HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The 2011-2012 Chicago Wolves Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
Wolves roster starting to get ever fuller.....

Bill Sweat - Cody Hodgson - Darren Haydar (wolves)
Anton Rodin - Andrew Ebbet - Mark Mancari
Darren Archibald - Jordan Schroeder - Steven Pizzotto
Aaron Volpatti - Stefan Schneider - Tim Miller (wolves)

Jann Sauve - Nolan Baumgartner
Ryan Parant - Kevin Connauton
Sebastian Erixon - Mark Matherson (wolves)
Adam Polasek, Taylor Ellington

Eddie Lack

Should be a good season for development as its looking like a good team thus far...
Those 5 guys I am looking forward to seeing BIG TIME.

Cody Hodgson: Seeing how the experience of playing in the SCP effected him, should be really motivated next year, and have a big year in the AHL. Hopefully his foot speed improves.

Anton Rodin: The guy imo is gonna be a top teir 2nd line forward one day in the NHL. He has all the tools, and I think he is gonna be a huge surprise for the wolves, the guy was insane in the WJC in a limited role.

Darren Archibald: Imo the guy who is gonna show the most not only in training camp, but in the ahl. (I actually have him as a 5% chance of making the NHL club next year, that's how high I am on him). I think we have something special here, his style of play reminds me of Iginla, Man i hope he continues to develop.

K-Con: His defensive flaws were well described in the passed few years, but clearly has great offensive instincts. I really hope he learned a lot last year, and shows a more complete game next year. Even tho he is still a gamble, He has raw talent, needs to be harnessed.

Eddie Lack: The guy is a ****ing machine, This guy WILL dominate the ahl next year. He has size, he has strength from post to post. Plays the puck well, never gets to down or high. This guy is the next bright goalie, what a find by gillis. We have something special here, no doubt.

Old
07-04-2011, 04:47 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
The Wolves look like they're shaping up to be a good offensive team, especially if Mancari and Ebbett don't stick in Vancouver. But who would take the No. 1 centre spot then if Hodgson gets sent down? Hodgson or Ebbett? Also a bit surprised that Baumer was willing to leave Winnipeg to play for a year with the prospects, but nice to see that kind of dedication.
Buamer would have had to go to St Johns... maybe he liked the idea of Chicago better?

Old
07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Polasek had better not get shifted down to Victoria, or who ever our other affiliate is now a days. That would be a huge waste of time in his development.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Polasek had better not get shifted down to Victoria, or who ever our other affiliate is now a days. That would be a huge waste of time in his development.
so far being in the Wolves top 7 should leave him with plenty of ice time with injuries/callups. If he slides down to 8th/9th/10th on the depth chart then it would be time for concern.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Placebo Effect

If Polasek performs like he did at training camp last year then I have no concerns of him being sent down to the ECHL. In fact, you're more likely to see a player assigned to another AHL team that needs a D-man than to the ECHL (St. Johns maybe?).

I know Andersson is staying in Europe. I imagine Tommernes will stay in Europe.

Old
07-04-2011, 12:41 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
If Polasek performs like he did at training camp last year then I have no concerns of him being sent down to the ECHL. In fact, you're more likely to see a player assigned to another AHL team that needs a D-man than to the ECHL.

I know Andersson is staying in Europe. Is it confirmed that Tommernes is coming over?
I figured if he played as well as we've seen him it should be no problem, but I always worry someone is going to get unfairly moved down.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
timw33

Is Haydar still on the team?

Damn, we might have a pretty solid AHL team.

Old
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Wetcoaster

According to Ted Gruber who writes a blog called The Instigator that focuses on the Chicago Wolves, the team currently has four players signed to AHL contracts with the latest being Tim Miller.
http://www.chicagonow.com/the-instigator

The four players are:

Kevin Doell - Centre
http://www.chicagowolves.com/release...ing-back-doell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Doell

Mark Matheson - Defence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Matheson
http://www.chicagowolves.com/release...-back-matheson

Darren Haydar - RW
http://www.chicagowolves.com/team/roster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Haydar

Tim Miller - F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Mil...8ice_hockey%29
http://www.chicagonow.com/the-instig...iller-returns/

Old
07-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
It is a little odd.

Big turnover this year of guys who’d been in the system for a long time – Bliznak, Shirokov, Bolduc, Desbiens had all been around in the organization for ages and all leave at once.
Don't forget that Tambellini, Glass and Rypien are gone as well. That's 7 veteran depth forwards out of the system in 1 year. Would have been nice to keep 2 or 3 at least.

Seems like the unintended consequence of the lost Moose affiliation and the Salmon Kings shutting down.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:49 AM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Thanks for this, I've been curious everything Wolves so far. I've seen Doell's name mentioned once before but never put much thought into it as he played two of the last three seasons over in Europe. Seems like a solid third line option for the Wolves, hes won a championship with them. If Hodgson and Ebbet do not make the team their will be good competition for the remaining two centre positions with Doell, Schroeder and Schneider.

I know the players need rest and training but I want the season to get started soon, my interest is already peaking for the upcoming season.

Old
07-05-2011, 02:46 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I was really hoping they would somehow push a team into surrey. The place is growing big time, and the awful reputation it had before is basically gone.

Would be a great place to have a AHL team, guarantee 99% sold out games.
Agree it would be sold out and I would be there on a consistent basis. But I don't think they have an adequate rink.

Love your enthusiasm for the rookies like Archibald and Rodin, but the AHL is big step for these players. I say they struggle and we have to live with the growing pains.

My thoughts on the players after watching them a lot last year.

Connauton - He was brutal much of last year especially in his transition game and coverage in his own end. But with the injuries on the defense, he stuck in the lineup and took his lumps. By the end of the season he had very much improved. He really started to compete and initiate rather than chasing the play and just being reactive.

If he can continue to progress and improve his backward pivoting he becomes a viable prospect.

If he doesn't progress then the Canucks might consider him as a forward because he has a wicked wrist shot.

Sauve - IMO was quite successful year at the AHL level. I think he have a big year next year at the AHL level. On a physical level there is no doubt he can compete. He is a very powerful skater and good in the open ice. He needs to show that he can learn from experience and and improve his play around the net. Gets pushed back into the crease too much and doesn't have very large coverage range around the net. But these are things that can be worked on.

Lack - just outstanding. Maybe with Tanev the best prospect we have. Some of his play in the Calder cup championships was all world. He was the only reason that the Moose could compete last year. In reality the Moose were not a very good team to start with and this situation was made worse by the constant injuries.

Lack is both big and quick and looks fundamentally strong. Has great ability to come out and face the shooter and then quickly scramble back into position in the crease. Also side to side he is very good. Think it would be wise to give Lack another full year to develop but by the year after that he should be with the Canucks. Might be ready right now.

Swett - Has to better string together the periods of good play he had last year. Just not consistent enough. Would have good game and then disappear in the next. Scored some but could have scored a lot more with a better touch around the the net. Has breakaway speed but most often can't complete the play with a goal. First year as a pro so you can't be too negative. However, might be tweener - not enough skill for the top 6 and not enough grit for the bottom 6.

Parent - Most puzzling player in the organization. You wonder how a player with such high end skating and mobility can't move his game up??? You see glimpses of a tremendous ability to get around the ice quickly and efficiently. When he is in motion he looks great. But he tends to get standing around sometimes and falls out of the play. And also he always seems minutes away from another critical injury.

Schneider - ponderously slow and has no offensive potential at all. Has a real knack for killing penalties but that is all. Even here he moves little and relies upon his reach and and positioning rather than any real movement. If Wolves are deep at all he may not be on the team. Fact he got as much time as he did with the Moose last year is an indication of how banged up the team was and how they lacked enough depth to handle this situation. A dubious contract again from our western scouts.

Schroeder - discussed a lot already. Most disappointing prospect we have. Easily eliminated form the play and very bad in his own end. Couple of good performance toward the end of the year give you some hope.

Volpatti - looked good in the playoffs when the going got heavier. His hitting helped turn the first series around. He was hurting people. Has little in the way of stick skills but his skating was more than adequate. Not bad for his first year and still has Ben Eager type potential.

Hodgson - had an excellent spell of hockey just before Xmas but then got hurt and his season fell apart. Needs to develop more of an extra gear to make some space for himself. Ended up too often making hoper plays under pressure such as long shots on net or throwing the puck thru the crease rather than showing any control over the play. Right now it is all about developing his wheels to the point where he can make easier, better and less frantic decisions with the puck. Did show, however, an excellent shot. Get him in the right position with the puck and he can bury it.

Comments by his agent suggest next year is make or break for Hodgson with the Canucks. Sounds like he might balk at being sent down again.

Quite frankly I'm glad Bliznak and Bolduc are gone. Bliznak showed no development last year and went from being a safe player to one that committed very bad turnovers. Bolduc was no better than average and did more yapping than anything else. I don't understand why Phoenix wants anything to do with a player who appears damaged goods and who is so mediocre at the AHL level.

DesBiens has more going for him and was a decent player for the Moose last year. He was one guy who showed up nearly all the time. However, he seemed to lose his former ability to score and blew some open chances in the playoffs. Minor pro player but a half decent one. His loss is inconsequential as far as the Canucks are concerned but he might have helped the Wolves.

Old
07-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

Comments by his agent suggest next year is make or break for Hodgson with the Canucks. Sounds like he might balk at being sent down again.
Never heard of this.. link?

Old
07-05-2011, 04:20 AM
orcatown

Some problems are indicated here. Cody does not seem like a happy camper.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/30815...son-have-here/

Has been some speculation Hodgosn is available

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=927845

Old
07-05-2011, 04:46 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:

Gallager and Hf Toronto is your sources LOL

thats redic

Old
07-05-2011, 06:00 AM
orcatown

Why not read the article before you come on here and make some witless statement.

Gallager is directly quoting Winters.

Winters say:

“I’ve been telling Cody to stay with it, stay positive and that he would score the Cup winning goal,” said Hodgson’s agent Ritch Winter from Philadelphia Thursday where he was shuttling another client Ilya Bryzgalov around Philadelphia and the Flyers practice facility where a meeting with Ed Snider and their coaches was evidently going to take place.

“It didn’t work out that way and I’m waiting for things to cool down before we talk. It’s clearly going to be a challenging situation there.”

Do you understand the difference b/w a direct quote and a writer's opinion?

How difficult is from that comment (not from Gallager but from Winters) is it to say that if Hodgson gets cut again then there could a problem. Winters says it is going to be "challenging situation there" - not Gallagher

Old
07-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
thanks to orcatown for the scouting report post...i don't get to watch alot of moose games so that was very informative

i believe that hodgson article was discussed in depth in another thread...suffice to say, hodgson isn't responsible for what his agent says, but you hope he's not feeding his agent feelings of discontent because he's got injuries and himself to blame for his less than optimal development, not vigneault or the canucks

Old
07-05-2011, 07:07 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Why not read the article before you come on here and make some witless statement.

Gallager is directly quoting Winters.

Winters say:

“I’ve been telling Cody to stay with it, stay positive and that he would score the Cup winning goal,” said Hodgson’s agent Ritch Winter from Philadelphia Thursday where he was shuttling another client Ilya Bryzgalov around Philadelphia and the Flyers practice facility where a meeting with Ed Snider and their coaches was evidently going to take place.

“It didn’t work out that way and I’m waiting for things to cool down before we talk. It’s clearly going to be a challenging situation there.”

Do you understand the difference b/w a direct quote and a writer's opinion?

How difficult is from that comment (not from Gallager but from Winters) is it to say that if Hodgson gets cut again then there could a problem. Winters says it is going to be "challenging situation there" - not Gallagher
I really hope that's not the case as far as Hodgson is concerned. (Not taking issue with your quote, but with Winter's assertion of a challenging situation.)

Cody first and foremost needs to work on his strength and his speed. It doesn't matter if in his own mind he thinks he's the next Gretzky, watching him play it's as clear as day that he's too slow and weak for the NHL, and judging by his point totals the AHL as well.

He obviously has skill though. When he is in the right spot to win the puck he can make nice plays with it and as you said he's got a great shot. Noel mentioned that if Cody had some linemates on the Moose he would have had around 70ish points, but in my mind that's a bit of a leap, and suggests that Cody isn't at the level he needs to be at yet where he can create space and time for himself. If and when he gets to that point, he can start making demands but at this stage of his development he has proven absolutely nothing.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Placebo Effect

The AHL has re-shuffled their divisions and playoffs format.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic: Manchester, Portland, Providence, St. John's, Worcester
Northeast: Adirondack, Albany, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Springfield
East: Binghamton, Hershey, Norfolk, Syracuse, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Western Conference
North: Grand Rapids, Hamilton, Lake Erie, Rochester, Toronto
Midwest: Charlotte, Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Milwaukee
West: Abbotsford, Houston, Texas, San Antonio, Oklahoma City

