HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Tomas Kopecky

Old
06-29-2011, 10:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Tomas Kopecky

4 Years, $12M
Nice job Tomas.
It's shows how petty the Wings fans were when they joked about Kopy being drastically overpaid at $1.2M per year.
But wow. $3M a year? That's gonna be a tough one to live up to, IMO.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I liked and pulled for Kopecky here. But he's a 20 point guy. Circumstances converged and he managed to put double his career high in points this past season, but I don't think there's a chance he duplicates it. $1.2m was an overpayment at the time, and is for what I think he's likely to give you. $3m, while I'm happy he scored a big pay day for himself, is going to look awful for the Panthers.

06-29-2011, 11:11 PM
waltdetroit

Good for him.

Kopecky has 37 goals and 58 assists in 338 NHL games.

Kinda puts a different light on Flips contract.

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Here's the thing, though.
Give a player the ice time and the situational time, he's gonna produce at a different level.
But Abdelkader on Datsyuk's wing and in front of the net on the PP, he's going to put up far more points.

I think Kopecky looked very, very good playing with Sharp and Hossa. And I think he can be very effective playing on a line that dumps it in, battle son the boards, cycles and crashes the net. Provided the other guys have some skill and speed.

I think he'll look pretty good with Shawn Matthias next year.

Looking at that Florida team. They're not too far away from being fairly good Course, it's how the coaches put it together, too.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

He doesn't get that much on a team not needing to reach the cap floor.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Give a player the ice time and the situational time, he's gonna produce at a different level.
But Abdelkader on Datsyuk's wing and in front of the net on the PP, he's going to put up far more points.

I think Kopecky looked very, very good playing with Sharp and Hossa. And I think he can be very effective playing on a line that dumps it in, battle son the boards, cycles and crashes the net. Provided the other guys have some skill and speed.

Looking at that Florida team. They're not too far away from being fairly good Course, it's how the coaches put it together, too.
But put a more gifted player with Sharp and Hossa and you're probably more likely to get someone scoring more than 15 goals. But, for $1.2m, it's nice that he could step up and fill that role when they needed him to - as I'm sure Abdelkader could do (provided he kept his stick less than 5 inches off the ice at all times...).

But you then end up with someone thinking that the guy might belong up there and paying him $3M a season. I really liked Kopecky as a depth player. I liked how he initiated contact, how he was willing to go into the ugly spots of the ice and get smacked for it and keep going, but I just don't think he has the hands or the hockey sense to be a permanent top6 guy. Maybe he can become a middl6 guy, and carve out a role with the right linemates (like Holmstrom has) but I think Kopecky has a long way to go for that.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:15 AM
acetehubernoob

Florida is just trying to reach the cap min, they are going to overpay for a few guys here and there.

acetehubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Reminds me of Martin Lapointe's first big payday... and the ineptitude that followed.

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:58 AM
DarkReign

He can thank Hossa, not his abilities.

DarkReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
pokerandpucks
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
He can thank Hossa, not his abilities.
He can think Florida being about $30 mil below the cap floor before they signed him. I can't believe they traded Olesz when they got Campbell, you'd think they would have kept him to help them get to the floor.

pokerandpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:51 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerandpucks View Post
He can think Florida being about $30 mil below the cap floor before they signed him. I can't believe they traded Olesz when they got Campbell, you'd think they would have kept him to help them get to the floor.
Good point. Youre probably more right than I am.

DarkReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
tfong

Abdelkader is going to be our next Holmstrom but faster I hope.

I liked Kopecky, but this deal was likely strictly to get FLA to the cap floor anyways.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Abdelkader is going to be our next Holmstrom but faster I hope.

I liked Kopecky, but this deal was likely strictly to get FLA to the cap floor anyways.
If it was one year, maybe two, I'd agree with that. But four years? If they are that desperate to get to the floor, they could have found better (shorter) solutions for that.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

I'd be surprised if either Matthias or Kopecky even get to 40 points. Heck, even 30. Going from Sharp and Hossa as linemates to a guy who's never even hit 20 points? Sharp is probably going to score more goals next year alone than Kopecky's entire line in Florida will manage.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I'd be surprised if either Matthias or Kopecky even get to 40 points. Heck, even 30. Going from Sharp and Hossa as linemates to a guy who's never even hit 20 points? Sharp is probably going to score more goals next year alone than Kopecky's entire line in Florida will manage.
You may be right. But I think both guys are big, strong forwards with above average skill/hockey sense and could make for an imposing line, even if it isn't that productive.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
It's shows how petty the Wings fans were when they joked about Kopy being drastically overpaid at $1.2M per year.
The more things change, the more they stay the same..

With a rising salary cap, expect more bad contracts to be handed out

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Tallon is the probably the perfect GM for Florida. He (genuinely) befriends the players to the point that they want to play for him, and he loves to give out money. Works out nicely for a team that offers little allure and needs to spend.

Good for Kopecky. This contract cements his career as a successful one. He has a Cup and now has his pay day. Everything from here on out is gravy for him.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Tallon is the probably the perfect GM for Florida. He (genuinely) befriends the players to the point that they want to play for him, and he loves to give out money. Works out nicely for a team that offers little allure and needs to spend.

Good for Kopecky. This contract cements his career as a successful one. He has a Cup and now has his pay day. Everything from here on out is gravy for him.
Actually he has 2 Cups. He was injured during the Wings run though.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Let's see how he does in Florida. My bet is he bombs and Florida are stuck with him for the remainder of his contract. Without a Hossa, Datsyuk, etc, this guy is nothing.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Let's see how he does in Florida. My bet is he bombs and Florida are stuck with him for the remainder of his contract. Without a Hossa, Datsyuk, etc, this guy is nothing.
The disdain for this guy is incredible.

Or pathetic.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
WingsOverAvs
Non Right Winger

Kopecky is serviceable filler. And now, an overpaid serviceable filler. Guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NHL. Expendable when necessary. I have no issue with the man, that's just what he is...

WingsOverAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:

Or pathetic.
You think he is going to thrive on a team like Florida? A franchise that is going to be probably one of, if not the worst teams for a couple of years, that has no offense, no defense and with Vokoun gone...no goaltending. I'm not criticizing this guys' ability, but he thrives off players who can make things happen. He's not a playmaker and he isn't a goalscorer. Just a guy you have on your line to complete a play or stand in front of the net. Nothing more.

He has size, but doesn't use that much. His skating isn't fantastic either. He's just an average overpaid NHL'er. Call it disdain if you want, but I'm just stating my opinion of how he will do in a weak team and weak organization. Florida for a first overall pick next year...book it.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:38 PM
detredWINgs

He could feasibly get 20 minutes a night in Florida, and put up 40+ points. Of course, for 20 minutes a night, he should be putting up 60+ points.

This happens every year. An average player gets a lot of money after one good season. The hype will die soon enough...

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Stephen Weiss, David Booth and...Mike Santorelli get 40+ points on this team. Kopecky is going to be hard pressed to reproduce his best ever season in the NHL with the Florida ****ing Panthers. I mean...come on!

Old
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:

Or pathetic.
Or nonexistent?