HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHLPA is investigating the Nashville Predators

Old
06-29-2011, 12:43 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
What do you have to go on, though? I'm not sure if you were around HF at the time, but I clearly remember the majority of Blackhawks fans making similar type statements, not to mention the team and media. It just didn't even seem possible. So far, this looks EXACTLY like that situation.

I'm not jumping off the bridge about it, but it merits conversation. You can't just say, "I'm sure it's fine" and close the thread.
I googled the blackhawks situation and I couldnt find anything as reassuring from the NHL as Dalys statement

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
More info from Strickland:
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/N...g-Out-QOs-Late

Until we actually hear from the NHLPA, I'm intrigued to learn what has actually happened.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

dont be true! please dont be true!

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:57 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
More info from Strickland:
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/N...g-Out-QOs-Late

Until we actually hear from the NHLPA, I'm intrigued to learn what has actually happened.
Im guessing from Dalys statement the NHL received everything in order but the PA may be trying to claim that the preds missed the deadline by a technicality.

note he says this situation is different from Chicagos in which they clearly missed the deadline by DAYS.

Old
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

RDS is saying they did nothing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totally not google translate
The Nashville Predators could not err when they finally have submitted qualifying offers to four of their players. This is what the NHL said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. Earlier in the day , rumors indicated that Matt Halischuk, Sergei Kostitsyn, Cal O'Reilly and Nick Spaling have not received their offer in time, allowing them to be allowed unrestricted free agent July 1. The Association of NHL players had also opened an investigation into the matter.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Bob McKenzie
NHLPA execs currently meeeting in Mont Tremblant, Que. PA official position is they are reviewing NSH QO situation internally.

Bob McKenzie
But PA contends there may have been irregularities with filings. If so, it's up to PA to file grievance with arbitrator George Nicholau.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I googled the blackhawks situation and I couldnt find anything as reassuring from the NHL as Dalys statement
i found something from the NHL basically saying, "The NHLPA has asked us to investigate the matter, we will comply with that request. We are confident that Chicago followed the proper protocol..." this morning, before Daly's statement, but I'm having a hard time finding it again. I'll re-post when I can dig it back up.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Im guessing from Dalys statement the NHL received everything in order but the PA may be trying to claim that the preds missed the deadline by a technicality.

note he says this situation is different from Chicagos in which they clearly missed the deadline by DAYS.
The issue doesn't seem to be with filing with the league, but with the actual players\agents receiving the QOs on time.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
The issue doesn't seem to be with filing with the league, but with the actual players\agents receiving the QOs on time.

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

We have such bad luck

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Is the onus on the Preds to ensure they are received on time or to ensure that they are sent on time via the proper channel (i.e. FedEx overnight delivery, etc.). In other words, if they are sent on time but FedEx loses them, do the Preds forfeit the rights?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:41 PM
puckscene

Long time lurker, first time (in a long time, at least) poster (I hate this login name, by the way)...

Anyway, I confirmed with the NHLPA - at least a couple of hours ago, they were still reviewing the matter...
MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 06-30-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: link doesn't work
puckscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Is the onus on the Preds to ensure they are received on time or to ensure that they are sent on time via the proper channel (i.e. FedEx overnight delivery, etc.). In other words, if they are sent on time but FedEx loses them, do the Preds forfeit the rights?
I believe the wording is that if the preds have timestamped receipts from reputable carriers ie FedEx(sorry, Swampy), UPS, USPS, etc., then the Preds are in the clear.

for instance if SK is in Russia now its not the preds fault if the offer gets hung up in delivery...

Old
06-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan22381 View Post
Long time lurker, first time (in a long time, at least) poster (I hate this login name, by the way)...

Anyway, I confirmed with the NHLPA - at least a couple of hours ago, they were still reviewing the matter...
You can your change username once a year i think

Old
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
puckscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
You can your change username once a year i think
I haven't posted since 2006...so maybe I get 5 of them...

Old
06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
puckscene

Quote:
I believe the wording is that if the preds have timestamped receipts from reputable carriers ie FedEx(sorry, Swampy), UPS, USPS, etc., then the Preds are in the clear.

for instance if SK is in Russia now its not the preds fault if the offer gets hung up in delivery...
I thought they were supposed to be faxed or e-mailed. Isn't this what got the Hawks in trouble?

Old
06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan22381 View Post
I thought they were supposed to be faxed or e-mailed. Isn't this what got the Hawks in trouble?
Per the CBA, via overnight delivery to the player's address. What's not clear to me is whether it has to be made by 5:00 on the deadline day or delivered by then. It kind of reads like "timely delivery" means sent by then, but it doesn't explicitly say that.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville81 View Post
I haven't posted since 2006...so maybe I get 5 of them...
Nice.
Long time lurker too.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Jordan

Mark Spector (Rogers Sportsnet) reports the NHLPA has filed a grievance.

http://twitter.com/#!/SportsnetSpec/...77570085134336

EDIT: Confirmed by Bob McKenzie.

Last edited by Jordan: 06-29-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Extra confirmation
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Mark Spector (Rogers Sportsnet) reports the NHLPA has filed a grievance.

http://twitter.com/#!/SportsnetSpec/...77570085134336

EDIT: Confirmed by Bob McKenzie.
Mother ****er

Old
06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
predatorsfan2015

I think I speak for everyone here when I say:

predatorsfan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
roach9

Tough break for you guys...

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

there goes our offseasons dreams

Old
06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

I'm with WFOME when he says someone needs to lose their job for this

Old
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Here is the process for QO's. It is quite strict - close enough does not count.

In order to receive a Right of First Refusal or Draft Choice Compensation (at the Prior Club's option) with respect to a Restricted Free Agent, the Prior Club of a Restricted Free Agent must tender to the Player, no later than 5:00 p.m. New York Time on the later of June 25 or the first Monday after the Entry Draft...
In this case the first Monday after the Entry Draft applies so 5:00 pm June 27, 2011.

And there is a specific form of notice for the tendered QO:

A Qualifying Offer will be deemed to have met the above requirements if the Prior Club timely provides the Player a completed copy of the notice attached as Exhibit 19 hereto, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto.

And this notice must be delivered as set out in Exhibit 3 of the CBA.

During the Playing Season, a Player shall receive notice(s) from his Club via hand delivery. From the day after the conclusion of a Player's Playing Season until the commencement of the Player's subsequent Playing Season, notice(s) shall be sent via overnight delivery to the Player's off-season address which the Player provides to the Club, and if no such address is provided by the Player, the notice(s) shall be sent via overnight delivery to the Player's last known address.

Unless the Player has designated his Agent's address as his off-season address, providing the notice of QO to the Agent does not fulfill the requirements nor does faxing it to the NHL Registry. Based upon the reports thus far this seems to be where the process went off the rails

"Overnight delivery" has been interpreted to mean via overnight courier and not via postal service even if registered mail.

In the Hawks/Tallon screw-up he first claimed that Canada Day interfered with postal delivery and that the QO notices were postmarked before the expiry date and time. But that timeline was wrong (Canada Day is July 1) and the postal service should not be used so the postmark claim was a red herring. Then he claimed that providing copies to the agents and filing with the NHL was sufficient - it was not.

Finally he admitted the QO's were improperly transmitted to the players. The Hawks were able to re-sign the players before July 1 by offering more money and/or term than they might otherwise have done. And that created cap problems down the road.

At this point we do not know for sure what breach of the notice of QO process is being alleged in the Nashville case.

And the Hawks snafu was not the first case where this happened:
Back in 2000, the New Jersey Devils forgot to send paperwork for Brian Rafalski and John Madden and both became free agents that could be signed without compensation. Rafalski had been making $450,000 at the time and Madden $550,000. Due to the error, New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello had to act quick and locked both players up to four year deals with Rafalski earning $11 million and Madden $7 million.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-174746

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote