HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHLPA is investigating the Nashville Predators

Old
07-15-2011, 02:00 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I haven't seen the complaint made public anywhere. What were the Preds accused of doing?
Anyone?

All I can find on the 'net is exactly what gopreds9 indicated, that the Preds sent the offers on the last day ("last minute") and so they weren't received until the next day. (I assumed that maybe due to not having some other common confirmation earlier such as a fax the NHLPA decide they had a good test case.) But SLake seems to be saying that's not what they were accused of doing, and that Poile indicated a technicality.

So what was the complaint?

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-15-2011 at 02:05 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:27 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Anyone?

All I can find on the 'net is exactly what gopreds9 indicated, that the Preds sent the offers on the last day ("last minute") and so they weren't received until the next day. (I assumed that maybe due to not having some other common confirmation earlier such as a fax the NHLPA decide they had a good test case.) But SLake seems to be saying that's not what they were accused of doing, and that Poile indicated a technicality.

So what was the complaint?
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ts-wait-ruling

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...le%20Predators

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I wonder whether the technicality was that EDT is not the same thing as EST. If Poile et al sent the qualifying offers at 4 CDT, that is 6 PM EST. I can't remember the actual wording of the CBA--was daylight savings time taken into consideration? That would be quite a loophole!

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:14 PM
OpenWheel

Thanks. But how do those answer the question? They don't say anything at all about what the accusation was as to how the Preds failed to meet the qualifying offer requirements.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Thanks. But how do those answer the question? They don't say anything at all about what the accusation was as to how the Preds failed to meet the qualifying offer requirements.
The NHL Players’ Association has filed a grievance against the Nashville Predators, claiming the team did not tender qualifying offers to restricted free agents as mandated by the collective bargaining agreement, an NHLPA spokesman said Wednesday night.

If an arbitrator rules in favor of the NHLPA, all of the Predators’ restricted free agents would become unrestricted free agents, meaning they could sign with another team without compensation for the Predators.

A ruling is expected to be made quickly and could affect Sergei Kostitsyn, Cal O’Reilly, Nick Spaling, Matt Halischuk, Chris Mueller, Andreas Thuresson and Linus Klasen.

Under terms of the labor agreement, qualifying offers were due at 4 p.m. Central on Monday. A Predators spokesman said the team had met the deadline.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:24 PM
OpenWheel

Thanks. But how does that answer the question in any way? I was already aware what lack of information was in the local fishwrapper. How did the Preds fail to meet the requirements? Was the claim that they were mailed late? Received late? That they got the paperwork by 4 pm but there was a standard page missing so they were invalid at that time? What?

SLake indicated someone was a bit ignorant for thinking the Preds flirted with danger by sending stuff out at the last minute. Which is what those links seem to say happened, to me. I'm trying to find out what some of the insiders seem to know. If nobody does know, fine. Or if they can't say due to privileged sources, also fine.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-15-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I have no idea what actually happened. At one point it seemed the question had to do with what constituted the QO being "tendered"--was it tendered when the team sent it out or when the player received it. That question doesn't seem to have been answered but maybe they'll clarify it within the NHL for the future.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
From my understanding, the Preds sent their QO's by overnight courier by the deadline, but did not fax the offers to the PA, players, or the league. Therefore the NHLPA were claiming that the offers were not submitted in time and were therefore invalid.

My comment regarding the ignorance of the comment I mentioned referred to the Preds doing this on the last day when the vast majority (as in everyone outside of maybe 5 teams) wait until hours prior to the deadline each season to submit their offers as well. It's common practice. Furthermore, the Preds wouldn't have changed anything they did regardless of whether or not they had another hour or two. What they were accused of doing was an omission, they took no action...they didn't do anything past the deadline.

This basically all comes down to a new employee doing something for the first time and omitting a step that wasn't in the guidelines, but was common practice. I'm sure he's learned from the experience and will always fax things in the future. It obviously is also a breakdown in oversight that I'm sure won't be overlooked in the future.

The situation is over now though. Lessons learned, no damage done, and all parties satisfied.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:07 PM
OpenWheel

Thank you. Appreciate the response. That's what I've been assuming. I got confused because I thought you were implying some other technicality possibly.

It seems odd to me that teams have been doing it the same way and only now was the question of the deadline filed about. But probably the NHLPA felt as long as the faxes were going out they wouldn't have a good case. But I thought the bargaining agreement said by "courier" so I don't see why the faxes matter.

Yeah, I'm sure 'lesson learned". It didn't cost the team much if anything anyway.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The situation is over now though. Lessons learned, no damage done, and all parties satisfied.
Bam. I'm just as curious as everyone else, but at the end of the day it's done.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I think the league just needed to drum up some drama. What better than to figure out a way to list RFA Shea Weber (is not involved) in every report on the subject.

Old
07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I think the league just needed to drum up some drama. What better than to figure out a way to list RFA Shea Weber (is not involved) in every report on the subject.
shea weber is an RFA????? when-the-hell-did-this-happen????? and why have i not heard of this before now??????

Old
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Kostitsyn said that he did not receive more money due to the QOs (Warning its a bad translation and you have to decipher things)

http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

Quote:
It is believed that almost flared up scandal untimely qualifying offer to play a role?
- Hardly. Do not know if this is true, but the manager of the club then claimed that "Nashville" in any case would have concluded a contract with me on such terms.
Edit: SK has some great things to say about the team even though you really have to decipher the article IE: "Ke'nax" = Canucks...

Last edited by Webersmashpuck: 07-19-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Who?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Kostitsyn said that he did not receive more money due to the QOs (Warning its a bad translation and you have to decipher things)

http://translate.google.com/translat...%26prmd%3Divns

Edit: SK has some great things to say about the team even though you really have to decipher the article IE: "Ke'nax" = Canucks...
Yes. Sounds like he's pretty happy. And looking forward to earning a bigger contract next year.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Yikes. I THINK figured out who botched this and I am not surprised no one is touching it. I thought they were just rumors but their own website says it. Can't say I blame the media, I wouldn't want to anger poile either incase he didn't give me another interview after I published my findings.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Yikes. I THINK figured out who botched this and I am not surprised no one is touching it. I thought they were just rumors but their own website says it. Can't say I blame the media, I wouldn't want to anger poile either incase he didn't give me another interview after I published my findings.
????

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
????
May I introduce

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64460

read the description of his job.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
COme on, Joetimo-- share with the rest of us, please. If you have to protect your source, we can respect that...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
May I introduce

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64460

read the description of his job.
oh, i already knew that...seth and i discussed early on. but yeah...dad clearly fell on the grenade a bit for that one.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
oh, i already knew that...seth and i discussed early on. but yeah...dad clearly fell on the grenade a bit for that one.
Yeah, early on a few of us guessed he was the culprit, which is why Poile the Elder tried to downplay this so much. The less I heard the organization discuss this, the more convinced I was that Junior was at fault.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

hooray nepotism

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Maybe Poile's son was the one in charge, but to have no one doing a double check on the most important thing we do all summer is just plain dumb. If there is a deadline in any other companies office that plays a major role in determining their future, you can bet they will have more than one person aware of it. There should have been a serious system of support nets under Poile Jr.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:33 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Maybe Poile's son was the one in charge, but to have no one doing a double check on the most important thing we do all summer is just plain dumb. If there is a deadline in any other companies office that plays a major role in determining their future, you can bet they will have more than one person aware of it. There should have been a serious system of support nets under Poile Jr.
Still, if technically they met the terms of the CBA, and just forgot the fax to the agent/player, not a horrible mistake. Just sloppy.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Still, if technically they met the terms of the CBA, and just forgot the fax to the agent/player, not a horrible mistake. Just sloppy.
Exactly. So many people are still so busy trying to figure out who violated the procedures for filing QOs that they're not assessing if those procedures were in fact violated.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote