HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ehrhoff's rights for Wisnieski's rights?
Doesn't that player have a history of knee problems or am I mistaking him for somebody else? (have to wonder why the Habs didn't re-sign him).

Old
06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
vcanuck

No D on the Canucks will get more than Kesler... If Ehrhoff realy thinks he's a 5m+ defenceman, the Canucks will let him walk. What was all that talk about wanting to stay here Ehrhoff?!

That being said, i think he wants to test the market and see how many stupid GMs are willing to overpay him, if not then he might re-sign with us again ;D

Old
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Lard_Lad

Ugly news, but hey, it's not like we're losing Aaron Rome.

Barring a breakout camp from one of the kids or a dramatic AV reversal on Ballard, I guess this means Samuelsson back on the point on the first unit.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Dado

vCash:
To a contender, he's not worth more than Bieksa money. Let someone else do the overpaying.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:47 PM
SomeoneGreat

IMO one of Edler or Ballard will have to play the right side next season.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Ehrhoff is not worth 6 million.
Regardless of what you think of the value, Ehrhoff is an UFA and he's worth whatever a team is willing to pay him. And if an organization like Detroit is willing to offer him a Rafalski type deal then the value isn't all that far off either.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:48 PM
QueenzBlvd

If Ehrhoff goes, this gives Gillis room to sign at least 2 d-men for depth. I prefer depth over a longer period of time, especially during playoffs.

Old
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Ehrhoff was playing in the finals with a separated shoulder. Kesler, Edler and Henrik were also playing hurt. That's why our PP wasn't working.
If the coaching staff was stupid enough to play Ehrhoff on our #1 PP with a separated shoulder, we deserve to lose that series.

Old
Canuckommunist

Shame.

I wouldn't complain about 5-5.5 over 4 years or something that's pretty good term and money, but if he wants longer-term like 6+ for more than 5.5 he's barking. He can easily get it somewhere else but it'd be stupid of us to hand it to him here since there are cheaper defenseman as good as he is. 6+ is for game-breaking players who can take control of a game, are team leaders and expected first pairing D-men. None of which Ehrhoff is.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

If you didn't intend to bring him back (which IMO, I would not because of the defensive lapses in the playoffs although shoulder was a mitigating factor,but I would absolutely move ballard first), then trade his rights as early as possible and get a good pick out of it.

If you do intend to bring him back, be prepared to pay him what he's worth. That's what was done with Bieksa (who at 4.6M took a 10% disc. IMO but with a full NTC); in Ehrhoff's case probably $5M with full NTC, and possibly closer to $5.4M with limited NTC; and that's what should be done with Ehrhoff as well.

The 1% of the total cap the team is trying to save makes no sense whatsoever when you are talking about one of the 6 highest paid players on the team. Playing with fire, IMO.

Bizarre.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
QueenzBlvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Ugly news, but hey, it's not like we're losing Aaron Rome.

Barring a breakout camp from one of the kids or a dramatic AV reversal on Ballard, I guess this means Samuelsson back on the point on the first unit.
Oh God, please, no thanks.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckommunist View Post
Shame.

I wouldn't complain about 5-5.5 over 4 years or something that's pretty good term and money, but if he wants longer-term like 6+ for more than 5.5 he's barking. He can easily get it somewhere else but it'd be stupid of us to hand it to him here since there are cheaper defenseman as good as he is. 6+ is for game-breaking players who can take control of a game, are team leaders and expected first pairing D-men. None of which Ehrhoff is.
Completely agree. I am suprised he is thinking he is worth that much. I suppose with lidstrom he will be a great D man, but he is not worth more than 5... certainly 4.6 in all honesty. Did he not consider his points are a big result of 2 100 point players and the most potent PP in the league?

He can be overcome. I alos love ballard, but would trade him only because AV will never use or trust him.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Hank4Hart

Can a mod change the spelling of Ehrhoff on the title?

Old
06-28-2011, 02:52 PM
ddawg1950

I like two things about Ehrhoff.

1) If we sign him to reasonable cap hit, then we get an elite offensive D man that will propel our PP to the top five in the league.

2) He is not good defensively so if we lose him it won't be the end of the world (which I now understand to be October 15, 2011) and we can still contend for the Cup next June.

I can move between these two positions quite easily.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
If the coaching staff was stupid enough to play Ehrhoff on our #1 PP with a separated shoulder, we deserve to lose that series.
Did you watch the finals? That's the least stupid of the long list of stupid things they did. As injured as the team was, coaching generally was the weak spot in the finals.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Doesn't that player have a history of knee problems or am I mistaking him for somebody else? (have to wonder why the Habs didn't re-sign him).

He's had a history of his right knee being wonky. Had surgery on it. Thing I like about him is that he can play within a system, that's what JMartin requires and he does the job.

I was more musing than being serious. Montreal likely won't sign him due to paying their big money to Markov and going with their youth.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Juicey
aka HamhuisHip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
The 1% of the total cap the team is trying to save makes no sense whatsoever when you are talking about one of the 6 highest paid players on the team. Playing with fire, IMO.

Bizarre.
This. Not sure what is going on but I find it hard to believe Gillis is balking at 1% of the cap. I think there is more going on than we know.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
I didn't think it was separated. Ehrhoff said he was taking shots for it, but that it only affected his hitting and not his shot. Who knows what degree of truth that is, however.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
This. Not sure what is going on but I find it hard to believe Gillis is balking at 1% of the cap. I think there is more going on than we know.
Why does everyone seemingly just ignore the bigger issue which is the effect that these signings will have on Burrows and Edler? Both are UFA after 2012-2013 season and will need a substantial raise. Giving Ehrhoff 5.5m right now means you're going to give Edler something completely ridiculous or lose him.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Why does everyone seemingly just ignore the bigger issue which is the effect that these signings will have on Burrows and Edler? Both are UFA after 2012-2013 season and will need a substantial raise. Giving Ehrhoff 5.5m right now means you're going to give Edler something completely ridiculous or lose him.
THIS. MG has to look at the long-term picture. This is why Hoff isn't worth more than 5 mil. Because if you're going to sign Ehrhoff to 5-5.5, how much is it going to cost us to retain Edler or Burrows?

Old
06-28-2011, 03:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Sad to think that Burrows wanted his current deal for 5 years, Gillis wanted 3 so they settled on 4. Should have done 5

06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Isn't the time to win now for the Canucks? Yeah you have to have some eye on the future but IMHO, if you have a solid chance at the Cup - you go for it.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Juicey
aka HamhuisHip

Quote:
If the cap increases anything like the last 3 years, any raise needed for these 2 players will come from that. Besides, unless Edler has a big season he will be looking for the same as Erhoff - if that is $5.5M (a $2.75M raise) so be it. I am not worried about losing Burrows - he knows who butters his bread .

Last edited by Juicey: 06-28-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: clarify my statement re: Burrows
Old
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
VanEric

This sucks but I can't blame the guy for testing free agency. Sometimes you're just lucky that you're up in a weak year.

Realistically we got two very productive years out of someone we traded Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi for. That's a win.

I'm very curious to see how Gillis goes about trying to replace his offense. At the very least, he needs to get someone who can play Ehrhoff's PP minutes and you make a commitment to have Ballard play second pairing minutes with Edler.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Unless of course the cap has gone up by another 15% since then (it went up by 8.5% since last year, which would mean +17.7% repeated 2 years in a row), in which case you give Edler 6.5M-7M then, which equates to 5.2M-5.6M if he were signed the same year Hamhuis was or 5.7M-6.1M the year Ehrhoff/Bieksa are resigned.

It also means, as a % of cap space in the year signed and using Hamhuis (2010 offseason) as your basis point, that Ehrhoff is worth 5.07M and Bieksa is worth 4.24M. I don't think Ehrhoff at 5.5M is as terrible as people make it sound. I'd like to see him sign for more ~5M, but worse things could happen. Hamhuis salary with cap inflation is worth 4.9M today.

Closed Thread