HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laich signs 6 year, $27M deal ($4.5M cap hit)

Old
06-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
If he's going to be the 2C, then they better get two 4M ground and pounders on his wing and just go dump and chase with garbage goals.
An easy solution under the circumstances would be Brouwer-Laich-Knuble. Stick Semin either on the top line or with 90. They need more versatile top nine forwards, though. Chimera & Fehr have little lineup versatility and that's a big issue when it comes to finding lines that click or having depth that's actually trusted in heavier roles when need be.

You'd have to think Semin is in the crosshairs at this point but without solidifying those 8/9 forward spots along the way I'm not sure they take much of a step forward overall. Maybe greater discipline helps lead to crisper execution overall and perhaps Eakin or Sjogren earn trust over time but there's definitely work to do sorting out the forward ranks.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Icetime

vCash: 500
Laich and Mike Green both need to buy BB a ferrari.

We overpaid, but Laich would have certainly gotten that contract on the open market in an awful free agent class.

Laich is not worth that much money and term, but he has plenty of value as a player and the the bottom line is we are keeping him.

One less offseason issue to address.

I respect GMGM for rewarding players that rise up the ranks.

If he only knew(anything about hockey) that in reality the clown shoes coaching style of the Simpleton is overblowing these guys actual worth and masking their flaws that would be better, but this is just what Caps fans are going to have to live with for the time being.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

If they plan on using him as a top PKer and center for a checking line, I think a better comparable might be Manny Malhotra, but with more offense. Malhotra was on pace for 34 pts this past year before his eye injury and a lot of people thought his $2.5M cap hit was pretty high. I don't think Laich is worth $2M more than Malhotra. If they see him as a 2C who fills a top PK and PP role, a good comparable would be Kesler. He'll be making only $0.5M less than Kesler who signed a 6-year deal just last year, and that was after a 25g-50a-75pt year. I know the cap went up quite a bit, but think about that for a second. There was absolutely no discount in this deal at all, which is quite surprising for someone who proclaims to have been fixed on coming back.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
My: Appreciate feedback. I missed a good portion of last season due to travel... including entire Dec slump. But I saw all of playoffs. And I still don't recall ever seeing BL as a RW. But I'm getting older every day.... not Ref9 old.I just expected to see a lot more, if he was a viable option.
*******!

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

@ that Penguins fan whose post apparently was deleted?

Backstrom is very underpaid....

Green is underpaid at this point, too, probably, disregarding last season.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
An easy solution under the circumstances would be Brouwer-Laich-Knuble. Stick Semin either on the top line or with 90. They need more versatile top nine forwards, though. Chimera & Fehr have little lineup versatility and that's a big issue when it comes to finding lines that click or having depth that's actually trusted in heavier roles when need be.

You'd have to think Semin is in the crosshairs at this point but without solidifying those 8/9 forward spots along the way I'm not sure they take much of a step forward overall. Maybe greater discipline helps lead to crisper execution overall and perhaps Eakin or Sjogren earn trust over time but there's definitely work to do sorting out the forward ranks.
If they retain Semin, then they have to resign Jason Arnott. Arnott is to Semin the way Hannan is to Green. They improve the others game.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
it happened several times. at least twice for several games at a time. just like the season before.
Oh ok. I am not talking PKing of course. ES. Listed as our starting center in page one of mini GDT's. I for the life of me cant remember many or any. Was it Flash Laich Semin, or Sturm Laich Semin, or? Butter soft, no wonder those failed.

The only time I have seen Laich be difficult to play against, playoff grade, was his repeated run in's with Smith down in Tampa. Maybe it was a coincidence. Ref9 remembers. Too bad he didnt do that to Halak and Rolo. It was knuble or bust, even though that is a part of Laich's game. Or was. He used to play with more of an edge a few years ago. I dont see it at all any more yet think George is looking for that edge type of player.
I think Laich thinks he is a scoring line center. I dont think he has ever succeeded in that role.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
@ that Penguins fan whose post apparently was deleted?

Backstrom is very underpaid....

Green is underpaid at this point, too, probably, disregarding last season.
Backstrom and certainly Green, are not underpaid.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Devil Dancer

Arg, I did not want the Caps to be the team that severely overpaid BL, but here we are.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

AO-NB-AS
Bouwer-Laich-Knubes
Chim-MoJo-Fehr

Uh.... changes... but not.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
AO-NB-AS
Bouwer-Laich-Knubes
Chim-MoJo-Fehr

Uh.... changes... but not.
Patience, the cake is still baking in the oven.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
exwhaler

Huh...somebody pointed me to this. Back in March, the Rock the Red blog did a post on "Brooks Laich's Next Contract":

Quote:
Laich is more versatile than any of his comparables on this list, but he does not necessarily have the same offensive upside as some of them. George McPhee will make Brooks Laich a serious offer to keep him, as Laich does so many things for the team. Especially considering his durability, it would be surprising if Laich got a deal for less than 4 years at $4 million per season, even with the offensive drop-off from last season. For sure, he will stay below the salaries of the Caps big 3 of Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, and Alexander Semin. A likely contract would be 5 years at $21 million ($4.2 million per season), as Laich is a safe bet on and off the ice and does everything well. If the Caps are feeling generous or Laich's agent pushes, he might get 6 years, $27 million ($4.5 million per season), but he'd have to swing the comparison to Martin Erat, and it would be tough if he does not reach 20 goals this season. McPhee is not likely to give Laich a contract that will keep him here past age 34, so 6 years would be the limit. If the Capitals advance to the Stanley Cup Final, Laich could expect to get no less than $5 million per season on the open market, perhaps more.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

If Laich returns to his 20+ goals, 50+ point plateau. I doubt anyone has anything to complain about.

Someone mentioned it, I like Laich as a heir to Knuble on the top line. In his limited time there, he looked a lot more confident and effective. Surprised we don't put him there as often.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:08 PM
exwhaler

Scott Cullen of TSN, tryin' to make us all feel better:

Quote:
Laich 44th in NHL with 85 goals over last four years; Capgeek has 50 forwards with a cap hit of $4.875M or higher.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Yeah, the numbers bear out that Laich is worth more than people give him credit for on here. And outside of the offensive production, he's the team's best PK forward, and one of the better defensive forwards.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I think we'd all be happy if he can continue that output. Its the question of can he, and what does paying another winger "at market rates" do to the rest of the team's makeup.

Then there's many of us questioning his ability to be a 2C.

The clarity isn't there for me. And surprisingly GMGM, being a cautious person who likes flexibility, may have limited his own here.

edit: ex that's freaky!

Old
06-28-2011, 12:16 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
And thats with 16 last year, not to mention his value on the PK. I think its a solid deal if he continues to pick up his play and be 25g scorer like he had been before this last year.

I still think we are in for some trades, and if Semin goes Arnott isn't coming back as 2C

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
The clarity isn't there for me. And surprisingly GMGM, being a cautious person who likes flexibility, may have limited his own here.
The only flexible contract the Caps have signed a core player to is Semin's... though I suppose you can argue that Green's contract had some flexibility built in given that it was for a relatively short term.

Still, how many teams have at least three players signed up fro 6 years?

EDIT: Didn't mean to imply Semin is core, I guess what I meant is a star/significant player

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
I think we'd all be happy if he can continue that output. Its the question of can he, and what does paying another winger "at market rates" do to the rest of the team's makeup.

Then there's many of us questioning his ability to be a 2C.

edit: ex that's freaky!
You could be asking that question to Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, etc. A 180 in scheme is hard for anyone to adjust to, I'd imagine another year in the scheme will make the team as a whole more comfortable. Not to mention Laich had a solid playoffs, 2nd on the team in points.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, the numbers bear out that Laich is worth more than people give him credit for on here. And outside of the offensive production, he's the team's best PK forward, and one of the better defensive forwards.
But but but...he's only as good as the forwards he plays with!!

I don't think anyone can convince me this isn't an ok contract for a pretty decent hockey player. He's missed like what...20 games in the last six full seasons. He's durable, has all the intangibles this team needs to keep going forward as compared to jettisoning.

I'd be in a hell of a lot more up roar if this were Semin signing for six years 6.7 or higher.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Well one part of the disappointment is that "market rates and not a penny more" was the standard again. BL wanted to stay. His agent said he could have got more but probably only from bottom dwellers getting to the floor.

All of the non-monetary positives for Laich staying in DC were worthless... when the standard is market rates. Laich said he wasn't worried. Negotiating with someone who's comfortable isn't negotiating IMHO. Laich had nearly all the leverage. I understand that. But I would have let him hit the market... even in this market.

Its hard to be happy when he gets the same contract as Kessler.... especially after Bieska just got a 4M deal.

Old
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
sk84fun_dc

As far as the limited NTC, 5 teams a contract year he can name to not be traded to is definitely a limited NTC.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Robert Theodorson

With Laich we should at least make the 2nd round of the playoffs

Without him we probably would be knocked out in the first round again

I'm not optimistic at all the way the team is right now, but we are better both in the regular season and the postseason with Laich here.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
The only flexible contract the Caps have signed a core player to is Semin's... though I suppose you can argue that Green's contract had some flexibility built in given that it was for a relatively short term.

Still, how many teams have at least three players signed up fro 6 years?

EDIT: Didn't mean to imply Semin is core, I guess what I meant is a star/significant player
Vancouver's got 4 players at 5+ years.
Chicago has 3 at 5+ years and 2 more at 4 years.
LA has 3 at 5+, with Doughty likely the 4th soon.
Detroit has two at 8+.
Columbus has two at 7+.
Tampa has 5 at 4+, with likely another with Stamkos.

That's about it for teams with notable long-term contracts.

OT: looking up this information, I was slightly shocked to be reminded that Crosby only has two more seasons left on his deal.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
OT: looking up this information, I was slightly shocked to be reminded that Crosby only has two more seasons left on his deal.
We should have enough cap space that summer to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote