Notices

Rangers Buying out Drury

Old
06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
TimmytheTank

vCash: 350
Rangers Buying out Drury

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370324

I know that Drury has had some injury issues in recent years, but I still love his game and think that he might be a good Recchi replacement. What do people think are the prospects for Drury on the open market? I, admittedly, do not follow players outside of the Bruins organization very closely, all I know is Drury's reputation.

edit: Just remembered that he's a center and probably wouldn't fit into our line-up very easily, meh.

TimmytheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:55 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Pass. The guy's tanked...

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:57 AM
ODAAT

Hang em up Chris, it is over

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:02 AM
DaveFromNB

At this point Drury might be a replacement for Whitfield, but I'm pretty sure he's not a replacement for Recchi.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:05 AM
NordicBruin91
Bleed Black & Gold

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to NordicBruin91
Don't hang em up, I need him in my sim league!

NordicBruin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
mtsurette

I think people are taking the wrong outlook this offseason in regards to Recchi's replacement. One of the primary reasons we kept Rex around for 2 seasons (and the reason we traded for him) was to have that veteran leadership who knew what it took to win the Stanley Cup. The fact that he produced like he did while here was icing on the cake.

But now after last season, the need for that battle tested veteran isn't as deep. While I'm not saying that every guy on the B's now can lead a team to the cup based on knowledge alone, I think the path the B's took to reach the cup (winning 3 game 7's) will go a long way with the team.

Adding Chris Drury isn't going to help the team, IMO. His best years are well behind him, and his alright years seem to be past as well, These days, he's more like the guy who used to be Chris Drury. He's injury prone, his production has slipped and at many times has been non-existant. I think the reason a team would bring him in is JUST for the veteran leadership, but thats not what the B's need.

I'd much rather they either promote a young kid onto the 3rd line, or if we HAVE to bring in a FA or make a trade, I'd like it to be someone who can score some goals and help out on the powerplay.

mtsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:13 AM
TimmytheTank

vCash: 350
Thanks for the responses guys. I knew his production had fallen off but I wasn't sure how much of it was due to injury and how much was due to declining ability.

TimmytheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Fair Warning

He's not a guy the B's should be interested in... and I don't think many teams will be, honestly. Played 77 games in '09-'10, and only managed to put up 32 points. And he didn't play very much this year.

Guy is 34 years old, out of gas and injury prone. B's would be wise to explore other options.

Last edited by Fair Warning: 06-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsurette View Post
I think people are taking the wrong outlook this offseason in regards to Recchi's replacement. One of the primary reasons we kept Rex around for 2 seasons (and the reason we traded for him) was to have that veteran leadership who knew what it took to win the Stanley Cup. The fact that he produced like he did while here was icing on the cake.

But now after last season, the need for that battle tested veteran isn't as deep. While I'm not saying that every guy on the B's now can lead a team to the cup based on knowledge alone, I think the path the B's took to reach the cup (winning 3 game 7's) will go a long way with the team.

Adding Chris Drury isn't going to help the team, IMO. His best years are well behind him, and his alright years seem to be past as well, These days, he's more like the guy who used to be Chris Drury. He's injury prone, his production has slipped and at many times has been non-existant. I think the reason a team would bring him in is JUST for the veteran leadership, but thats not what the B's need.

I'd much rather they either promote a young kid onto the 3rd line, or if we HAVE to bring in a FA or make a trade, I'd like it to be someone who can score some goals and help out on the powerplay.
I agree with all of this. The Bruins now have an entire roster full of guys who have won the cup and a ton of guys that went though 2 season ending game 7 losses in the past few years.

This team is full of playoff expierence now. This is the time to bring some young guy's into the lineup to learn from our guys who know what it takes to win it all.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Drury's knee is screwed up

Very good chance he never plays again

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I heard this guy was in the little league world series, is that true?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:27 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmytheTank View Post
I know that Drury has had some injury issues in recent years, but I still love his game and think that he might be a good Recchi replacement.
Recchi's roster spot is already filled by Seguin.

The real question is, if Ryder doesn't resign who's going to fill his spot? I'm betting someone gets promoted from the wanne-be's, but the team could opt for free agency. However, if they do I doubt they go the route of an expensive, injury-prone, older player. They might, but I doubt it.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
bb74

Drury rehabbed his gutted knee to get time in the playoffs and help his team. He screwed up that knee again in the playoffs and it was rumored it is still so bad he won't be able to play again.

This would appear to be a chronic physical issue so I'd have to say pass on the short term deal and money.

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Drury rehabbed his gutted knee to get time in the playoffs and help his team. He screwed up that knee again in the playoffs and it was rumored it is still so bad he won't be able to play again.

This would appear to be a chronic physical issue so I'd have to say pass on the short term deal and money.
If the knee is so bad why would they buy him out and not just put him on LTIR or have him retire from injury so that he does not hurt them cap wise like a buyout would?

Old
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Drury was a great player, but I think its time to hang em up.

Although I wonder if a team like the avs would sign him for some leader ship.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I want no part of Drury, talk about washed up.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:33 AM
bigbadbruins1

So they must have found a way past his injuries.
Technically the Rags couldn't buy him out unless he was healthy, and thats what was preventing the buyout from happening.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:36 AM
KillerKampfer*

Wouldn't be good for anything other than competition for Campbell who just won a Cup and for team makeup should only lose his spot to a youngster.

I think the openings are going to the kids. And I like it. 2 spots in the top 9 and 1 spot on the third pairing with McQuaid with a shot at replacing JB on the second unit. Come on down Sauve, Caron, Spooner, Knight, Arneil, Khokalacharev, Kampfer, Bartowski, Warsofsky, Cohen, Hamilton. I like whoever gets a job doesn't have to play on the 4th line either as thats filled. The winner gets a serious chance to play decent minutes adn put up points. Forget Drury or these crappy vets. I don't even want a guy like Brunnette to help our PP to be honest. Either a move for Richards, Doughty, Stamkos with a fat offer sheet or nothing.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I don't hate the guy, but right now with guys like Paille, Kelly and Campbell all coming back next year and guys like Caron who are NHL ready, just no room for Chris, not a good timing maybe 2-3 years ago but thankfully we didn't sign him to that brutal deal

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmytheTank View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370324

I know that Drury has had some injury issues in recent years, but I still love his game and think that he might be a good Recchi replacement. What do people think are the prospects for Drury on the open market? I, admittedly, do not follow players outside of the Bruins organization very closely, all I know is Drury's reputation.

edit: Just remembered that he's a center and probably wouldn't fit into our line-up very easily, meh.
drury was happy to play wing back in colorado days along side sakic and forsberg and deadmarsh. i dont think hed have any issues with playing wing again if there was no spot open in the middle...

but unlike most here, i think he would end up playing center for us. he is a better center then any of our 3rd/4th line options other then savard. all of our 3rd/4th line centers are probably just as suited for wing as they are for center, so we have all sorts of flexibility as far as putting together lines goes.

im not sure that drury is needed here. im sure we could find use for him as a depth guy. hes a playoff warrior... great defensively... great in faceoffs. great leader... could find a spot for him for a playoff run as a 13th forward for sure.

but, if we sign marco sturm like i want then we sort of get too many bodies around. i dont want to totally block off all opportunity for our kids to get a taste of the NHL this year.

i think i want seguin with bergeron this year... marchand down to the third line so we get better balance on our scoring. i worry abit about seguin's defense so id like a vet on the other wing for his line. to me, Sturm is a good choice to plug into that spot just to help Seguin develope.

if the team does want to add any other forwards, I think someone with size that can bang on the third line would be the other hole we have. im not sure if a line that had both peverly and marchand on the wings would be big enough. I might favor shopping peverly since hes coming up on ufa and will be due a huge raise and maybe signing a guy like joel ward to replace him if we dont think caron is going to be ready

signing ward would effectively take caron's spot... so if we are high on caron then we shouldnt sign ward.

i wouldnt overpay for ward or sturm for sure... and wouldnt make much of an offer for drury. maybe minimum salary and very limited bonuses if i did make an offer.

i think if drury wants to play though... and if injuries allow it... he will surprise alot of people here with a strong bounce back. he was in the wrong situation in NY and it wasnt possible for him to shine there with that salary. fans write off players way too quickly when they get into one of these situations, and character guys almost always bounce back

youd think that the fans would learn something... but its always 'what have you done for me lately'

my official vote is 'pass' on drury but is only because theres more desirable ways to go as far as im concerned. if we did sign drury, id be optomistic and happy about that signing too. just not as happy as if we resign sturm back to the family

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:25 PM
FearTheBear
6-15-11

Players are bought out for a reason... no thanks!

FearTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
If the knee is so bad why would they buy him out and not just put him on LTIR or have him retire from injury so that he does not hurt them cap wise like a buyout would?
You can't force a player to retire if he doesn't want to, or keep him from getting forced onto the roster during the season if doctors clear him to play. His cap hit was $7 mil, and they've cleared a lot of that with the buyout since he was only eligible to $5 mil salary. If he was cleared to come back during the season, it would have created total chaos to the roster. This clears a ton of cap space without the future risk of killing the roster. Mr. Richards, welcome to New York.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
mtsurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
drury was happy to play wing back in colorado days along side sakic and forsberg and deadmarsh. i dont think hed have any issues with playing wing again if there was no spot open in the middle...

but unlike most here, i think he would end up playing center for us. he is a better center then any of our 3rd/4th line options other then savard. all of our 3rd/4th line centers are probably just as suited for wing as they are for center, so we have all sorts of flexibility as far as putting together lines goes.

im not sure that drury is needed here. im sure we could find use for him as a depth guy. hes a playoff warrior... great defensively... great in faceoffs. great leader... could find a spot for him for a playoff run as a 13th forward for sure.

but, if we sign marco sturm like i want then we sort of get too many bodies around. i dont want to totally block off all opportunity for our kids to get a taste of the NHL this year.

i think i want seguin with bergeron this year... marchand down to the third line so we get better balance on our scoring. i worry abit about seguin's defense so id like a vet on the other wing for his line. to me, Sturm is a good choice to plug into that spot just to help Seguin develope.

if the team does want to add any other forwards, I think someone with size that can bang on the third line would be the other hole we have. im not sure if a line that had both peverly and marchand on the wings would be big enough. I might favor shopping peverly since hes coming up on ufa and will be due a huge raise and maybe signing a guy like joel ward to replace him if we dont think caron is going to be ready

signing ward would effectively take caron's spot... so if we are high on caron then we shouldnt sign ward.

i wouldnt overpay for ward or sturm for sure... and wouldnt make much of an offer for drury. maybe minimum salary and very limited bonuses if i did make an offer.

i think if drury wants to play though... and if injuries allow it... he will surprise alot of people here with a strong bounce back. he was in the wrong situation in NY and it wasnt possible for him to shine there with that salary. fans write off players way too quickly when they get into one of these situations, and character guys almost always bounce back

youd think that the fans would learn something... but its always 'what have you done for me lately'

my official vote is 'pass' on drury but is only because theres more desirable ways to go as far as im concerned. if we did sign drury, id be optomistic and happy about that signing too. just not as happy as if we resign sturm back to the family
While you make some solid arguments in here, and I understand that post is not you pressing for Drury to come to Boston, I just don't share the same optimism you do that he could regain shades of his former self.

He's 35 years old when the season starts and coming off 5 straight years of declining points. Even taking out last season, his points have been slipping from 69 in 06-07 to 32 in 09-10.

Yes, coming to a team like the Bruins may give him a renewed source of energy for a month or so, we even all watched over the past year when at times Recchi looked like he no longer had anything left in the tank. And there are legitimate concerns about his knee (Much like there are with Marco, but more on that later)

I hate to say it, but I think even at the veterans minimum, Drury would be overpaid on this team. The things he does offer (leadership) don't outweigh what he's lost to me.

As for bringing back Sturm, the guy who spend the moeny for a jersey of his in me welcomes the idea, but that too I think wouldn't be the best move by the B's. His game was based on speed, and I'm not convinced that he hasn't lost a good deal with his knee injuries. And while his skill set (assumed it's the same as it's always been) would fill the need of a 3rd line winger (I'm assuming Seguin will move to the 2nd line) I don't know if I would rather give Sturm a chance, or give a young kid a chance.

mtsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
You can't force a player to retire if he doesn't want to, or keep him from getting forced onto the roster during the season if doctors clear him to play. His cap hit was $7 mil, and they've cleared a lot of that with the buyout since he was only eligible to $5 mil salary. If he was cleared to come back during the season, it would have created total chaos to the roster. This clears a ton of cap space without the future risk of killing the roster. Mr. Richards, welcome to New York.
that makes sense thanks.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:58 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Am I the only one who doesn't get why so many people think they need to sign a veteran guy to replace Recchi's leadership?? They just won the cup and still have guys like Chara/Ference/Seidenberg/Bergeron/Thornton around...I think they will be fine in the leadership department next season. Just try and fill Recchi's spot with the best player possible, no matter the age.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote