HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laich signs 6 year, $27M deal ($4.5M cap hit)

Old
06-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
If they keep Laich at $4.5M, get rid of Semin, and then don't bring in a player of similar quality to replace him, McPhee should absolutely lose his job immediately. Also, the disparity between McPhee's apparent ability to negotiate with other GMs and his ability to negotiate with players on his team is absolutely confounding. I guess Fish may do those negotiations, but wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
It's not so much that the Capitals are going to put him at center because of the money they're paying him. More that the money they are now paying him probably precludes their bringing in a center from outside the organization in free agency, and the rest of the (promising) centers are still raw. That leaves Laich.
Right, so, to put it another way, the Capitals may put him at center because of the money they're paying him.

If he is the permanent second-line center, everyone should give up on the Capitals for the next six years.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Hannan next plz.
Agreed. Also think while its a shade of an overpayment, its better he's still on the team.

The cap structure remains intact in light of Semin eventual departure as well as the potential contracts like Knuble off the books.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

I'm happy Laich is coming back, but in all honesty this shows GMGM can't get home-town discounts. Or rather, players aren't willing to take them to stay here.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
If they keep Laich at $4.5M, get rid of Semin, and then don't bring in a player of similar quality to replace him, McPhee should absolutely lose his job immediately. Also, the disparity between McPhee's apparent ability to negotiate with other GMs and his ability to negotiate with players on his team is absolutely confounding. I guess Fish may do those negotiations, but wow.
So you want GM to lose his job without even seeing the results of those moves?

And what comparable players to Laich have been signed for notably less? Lucic, for example, was signed for ~$4.1M per year as an RFA (who wasn't eligible for arbitration) without ever scoring 20 goals or 50 points.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I have no interest in seeing Eric Fehr get traded. Given the opportunity, he can be valuable, just look at his performance at the Winter Classic. The problem is that BB apparently is not a big fan of his.

The trade watch should be as follows:
1. Semin
2. Schultz

Everyone else on the team I'm content with, that includes Chimera for another year and Poti if he can return healthy.
Why not? Ok we get it he scored in the Winter classic. However, he was hurt a chunk of this year and hardly dominant in the playoffs. While I like him, if it brings in an upgrade at 2C or another hardened defenseman I'm all for it.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Can we start the Fehr trade watch now?
Not until he proves himself healthy again after yet another shoulder surgery.

No way he is dealt this offseason IMO. Sometime next season after he returns and shows he is ready? Yeah I could see that depending on what happens this offseason with and the health then of the rest of the wingers.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
This deal seems to tell us that Laich is considered more 'core' than Semin (as he should be).

I wonder if it also indicates he might be considered Knuble's long-term replacement on the top line?
I think that's a fair assessment. I think Laich makes a very good 3rd line center or a quality winger on the 1st or 2nd line. Either way he's a versatile piece to retain.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Smiddletown

Witness the return of the LSB checking line? (Laich-Sjogren-Brouwer).

Smiddletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
SnowBlue

Wait, I have not been following the trades, what happened to Arnott?

Also, it seems a bit high. Could he have gotten that much on the Free Agent Market? Maybe as a center and in that case we should play him as such. If he is a 2nd line winger, it seems a bit of an overpayment.

SnowBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
I think that's a fair assessment. I think Laich makes a very good 3rd line center or a quality winger on the 1st or 2nd line. Either way he's a versatile piece to retain.

I agree with this... if they see him as a center, then he should take the third line, shut down center role. In fact, I think this is a role he's perfect for. If he wants to be a top-6 player, its probably going to be as a wing, especially if MoJo continues to improve. Now if he could just develop some chemistry with Semin and Fehr could stay healthy.... Blah I think we might trade Semin. It'll be interesting to see what kind of return they can get for him.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
I dont recall Laich playing center at all last year. All I remember him doing was taking faceoffs since MJ and Arnott were rather inept. MJ gets a free pass, but jeez did Arnott look slow on the draws to me. I consider a 6.5M cap hit this year, he better be able to carry a friggin scoring line all by himself. It starts as a C.

Semin Laich Brouwer. Swap the wingers if you want.

Learn it, live it, know it, be it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
So you want GM to lose his job without even seeing the results of those moves?

And what comparable players to Laich have been signed for notably less? Lucic, for example, was signed for ~$4.1M per year as an RFA (who wasn't eligible for arbitration) without ever scoring 20 goals or 50 points.
The Lucic contract was absolutely ridiculous when it was signed. I don't care about Laich's production. I don't know if you're the one who always does it, but bring up the numbers again that show his production puts him in the top whatever number of NHLers. I don't care; that doesn't make him a "fringe first-liner" (it may actually be Millhaus I'm thinking of).

There's scoring 25 goals in the regular season (getting half of them playing on the league's best power play) and so on, and then there's scoring the overtime goal that Semin scored against the Rangers in the playoffs. Laich can produce as much as he wants, but he does not have the talent to carry a line, and he does not have the talent to break games. His leadership and intangibles are also very overrated.

If he were being paid $3M and being used as a third-line shutdown center who gets special teams time, I would be thrilled with that. However, this contract is ridiculous and Boudreau is guaranteed to keep using him incorrectly regardless of whether a proper 2LW is an alternative anyway. (Not that he's going to have a shutdown line either way.)

Old
06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Bad deal.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You know I thought of this as well. But he's never been there. Heck chimera got time. Brooks has played more D then RW. Where's the demonstrated versatility in this instance.
While you're correct Laich didn't see a huge amount of time at 1RW (and Chimera probably spent more time there last season), he has definitely spent a meaningful amount of time at 1RW before. Especially after Knuble went down in the playoffs, Laich was the guy to fill in. That's far from the only instance.
If you denote whatever line that Ovechkin was playing on as the 1st line, roughly 5% of last season was spent with Laich on the top line at even strength.

You are correct that he hasn't spent as much time up there as some would expect. In particular when Laich was on the 2nd line, BB would be hesitant to move him up to the first line when Knuble was unavailable or underperforming. He either opted to reunite the SOB line (and given that Laich is pretty clearly behind Semin in the offensive depth chart, not all that surprising), or go with a guy like Chimera. After the additions of Sturm and Arnott, BB was more willing to move Laich up to the 1st line. I'm guessing BB didn't want to remove his 2nd line depth, which he viewed Laich as an essential part of. Once he had more depth (Sturm and Arnott), he was more willing to do that.

Just my .02

Quote:
I have no interest in seeing Alex Semin get traded. Given the opportunity, he can be valuable, just look at his performance against Tampa during the regular season. The problem is that HF apparently is not a big fan of his.

The trade watch should be as follows:
1. Fehr
2. Schultz

Everyone else on the team I'm content with, that includes Chimera for another year and Poti if he can return healthy.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
The Lucic contract was absolutely ridiculous when it was signed. I don't care about Laich's production. I don't know if you're the one who always does it, but bring up the numbers again that show his production puts him in the top whatever number of NHLers. I don't care; that doesn't make him a "fringe first-liner" (it may actually be Millhaus I'm thinking of).

There's scoring 25 goals in the regular season (getting half of them playing on the league's best power play) and so on, and then there's scoring the overtime goal that Semin scored against the Rangers in the playoffs. Laich can produce as much as he wants, but he does not have the talent to carry a line, and he does not have the talent to break games. His leadership and intangibles are also very overrated.

If he were being paid $3M and being used as a third-line shutdown center who gets special teams time, I would be thrilled with that. However, this contract is ridiculous and Boudreau is guaranteed to keep using him incorrectly regardless of whether a proper 2LW is an alternative anyway. (Not that he's going to have a shutdown line either way.)
I'm absolutely the guy that uses stats (You know, actual facts that can't be argued).

Again, what's wrong with that?

How many players in the league are their team's best PK forward, and put up an average of ~20 goals and 50 points?

This paying for ability talk is absurd. You pay for production in professional sports. Laich will still get plenty of time on the PP and put up numbers that will justify his standing in the lineup.

Old
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Why not? Ok we get it he scored in the Winter classic. However, he was hurt a chunk of this year and hardly dominant in the playoffs. While I like him, if it brings in an upgrade at 2C or another hardened defenseman I'm all for it.
Moving Fehr now will bring little in return. Yeah he has had a spell of injuries with his shoulders, one being the freakish injury (collar bone) when he ran into Steckel at the bench, but I also recall a Fehr highlight from two years ago on Super Bowl Sunday (D.C. was snowed in) when he went to the net against the Penguins and scored that started the comeback. Fehr needs to be given the opportunity.

I think Semin's performance/behavior in the waning minutes of game 4 against TB that resulted in the negative comments from the Russian National Team Coach will be his death knell (I hope) as a Capital. He's a talent but with issues. Now that Laich's signed up, the FA market for forwards is thinning and Brad Richards is probably licking his chops at what Laich got, so Semin's trade value may have risen a bit.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yes I do. Maybe $3.5 if you are feeling really generous but nothing more. I don't deny his numbers and his contract are fine but there is a difference between what your numbers say you deserve and what your actual abilities are worth.

His abilities are nowhere close to deserving of that contract and if Semin is dealt away as so many want and is not replaced with another without a doubt 1st line player for Laich to play with the Caps are going to be stuck paying $4.5 mil per to a 3rd line talent who actually produces to his talent level.
I would agree with a $3.5 million deal--if the cap ceiling was $56 million like it was. What you have to understand is that the rising salary cap also raises market value--the Capitals would have had to pay as much or more for a player on Laich on the open market to replace him with a veteran. Remember, we're talking about a consistent 20-goal (despite his dip last season) top 6 complimentary winger who plays important roles on the special teams.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

If he's going to be the 2C, then they better get two 4M ground and pounders on his wing and just go dump and chase with garbage goals.

The Times post with assurances from Caps management that "changes will be made" just really open up this thought.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The money is startling compared to the recent past, but the extent of the offseason's salary cap spike has kind of caught everyone off guard. I have a feeling the rest of free agency is going to similarly speak to a free agency climate that is generous. Everyone has more breathing room. Stars have always got paid, but this has to be one of the best UFA years to be a mid-tier free agent in some time. That so many of these guys are now UFAs at 27 instead of 31 just magnifies teams' largesse on term.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:22 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Moving Fehr now will bring little in return. Yeah he has had a spell of injuries with his shoulders, one being the freakish injury (collar bone) when he ran into Steckel at the bench, but I also recall a Fehr highlight from two years ago on Super Bowl Sunday (D.C. was snowed in) when he went to the net against the Penguins and scored that started the comeback. Fehr needs to be given the opportunity.

I think Semin's performance/behavior in the waning minutes of game 4 against TB that resulted in the negative comments from the Russian National Team Coach will be his death knell (I hope) as a Capital. He's a talent but with issues. Now that Laich's signed up, the FA market for forwards is thinning and Brad Richards is probably licking his chops at what Laich got, so Semin's trade value may have risen a bit.
I didn't say I did not like the guy, but if he's part of trade that leads to an upgrade, I'm fine with it.

As for Semin being traded, I think the notion that there is no one out there other than Richards makes a post-July 1st trade of Semin more likely. Heck, GMGM may have shake deal already in place with a team, conditional on the fact that the other team is unable to sign a guy like Richards.

Should be interesting.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBlue View Post
Wait, I have not been following the trades, what happened to Arnott?

Also, it seems a bit high. Could he have gotten that much on the Free Agent Market? Maybe as a center and in that case we should play him as such. If he is a 2nd line winger, it seems a bit of an overpayment.
Nothing on the arnott front yet. He's a UFA and that doesn't start till Friday.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I'm absolutely the guy that uses stats (You know, actual facts that can't be argued).

Again, what's wrong with that?

How many players in the league are their team's best PK forward, and put up an average of ~20 goals and 50 points?

This paying for ability talk is absurd. You pay for production in professional sports. Laich will still get plenty of time on the PP and put up numbers that will justify his standing in the lineup.
What's wrong with it is that, while stats can't be argued, their context and meaning can be. The problem is that Laich does not have the talent to be a primary offensive contributor, he is streaky and inconsistent, and his ever-lauded versatility doesn't really come into play so much on offense; he's not capable of being an offensive center. I would like the Capitals to acquire someone who is, and I think some of this money could have been much better spent that way.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
What's wrong with it is that, while stats can't be argued, their context and meaning can be. The problem is that Laich does not have the talent to be a primary offensive contributor, he is streaky and inconsistent, and his ever-lauded versatility doesn't really come into play so much on offense; he's not capable of being an offensive center. I would like the Capitals to acquire someone who is, and I think some of this money could have been much better spent that way.
Good thing he isn't being paid like a primary offensive contributor then.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont recall Laich playing center at all last year..
it happened several times. at least twice for several games at a time. just like the season before.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

My: Appreciate feedback. I missed a good portion of last season due to travel... including entire Dec slump. But I saw all of playoffs. And I still don't recall ever seeing BL as a RW. But I'm getting older every day.... not Ref9 old.

I just expected to see a lot more, if he was a viable option.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote