HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks trade Ehrhoff's rights to NYI (4th round pick in '12)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
rye&ginger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I love that you always give the credit to the 2nd PP unit in 09/10 and the 1st unit in 10/11 to Ehrhoff and completely brush over the part where Ryan Kesler was on those units. You really think Ehrhoff was more important on the #1 PP unit than getting a 40 goal scorer on there who always took the attention of the #1 defenseman away from the Sedins?

Ehrhoff is a good offensive defenseman, but he's just barely made it to being a 50 point guy in his career. He fulfilled a role that Edler can probably step into this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The thing is, wasn't Edler on the #2 unit last year? So that's 3 guys that moved from #2 unit to the #1 unit. The setup is also completely different than in prior years.
Good to know Im not the only one thinking like this.

1. Ehrhoff is NOT the PP QB. Henrik is.

2. No doubt Ehrhoff brings elite offense, but he is not a complete defensman.

3. My senses tell me his agent is the one pushing him to test the waters to see if the Canucks bend a little more.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockH View Post
Unless of course the cap has gone up by another 15% since then, in which case you give Edler 6.5M-7M then, which equates to 5.2M-5.6M if he were signed the same year Hamhuis was or 5.7M-6.1M the year Ehrhoff/Bieksa are resigned.

It also means, as a % of cap space in the year signed and using Hamhuis (2010 offseason) as your basis point, that Ehrhoff is worth 5.07M and Bieksa is worth 4.24M. I don't think Ehrhoff at 5.5M is as terrible as people make it sound. I'd like to see him sign for more ~5M, but worse things could happen. Hamhuis salary with cap inflation is worth 4.9M today.
New CBA. There's a good reason to be concerned about Edler and I have no doubt that his next contract plays a big part in the negotiations with Ehrhoff.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Weber is going to arbitration so we can't even send him an offer sheet.
Yeah but can`t they possibly sign or trade him before July 1st?

Old
06-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
and you make a commitment to have Ballard play second pairing minutes with Edler.
Think to make this a viable option you have to put Ballard with Hamhuis (given his poor level of play & lack of confidence [from both him and the coaching staff] and pray that a Edler & Bieksa pairing will work.

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Yeah but can`t they possibly sign or trade him before July 1st?
They can sign or trade him anytime before the arbitration hearing. In fact, I'm convinced it will be one of the two. There is no way they will let him actually go to arbitration and sign a one year deal.

Old
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
1. Ehrhoff is NOT the PP QB. Henrik is.
Yeah but does Hank carry the puck all the way up from the blue line?? I think not.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Would be a shame if we lost Ehrhoff, he is a bit of a whack in his own end but for a defenseman he is really creative offensively.

Old
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

I think the impending resigning of Edler has a lot to do with this. If Ehrhoff is asking for anything around the $5.5-6 million range, then the resigning of Edler would become very tricky.

Old
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I have no idea what re-signing Edler and Burrows has to do with Ehrhoff. They could be gone by then for all we know. Besides, excluding Ballard, Canucks will have $33M of cap space in 2013, more if the cap goes up.

By the way, why does Edler's resigning enter into the Ehrhoff negotiations but not Bieksa's?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $31,633,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (6-man roster): $32,666,667

Old
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

I believe MG is also planning for a potential lockout again in a couple years.

There are rumours of numerous changes to the Cap and this will greatly affect contracts as they currently stand. Hence the reasoning for the salary and bonus structure of Bieksa's new contract.

If Gillis is going after Weber, and can somehow get him without giving up Edler, our top 4 would be Hamhuis-Bieksa, Edler-Weber. At that point who gives a **** who is the 5-6 defenseman? Go NJ/Anaheim style and ride your horses.

Team needs a true #1 d-man. Ehrhoff ain't that guy.

If we can't get Weber, fine. Wait a year and poached Suter from Nashville as he is a UFA next year.

There are options.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Yeah but does Hank carry the puck all the way up from the blue line?? I think not.
He's done it plenty of times. Plus, there is more than one way to enter the zone. It's not like we need Ehrhoff to carry the puck. We have several players who are fully capable of carrying the puck and entering the zone.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Kesler does a lot of that. Edler also. Sedins also, yes. ITS A PP UNIT. It was never focused on having Ehrhoff shot the puck. He passes the puck through lanes for tips or to get it to guys who will shoot.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:23 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post

Hai Guyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSNBobMcKenzie
Hearing Joni Pitkanen is close to re-signing multi-year deal in CAR - not done yet tho - but no real progress on Chad Larose and Erik Cole.
One more option possibly gone. Wonder what he will sign for, should give an idea as to what Ehrhoff is worth.

I am definitely thinking the Canucks will go the safe route to will out their defense and trade for top 6 (9) help.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Hammer2Time

massive step back?

elite pp producer?

I dont know about everyone here but if the canucks are going to sink 5 mill or more into a dman I want him to be by far the best one we have. which he isn't. and to all those saying he made the 1st pp what it was. do we all forget how big the move to put kesler on the first unit was? edler and any combination of salo/samuelsson/ballard/bieksa/hamhuis will b fine for the pp to stay in top 5 all season. (which means nothing come playoffs as SCF indicated)

Old
06-28-2011, 03:28 PM
VanEric

I doubt Gillis is just going to sit on his hands and do nothing. At worst you go after an Anton Babchuk type who is your 6th defenseman and can play on the PP.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

BTW, we can't have it both ways. We can't say on the one hand that adding a legit top 6 also improves the 3rd line re. trickle down effect, but that the reverse won't happen if we lose our top offensive dman.

Anyways, I think this is all a negotiating tactic on the Canucks' part to get Ehrhoff to take less.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

FWIW here's HW's take:

Quote:
This is where Boston comes in. They have not re-signed Kaberle. Ehrhoff and Sidenberg play together on the German National team and make a good tandem. If Ehrhoff hits FA then I see Boston walking on Kaberle and giving the money to Ehrhoff.

As to his demands. As I now understand his last position it is north of 5 million. But I don't know how far north. A discount in his eyes is something off the 6 million mark he would get in the open market. So the sides may still be significantly apart. He wanted 5 million in january but MG would not negotiate during the season. He took the attitude of show me what you can do and you will get rewarded. He did that with both Bieksa and Ehrhoff, something most people applauded. It was as if most of us felt MG had to choose one or the other and that internal competition would be good. It may have all been in out heads but I recall a lot of chatter about it would be good to see which one out performed the other. But now it seems we can afford both and may have lost our chance to do that. With fewer than 10 D'men getting the 50 point mark Ehrhoff now wants to see the money.

I don't think the door is closed at all yet but I think MG is drawing a line in the sand.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
FWIW here's HW's take:
....hmmmm might consider tossing money at Kaberle for a short term deal (even if it means paying a bit more than he would get on a long-term deal). He didn't play well on the Bruins - which should hopefully drive his price down a bit.

He'd be off the books around the time Edler needs to be re-signed (give or take a year).

Old
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
BruinsNCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Less effective power play. Isn't that what cost us the Cup (rather than the lack of "bruisers" up front or goaltending)?
a) They didn't call enough penalties in the post season to make Erhoff anything more than a liability, injuries or otherwise; or b) Erhoff is not good enough when it counts to bring us to the ultimate prize. Yes he was injured in the conference finals, but that shouldn't lead to a -13 in the final round

Old
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894

The two most likely destinations for Ehrhoff probably ARE Detroit and Boston...that's ****ing just great.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
VanEric

There's never any discussion of term. They could be off on that as well as the cap hit.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
ugghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post

The two most likely destinations for Ehrhoff probably ARE Detroit and Boston...that's ****ing just great.
Well, we all know what happened with Johnson, SOB, and Wellwood's teams in the playoffs this year... So maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer2Time View Post
massive step back?

elite pp producer?

I dont know about everyone here but if the canucks are going to sink 5 mill or more into a dman I want him to be by far the best one we have. which he isn't. and to all those saying he made the 1st pp what it was. do we all forget how big the move to put kesler on the first unit was? edler and any combination of salo/samuelsson/ballard/bieksa/hamhuis will b fine for the pp to stay in top 5 all season. (which means nothing come playoffs as SCF indicated)
It's not really about whether or not Bieksa/Hamhuis is worth more than Ehrhoff. The fact of the matter is that offensive defenseman are worth more than a defensive defenseman because their stats are more tangible.

Not only will Ehrhoff's absence be felt on the PP, but on the transition side EV strength as well. Ehrhoff was one of our best defenseman at sparking the offense from the defensive end. While Edler has the better vision and can make a heady pass, he's not nearly as quick and skilled at moving the puck forward, whether it's an outlet, or skating the puck out himself.

People have been talking up Montador, but he's not a top 4 defenseman. He's more of a tweener, decent offensively, but not a fast skater and mistake prone because of questionable hockey sense and decision making. He can't replace what Ehrhoff brings. I understand that Edler can replace Ehrhoff, but who fills in at Edler's spot?

I don't doubt that Gillis has a plan to replace Ehrhoff's contribution in some fashion, but I doubt that he won't be a downgrade to Ehrhoff.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:40 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 400
I trust Gillis. Being a former agent gives him an inside track in negotiations, considering that he has experience on both sides of the fence. I hope this is just a tactic, but even if Ehrhoff isn't re-signed, I have faith Gillis has a back-up plan. He usually does. Remember that Bernier was the second option behind Backes. Lets hope that MG has a little more luck this time on his plan B.

Old
06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
vanwest

Boston would make a lot of sense considering that their biggest hole was their powerplay. They have the defensive defencemen and system to hide Ehrhoff's weaknesses.

Closed Thread