HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey talking about Jay Bouwmeester

Old
06-28-2011, 10:25 PM
bam09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zharkenby View Post
Couldn't put it better myself, can't even compare Jbos contract to kovy, kovy is actually good
Uhh, well Bouwmeester's contract runs out in 3 years, and Kovalchuk's in 14 and the pair of them are the same age, so you're right we can't compare them. In 6 years or so, you'll be sitting with a terrible contract and not even be halfway through it, whilst Bouwmeester will be a thing of the past in Calgary...barring a turn around in his play.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
he is a 35-40 goal scorer. thats the going rate for those types of players. +/- doesnt concern me, especially since no one on the Devils had a good season.

i never said JBouw had a bad year. I said I dont want any part of him, especially with the contract he has.
All I was stating is that nearly every Devils fan in this thread made a statement about Jay's supposed "Terrible contract" yet they are fine with Kovalchuck's contract..

I would be fine with you stating that considering the other large ticket contracts on your team that it would not make sense to acquire another one, Not outright bashing his contract and the player himself.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Considering his contract, yes that is a bad year... -27 is also a huge concern...

Would you care to elaborate on how Bouwmeester had such a poor season?
When you're playing the kind of minutes Kovy did this year, on a team that was an offensively inept as the Devils were this year, your plus minus is going to be rough.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:27 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

You guys are all bad mouthing Eklund, but when it comes to the Flyers and Devils the dude is usually right. He was the first one to mention the Carter trade and Called the Richards trade. He also had the Kovy trade 2 days before it happened.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Eklund also has told me via private twitter that Crosby for Ovechkin was an e5
Dude. Don't knock the E5. Maybe Eklund is just drinking because isn't E5 supposed to mean it's something that's been stolen from another website that's actually been confirmed?

I dono... I haven't been to his website in sooo long. Thank god I found capgeek and nhlnumbers.

But J-Bo to New Jersey isn't happening unless Calgary takes all of New Jersey's bad contracts and New Jersey's 2012 1st rounder and only if Jersey is allowed to turn around and say "ok we dont want to have the right to have our first rounder" at the 2012 draft so calary gets nothin but salary dump.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:30 PM
zharkenby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
Uhh, well Bouwmeester's contract runs out in 3 years, and Kovalchuk's in 14 and the pair of them are the same age, so you're right we can't compare them. In 6 years or so, you'll be sitting with a terrible contract and not even be halfway through it, whilst Bouwmeester will be a thing of the past in Calgary...barring a turn around in his play.
Kovy is a great player you have no idea what he will be doing in 6 years, he can still be scoring 35-40 goals, Jbo will be averaging 20 points a season by the end of his contract

zharkenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
not if Kovalchuk continues to produce at his career levels, and there is no reason to think that he wouldnt.

you mean to tell me you wouldnt take Kovalchuk for $6.66 per year on your offensively inept team? come on, youre lying.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:35 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Man that would be interesting...a few seasons ago the Flames had the BIG THREE defenders in Phaneuf, Bowmeester and Regier...they could all be gone before next season starts.
Why don't they just trade Bouwmeester + TJ Brodie to Toronto for Mike Brown, Colby Armstrong and Mike Zigomanis?

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
not if Kovalchuk continues to produce at his career levels, and there is no reason to think that he wouldnt.

you mean to tell me you wouldnt take Kovalchuk for $6.66 per year on your offensively inept team? come on, youre lying.
No meaning to nitpick, but that is a terrible statement considering the Flames were 8th in total goals scored...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:

lol

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
No meaning to nitpick, but that is a terrible statement considering the Flames were 8th in total goals scored...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary
yea, I was referring moreso to the future, since it seems Calgary doesnt have much in the pipeline as far as scorers go, since he was talking 6 years down the road.

but youre right, i didnt raelize they were as high as they were this year.

my point still remains, though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
yea, I was referring moreso to the future, since it seems Calgary doesnt have much in the pipeline as far as scorers go, since he was talking 6 years down the road.

but youre right, i didnt raelize they were as high as they were this year.

my point still remains, though.
6 years is a long time for any UFA signings and at least 3 years worth of developed draft picks to be saying anything about lack of scorers in the pipeline...

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:49 PM
bam09

Quote:

To answer this and the one above me, Kovalchuk has always been one of my favourite players in the league, and I wasn't as hot on signing Jaybo as many Flames fans were, and his play so far has been lackadaisical to say the least, because there's rocks with more heart and emotion than Jay Bouwmeester...

BUT

Bouwmeester's game relies on his excellent skating, speed, positioning, stick work, first pass and reads. None of which should deteriorate over time(his skating form is on the levels of Nidedermeyer and the likes). He's a good bet to at least be a 2nd pairing guy for maybe another 6-7 years...of which he's only signed on to be a Flame for 3 more years.

Kovalchuk has the ridiculous shot which shouldn't go away, but his skating isn't like Jaybo's and his speed will most likely start to go somewhere in his 30s, he'll have the shot but not the mobility and as most great goal scorers do start to lose some potency. I'm not saying he can't still score ~20 or so at 35 or so, but I'd be surprised if he topped 30, and at a shade under 6m, that's not great value.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:14 PM
BeastoftheEast85

Quote:
Kovalchuk has the ridiculous shot which shouldn't go away, but his skating isn't like Jaybo's and his speed will most likely start to go somewhere in his 30s, he'll have the shot but not the mobility and as most great goal scorers do start to lose some potency. I'm not saying he can't still score ~20 or so at 35 or so, but I'd be surprised if he topped 30, and at a shade under 6m, that's not great value.
By the time Kovy's skating starts to go in his mid 30s, because of a little thing called inflation and rapidly increasing growth, his cap will likely be compared to 4 mill in today's NHL. Also guys like Shanahan who took a lot more abuse in his career than Kovy (who has fortunately has gone relatively injury free in his career) and were still able to up 40 goals late in his career. If Kovy is utilized effectively, with a shot like his he could put up 30-40 goals a season until he is ready to retire and the cap his disappear. You can't lie, while the money of the deal is a large, the cap hit is very low for what Kovy can bring for the next decade.

BeastoftheEast85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:18 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Perfectly happy keeping Jay Bouwmeester.

He's ragged on so much on HF that it's gotta be a trending thing, and I doubt people watch him that much, especially hockey fans out east these days. Aside from providing abundant offense, the rest of his game is top-notch. His skating is smooth, he makes a great outlet pass, and his defense is stellar.

The hate for Jay is just strange; it's like a snowball that everyone wants to add to for some reason.
Well, he makes a great outlet pass on occasion, but a lot of the time he misses the forward/gives the puck away on it. Definitely a rock defensively on most nights, though.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote