!

Really though, I think the writing is the on the wall for the Coyotes to move. Without Bryzgalov, they won't be a contender next season. Will COG continue funding a non-playoff team considering playoff games were the highest attended of the year?

No wonder the NHL is expecting massive realignment in 2012.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
I think MH pulled his bid weeks ago when the rumors were first flying around and when he was shamed into attending a playoff game. I think the NHL asked him to keep quiet until after the ATL sale.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I just can't believe there is going to be another entire year of twisting in the wind for Coyotes fans.

Without a buyer, the attendance will probably be terrible which, in addition to the negative press, will just make it less attractive to a prospective buyer.

This looks hopeless.
Man, that's the exact wrong reaction for a market to take in this case, unless the locals want to make the team as hard as possible to sell. The fans need to rally around the cause and snap up ST's and walkups. If the market looks like it doesn't care (note I said looks not just doesn't) why would a potential owner care to put his capital at risk?

Get out the credit card and get at it hockey fans (those prices in PHX can't be beat!).

Old
06-27-2011, 09:16 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
I think MH pulled his bid weeks ago when the rumors were first flying around and when he was shamed into attending a playoff game. I think the NHL asked him to keep quiet until after the ATL sale.
That could be a possibility! No matter what though, my hate for the nHL has gone up even more in all of this as the league deserves just as much for the blame in this cluster****.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
This is probably more truth then lies

Old
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Man, that's the exact wrong reaction for a market to take in this case, unless the locals want to make the team as hard as possible to sell. The fans need to rally around the cause and snap up ST's and walkups. If the market looks like it doesn't care (note I said looks not just doesn't) why would a potential owner care to put his capital at risk?

Get out the credit card and get at it hockey fans (those prices in PHX can't be beat!).
I have to agree with you on this. As a Coyotes Steason Ticket Holder, it sickens my to no end how clueless so many of the casual and fair-weather fans in this market are. They all fail to understand that this is a business and not a charity. All of them want a winning team but they expect to pay little or nothing to attend except come playoff time. If the people in this dame market would step up and sellout the damn place, more people will be interested in buying the Coyotes and wont have to ask so much from Glendale in the process.

The market deserves a good about of the blame and its a shame that our own local media wont rip into the market for its lack of loyality towards all the pro sports teams through the worst of times.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
GWI- 1 COG - 0

Scoreboard Bettman, Scoreboard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
True professionals they just show up no need to act.
If this was soccer, that would have been an "own goal" by the COG to give GWI the win.

By the way, when do folks who are advocating for Houston, KC and QC get labeled as deplorable "relocationists"?

Old
06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
blues10

TSN chimes in......briefly

Quote:
I understand that the City of Glendale has decided to pursue an alternative deal structure with one or more other potential purchasers," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told TSN.
Hulsizer's decision leaves no publicly identified potential buyer for the franchise, which was purchased by the NHL out of bankruptcy in the fall of 2009.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370198

Old
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Bob1321

Ok, many of you didnt know really well Quebec case!

First: The arena is legal and the work have already started, but no breaking ground yet

Second: The problem is between the city and Quebecor( who want the team), They agree to a deal who they need to sign before september 7. The problem is 2 [mod del] persons( minority) said the deal is illegal and go in court

the project is on ice because of these 2 stupid persons

The provincial gouvernement will pass a rule on this deal in automn
sorry for my bad english

Last edited by LadyStanley: 06-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Whileee

It is really hard to know where the Phoenix ownership saga will go now. Reinsdorf's previous deal (MOU), when the situation seemed much more positive, relied heavily on a CFD built around Westgate to subsidize both the purchase price and the annual operating losses. That appears very unlikely to fly now. Even if Reinsdorf or another party decided to purchase both Westgate and the Coyotes, the prospect of trying to cross-subsidize with two financially fragile entities seems like a long shot.

At this point, I would speculate that for a deal to get done Glendale and the NHL are going to have to consider a true "out" clause for a prospective owner that will permit the owners to relocate if certain attendance / financial objectives aren't met. In that case there will be a substantial onus on Coyotes fans to commit to support the team through the purchase of season tickets.

The only other option might be for the NHL to greatly reduce the purchase price of the team. But if they were willing to do that I would have expected Hulsizer to be able to close a deal and not walk away. His departure from the scene suggests to me that the NHL has remained intransigent in the purchase price.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I have to agree with you on this. As a Coyotes Steason Ticket Holder, it sickens my to no end how clueless so many of the casual and fair-weather fans in this market are. They all fail to understand that this is a business and not a charity. All of them want a winning team but they expect to pay little or nothing to attend except come playoff time. If the people in this dame market would step up and sellout the damn place, more people will be interested in buying the Coyotes and wont have to ask so much from Glendale in the process.

The market deserves a good about of the blame and its a shame that our own local media wont rip into the market for its lack of loyality towards all the pro sports teams through the worst of times.
I remember in the late 80's and early 90's when the troubles in WPG were getting started the ownership raised the alarm bells about the situation and started ST drives to keep the team afloat, there was some grumbling from the usual local suspects but the community got together and snapped up enough tix to keep the team going until a new building and lease arrangement could be put in place (we all know how that wound up in the end).

I agree the media NEED to get on this, the team NEEDS to sound the alarm bells and GET A G.D. SHOW THE POTENTIAL OF THE MARKET ST DRIVE DONE!!! 6 to 7 thousand bums in the seats for the first 2/3 of the schedule isn't going to cut it this year.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:43 PM
C77

Quote:

I don't agree. I don't think one can expect people to make a financial commitment to a team that is surrounded by such uncertainty, especially in a bad economy.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:46 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:

I agree the media NEED to get on this, the team NEEDS to sound the alarm bells and GET A G.D. SHOW THE POTENTIAL OF THE MARKET ST DRIVE DONE!!! 6 to 7 thousand bums in the seats for the first 2/3 of the schedule isn't going to cut it this year.
I just don't care anymore.

The team is not worth saving. Not to have them be under the CoGs incompetence. This one is wired for relocation, just like the Atlanta situation. Every party involved is doing their damnedest to make it look like it isn't, like they are desperate, but they really aren't. MH realized that CoG was going to continue destroying the asset by delaying a deal to the point where the relationship with the fans would be impossible to repair. So he pulled out, wisely.

I hope wherever they land takes care of them. Don't let politics kill the team.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:49 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
I don't agree. I don't think one can expect people to make a financial commitment to a team that is surrounded by such uncertainty, especially in a bad economy.
This. Why should I shell out for a team that has no owner only because of the City of Glendale? For a team that is under league control, that isn't allowed to sign any big name players or make any sort of meaningful move. A team that has slowly fallen apart to the point where we've lost our #1 center, arguably our best defenseman in Michalek and now Bryzgalov to this uncertainty. I'm not going to pay for a team that is clearly heading into a lame duck season.

The Phoenix market doesn't tolerate poorly run organizations or losing. There are too many options here for entertainment. The Suns, D'Backs and Cardinals have all had attendance problems when they were mired in losing seasons. The Coyotes are no different, apart from the fact they had zero history to draw upon and absolutely zero success in a non-traditional hockey market.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
lockstock

Quote:
The phrase "throw away good money after bad" comes to mind. The time for anything to be done was 2 seasons ago. We've lost some of our best players over the last 2 years. There's just too much fatigue at this point. Everyone was waiting for the imminent ownership deal to close. Free agency is here and we still have no owner. If the deal gets done, it's too little, too late. I hope they go to Houston, Portland, Seattle, or San Diego.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
LeftCoast

Somethings never die.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
I don't see how they can get a deal done in Glendale with anybody. NHL will eventually say, we are leaving.

Maybe go to Kansas City on a temporary basis until Quebec arena is built.
How about Hamilton? Test/Showcase the market and the effect on both Buffalo an Toronto and then move to QC once the arena is ready all the while recouping any losses from the lucrative southern Ontario market.

If Hamilton works for the NHL then put the expansion franchise up for auction while Copps is renovated (or replaced).

Old
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
That's the kind of attitude that will have the team kicking bricks. Look at it this way, you put out say $2K for tix at the end of the year you've seen 41 games and gotten your value out of the money spent. You aren't screwed out of anything, in fact say somehow the team goes tit's up halfway through the season if you paid with your credit card you'd get reimbursed for the balance of the season.

From the owners perspective, you're gonna put out say $100MM when the fans aren't filling the seats (lets say half full (after freebies and extra discounted tix)) with the excuse that "oooohhhh there's too much uncertainty" and the ticket price is half what it needs to be. What would you think, this city LOVES this team and will fill the building after I double the prices, or OMG what the **** would I do with this mess the team is only generating 1/4 of the ticket revenue it should (and needs) (1/2 full and 1/2 price is 1/4 revenue). In my opinion (and that of the potential buyers so far after trying to get the CoG to take all the risk) is RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY FAST!!!

The only thing the fans can do to save this situation is buy the damned tickets and fill the house, that is what will speak to the buyers out there. Economy be damned, the team is there now, after the economy turns around do you want to look around and say, "wow it sure would be great to get another hockey team and be a four league town again!" or to have gotten through the dark days by pulling together and supporting the 'Yotes?

It really is up to the locals in the end at this point to do something to make an attempt to get this done. It may not work (it didn't in WPG in the 90's), but if the locals don't try in this situation it will just add more salt to the earth for any future attempts to bring a team there.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Two words: Quebec City.

"Jim Balsillie" is also two words. Is he forgiven yet? -- could be done in a hurry if needed.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
That's the kind of attitude that will have the team kicking bricks. Look at it this way, you put out say $2K for tix at the end of the year you've seen 41 games and gotten your value out of the money spent.
There aren't enough masochists in Arizona to pay $2k to watch the Jason LOLBarbra show. Sorry.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
That could be a possibility! No matter what though, my hate for the nHL has gone up even more in all of this as the league deserves just as much for the blame in this cluster****.
My sympathies. Truly.

I naively ventured on the AZCentral board two years ago to suggest that this very sentiment towards the NHL is where Coyotes fans would likely end up, only to be roundly abused beyond belief.

I thought the NHL would try to take advantage of the situation, but I never imagined how compliant the City of Glendale would be in trying to fork over money to the league in a failed effort to keep the arena filled.

Those whole this is quite amazing, from beginning to end, and I think you're on the right track here, Legend.

The NHL could have solved the problem long ago in any one of a dozen different ways. I suppose the most straightforward would have been to take a big haircut on the sale price, thereby eating a lot of the losses, as a necessary step to preserve the Phoenix market, which really should have been a long-term asset for the league. However, it just isn't in them to see things long-term, or to forego a short-term profit no matter what the consequences.

One only hopes they haven't permanently poisoned the well for hockey fans in Arizona.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
OthmarAmmann
Omnishambles

I still place a fair bit of blame on the CoG. They should never have walked on JR last year.

Closed Thread