HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Goalie Situation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2011, 10:35 PM
  #251
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack Llama View Post
Not even a quote from someone who's not you, and has more knowledge (GASP! UNPOSSIBLE!) of the topic stating that "A goalie has never left the NHL to pursue a starting position in Europe?" Not even a snippet since you made the assertion? Hmph.
Sigh. I knew you were going to bring these guys up. Here we go.

Quote:
Okay, why did Larsson go back to Sweden when there was a chance he would surpass Howard?
Larsson never made the NHL as a starter or a backup. He left because he didn't want to play in the AHL, which turned out to be a terrible decision on his part. If he had stayed he would have gotten MacDonald's NHL starts last season and could be a legit contender for the Wings' job.

Not exactly a guy who reinforces your position in any way. We should have these goalies call him up and ask if he's sorry he lost his shot at playing in the NHL.

Quote:
Why did Gerber sign in the KHL for 2009-2010?
Because no NHL team wanted him.

Quote:
Why did Nabakov sign in the KHL last season?
Because no NHL team wanted him.

Quote:
Why did Hasek go back to Europe/KHL?
Because no NHL team wanted him.

Quote:
Hell, why does ANY NHL goalie go play overseas when he could easily just be a backup?
They don't. They play overseas when nobody in the NHL wants them even as a backup.

Thank you for proving my point and agreeing with me, even though you don't realize it.

You left out Norm Maracle, he went to Europe too. Must've been because he's just too cool to be an NHL backup.

Quote:
And that still doesn't mean it can't happen. Teams have been known to loan players to European teams for one reason or another. It may be a bad example, but Huet could have just rotted in the minors, and Chicago loaned him to Fribourg-Gotteron...
Huet had the choice between playing in the AHL and playing in Switzerland. The Hawks wanted him off their roster and off their cap, and no NHL team was going to touch him with a 10 foot pole. So again, nobody in the NHL wanted him. Just like all the other guys on your list.

Quote:
How can you call something an absolute, then try to cover your ass by throwing in a caveat?

The FACT of the matter is it can happen. It has happened.
Your facts are incorrect, your examples prove my point, and your argument is shot. Accept it and move on.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:12 PM
  #252
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Okay, you win. I give up. This is why I don't debate.

Norm Maracle should be our backup.


Last edited by RedMenace: 07-08-2011 at 11:21 PM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:30 PM
  #253
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,992
vCash: 50
Would the Wings want Nabokov?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
  #254
Kevin27nyi
Moderator
#21KO
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,992
vCash: 50
Would the Wings trade for Nabokov?

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
  #255
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Would the Wings trade for Nabokov?
yes and I would hope so...

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:51 PM
  #256
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
yes and I would hope so...
Isles have Dipietro, Nabokov and Montoya. You would think something had to break

Are they going to tell Osgood he is gondie today? Conklin and McDonald both signed to two way deals is what I expect

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:53 PM
  #257
Goalie guy
Registered User
 
Goalie guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Taylor MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Isles have Dipietro, Nabokov and Montoya. You would think something had to break

Are they going to tell Osgood he is gondie today? Conklin and McDonald both signed to two way deals is what I expect
I think Snow has it out for us not to get him at all !!! I think he will send him down before letting him come here .


Last edited by Goalie guy: 07-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:02 PM
  #258
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 16,078
vCash: 500
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers signed with the Ducks.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:23 AM
  #259
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
No decision to be made on the backup goaltender until at least Monday. Osgood is still on the run and Holland hopes to track him down in British Columbia this weekend. He has enlisted the help of Delta Force and DevGru, so he might actually catch him (or shoot him) this time.

Quote:
Update on the Detroit Red Wings' pursuit of a backup goaltender:

General manager Ken Holland said Thursday that he will meet this weekend with Chris Osgood in Vernon, British Columbia, where both have summer homes, and that no decision will be announced before Monday.

Holland reiterated that he wants to determine Osgood's health and motivation in a face-to-face meeting before deciding what to do.

“I anticipate early next week I'll know what I'm going to do in goal,'' Holland said.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._no_decis.html

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:02 AM
  #260
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,334
vCash: 500
I thought they were going to talk last week, that trip in scotland must have been 2-3 weeks

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:50 AM
  #261
Run the Jewels
Registered User
 
Run the Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 10,321
vCash: 500
So Holland also pursued Jose Three or Four as well as Mike Smith. That really doesn't sound like a guy who believes Osgood can be a reliable back up goalie. Turco was awful in Chicago, it really seems like he might be done. Emery has issues but with McDonald signed you could probably sign Emery for cheap and waive him if he starts causing trouble. I still think Leclaire might be worth a short term deal. He's played on some gawd awful teams and is just coming into his prime. Seems like a low risk option who could contribute at a high level as a #2 goalie.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:13 AM
  #262
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,334
vCash: 500
Emery is a cool character, would bring some life into detroit's lockerroom, pretty high highest level as well.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:22 AM
  #263
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
No decision to be made on the backup goaltender until at least Monday. Osgood is still on the run and Holland hopes to track him down in British Columbia this weekend. He has enlisted the help of Delta Force and DevGru, so he might actually catch him (or shoot him) this time.



http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._no_decis.html
Wow, Osgood really taking one for the team there...

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
  #264
JRB86
Registered User
 
JRB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
I wonder what Marc Lamothe is doing these days....

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:59 AM
  #265
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall
 
The Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,525
vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB86 View Post
I wonder what Marc Lamothe is doing these days....
Backup for these guys ...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...030032011.html

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
  #266
heyfolks
Registered User
 
heyfolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I thought they were going to talk last week, that trip in scotland must have been 2-3 weeks
It doess seem like Ozzie has gone incognito roaming the globe avoiding the grim reaper Holland.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 10:14 AM
  #267
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...
 
vannzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S.E Michigan
Country: Belgium
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Did anyone see the article yesterday in the free press or maybe it was the News about the re-signing of Jordan Pearce? Basically Holland said that Pearce took Thomas McCollum's job last season with his play in the AHL. Kenny said that on one hand they want McCollum as a first round pick to out play people but right now Pearce is ahead of him.

So for 2011-2012...

NHL starter-Howard
NHL backup-Ty Conklin
AHL starter-Joey Macdonald
AHL backup-Jordan Pearce
ECHL-Thomas McCollum (?)

Or do you think McCollum would be traded or anything?

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:43 PM
  #268
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,312
vCash: 500
I'd like to see MacDonald/McCollum share even time next year in GR. Pearce isn't really a prospect we need to develop, he's just a plug, who can start in the ECHL.

This is a make or break season for McCollum and he needs every opportunity to prove himself. With mentors like Bedard, Ozzie and even MacDonald, he should feel comfortable.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.