HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 11:48 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It is, but Ehrhoff played soft minutes and was never relied on to carry a pairing. He also didn't outperform Bieksa defensively or offensively in the playoffs.

Bieksa had 25PP points in 08-09 in 72 games, Ehrhoff had 29 this year. Hardly a big difference there.
Nice, gives me some confidence in him. I still see him as a bit of a "bobbler" at the point though. Unless it comes to him from a stanchion

Old
06-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Bieksallent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Nice, gives me some confidence in him. I still see him as a bit of a "bobbler" at the point though. Unless it comes to him from a stanchion
How many times did Ehrhoff bobble the puck at the blueline on the PP the second half of this past season alone? One time it cost us a game.

Old
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
It is, but Ehrhoff played soft minutes
Must have been some really deft defensemen juggling by Bowness considering all the injuries to our blueline (excluding Ehrhoff) for each of the past two seasons.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
How many times did Ehrhoff bobble the puck at the blueline on the PP the second half of this past season alone? One time it cost us a game.
A lot. And he was exceptionally poor in the playoffs.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
tantalum

Quote:
He's high reward and high risk. He stays in longer than most other D-men will but that makes him effective. In the SCF his bobbling of the puck likely had much more to do with injury than anything else.

The loss of Ehrhoff will be felt on the blueline. However, his loss can be offset by improvements elsewhere. It's up to Gillis to make those improvements.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
thenextone

Given Ehrhoff's performance in the playoffs...I would be curious as to what he could have got us at the trade deadline?

Old
06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Tiranis

Sabres fans still in fully delusional mode thinking he will sign a 30m deal for 6 years. They're in for some disappointment.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Placebo Effect

Fans are always delusional

Old
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Sabres fans still in fully delusional mode thinking he will sign a 30m deal for 6 years. They're in for some disappointment.
I responded to one poster who thinks Ehrhoff at age 34 will play for 3M, $2M at 35, and $1.5M at age 36

06-30-2011, 12:07 PM
rye&ginger

Fans = fanatics = emotional investment clouds your judgment

Old
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Bieksallent

I don't see what the point is of trading for pending UFA rights in late June. What on earth would the player gain by signing a contract 2 or 3 days before he can field all offers?

Old
06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
mdobbs

vCash: 6335
Quote:
I don't see what the point is of trading for pending UFA rights in late June. What on earth would the player gain by signing a contract 2 or 3 days before he can field all offers?
Make it look like you're doing something without actually doing anything

Old
06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Maybe the Canucks can offer him a deal that is similar to Bieksa. Huge front end with signing bonus with the potential lockout year being cheap.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I responded to one poster who thinks Ehrhoff at age 34 will play for 3M, $2M at 35, and $1.5M at age 36
I could see it if he's getting a big front-loaded deal where the total dollars made sense, but his wasn't that. I mean, players would play for $0 dollars if they could get the money ahead of time.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
The only sense I can make of it is maybe the Islanders thought that so many good teams would be knocking down Ehrhoff's door on Friday that they wouldn't even bother answering a call from them.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Bieksa played on a shutdown pairing this season and achieved remarkable results. Hamhuis or not, the numbers they posted were comparable to any other top shutdown duo around the league. Hell, they even put up the ES points to match Ehrhoff. If Bieksa was also on the #1 PP unit then he gets 40+ points. The only thing that Ehrhoff has on Bieksa is that he can put up 10-15 more points (at best).
Hrm.

I dunno...I think a lot of the Bieksa 'renaissance' came from him focusing on the defensive side of the puck generally; he got himself in trouble during his 'down' years running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to do too much. To assume Bieksa will return to anywhere close to 40 points is a dangerous game in my opinion. Not only do we not know if he's capable of doing it anymore (his skill set was never particularly offensive...not big, not a gifted skater, doesn't have a big shot, adequate puck distribution skills, etc.), but we run the risk of seeing a erosion in his defensive game if we start expecting him to be an offensive leader on the blue line again.

There were even quotes from the player this year stating he felt he was more of a 'shut down' defenseman now. I think a lot of the improvement in his defensive game came from the offensive depth on the blue line last year. Hamhuis actually averaged 30 minutes less of overall PP time last year, and scored one more point then Bieksa.

That last thing we want is $4.6 million Bieksa turning back into a total plug.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Hrm.

I dunno...I think a lot of the Bieksa 'renaissance' came from him focusing on the defensive side of the puck generally; he got himself in trouble during his 'down' years running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to do too much. To assume Bieksa will return to anywhere close to 40 points is a dangerous game in my opinion. Not only do we not know if he's capable of doing it anymore (he's skill set was never particularly offensive...not big, not a gifted skater, doesn't have a big shot, adequate puck distribution skills, etc.), but we run the risk of seeing a erosion in his defensive game if we start expecting him to be an offensive leader on the blue line again.

There were even quotes from the player this year stating he felt he was more of a 'shut down' defenseman now. I think a lot of the improvement in his defensive game came from the offensive depth on the blue line last year. Hamhuis actually averaged 30 minutes less of overall PP time last year, and scored one more point then Bieksa.

That last thing we want is $4.6 million Bieksa turning back into a total plug.
Are you implying that if he were to get time on the #1 PP unit he would suddenly revert to the old Bieksa? Because the decrease in points came because of his lack of PP production. He outproduced Ehrhoff at ES.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Are you implying that if he were to get time on the #1 PP unit he would suddenly revert to the old Bieksa? Because the decrease in points came because of his lack of PP production. He outproduced Ehrhoff at ES.
I think generally asking him to be an offensive leader on the blue line could cause a reversion back to the days when he was simply trying to do too much on that side of the puck. Last year he was heavily shielded behind Ehrhoff and Edler as the prime offensive producers on the blue line, it didn't really matter what he produced because he was playing behind two 40+ point defensemen. I don't think it's necessarily going to happen, but his problems in the past came from trying to over-reach himself and be this #1 type of guy. Giving him prime PP minutes on top of everything else he does just increases his overall ice, and could have the effect of over-playing him generally.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Is that a per game pace or season total? Important as the chances of one (Ehrhoff) playing pretty much the entire season are greater than the other (Bieksa).

Old
06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Is that a per game pace or season total? Important as the chances of one (Ehrhoff) playing pretty much the entire season are greater than the other (Bieksa).
Both, although it's a minor difference (2 points or something). As far as 5-on-5 GFON/60 Bieksa was at 3.13 and Ehrhoff at 2.88. Although if we were to include the playoffs that difference is going to increase quite a bit.

Edit: Nevermind, remembered it wrong. Ehrhoff had 2 more points in 13 more games (21 vs 19 points). But the rest of the stuff posted above is correct.

Last edited by Tiranis: 06-30-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old
06-30-2011, 01:23 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Fans = fanatics = emotional investment clouds your judgment
well for everyone but me yeah

Old
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Fans are always delusional
Yeah, but I expected them to be somewhat realistic. What possible incentive does Ehrhoff have to sign for 30m for 6 years or 35 for 7 when there will be teams bidding on him in just one more day. The only way they get a deal done is if they offer him exactly what he wants and reportedly that was at least 5.5m from the Canucks, so probably more from another team.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Is it possible that the Hoff doesn't like our team as much as the rest of the players?

Old
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

I've read that Boston is letting Kaberle test the free agent waters.

Just sayin'.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Take it with a grain of salt, but...

Jay_Gold_ Jason Gold

Expect both CBJ/Wiz & BUF/Ehrhoff multi-yr contract "extensions" to be announced at some point today. Wiz: $4.5-5M cap hit. Ehrhoff: $6-6.5M

Closed Thread