HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Olli Määttä (2012, 22nd overall, Pittsburgh)

Old
06-29-2011, 10:57 AM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
I thought he didn't even play aside from the pre-tournament.
Yeah he scored an goal against Canada. He runned finland PP at U-18 and scored 2 goals against canada i think

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Fin9*

Very interesting to see him with the Knights. Playing in the OHL gives the scouts easyer look on him, so he can go as low as 5-10 if he has a terrific season.

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Oh dear..
Don't blame me, blame the beer

One cross country skiier was named Määttä back in the days (you youngsters don't know her) and there was some kind of joke/phrase around her name... that's where I got it LOL...stupid one but who cares...party on!!!!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
I thought he didn't even play aside from the pre-tournament.
He played all 6 games according to Eliteprospects.

No points in the round robin, but I distinctly remember telling my buddy that I thought he was going to a player after watching him distribute on the PP. It was a thing of beauty.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
MaNNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

No points in the round robin, but I distinctly remember telling my buddy that I thought he was going to a player after watching him distribute on the PP. It was a thing of beauty.
I watched every game from Finland in the WJC. He only played in the exhibition game against Canada, after that he was sitting on the bench pretty much the whole time. Still he was very impressive at the U18.

MaNNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
How did an all offense-first London team that produced Kane, Gagner, Bolland, Schremp, etc not pick Grigorenko 1st overall????

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
How did an all offense-first London team that produced Kane, Gagner, Bolland, Schremp, etc not pick Grigorenko 1st overall????
Maybe they thought he was only going to play one year?

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
MaNNe

Seems Määttä really wanted to go to London Knights. Atleast according to: http://www.ksml.fi/kiekko/uutiset/ol...%C3%A4n/683215 the player coordinator from the top FEL team JYP, who owns his right said that after one of their star players left to KHL, he offered him a spot in the team, but he said he wanted to go to Canada. This is why they didn't offer him a contract. I'd have rather seen him play in FEL tbh, but lets hope things work out for both parties this time around.

MaNNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
YARR123

I've a good feeling about this. Its true that many finnish prospects have had bad seasons coming to the CHL and didn't have much success. However I don't think Finland has ever had a prospect of Määttäs calibre going over to the CHL, and certainly not 1st overall in the import draft I like this. For once I have a reason to watch canadian junior hockey!

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

He only played against Slovakia.

Wish he wouldn't go. Finns who go Canadien junior leagues usually don't end up being any good.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post

Wish he wouldn't go. Finns who go Canadien junior leagues usually don't end up being any good.
Finns whom go the CHL route - are they any good to begin with?

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
I don't think so...

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
YARR123

Quote:

When was the last time finland had a top prospect playing in the CHL? Never. So we'll see. If he gets to play big minutes it will definately be a good move

Old
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Muuri

Partanen was considered second best Finn in the 2011 draft class just year ago. Went to CHL, played badly and didn't even get drafted.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
I don't think so...
A moot point then, wouldn't you say?

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Muuri

Quote:
A moot point then, wouldn't you say?
Don't see how the junior players who go over to play in CHL are any worse than those who choose to stay in Finland.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:25 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Partanen was considered second best Finn in the 2011 draft class just year ago. Went to CHL, played badly and didn't even get drafted.
Was he? I remember having high hopes for him but never even dreamed of him becoming a 1st rounder. The thing with Partanen was that he joined a ridiculously stacked Majors team, struggled and never got his game rolling, and didn't impress in a 4th line role. That said I think Määttä is a better prospect and will most likely get top minutes.

Old
06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Tommi Kivistö was drafted 6th overall in 2008. I remember he was considered really good player. He played one season in Red Deer Rebels and then back to Finland. I was pissed off because he could be their number one D-man in last playoff run.

Oskar Osala and Jyri Niemi are the ones who recently played more than one season. Niemi flied to NA in 2007 and never came back. Great.

Toni Rajala played one year point per game in WHL. Then back to home. Why?

I really hope Määttä destroy OHL and goes first round in 2012 NHL draft.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Padawan
Former *********

As a JYP fan, I have mixed feelings about Olli to go across the pond. Sure, it's great for him. He is much closer to the North American based scouts, if he adapts quickly to the NA style of hockey he is surely going to rise in the draft rankings and he will have a new experience. But on the other hand I hate to see him leave so soon. He would have had a good chance to secure a playing roster spot in JYP just like Sami Vatanen did when he played his full season among men. I have high hopes for Määttä but this will hurt JYP. Possibly very much I might add.

Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
bebl

If Maatta wanted to go its ok. IMO he should stay in Jyp if they really promised spot on roster. I hope he do it better than Partanen.

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:51 PM
YARR123

Imo 25:00 - 30:00 of icetime in the OHL >>>> 15:00 - 20:00 in FEL

The problem with the OHL is he doesnt have anyplace to fall back on if he doesn't get good minutes, while in FEL he could go play in mestis. But if he manages to get a big role on London Knights it's better than playing 3rd pairing minutes in FEL

Old
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Imo 25:00 - 30:00 of icetime in the OHL >>>> 15:00 - 20:00 in FEL

The problem with the OHL is he doesnt have anyplace to fall back on if he doesn't get good minutes, while in FEL he could go play in mestis. But if he manages to get a big role on London Knights it's better than playing 3rd pairing minutes in FEL
Well, knowing how JYP has been giving youngsters ice time, he would have been playing most likely second pairing minutes plus in special teams. However, this debate is pretty much pointless now since he REALLY WANTED to go there. I guess he sees this will raise his value for next years NHL entry draft.

Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Partanen was considered very promising (like 1st or 2nd round promising) before he left. Couldn't jump straight from A-Juniors to the OHL ---> wasn't able to get a top 6 role in the Majors---------------> Went undrafted.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Goalie View Post
If he goes 1st overall he will surely go. London Knights is a pretty good organization from what I've understood, Landeskog kinda paved the way for european prospects looking to get picked in the 1st round that CHL could very well be the right path to glory (top 10 pick).
London Knights are one of the best teams in the CHL for prospect players, in a similar mould to the likes of the Windsor Spitfires and Saint John Sea Dogs in Canada.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Tommi Kivistö was drafted 6th overall in 2008. I remember he was considered really good player. He played one season in Red Deer Rebels and then back to Finland. I was pissed off because he could be their number one D-man in last playoff run.
Red Deer sucked big time while he was there and he didn't play that well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
Well, knowing how JYP has been giving youngsters ice time, he would have been playing most likely second pairing minutes plus in special teams. However, this debate is pretty much pointless now since he REALLY WANTED to go there. I guess he sees this will raise his value for next years NHL entry draft.
I didn't see Määttä's name in the lineups JYP fans had at jatkoaika.com for next season. E.g. this one:

Vatanen - Malmivaara
Näkyvä - Laatikainen
Iivonen - Koskinen
+Auvitu, Jaatinen

Since you can only dress 6 dmen in SM-liiga I don't think Määttä would have played hardly at all, barring some injuries.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote