HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Can't figure out why so many people want talbot.
I think it's chicks that dig him.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Rupp is a winger.
He can play as a center, he did it in the playoffs...

Old
06-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I don't want Talbot.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:02 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
At this point he's one of the guys I want. Failing that, I guess konopka. Rupp isn't that much better than talbot at faceoffs, but atleast he's over the 50% mark. He's tough as nails to boot. Anyone know if rupp or konopka kill penalties? I figure they don't, but would be a plus.
We need to cut penalty minutes, not add them.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:03 PM
SB164

Mike Rupp would definitely be an interesting addition to this lineup. Unlike a few other 4th liners, I don't see him as just another mindless scrub. He's won the Stanley Cup with Gomez and Gionta in New Jersey, and has been coached by Pat Burns. I think he'd be another leader in the dressing room.

The guys a solid veteran (31 years old), he's got size (6'5, 230), he's relatively fast, is very physical, great along the boards, willing to fight and can even sometimes chip in offensively.

Git-R-Done PG.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
We need to cut penalty minutes, not add them.
I'd be willing to bet he took less minors than hamrlik. Although he plays a fraction of hamrlik's TOI. We take a lot of penalties because we get hemmed in our zone way too much and for way too long. Adding a physical presence who can win faceoffs like rupp or konopka would help it out a bit. Also making our D faster as a whole would definitely help.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Can't figure out why so many people want talbot.
He is a québécois. People would buy Talbot shirts and jerseys for sure, and he is more willing than lapierre. He is a proven winner and people would be proud to have him on the team because he'd be a gars de chez nous. Personnally I don't care but I'd eventually follow the hype if it happened.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We need a stay at home d-man, not another puck mover.
It would be good to add a stay at home d-man, but I disagree about not having another puck mover. The game is faster today, and the Habs try to play a transition game, the more puck movers the better. The thing about guys like Markov, Subban, and Ehrhoff is that they are complete dmen. They are strong 5-on-5 and on the special teams. I think Ehrhoff played about 2min a game on the PK last year. I think we need a legitimate top 3 guy, instead of relying on the aging Spacek and Gill, and the yound and inexperienced Weber and Yemelin. He would also take the pressure off Markov and Gorges to play top minutes each night early in the season after both coming off long term injuries. But it's a moot point because he is signed, and I don't see any other really good choices. The UFA's are not very enticing this year.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Mike Rupp would definitely be an interesting addition to this lineup. Unlike a few other 4th liners, I don't see him as just another mindless scrub. He's won the Stanley Cup with Gomez and Gionta in New Jersey, and has been coached by Pat Burns. I think he'd be another leader in the dressing room.

The guys a solid veteran (31 years old), he's got size (6'5, 230), he's relatively fast, is very physical, great along the boards, willing to fight and can even sometimes chip in offensively.

Git-R-Done PG.
Not only is he willing to fight, he even beat up Shawn Thornton last season.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
He is a québécois. People would buy Talbot shirts and jerseys for sure, and he is more willing than lapierre. He is a proven winner and people would be proud to have him on the team because he'd be a gars de chez nous. Personnally I don't care but I'd eventually follow the hype if it happened.
A lot of the posters advocating signing talbot aren't 'that kind' of poster. I wouldn't be pissed off we signed him, but I would feel that we missed the boat on filling some of our needs. We may not be able to get a top 6 threat this year, but we can make our bottom 6 much more interesting.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:23 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Warrior View Post
My first attempt at this capgeek thing. This line-up looks nice to me.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.500m) / Anthony Stewart ($2.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Josh Gorges ($2.500m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,695,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,604,491
I'd go with

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Ville Leino ($3.800m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Michael Rupp ($1.000m)
Lars Eller ($1.270m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.750m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($2.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Ty Conklin ($0.800m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,345,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,154,491

Old
06-30-2011, 07:26 PM
EveryDay

If we could had .... LW and RW with size !!

Anthony Stewart
Jaromir Jagr

Max Pacioretty
Andrei Kostitsyn
Travis Moen
Ryan White
Mike Cammalleri
Brian Gionta

Old
06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet he took less minors than hamrlik. Although he plays a fraction of hamrlik's TOI. We take a lot of penalties because we get hemmed in our zone way too much and for way too long. Adding a physical presence who can win faceoffs like rupp or konopka would help it out a bit. Also making our D faster as a whole would definitely help.
That was true in 09-10 where the team spent more time in their own end than not but the 10-11 team majorly improved at that, taking more faceoffs in the offensive zone than the defensive zone (50.9% zone start 10-11, 47.4% in 09-10). This is the first time in the 4 years I have access to that stat that Montreal took more faceoffs in the offensive zone than the defensive zone.

Hamrlik did take way to many penalties, and that was one aspect of his game that will not be missed, same with Pouliot. The two guys with the worst penalties drawn/taken differential per minute have been let go.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
I'd go with

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Ville Leino ($3.800m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.700m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Michael Rupp ($1.000m)
Lars Eller ($1.270m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.750m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($2.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m) / Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Ty Conklin ($0.800m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,345,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,154,491

not sure why Yemelin in not in your top 6? Spacek and Weber over him?

Why?

Old
06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
You guys want to know who sucks ?

Max ****ing Talbot.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:36 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

With Montador signing at 2.75M, am I the only who thinks that that's the value of Gorges? I like him a lot, but he isn't worth more than 3M.. he brings pretty much nothing offensively, isn't very physical and is good in the defensive zone and on the PK.. IMO that's what he is worth.

Also, if the right offer is on the table, I wouldn't mind trading Gorges.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:36 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

20 goal scorers. that's the key. Simon Gagne, for top six talent, chris higgins for depth, and raffi torres or somebody like him for grit. maybe a scottie ushal would suffice. a little less edge, alittle more scoring ability. if they do something like that or similar, i will be very pleased. we don't need any defensman yet. Markov, Gorges, Gill, Subban, Yemelin, Weber, Spacek, Diaz. We have to see how Yemelin shapes up. he may prove to be a very solid d-man. We need forward depth, and when deadline day comes we can ship something away for more depth on D if we feel neccesary, if not we can use it to snag a hemsky or someone.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:44 PM
MarkovsKnee

Put me on the Rupp train. He's the guy I would like to see. I'd offer him the same salary as Moen, $1.5m, since I think that's what it might take, although for less years. I'd prefer 2 years, but if PG needs to offer 3 then go for it. Moen's and Rupp's stats are ridiculously similar except Rupp is even bigger, tougher and quicker to come to a teammate's aid. He can also play all 3 forward positions, and is a decent enough face-off guy.

Cole or Gagne as a top 6 forward.
Joel Ward or Sean Bergenheim as a top 9 forward.
Rupp as the tough 4th liner.
Brian Boucher or Mike Smith as the back-up goalie.

I'd like us to sign one more D-man, but it's so thin out there & I want no long term deals for a D-man. A guy like Hejda guaranteed will go for max term and dollars. I could see him getting $3m/4 years.

It is really, really thin on D in the UFA market. If I'm PG I might wait to see how things play out on our blueline in training camp.

At worse our D is: Gill - Subban, Markov - Gorges, Spacek- Weber, if Emelin shows he can play then maybe it's Emelin - Weber, with Spacek as the 7th. No idea if Diaz is a legit player or someone who is going to play in Hamilton.

Frankly, if we need someone as a filler again. I'd be open to signing Mara to another 1 year contract. He can play the PK, be physical and fight. I really don't see us doing anything big on D.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:50 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
not sure why Yemelin in not in your top 6? Spacek and Weber over him?

Why?
Man, people are so overreacting with Emelin. As mush as he has potential, he has 0 games in the NHL, he has proven nothing, therefore, he is not a lock in the top 6. We are not a rebuilding team to have players like that in our top 6. He can be our 7th, play if there is injuries. Also, if you think Emelin can play 82 games in his first year as a hab, you are wrong. At least, that's my opinion.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:51 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Man, people are so overreacting with Emelin. As mush as he has potential, he has 0 games in the NHL, he has proven nothing, therefore, he is not a lock in the top 6. We are not a rebuilding team to have players like that in our top 6. He can be our 7th, play if there is injuries. That's my opinion.
He actually proved more than, let's say, Fowler with Anaheim and is was a lock in their top6 before the start of their season last year. Yemelin will suit up on the opening game.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Put me on the Rupp train. He's the guy I would like to see. I'd offer him the same salary as Moen, $1.5m, since I think that's what it might take, although for less years. I'd prefer 2 years, but if PG needs to offer 3 then go for it. Moen's and Rupp's stats are ridiculously similar except Rupp is even bigger, tougher and quicker to come to a teammate's aid. He can also play all 3 forward positions, and is a decent enough face-off guy.

Cole or Gagne as a top 6 forward.
Joel Ward or Sean Bergenheim as a top 9 forward.
Rupp as the tough 4th liner.
Brian Boucher or Mike Smith as the back-up goalie.

I'd like us to sign one more D-man, but it's so thin out there & I want no long term deals for a D-man. A guy like Hejda guaranteed will go for max term and dollars. I could see him getting $3m/4 years.

It is really, really thin on D in the UFA market. If I'm PG I might wait to see how things play out on our blueline in training camp.

At worse our D is: Gill - Subban, Markov - Gorges, Spacek- Weber, if Emelin shows he can play then maybe it's Emelin - Weber, with Spacek as the 7th. No idea if Diaz is a legit player or someone who is going to play in Hamilton.

Frankly, if we need someone as a filler again. I'd be open to signing Mara to another 1 year contract. He can play the PK, be physical and fight. I really don't see us doing anything big on D.
As much as I agree with the guys you picked to add, I'm not sure who we'd be sitting, and if those new signings would sign knowing they might be in the pressbox.

Cammy - PLeks - Cole/Gagne
Patches - GOmez - Gionta
desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn
Darche - White - Moen
joel ward rupp.

Not sure if the team still feels darche is the 13th forward, but even slotting white into his place and moving rupp up, where does the 'top 9' signing go? The team seems confident in desharnais so I doubt they scratch him that much. I'm keeping in mind that eller is gone for the first month or so, but even then...

Old
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Yeah... after thinking about it, I would much rather have Rupp than Talbot. Is Rupp a center though, is he any good on faceoffs???

Old
06-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
As much as I agree with the guys you picked to add, I'm not sure who we'd be sitting, and if those new signings would sign knowing they might be in the pressbox.

Patches - GOmez - Gionta
Darche - White - Moen
joel ward rupp.

Not sure if the team still feels darche is the 13th forward, but even slotting white into his place and moving rupp up, where does the 'top 9' signing go? The team seems confident in desharnais so I doubt they scratch him that much. I'm keeping in mind that eller is gone for the first month or so, but even then...
Joel Ward is a UFA? Wow, that would be a nice pick up.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:01 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:

Patches - GOmez - Gionta
Darche - White - Moen
joel ward rupp.

Cammy - Pleks - G/C
Patches - Gomez - Gionta
Bergenheim - Eller - AK
Moen - DD - Rupp

Darche, White.

Bergenheim has terrific speed, is solid defensively, and is a master forechecker. He would look really good with Eller and AK. DD, Darche and White would rotate in and out of the line-up. Rupp would play centre when DD sits. But, yeah, if the Habs want Darche and/or DD to play every day then we probably don't sign Bergenheim because the top 6 forward, and 4th line tough guy is more important. Our forward depth would be solid tho.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:

Patches - GOmez - Gionta
Darche - White - Moen
joel ward rupp.

Has there been any news on Eller lately? Wasn't there a possibility that he could be ready for training camp after his surgery?

Closed Thread