HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valeri Bure

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2004, 10:17 PM
  #1
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Valeri Bure

Alright, first off, I'm not really a fan of him, but he hasn't been qualified, and is a good goal scorer. We'd have to make a spot for him by ridding ourselves or someone on the roster elsewhere, but I'm sure that wouldn't be to much of a problem.

So do you think the Oilers should at least consider him as an option. I think he could be had for around $1 million in this offseason(other's probably more around $3 though) so it may be a good time to get a pure offense guy like him. I do remember at one time their were trade rumours involving him and I seem to remember Lowe or someone confirming they had interest or something to that extent. Now they can get him without giving anything other than his salary. Is he worth it? Do you think there's any point to it? Do you think the Oilers would do it even? Say for instance Isbister was to Phoenix for a pick, it makes it a lot easier to just give Hemsky PP time and develop on the 4th line(although a lot of people detest that idea).

Smyth-(hopefully)Nedved-Dvorak
Torres-York-Bure
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Horcoff/Rita-Stoll-Laraque/Rita

We'd have one defensive liability on each the top 2 lines, but with 2 solid 2 way guy's on each line to help out. Or throw Nedved with Bure, but then, IMO, we'd really have to work on line matching and keeping them away from guy's like Modano, Forsberg, etc.

EDIT: But once again, I am not in favour of this idea myself, just throwing it out there for discussion.

Jamie is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 10:29 PM
  #2
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
no love for hemsky?

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 10:43 PM
  #3
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Alright, first off, I'm not really a fan of him, but he hasn't been qualified, and is a good goal scorer. We'd have to make a spot for him by ridding ourselves or someone on the roster elsewhere, but I'm sure that wouldn't be to much of a problem.

So do you think the Oilers should at least consider him as an option. I think he could be had for around $1 million in this offseason(other's probably more around $3 though) so it may be a good time to get a pure offense guy like him. I do remember at one time their were trade rumours involving him and I seem to remember Lowe or someone confirming they had interest or something to that extent. Now they can get him without giving anything other than his salary. Is he worth it? Do you think there's any point to it? Do you think the Oilers would do it even? Say for instance Isbister was to Phoenix for a pick, it makes it a lot easier to just give Hemsky PP time and develop on the 4th line(although a lot of people detest that idea).

Smyth-(hopefully)Nedved-Dvorak
Torres-York-Bure
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Horcoff/Rita-Stoll-Laraque/Rita

We'd have one defensive liability on each the top 2 lines, but with 2 solid 2 way guy's on each line to help out. Or throw Nedved with Bure, but then, IMO, we'd really have to work on line matching and keeping them away from guy's like Modano, Forsberg, etc.

EDIT: But once again, I am not in favour of this idea myself, just throwing it out there for discussion.
Where's Hemsky in your lineup?

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 10:48 PM
  #4
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
I hate the idea of Bure being here. I don't think he'd fit in with the team at all, and despite his ability to net a few, he brings few qualities that the team needs.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 11:09 PM
  #5
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,178
vCash: 500
I would rather play Dvorak and Hemsky, along with Pisani and Laraque. Rita can also be moved to RW if need be. Bure has shown that he's inconsistent and fairly soft at times. He "broke out" with that one great season in Calgary before slowly dropping off in terms of production. This is not to say he's a bad player. He can still score and provide offense at the NHL level. He's a useful and workable player to have, but I don't think he would fit on the Oilers.

I do think the Oilers should get a legitimate RW. We've been lacking one since Guerin left. Someone who can take a pass and score with one shot. Dvorak has many intangibles and qualities that are good to have, and he would make a perfect 2nd line RW. This would allow us to play Hemsky on the third line instead of pressuring him on the top 2 (like Ottawa with Havlat). But the RW problem isn't THAT pressing yet (we need a #1 C, and Nedved is becoming less and less likely to be that player).

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 11:13 PM
  #6
Oilers Ent
Registered User
 
Oilers Ent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
I would rather play Dvorak and Hemsky, along with Pisani and Laraque. Rita can also be moved to RW if need be. Bure has shown that he's inconsistent and fairly soft at times. He "broke out" with that one great season in Calgary before slowly dropping off in terms of production. This is not to say he's a bad player. He can still score and provide offense at the NHL level. He's a useful and workable player to have, but I don't think he would fit on the Oilers.

I do think the Oilers should get a legitimate RW. We've been lacking one since Guerin left. Someone who can take a pass and score with one shot. Dvorak has many intangibles and qualities that are good to have, and he would make a perfect 2nd line RW. This would allow us to play Hemsky on the third line instead of pressuring him on the top 2 (like Ottawa with Havlat). But the RW problem isn't THAT pressing yet (we need a #1 C, and Nedved is becoming less and less likely to be that player).
Carter is available

Oilers Ent is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 11:31 PM
  #7
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Carter is available
Availability doesn't mean usefulness.

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 11:32 PM
  #8
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I hate the idea of Bure being here. I don't think he'd fit in with the team at all, and despite his ability to net a few, he brings few qualities that the team needs.
You're right. The Oilers are a fast-skating team needing a finisher. Bure wouldn't fit in at all.

Bergeron47 is offline  
Old
07-25-2004, 11:39 PM
  #9
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
You're right. The Oilers are a fast-skating team needing a finisher. Bure wouldn't fit in at all.
LOL. I meant with his teammates.

The Oil are a pretty tight knit team (although I'm getting the impression that its less like that than it used to be)... I heard that Bure wasn't the most liked guy in the room while he was in Calgary. He was fairly vocal about the coach wanting him to play better defensively & how it wasn't his style.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
  #10
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
no love for hemsky?
lol, oops... I meant to have him in there on the 4th line, but I guess I kinda forgot... lol

Jamie is offline  
Old
07-26-2004, 06:04 AM
  #11
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,809
vCash: 132
I would avoid Bure like the plague--Remember the problems in Calgary?!

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
07-26-2004, 02:07 PM
  #12
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
ick. I know we have a need for a finisher, but must all finishers play soft?

Master Lok is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.