Old
07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Connecticut

Quote:

Eastern Conference

Western Conference
Sucks for the Wolves to have Charlotte in their division, that's waaaay farther than any other team in the division. You can drive from Milwaukee to Peoria through Rockford in 4 hours, and Peoria is the farthest of those from Chicago and you can do that in under 3 hours (~160 miles). Charlotte is ~800 miles. It's worse for the other teams in the division though, since at least Rockford and Peoria are unlikely to have direct flights to Charlotte. Still better than the Heat though.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
WolfKeeper

It's not bad for Chicago since O'Hare is across the street from the arena and we get all our games televised (whether or not they send a full TV crew is yet to be determined.) Sucks for the rest of the division. Should have been Grand Rapids in their spot.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
Sucks for the Wolves to have Charlotte in their division, that's waaaay farther than any other team in the division. You can drive from Milwaukee to Peoria through Rockford in 4 hours, and Peoria is the farthest of those from Chicago and you can do that in under 3 hours (~160 miles). Charlotte is ~800 miles. It's worse for the other teams in the division though, since at least Rockford and Peoria are unlikely to have direct flights to Charlotte. Still better than the Heat though.
Yeah I, for one, am glad our AHL team is more or less "in the thick of things" over there and not over here in Portland or Seattle or something.

Old
07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Ernie

Quote:

Basically, all you're going on is this quote, dug up by Gallagher:

Quote:
“I've been telling Cody to stay with it, stay positive and that he would score the Cup winning goal,” said Hodgson's agent Ritch Winter from Philadelphia Thursday where he was shuttling another client Ilya Bryzgalov around Philadelphia and the Flyers practice facility where a meeting with Ed Snider and their coaches was evidently going to take place. “It didn't work out that way and I'm waiting for things to cool down before we talk. It's clearly going to be a challenging situation there.”
Know who else had trouble breaking into the lineup these playoffs? Tyler Seguin. Is he going to demand a trade now?

More Gallagher trolling.

Old
07-05-2011, 12:29 PM
adamzilla

Know who else was scratched in the playoffs? Ballard, and he's a HELL of a lot more established in the NHL than Cody.

But with that said, I doubt Cody has mentioned any displeasure with being a part of the Canucks, maybe about losing, but not about being on the Canucks. It's just Winters being an agent trying to get the most money for his client, when the time comes... albeit prematurely since his client has done NOTHING.

Last edited by adamzilla: 07-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
It's not bad for Chicago since O'Hare is across the street from the arena and we get all our games televised (whether or not they send a full TV crew is yet to be determined.) Sucks for the rest of the division. Should have been Grand Rapids in their spot.
Agreed, the Wolves should be in the North, but as PRNuck said, it's better that they're just closer to the other cities in the AHL, rather than being in Abbotsford. The sheer amount of travel would just cut down on time for practising and development.

Thanks to orcatown for the report on the Moose this year. Still feel that Schroeder is better off at centre, where he's most comfortable, for now until he establishes a rhythm and becomes consistent offensively. As for Parent, I would hope that he can get better as there is some potential there. Hopefully more coaching will do him good and reinforce the value of keeping his feet moving.

I also agree about Hodgson, as we saw glimpses of his tendencies you mentioned in the playoffs too. However, the fact that he was able to light it up for a while just before Christmas is a good sign that he can be dominant if sent back.

I would hope that it's just his agent who's posturing and trying to put pressure on MG to get Hodgson into the NHL as soon as possible, as he's likely to be just looking out for his client. But I trust that MG will make the right decision.

Old
07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Eastern Conference

Western Conference
Ted Gruber of The Instigator blog who writes about the Chicago Wolves on the divisional realignments and play-off changes:
This is a different approach to what the division was last year, as there were 9 teams in the West Division, and the top 5 from the division would make the playoffs. With the new division alignment the following rules are applied:

“Eight teams in each conference will qualify for the postseason, with the three division winners earning the top three seeds and the next five best teams in order of regular-season points seeded fourth through eighth.”
http://www.chicagonow.com/the-instig...west-division/

The AHL press release -
http://theahl.com/alignment-p171563

Here is a link to see the NHL affiliations of AHL teams:
http://theahl.com/nhl-affiliations-p171464

Closed Thread