HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Olli Määttä (2012, 22nd overall, Pittsburgh)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
  #101
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
CSS has him at 13.
Now you're thinking of ISS. CSS hasn't released it's rankings yet.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
  #102
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
CSS has him at 13.
Sorry, ISS. CSS out tomorrow

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:25 PM
  #103
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,951
vCash: 50
Bump, update on Määttäs play? Seems like he is doing okay(ish), atleast statswise? 1+14=15 in 30 games with 13 PIM..

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:44 PM
  #104
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Bump, update on Määttäs play? Seems like he is doing okay(ish), atleast statswise? 1+14=15 in 30 games with 13 PIM..
His stats really don't tell the whole story. When you see him live, he's great at making the first outlet pass out of the zone, moreso than not wins the one-on-one battles, and uses his skating to often skate the puck out of trouble or bail out a teammate. Really is in control when he's out there.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
  #105
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,951
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
His stats really don't tell the whole story. When you see him live, he's great at making the first outlet pass out of the zone, moreso than not wins the one-on-one battles, and uses his skating to often skate the puck out of trouble or bail out a teammate. Really is in control when he's out there.
Thanks for the info, finnish media doesn't really cover anything about the CHL. I think the only news I've heard about Määttä this season in finnish media was when he got into a fight.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
  #106
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
How much ice time does he clock average for a game?

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:14 PM
  #107
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London or Gaspe
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
How much ice time does he clock average for a game?
Somewhere between 22-27 minutes a game depending on injuries I think he may have play 30 once or twice.

He had a really good start to the year and his play has stayed consistent but the last month or so he's been tossing in a some bad games. But he'll back it up with a good one.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
  #108
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Thanks for the info, finnish media doesn't really cover anything about the CHL. I think the only news I've heard about Määttä this season in finnish media was when he got into a fight.
You're welcome kindly. He should be a standout at the WJC's.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:02 PM
  #109
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Where should he rank at this point? I haven't followed him closely. He was lacking the mean streak last time I checked. Thats propably why he is slipping.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:37 AM
  #110
Raptactics29
Registered User
 
Raptactics29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,821
vCash: 500
He's still a top 20-25 pick in my mind. Maatta just doesn't make many mistakes. Such a safe pick, I feel his bust potential is extremely low.. almost a sure fire NHLer.

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
  #111
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Somewhere between 22-27 minutes a game depending on injuries I think he may have play 30 once or twice.

He had a really good start to the year and his play has stayed consistent but the last month or so he's been tossing in a some bad games. But he'll back it up with a good one.
Of the d-men from OHL heading to WJC, where do you think he rank in that group? Top 10?

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
  #112
FinHockey
Nuke the whales
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
He's still a top 20-25 pick in my mind. Maatta just doesn't make many mistakes. Such a safe pick, I feel his bust potential is extremely low.. almost a sure fire NHLer.
Would Toni Lydman be a good comparison?

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
  #113
ToBBa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
Would Toni Lydman be a good comparison?
I would say Teppo Numminen but Lydman is a good one too

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:08 PM
  #114
MiGician
Registered User
 
MiGician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
Would Toni Lydman be a good comparison?
Would love to have an other Lydman in our defense. He is so underrated. And of course new Numminen would be even better

MiGician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
  #115
FinHockey
Nuke the whales
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,614
vCash: 50
He just sounds like a Lydman. Few mistakes, lots of ice time and a decent offensive game.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  #116
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,951
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
He just sounds like a Lydman. Few mistakes, lots of ice time and a decent offensive game.
Hope Määttä likes metal too.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:06 PM
  #117
FinHockey
Nuke the whales
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Hope Määttä likes metal too.
Lydman's in a band too, isn't he?

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
  #118
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,951
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
Lydman's in a band too, isn't he?
From his wiki page.

Quote:
Lydman is also a guitarist in the band Mononen, which was started by some friends of his.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
  #119
Password
Registered User
 
Password's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Is he playing 1st or 2nd D pairing? And with who is he pairing?

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:34 PM
  #120
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 31,395
vCash: 2049
Kid sounds like a stud, I hope the Isles can snatch another pick and grab him around 20-30.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
  #121
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Kid sounds like a stud, I hope the Isles can snatch another pick and grab him around 20-30.
Saw the kid a good bit at the U-18 last spring.

Really enjoyed his play. He can be a real horse. He's definitely motivated. He plays every aspect of the game, but does have some attributes that reminded me of an extremely responsible Janne Niiniimaaa - before the knee problems.

Here's a little interview I conducted with him at the tourney.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...le_olli_maata/

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:11 AM
  #122
SittingDuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hyvinkää
Country: Finland
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Seems like the thread is dead so i thought to enlighten it a bit, Any news about his injure? i read somewhere that he actually played a game a couple of weeks ago but got injured again.

SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 04:36 AM
  #123
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
I heard that he recovered but had to skip games due to influenza or something like that

YARR123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
  #124
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 31,395
vCash: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Saw the kid a good bit at the U-18 last spring.

Really enjoyed his play. He can be a real horse. He's definitely motivated. He plays every aspect of the game, but does have some attributes that reminded me of an extremely responsible Janne Niiniimaaa - before the knee problems.

Here's a little interview I conducted with him at the tourney.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...le_olli_maata/
Thanks Chap

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
  #125
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck View Post
Seems like the thread is dead so i thought to enlighten it a bit, Any news about his injure? i read somewhere that he actually played a game a couple of weeks ago but got injured again.
He is back now, but seems to be a step slow and has been taking some more big hits since returning.

Overall I don't think he has been great for the Knights this season. He has been very quiet, I thought he would be able to stand out more and show some offensive prowess. He has kind of blended in on the Knights blueline. That's a great attribute for defenseman at the pro level. But usually high end NHL defenseman don't 'just blend in' when they are CHL players.

I certainly don't see him as a first round. He has probably slid to late 2nd/3rd rounder.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.