Notices

Flames shopping Kiprusoff

Old
06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

vCash: 50
What the **** is this ****?

Am I the only one who thinks this is some kind of lame attempt by Jock Wilson to become relevant in non football sports media?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Deen

Ship Kipper and sign Richards. The Calgary tower can handle the responsibility with Irving and if it doesn't work out in net we have Ortio. We could get a ton os assets when looking at Bryzgalov's contract. I don't wanna see Kipper steal 9th for us again.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:20 AM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
This whole thread is ****ed

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Deen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
This whole thread is ****ed
More like realistic.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:25 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
More like realistic.
No ****ed. Why the hell would Calgary trade Kipper. They will be a bottom feeder without Kipper right away. His cap hit is not that high and the NMC clause comes off after this season. Not sure what all the drama is about! Sure as hell better than that absolutely ****ed deal Philly gave Ilya and nothing near the albatros of 7uongo.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

You'd think that if this "rumour" had any credibility, they'd have shopped him to Philly (pre-Bryzgalov) to try and pick up either Carter or Richards.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
You'd think that if this "rumour" had any credibility, they'd have shopped him to Philly (pre-Bryzgalov) to try and pick up either Carter or Richards.
Exactly. Why the hell would Philly sign that insane contract with Bryz when the could have had Kipper who only has 3 years left, one of them @ 1.5. Much less risk.

The Gnome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
No ****ed. Why the hell would Calgary trade Kipper. They will be a bottom feeder without Kipper right away. His cap hit is not that high and the NMC clause comes off after this season. Not sure what all the drama is about! Sure as hell better than that absolutely ****ed deal Philly gave Ilya and nothing near the albatros of 7uongo.
Kiprusoff has had one good season in the past four. The other three seasons he's been league average, at best, in save percentage. He's not worth the contract at this stage, and could be replaced by any number of UFA goaltenders. If the Flames can trade his chain-smoking ass for any futures, I support that trade.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
RA9

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Kiprusoff has had one good season in the past four. The other three seasons he's been league average, at best, in save percentage. He's not worth the contract at this stage, and could be replaced by any number of UFA goaltenders. If the Flames can trade his chain-smoking ass for any futures, I support that trade.
What? Sure he's been league average in save percentage and other stats, but he has stole so many games for the Flames in his tenure here. Without him, The Flames might as well be in the same position as the Oilers.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolWhipped View Post
What? Sure he's been league average in save percentage and other stats, but he has stole so many games for the Flames in his tenure here. Without him, The Flames might as well be in the same position as the Oilers.
Ah no. He's not garbage by any means, but the Flames record won't be much worse if he leaves (well with him AND Regehr gone it could be worse). He's living off his past reputation at this point. He still makes some spectacular saves but he gives up an inordinate number of lousy goals too.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Exactly. Why the hell would Philly sign that insane contract with Bryz when the could have had Kipper who only has 3 years left, one of them @ 1.5. Much less risk.
(1) They think Bry is better, and Kipper has a higher cap hit:

(2) They got tons of great stuff for Richards/Carter;

(3) They wanted a goaltender for more than 2 years. Kipper won't play for $1.5M.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:24 PM
RA9

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Ah no. He's not garbage by any means, but the Flames record won't be much worse if he leaves (well with him AND Regehr gone it could be worse). He's living off his past reputation at this point. He still makes some spectacular saves but he gives up an inordinate number of lousy goals too.
I don't think the Flames would have made that play off run without the way Kipper was playing. Yeah he was really lousy at the start of the season, but he turned it around like the rest of the team did after Christmas. Oh well, I'm excited to see Karlsson and/or Irving take reigns after Kipper.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
In all seriousness, I could see something like a Kipper & Hagman package going to the Panthers. Regehr's potential return should of been bigger than what I would expect from dealing Kipper, so I wouldn't expect the return here to be very much. I would rather just keep Kipper and not see him traded for that reason.
What? Why wouldnt've the Panthers sign Vokoun for less than the $8M Kiprusoff/Hagman monster and keep the prospects and picks. Kiprusoff does nothing for them.

Kiprusoff is traded at the trade deadline if the Flames are 10th or worse.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Northern Neighbour

Is there even a market for Kiprusoff? There aren't many teams in need of goaltending other than Colorado, Florida, and Tampa Bay. Washington I guess could be interested, but the Flames would have to take back substantial salary in return.

Depending on the return, I would be fine if Kiprusoff is dealt as long as the club received fair value in return. The club would also need to find another goaltender to compete with Karlsson and Irving. Come to think about it, Washington could be a very good fit as they could offer one of Varlamov or Neuvirth and possibly a young player like Fehr or Alzner.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:18 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post
What? Why wouldnt've the Panthers sign Vokoun for less than the $8M Kiprusoff/Hagman monster and keep the prospects and picks. Kiprusoff does nothing for them.

Sure, if Vokoun stays. There are mixed reports as to whether or not that is going to happen.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post

Because they need to reach the cap floor. I'm not saying they do it but that would the reason if they did.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolWhipped View Post
I don't think the Flames would have made that play off run without the way Kipper was playing. Yeah he was really lousy at the start of the season, but he turned it around like the rest of the team did after Christmas. Oh well, I'm excited to see Karlsson and/or Irving take reigns after Kipper.
He was pretty mediocre all year. The Flames were killed by shooting percentages early in the season, then when those bounced back, they scored a ton and climbed into the playoff bubble for a bit; it had nothing to do with Kipper. He's seriously the reason they didn't make the playoffs last season, not one of the reasons they might've.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Internazionale

Karlsson is not a number 1 and Irving isn't ready to make the jump. NEXT!

Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Karlsson is not a number 1 and Irving isn't ready to make the jump. NEXT!
Thats for the coaches to decide not you.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
brewski1810

kipper

i dont think kipper is washed up, he did let in some bad goals last season, and you could argue he has been regressing slowly over last couple years, but he is still a good goaltender, if he gets traded i would think its at the trade deadline after the flames see where they are at.

altho i would support him getting traded, this team needs to continue the youth movement, so if we can snag a good return for him, i would be for it.

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:14 PM
BenThatcher

Kipper is going nowhere until trade deadline day 2013, when the Flames are out of the playoffs and he'll have one year left on a deal with a huge cap hit but an actual salary of only 1.5 million. These are the types of contracts that teams like Florida are looking to pick up, not Kotalik's!

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
CoRD
GO BRUINS GO!!

If the price is right, you'd be stupid not to. Trading Kipper could/would be the culture change this team badly needs. I have a feeling there is too much "Oh don't worry, Kipper will stop it" type mentality that goes on with this team, and has for a very long time. The team seemed to play very good with Karlsson in net too. I am not opposed to it as long as we get a good return. Otherwise, hell no.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
have a feeling there is too much "Oh don't worry, Kipper will stop it" type mentality that goes on with this team, and has for a very long time.
Very true. It wouldn't be wrong to say that a lot of people (myself included) are still a little blinded by some of his better years.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
If the price is right, you'd be stupid not to. Trading Kipper could/would be the culture change this team badly needs. I have a feeling there is too much "Oh don't worry, Kipper will stop it" type mentality that goes on with this team, and has for a very long time. The team seemed to play very good with Karlsson in net too. I am not opposed to it as long as we get a good return. Otherwise, hell no.
I don't even know about that mentality, though. I mean, we can speculate, but the Flames were something like 3rd or 4th best in the league in terms of shots against last season. There's not a lot in terms of context for that number, but it doesn't read like he's being hung out to dry (especially with all the shots Gio and Babchuk were blocking).

I do think it might help with a culture shift, but really my main concern is just his cap hit versus his ability. I won't complain if he has another miraculous year next season if he's still on the team, but he just doesn't seem to be up to the task anymore.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:12 AM
MVW

I don't consider Jock Wilson that reliable of a source when it comes to the Stampeders, so I don't take anything he says about the Flames all that serious.

Unless the Flames have another plan in place and secured, trading Kipper would be a huge mistake. It would signify a total rebuild and would be contradictory to why they just signed Tanguay long term. We would guaranteed be among the bottom feeders in the league. Karlsson is not ready and neither is Irving, and there are bunch of other teams that are looking for a starting goaltender as well. Feaster may be seeing whats out there, but I doubt he is actively shopping him.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote